• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

chapel

Banned
Well I am loving MP as usual. Played a few hours, up to level 22 now.

I have had little or no lag issues like I did in the beta. Maybe its because I ignore the killcam mostly because it would just make me mad. Though I haven't had many wtf moments yet. So far I believe IW has drastically improved their netcode. One thing I wish could have been fixed is issues with the party system, or that some people just cannot connect to each other. Then there is the problem when people cant hear each other, but others can. I think it has to do with peoples NAT and DNS. I recommend if you or any of your friends are having any issues you setup your xbox with OpenDNS.com, it has fixed many friends issues with playing online together.

If you don't know how to do it, just goto OpenDNS.com and find the dns server addresses, and then change your 360's DNS setting from Automatic to manual and input those two servers.

Single player rocks, and to be honest I haven't had too much trouble with it. I am only playing on hardened, but I plan to go through on veteran after I beat it. I had more trouble on the area immediately after the first building before you get to the TV station than I did in the TV station itself. I actually never died inside of the TV station, I just ran to the left and made it to the one office close to the doors you end up going through. It wasnt easy, but I didnt die.

The visuals are great, as far as next gen games are concerned, I really enjoy them. The combination of everything just looks fantastic. Fine, you can get up close and nitpick textures and what not, but the overall scenes are just awesome and some of the best Ive seen in a game.

I honestly dont know why people still hold Gears up in a high regard, its not that great of a looking game. I dont know it must be me.

Eric WK

Okay. Vyse if you're around, please please please let me know what you have to do at the very end of the last level on Veteran. I've spent hours on this fucking level. :lol

Anyway... first of all, is there a checkpoint right before it or no? I'm having a bitch of a time getting from the previous checkpoint to here as it is. I ask because I never even got said previous checkpoint to unlock until like the 25th time I made it to that point, which was horrible.

Second of all, the first time I made it here I got in and survived until the time ran out, but I had no idea where to go. So if you could give me a pointer or two I'd appreciate it. I really don't want to keep doing this.

RavenFox

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
I never understand these sorts of comparisons since they are completely different types of shooters...
Really? I mean the similarities alone owns Halo but then again some people will drink the kool aid no matter what

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Stoney Mason said:
I never understand these sorts of comparisons since they are completely different types of shooters...
You can't pull that sort of bullshit. Both games require you to shoot fools in the face with guns from a first person perspective. Yes you can do a comparison and get used to people saying it.

CoD4 > Halo 3

BeeDog

Stoney Mason said:

You can still prefer apples over oranges, right? Let the man form his own opinion. :D

TekunoRobby said:
You can't pull that sort of bullshit. Both games require you to shoot fools in the face with guns from a first person perspective. Yes you can do a comparison and get used to people saying it.

CoD4 > Halo 3

LOL. I don't really care. I own both and like both quite a bit. But if saying that makes you feel empowered be my guest. :p

Eric WK said:
Anyway... first of all, is there a checkpoint right before it or no? I'm having a bitch of a time getting from the previous checkpoint to here as it is. I ask because I never even got said previous checkpoint to unlock until like the 25th time I made it to that point, which was horrible.

Second of all, the first time I made it here I got in and survived until the time ran out, but I had no idea where to go. So if you could give me a pointer or two I'd appreciate it. I really don't want to keep doing this.

To your first question, I assume you are talking about
"No Fighting in the War Room" where you have 9 minutes to clear it.
The checkpoint system works like this: If you make it to the designated checkpoint area within a certain amount of time, the game gives you the checkpoint. If you don't, it doesn't. It's a failsafe plan, so you don't fuck yourself over on time. It would suck if you got a checkpoint at one spot with 10 seconds left. So, if you get to a checkpoint spot (of which, I believe, there are 4 throughout that sequence) and do not get the checkpoint, then you know that you are moving TOO slow.

To your second, I believe you are referring to when you get in the room with the big metal doors. You actually still have a few more rooms to clear after that. You have to make it into that room with close to 3 minutes left to get the checkpoint there. It takes an entire minute for the door to open (ok, closer to 40-45 seconds).

Edit: The checkpoints I remember are:
1. When the clock first starts in the bathrooms. (9 minutes start)
2. After clearing that floor and making it down the stairs. (must have close to 7 minutes left)
3. After clearing the room with all the crates. (must have close to 5 minutes left)
4. After making it into the room with the big metal door. (must have close to 3 minutes left).
5. Right before you breach the final room. (must have more than 40 or so seconds left).
The times in parenthesis are my estimates.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Stoney Mason said:
LOL. I don't really care. I own both and like both quite a bit. But if saying that makes you feel empowered be my guest. :p
Sorry, the more I say it the closer I get to my "Badass" perk.

soco said:
Hogan's Alley > COD4
And Duck Hunt > Hogan's Alley > CoD4. Those ducks definitely qualify as "fools." Be real now.

