• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

J-Rzez said:
Hmm, it seems like SNIPING was nerfed a bit since the 360 beta. On many occasions I shoot someone dead to rights with the Barrett w/stopping power and it won't drop them? Maybe hit-detection needs some tweaking? You're honestly better off going with a M16 with ACOG.

Either they need to put the power back into the snipers (I understand the M21 getting nerfed, but the M40 and Drag are noticeably weaker) or nerf the AR's with their rediculous ranged accuracy.

As of now, sniping seems broken.
Yep. Actually, I think sniping is even worse with the Iron Lung perk. It's completely fucking broken with that equipped.

Anyhow, played a shitload tonight with a bunch of guys. We just played three custom FFA matches at the end of the night. Sooo fun. We need to get a huge GAF FFA going.

CajoleJuice said:
Yep. Actually, I think sniping is even worse with the Iron Lung perk. It's completely fucking broken with that equipped.

Anyhow, played a shitload tonight with a bunch of guys. We just played three custom FFA matches at the end of the night. Sooo fun. We need to get a huge GAF FFA going.

the last few matches on that small map were hilarious, I was trying not to laugh and wake everyone else up, but it was a lot of fun.

I just noticed that both PC and PS3 have official threads in the online forum, 360 version has nothing yet.

Kritz

Banned
Burger said:
I played with some yanks earlier and it was fine, and I'm in NZ.

Humm, awesome. Though NZ is a lot less remote than Tasmania...

Hell, I'll pick this up tomorrow. It's a bloody Call of Duty game. I'd be mad to skip it. :D

Ramirez

Wow I really hate the Bog, I just had a game where they pushed us to the back area and we just kept spawning there. They were set up in the middle with a couple on the sides, it was a blood bath. :(

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Going by the last person on my friends list that has played this online, it has sold at least 311k on the 360. Not bad for less than a week thus far.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I just finished the campaign, that was THE best after the credits anything, ever. Haha oh man.

Also my Kill/Death ratio is almost 1/1 but a little in my favor at 948/912 love this game.

Lince

Banned
TTP said:
Oh god I cant stand this game anymore. Infinity Ward lied. Media is blind. I'm selling the PS3 version and buying the 360 one tomorrow.

are you being serious TTP or just plain ironic? I'm still undecided which version to get but I trust your opinions when it comes to graphics (specially framerate and texturing).

edit: ok I read your comments a few pages back, yup I guess it's time to consider the PC version (with a 8800GT on the way home I don't think I'll have to put with this "60 fps only when there's no one around" shit)

BuG

Kritz said:
Humm, awesome. Though NZ is a lot less remote than Tasmania...

Hell, I'll pick this up tomorrow. It's a bloody Call of Duty game. I'd be mad to skip it. :D
I have an ADSL2 connection and I would not suggest trying to connect to US servers. Yellow bar is playable but it is ridiculously better when you're hitting green bars. I went from roughly 20-25 kills with almost as many deaths on a yellow connection to 63 kills and about 10 deaths on a green. No, I wasn't camping, it's just how much easier it is to register kills when you don't have to unload 12 M16 bullets (no exaggeration) into someone before they get a couple on you.

Add me (BuG vBi) and we can try and get some Aussie games.

BTW, 18 players is stupid. I feel like this game excels with 10 players max, with 12 just pushing it. 18 players is absolutely stupid.

SickBoy

Game is good, but I don't think I'll keep it long-term. I'll probably play it online for a while longer (the MP is great, single-player meh... although I'll be sure to work my way through the campaign).

I think I'd rather see fewer enemies and other methods used to keep the battles intense... be that a much lower threshold for taking bullets or whatever...

J-Rzez

Another thing that I'm pretty disappointed with it the utter, or basically total lack of a clan system in this. At "xx" rank you get to add a "clan tag" to your name. And that's about it. Anyone can throw any initials in front of their name, no invite needed. It's sad a game of this sheer online greatness got gimped of one of the best community features around. Other games have done it, and done it well enough, and then there's games like SOCOM III that took it to an entirely new level.

