• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

JB1981

Death from Above was crazy.
I loved the nuclear explosion sequence as well.
Game definitely gets better in the later levels.

Jirotrom

Router said:
Ahhh... I see Veteran is the return of the "Run like hell and pray to God you can somehow make it to the checkpoint to stop the hundreds of spawning, grenade throwing baddies" tactic.
yep...Thats how I do it:lol :lol :lol pretty stupid actually. Has anyone beat the last mission on Veteran?

Jirotrom

TTG said:
Just rented this game... and man am I glad I didn't buy it. I know one thing, I'm backing down from "hardened" to normal. The frustration level is already pretty high and I'm not far in at all.

I see the encounters are handled the exact same way. You know something is wrong when you have to use the auto aim to spot targets. Run into a spawn point or get flanked around one of the corners in the maze like level design and you're fucked. For a supposedly realistic shooters there sure are a lot of enemies, rpgs and frags everywhere.

I get it, chaos ensues and shit is exploding all around me... now let me atleast get a clear picture of what the fuck is going on so I can form some sort of strategy. But no, instead lets seeing how many auto aim kills I can string in a row and how lucky I can get to avoid granades and someone flanking me.

I hope it gets better, much much better. Pretty game though.
I didn't use auto aim, as a matter of fact you just made me realise I should, I'm playing it on veteran now.

Eric WK

Jirotrom said:
yep...Thats how I do it:lol :lol :lol pretty stupid actually. Has anyone beat the last mission on Veteran?

Do you mean the Epilogue? Vyse has.

(If you just mean the main last mission, a few of us have done that.)

h3ro said:
I second the holyshit...

Are those 360 shots or PS3?
Xbox 360.

dsc05406cq7.jpg

dsc05412og3.jpg

dsc05413jj0.jpg

dsc05415rf4.jpg

dsc05423pf2.jpg

dsc05433nt3.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Just started (plumped for PC version in the end)...question about the opening boat level: is my forward movement supposed to be constrained at times? I'm pressing w, but not always moving forward. Is it supposed to be simulating difficult movement on rough seas or something?

Second, I felt quite motion sick after that opening level..don't know if was the scenario or something to do with the game generally, I guess I'll find out after the next level. I never get motion sick in games :|

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmm. Played through the second level, and had the same problem with the input not responding at times. I don't know if it was because it was loading things, so there was a pause (but the game didn't..pause..i just couldn't move). Hmm :/

djkimothy

gofreak said:
Hmm. Played through the second level, and had the same problem with the input not responding at times. I don't know if it was because it was loading things, so there was a pause (but the game didn't..pause..i just couldn't move). Hmm :/

I thought it was supposed to simulate the difficulty of moving when the ship was sinking.
It happens again in the final level...

I don't know why your response is slow in the second level though.

Eric WK

Jirotrom said:
yes I mean the epilogue, how did he do it?

No idea, but it's not that hard. I've gotten to the VIP once but fucked it up by not going for his head.

Here's how I do it (spoilered for anyone who hasn't reached the Epilogue:

1) Sprint past the first guy and to the left, shoot the guy straight ahead and throw a flash into the seats.
2) Sprint to the seats, duck and keep moving forward while firing into whoever you can. Push to the next section.
3) Peak out the left, throw a flash in the middle of the room, sprint to the left hand side where the overturned table or barrier is and go prone. Wait for your squad to take everyone out. You should have at least 38-40 seconds left when you first get here and go prone.
4. Run up the stairs and turn to the right. Flash, shoot, rinse repeat. Throw another flash, grab the flashes on the table and keep firing ahead. Once you get to the last turn, throw a flash around the corner, bank it off the wall and sprint to the end of the room.

Rand al Thor 19

Jirotrom said:
yes I mean the epilogue, how did he do it?

I posted this earlier but I'll post it again for people having trouble with it:

For anyone having trouble with The Epilogue on Veteran here is a youtube vid of how it HAS to be done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veqyPVeJxZ4

The way I did it was remarkably similar to how this guy did it.

there is one MAJOR useful strategy this guy uses in the video. After he clears out the first room and enters the large room where the plane like shakes and then turns on its side or whatever... You can see that he throws a flash to blind them and then he runs in and dives on the ground next to the wooden table on its side or whatever the hell it is... THAT IS KEY!!! By doing that, he made his squad move forward and finish off EVERYONE in that room for him AND charge up the stairs. This is the major time-saver. Get to that overturned table as fast as you can.

Hope this helps some of you guys!!!

Avalon

The single player is all right, but it's not my kind of game. It looks really amazing at times and there are some really great cinematic moments. I hate the scripted events, constantly being pushed forward and the closed nature of encounters. It's fun, but I would never play it again.

Multiplayer on the other hand is fantastic. Lots of great customization, fast fun and very tactical at times. I can see myself playing this for a long time.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Rand al Thor 19 said:
I posted this earlier but I'll post it again for people having trouble with it:

For anyone having trouble with The Epilogue on Veteran here is a youtube vid of how it HAS to be done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veqyPVeJxZ4

The way I did it was remarkably similar to how this guy did it.

there is one MAJOR useful strategy this guy uses in the video. After he clears out the first room and enters the large room where the plane like shakes and then turns on its side or whatever... You can see that he throws a flash to blind them and then he runs in and dives on the ground next to the wooden table on its side or whatever the hell it is... THAT IS KEY!!! By doing that, he made his squad move forward and finish off EVERYONE in that room for him AND charge up the stairs. This is the major time-saver. Get to that overturned table as fast as you can.