J-Rzez

Oh my... .50cal Barrett with the flashy DE... I love this game... The sounds on these two pieces are so awesome...

I'm in love with this game... So in love... And I haven't touched SP yet :p

Eric WK

Vyse The Legend said:
To your first question, I assume you are talking about
"No Fighting in the War Room" where you have 9 minutes to clear it.
The checkpoint system works like this: If you make it to the designated checkpoint area within a certain amount of time, the game gives you the checkpoint. If you don't, it doesn't. It's a failsafe plan, so you don't fuck yourself over on time. It would suck if you got a checkpoint at one spot with 10 seconds left. So, if you get to a checkpoint spot (of which, I believe, there are 4 throughout that sequence) and do not get the checkpoint, then you will know that you are moving TOO slow.

To your second, I believe you are referring to when you get in the room with the big metal doors. You actually still have a few more rooms to clear after that. You have to make it into that room with close to 3 minutes left to get the checkpoint there. It takes an entire minute for the door to open (ok, closer to 40-45 seconds).

Awesome. Thanks a bunch. Was able to make it through that portion before the metal doors fast enough to get the checkpoint and at the C4/wall part. Finally finished it.

Now I just need you to tell me there's nothing that hard from here on out. :lol

Eric WK said:
Awesome. Thanks a bunch. Was able to make it through that portion before the metal doors fast enough to get the checkpoint and at the C4/wall part. Finally finished it.

Now I just need you to tell me there's nothing that hard from here on out. :lol

Congrats. The last level after that is very easy, but...

the epilogue, which is optional, is a million times harder. You have one minutes to clear two floors of enemies (50 or so badguys). Good luck. It took me a lot of tries to get it.

saelz8

FlyinJ said:
Ok, so, protip for people with the PC version:

Turn off depth of field when playing multiplayer. It's a huge crutch.

For instance, if you're trying to shoot a guy through a chain link fence, your vision will focus on the fence, blurring everything out behind it (including your target). Even if the fence is 3 feet in front of you. Same with grass.

I guess it doesn't matter much on the 360/PS3 as there is no option to disable it, and everyone has the same problem. On the PC, however, it definitely makes a difference, and is an advantage to anyone who disables it.
Ha, first thing I did after I switched my resolution. I also don't think it looks good, at all.

FartOfWar said:
I'm curious, are the PC players here jumping right into veteran or is this more of a console thing. Most people I know are asking me whether they should play normal or easy, not veteran or hardened.
I'm playing on normal, despite usually playing my FPS's on the hardest difficulty. I was most interested in MP, so I wanted to rail through the SP.

FartOfWar said:
For those who really want to get modern warfare on their office desks:

product_image.php

product_image.php

product_image.php

product_image.php

product_image.php
USMC Sniper in ABC suit is badass.

Spike

Stoney Mason said:

Care to explain how they are "completely different types of shooters"?

CajoleJuice said:
We already knew this from the beta, considering it alone was better than Halo 3.

im not trying to stir shit up, but I totally agree.

the weird thing I started to notice playing multiplayer is that the three Beta maps never up, I really liked the grassy fields one in the beta but now it is a lot of sniper and claymore maps.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Man, that AC-130 real-life footage is awe-inspiring and fucking disturbing -- especially the banter of the operators and the fact that war really does feel like a videogame sometimes (or is it vice versa).

It takes 4 seconds for a 105mm shell to hit the ground fired at 10k feet. That's some crazy lag. Quake rocket arena prediction skills could come in handy here.

Spike said:

Imaginery fantasy style weapons.
Melee and Grenade Heavy combat.
Vastly different fighting areas.
Floaty halo physics.
Weapon accuracy.
Complete different purposes for the vehicles.

I'm basing this mainly off of prior Call of Duty's since I only got 4 today and it feels fairly similar to those. (Not a knock.)

Is this really that debatable?

Jtrizzy

I'm getting this tomorrow. Sounds like the consensus is that this is the best FPS on consoles right now.

How is the PS3 version as far as online goes? (I haven't had internet for the last few days and haven't been able to read the thread.)

Spike said:

One is a colorful sci-fi epic and features arcadey, vehicle-laden maps in alien landscapes. The other is a pseudo-realistic military shooter.

Totally different in feel, IMHO. Yes, you shoot and melee people, but that's what you do in almost every FPS. I like them both for different reasons. I wouldn't say one was better than the other as they "feel" so different. But obviously, opinions would differ and also, if I only owned a PS3 then it would be open season on saying COD4 > H3 since that would make me feel better as a single console owner.

Spike

Stoney Mason said:
Imaginery fantasy style weapons.
Melee and Grenade Heavy combat.
Vastly different fighting areas.
Floaty halo physics.
Weapon accuracy.
Complete different purposes for the vehicles.

I'm basing this mainly off of prior Call of Duty's since I only got 4 today and it feels fairly similar to those. (Not a knock.)

Is this really that debatable?

No shit. One's sci-fi, the other's not.