It shouldn't be overlooked. It would add so much more for the people playing together as well, and give the game longer legs. Like I said before, it's an incredibly fun game to play online. But this oversight really sucks. No big title like this should lack said feature, I guess I'm going to have to wait for the SOCOMs to hit this machine for that though. Warhawk and Resistance did it well enough, but they're both missing some of the key features of SOCOM like the clan brackets/war systems built into the game.

Kritz

Banned
BuG said:
I have an ADSL2 connection and I would not suggest trying to connect to US servers. Yellow bar is playable but it is ridiculously better when you're hitting green bars. I went from roughly 20-25 kills with almost as many deaths on a yellow connection to 63 kills and about 10 deaths on a green. No, I wasn't camping, it's just how much easier it is to register kills when you don't have to unload 12 M16 bullets (no exaggeration) into someone before they get a couple on you.

Add me (BuG vBi) and we can try and get some Aussie games.

BTW, 18 players is stupid. I feel like this game excels with 10 players max, with 12 just pushing it. 18 players is absolutely stupid.

Honestly, I'm jumping between decisions like mad. Mostly because I can not justify paying $110 for any game, even if it is CoD4. Ungh. Australia needs to drop price of games to something more reasonable, especially when compared to America's cheap-as-chips $60 US.

For the sake of information, I'm on a modest 1.5mbps connection. Plays great with Aussies and Kiwis. With Americans... not so much. Eh. I'm not sure what to think about this game at all.

Hammer24

Banned
@ J-Rzez
What is it exactly that you think is lacking?
- you can setup privat games any way you want
- in open games, you´ll get matched preferredly with the guys on your friendslist, even more when sharing the same clan tag
Works for me. :)

Esperado

beerbelly said:
JB1981 wasn't lying :-O

7yga990.jpg

6jcgu2r.jpg

6jee9a8.jpg

81rlh0w.jpg

Does this mean there's no special treatment for PS3 :(

beerbelly

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
Going by the last person on my friends list that has played this online, it has sold at least 311k on the 360. Not bad for less than a week thus far.

I hope it sells close to 3 million combined (PC/PS3/360) by the end of the year. I think I am liking the MP here almost as much as counter strike.

beerbelly said:
JB1981 wasn't lying :-O

7yga990.jpg

6jcgu2r.jpg

6jee9a8.jpg

81rlh0w.jpg

Not this shit again... Those shots are total bs. Look at the guns, PS3 models are sharp as hell 360 ones are blurry as hell. Take one good guess why...

360 shots are taken with normal or decreased sharpness and PS3 ones with sharpness all the way to the max. He probably messed around with other things as well...

BuG

J-Rzez said:
Another thing that I'm pretty disappointed with it the utter, or basically total lack of a clan system in this. At "xx" rank you get to add a "clan tag" to your name. And that's about it. Anyone can throw any initials in front of their name, no invite needed. It's sad a game of this sheer online greatness got gimped of one of the best community features around. Other games have done it, and done it well enough, and then there's games like SOCOM III that took it to an entirely new level.

It shouldn't be overlooked. It would add so much more for the people playing together as well, and give the game longer legs. Like I said before, it's an incredibly fun game to play online. But this oversight really sucks. No big title like this should lack said feature, I guess I'm going to have to wait for the SOCOMs to hit this machine for that though. Warhawk and Resistance did it well enough, but they're both missing some of the key features of SOCOM like the clan brackets/war systems built into the game.
What friends and I liked to do on the Beta was to target one person from the other team and change our tags to theirs. We would then proceed to beat the living life out of them and claim to be the new leader of the clan and most of the time other people in the server would follow suit until everyone was sporting the same tag. :lol

Kritz said:
Honestly, I'm jumping between decisions like mad. Mostly because I can not justify paying $110 for any game, even if it is CoD4. Ungh. Australia needs to drop price of games to something more reasonable, especially when compared to America's cheap-as-chips $60 US.

For the sake of information, I'm on a modest 1.5mbps connection. Plays great with Aussies and Kiwis. With Americans... not so much. Eh. I'm not sure what to think about this game at all.
It is still playable on US servers but I would recommend against it. Just like I would recommend against playing any online game with a yellow bar. There are plenty of Aussies online (xboxworld.com.au has a fair few off the top of my head) that you should be able to find games through invites during our peak hours, and even a couple during the day.

JB Hi-Fi has the game for $89 and Play-Asia has it for $53 if you can import.

Rockstar

Neo Member
Metalmurphy said:
Not this shit again... Those shots are total bs. Look at the guns, PS3 models are sharp as hell 360 ones are blurry as hell. Take one good guess why...

360 shots are taken with normal or decreased sharpness and PS3 ones with sharpness all the way to the max. He probably messed around with other things as well...

The shots are true, the problem it's not important but definitely the ps3 textures in that level are in low resolution.

cod4suelo.jpg

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Kritz said:
Quick question for AussieGAF. How does the game play with American / European hosts? Is the latency still bad? In the beta it ran like ass, which has made me reconsider purchasing the game (while it costs $110).

While I really want to get this, it's not worth it if all I do is lag. Oh, this is the Xbox version, if it helps. Cheers in advance.

Runs perfectly. No lag yet, even with my horrid AAPT Broadband.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Are you guys arguing on up close textures? WTF the game looks awesome who cares, enjoy the game and fuck the textures god dammit.

Pakman

BuG said:
What friends and I liked to do on the Beta was to target one person from the other team and change our tags to theirs. We would then proceed to beat the living life out of them and claim to be the new leader of the clan and most of the time other people in the server would follow suit until everyone was sporting the same tag. :lol

Not that I'm condemning this, but is this that enjoyable? Personally if I was in a game and saw this happening to someone else, I'd just leave out of annoyance - not hope on the bandwagon (unless the guy you were doing it to was a total jackass).

danwarb

Metalmurphy said:

I can't see the pics. Are these the same ones?

ps3vs360_10.jpg

ps3vs360_720p_test.jpg

Texture resolution is a little lower there on PS3, but it's probably only the ground texture that you'd notice unless comparing side by side.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, crap, looks like I really did select the wrong version (I DID notice the texture issues but didn't realize they were superior on 360). :\ Almost makes me want to return the PS3 version now.

At least this isn't as bad as The Darkness situation.

It has to be the result of the way the engine handles data. UT3 and Uncharted on PS3, for instance, not only crush the textures in CoD4 (360) but also best stuff like Gears of War. I noticed that CoD4 loads entire maps (which aren't all that large) rather than streaming and I'm sure that's where the problem stems from.

Now we have Assassin's Creed shipping next week only for PS3 (with the 360 version coming a week later). Seems like I should wait.

Then again, I tend to hang on to my games long term and enjoy going back to them down the road. I fear that my 360 collection will eventually become worthless as the hardware is so terrible while I have faith that my PS3 will last.

That one already looks better then the others, but explain the difference of the sharpness in the weapons then.
That's simple.

Notice what his TV is reporting? It's obvious that he is using VGA for XBOX360 and something else for PS3. TV VGA input disables a lot of options (including sharpness) and produces a very clean image. I'm sure that he simply hasn't properly adjusted whatever input the PS3 is using. That doesn't mean there ISN'T a difference in texture detail (there clearly is).

At least...

DSCF7961.jpg

GREATER THAN

ps3vs360_720p_test.jpg

Pakman

Metalmurphy said:
That one already looks better then the others, but explain the difference of the sharpness in the weapons then.

Well duh. It's because the blurred weapon in the 360 version is graphically superior than the PS3 version - to the point it's realistic.. That's why it's blurred. In real life, when you're aiming a gun, the gun will appear blurred to ones own vision because he/she will be focusing downrange - not on the gun.

I know this is GAF but this is just stupid. Just flip a coin and buy whichever version.

danwarb said:
I can't see the pics. Are these the same ones?

ps3vs360_10.jpg

ps3vs360_720p_test.jpg

Texture resolution is a little lower there on PS3, but it's probably only the ground texture that you'd notice unless comparing side by side.