Still they are both first person shooters. Setting has nothing to do with it

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I got my GS.com preorder shipment today, including CoD4 DS and CoD4 X360.

Yep. They fucked up. I had ordered the Collector's Edition PC version. I've already shipped back the X360 game, and my PC version should go out tomorrow.

Impressions of the DS game to come later tonight.

Spike said:

And the setting and what that brings to the table absolutely has to do with the feel of the game. Or did I forgot weapons like the plasma cannon and the needler that are in Call of Duty. Or firing down the line of a gun or laying prone in a field. They play nothing like each other even though they are First Person Shooters.

I could see a Call of Duty/Ghost Recon comparison and even that isn't a very accurate one.

djkimothy

chespace said:
Man, that AC-130 real-life footage is awe-inspiring and fucking disturbing -- especially the banter of the operators and the fact that war really does feel like a videogame sometimes (or is it vice versa).

It takes 4 seconds for a 105mm shell to hit the ground fired at 10k feet. That's some crazy lag. Quake rocket arena prediction skills could come in handy here.
THat's one of my favourite missions. And yah, I get a sense of detachment from when playing first person.

Spike said:

Kinda weird how we find pleasure in the game version that's like real life...

Dr. Zoidberg said:
One is a colorful sci-fi epic and features arcadey, vehicle-laden maps in alien landscapes. The other is a pseudo-realistic military shooter.

Totally different in feel, IMHO. Yes, you shoot and melee people, but that's what you do in almost every FPS. I like them both for different reasons. I wouldn't say one was better than the other as they "feel" so different. But obviously, opinions would differ and also, if I only owned a PS3 then it would be open season on saying COD4 > H3 since that would make me feel better as a single console owner.
Looks like you've got me. I've been saying that COD4 > H3 because I'm a single console owner.

Oh wait, that one console is a 360. :p

JB1981

I am ready to get together with the old GEARS crew for some COD 4 Wednesdays!

Let's do it. I sent a message out on XBL. LJ and I will be on around 7:30pm.

JB1981 said:
I am ready to get together with the old GEARS crew for some COD 4 Wednesdays!

Let's do it. I sent a message out on XBL. LJ and I will be on around 7:30pm.
I'll be there. I played the beta with LJ a bit.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Oldschool, and especially CageMatch, frickin' own. I was ecstatic the day it went in, being that I have a heavy UT/Quake background. It seriously just warms my heart to play it.

CajoleJuice said:
Looks like you've got me. I've been saying that COD4 > H3 because I'm a single console owner.

Now hold on, I gave reasons why the games were different and I said that opinions would differ. But I also wanted to point out that some folks will have this opinion due to system politics, that's all. My post never said that was the reason any user had to make the declaration, but obviously it was the only thing that you "saw", hence your response.

kylej

Banned
Broken checkpoints and same old shitty respawns. Oh Infinity Ward when will you ever learn.

The end of the Pripyat level on Veteran is fucking awful :mad:

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Now hold on, I gave reasons why the games were different and I said that opinions would differ. But I also wanted to point out that some folks will have this opinion due to system politics, that's all. My post never said that was the reason any user had to make the declaration, but obviously it was the only thing that you "saw", hence your response.
It was a tongue-in-cheek response. Did you notice the second sentence and stupid emoticon?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
For those of you that got screwed over by Gamestop.com's apparently widespread fulfillment issue, check your emails. I just got one from GS containing a unique coupon good for both $10 off my next order (of $10 or more) AND free overnight shipping! Brilliant.

What's more, they're sending out the correct package via 2-day air.

the entire death from above mission was pretty crazy.

how much longer is the game from this point? are there any other cool moments like that? I am not the biggest fan of the single player game.

I still can't believe they got 12 massive detailed maps on DVD-9...guess I started to buy into the, "blu-ray is needed!!" hype. Well IW just slapped some sense into my ass, what they have done with this game is nothing short of amazing.

Eric WK

Vyse The Legend said:
Congrats. The last level after that is very easy, but...

the epilogue, which is optional, is a million times harder. You have one minutes to clear two floors of enemies (50 or so badguys). Good luck. It took me a lot of tries to get it.

Yeah, it's absurd. I've made it to second room on the second floor. At the risk of being spoiled I guess, how much further is it and do I have to do anything special or just approach the VIP or whatever?

MWS Natural said:
I still can't believe they got 12 massive detailed maps on DVD-9...guess I started to buy into the, "blu-ray is needed!!" hype. Well IW just slapped some sense into my ass, what they have done with this game is nothing short of amazing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm in for 7:30. I can play for 30 min. I am bad. So I will make good fodder for good players. LET ME IN.

Y2Kev said:
I'm in for 7:30. I can play for 30 min. I am bad. So I will make good fodder for good players. LET ME IN.

what system do you have it for?

also, how would a gaf game even get going with CoD4?

im gonna be playing multiplayer for like 3 hours

Top Bottom