The 360s image there looks a little soft and the AF seems better on PS3.
Anyway, anyone that gave this game a 10 on graphics is on CACK.

danwarb

CurlySaysX said:
The 360s image there looks a little soft and the AF seems better on PS3.
Anyway, anyone that gave this game a 10 on graphics is on CACK.
Why, because it isn't the prettiest game ever when you're staring at the floor?

oo Kosma oo said:
There are people complaining about the MP? What?? It's the best I've played since Counter Strike 1.5
This is pretty much my opinion too. Strangely enough I feel COD4 is like a less hardcore CS by just a little bit. Like a little bit more arcadey. Which is weird since they have the breathing and ironsights. TF2 is still in a whole other class I think though. Not necessarily better but feels completely different and is very high on my list.

danwarb said:
Why, because it isn't the prettiest game ever when you're staring at the floor?

The graphics are good, not 10 good though.
And any reviewer who scored it a 10, for graphics, has cack in their eyes. Thats all I'm saying.

dark10x said:
That's simple.

Notice what his TV is reporting? It's obvious that he is using VGA for XBOX360 and something else for PS3. TV VGA input disables a lot of options (including sharpness) and produces a very clean image. I'm sure that he simply hasn't properly adjusted whatever input the PS3 is using. That doesn't mean there ISN'T a difference in texture detail (there clearly is).

Oh yeah... I had completely forgotten that HDTVs can't adjust the sharpness on VGA input.

Oops :p

excellent graphics discussion hahaha...concentrating on the engines weekness...the whole looks great...textures viewed close seem to be the engines weakest...they both look pretty rubbish on those pics

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Mojovonio said:
Holy shit, are you guys even playing the fucking game?
I doubt it. Some of these guys would pause the greatest moment in gaming to wipe a smudge off of the shiny surface of the PS3 and then complain about it on GAF.

Roxas

So there i was...

In the chopper hearing that Al-Asad has a nuclear device, and im thinking it will be pretty cool chasing him down before he gets a chance to detona.....

KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Oh...fuck...

Mojovonio

Banned
"MEEEEH! While playing through Charlie Don't surf, I paused the game and ran out to buy an Xbox 360, the 360 version and a second HDTV. I paused the game at the exact spot on the 360 version and compared the textures on the gloves of the NPC next to me. MEEEEH MEEEEEEEEH MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH. THE PS3 VERSION IS CLEARLY INFERIOR!! MEEEH MEEEEEEH MEEEEEEEEEEEH!!!"

Roxas said:
So there i was...

In the chopper hearing that Al-Asad has a nuclear device, and im thinking it will be pretty cool chasing him down before he gets a chance to detona.....

KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Oh...fuck...

I was like COME ON JACKSON!!!!!

then I was sad

FFChris

CurlySaysX said:
The graphics are good, not 10 good though.
And any reviewer who scored it a 10, for graphics, has cack in their eyes. Thats all I'm saying.

No, the graphics are good. 10 good. I played the beta, and it was fantastic.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Nope, just TTP being TTP.

I shall trade this game because of some low res textures...for another with er...slightly less low res textures all up in your face for the exact gameplay experience that I can't stand because of low res textures!!

It's not just some low res textures. It's lower frame rate as well. And lower image quality. I was more than happy to buy this game for the PS3 even if I had to miss the rumble just for the sake of rewarding the developers' effort in making the game identical to the 360 version. But sadly the game isn't identical AT ALL. So, since I have the possibility to play the superior version, what makes the decision to sell the PS3 one to buy the 360 one so "stupid"? I get better textures/steadier frame rate/better IQ (which is all important with this kind of "cinematic" FPS) plus Rumble/Achievements. It's a no brainer for me.

Borys

Banned
People arguing with dark10x over graphics are officialy dumb.

HE KNOWS HIS SHIT

I'll take one dark10x post about CoD4 graphics (dated, period) over 100s of fanboy ones.

Top Bottom