Hope this helps some of you guys!!!

Holy shit, this dude was so damn sloppy and simply lucked out. You can have much cleaner runs than this, but notice the final VIP hostage encounter. Shoot the enemy at the start, his head is completely exposed.

Z3F

Banned
Did Dark10x change his avatar joke or was it changed by admin? That's pretty fucked up if it was some kind of punishment. So what if the developer said that both games looked the same? Developers say lots of stuff that aren't true because of company policy. So if Bungie said Halo 3 is 720P, we're supposed to take their word for it?

F@lus straight out lies about PES looking the same on both PS3/360 and yet somehow he gets more respect than someone who doesn't make up crap based on system preferences. I guess it's important to pick the right camp at GAF.

I've been praising COD4 and blabbering about it to my friends for the past few days so they decided to come over to see what its about. We have 3 controllers so we go in to splitscreen multiplayer. Except we didnt. We tried 5 times on different maps and the game refused to load past 20% even after 5 minutes of waiting. Had to hard reset the console 5 times. So we decide to go online with 1 person and we're stuck there at the "Downloading Game Settings..." for 10 minutes. Then everyone laughs in my face and call BS on the COD4 hype and we go play the Uncharted demo.

What the hell Infinity Ward. Pooped my party and made me look like a tard =(.

PS3 version btw.

f@luS

More than a member.
Z3F said:
Did Dark10x change his avatar joke or was it changed by admin? That's pretty fucked up if it was some kind of punishment. So what if the developer said that both games looked the same? Developers say lots of stuff that aren't true because of company policy. So if Bungie said Halo 3 is 720P, we're supposed to take their word for it?

F@lus straight out lies about PES looking the same on both PS3/360 and yet somehow he gets more respect than someone who doesn't make up crap based on system preferences. I guess it's important to pick the right camp at GAF.

clown2.jpg
is that you?

Z3F said:

He was being an idiot. Boo Hoo, his avatar got changed.

Z3F said:

I think you answered your own question.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Stoney Mason said:
He was being an idiot. Boo Hoo, his avatar got changed.
Could you explain how, exactly?

Nothing I stated was actually incorrect, now was it? I have every right to bitch about something like this after spending $60 on it. I was never given any indication that textures and framerate would take a hit on PS3. In fact, the opposite was often said. Sure, minor differences in shadow maps and other odd details were noted, but I could have lived with such differences. I've since played this on XBOX360 and feel that my complaints were justified now more than ever. The textures ARE significantly higher resolution AND the framerate holds 60 fps more often.

On a positive note, I absolutely loved the mission that took place 15 years in the past. That was epic as hell and I only wish they would have spent more time in that area.

Just finished the sniper mission, wow, the grapchics are awesome in this mission, and in most others as well.

I can't believe you guys rant about the graphics, this game looks incredible.

And I played a couple of MP matches, damn, this game is so much better than I expected it to be.

dark10x said:
Could you explain how, exactly?

Nothing I stated was actually incorrect, now was it? I have every right to bitch about something like this after spending $60 on it. I was never given any indication that textures and framerate would take a hit on PS3. In fact, the opposite was often said. Sure, minor differences in shadow maps and other odd details were noted, but I could have lived with such differences. I've since played this on XBOX360 and feel that my complaints were justified now more than ever. The textures ARE significantly higher resolution AND the framerate holds 60 fps more often.
On a positive note, I absolutely loved the mission that took place 15 years in the past. That was epic as hell and I only wish they would have spent more time in that area.

That sort of talk was only in vogue before the game came out.

Afrikan

TerryLee81 said:
Just finished the sniper mission, wow, the grapchics are awesome in this mission, and in most others as well.

I can't believe you guys rant about the graphics, this game looks incredible.

And I played a couple of MP matches, damn, this game is so much better than I expected it to be.

if u haven't already..... zoom in ur buddy.......it looks [Sammy Sosa]sooooo reallllll[/Sammy Sosa]

this is one of the main missions I show my friends..... the graphics, animation, the music.....just the overall atmosphere.......is just crazy..... did I mention the music in this mission.....

Bebpo

Banned
How many levels are in Act III? I just got there and am pretty much only playing to finish the story at this point. Really let down by the SP.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Bebpo said:
How many levels are in Act III? I just got there and am pretty much only playing to finish the story at this point. Really let down by the SP.

What did you want/expect?

Nevermind.

*remembers what a friend once told him: "It'sBebpoit'sBepboit'sBebpo"*

Burger

wowfactor said:
Is Infinity Ward being dishonest about the true resolution of CoD4?

Both version 360 and PS3 are rendered at 600p. :(

Who gives a shit if it's 100p ??

Still looks better than anything else out there. I don't get why people get hung up on the tiny technical details of the engine, when it looks fucking amazing.

sinnergy

Burger said:
Who gives a shit if it's 100p ??

Still looks better than anything else out there. I don't get why people get hung up on the tiny technical details of the engine, when it looks fucking amazing.

QFT

I don't really find the PS3 version "inferior" to the extent that dark does. Actually, I've been playing it near-constantly and have had a great time with it.

Bebpo

Banned
SnakeXs said:
What did you want/expect?

Nevermind.

*remembers what a friend once told him: "It'sBebpoit'sBepboit'sBebpo"*

The SP is fairly mediocre IMO. The level design sucks. You either get pure chaos sections where you can't even tell what the game wants you to do and it's trial and error, or on the other end you get levels that are long and boring because of the endless waves with no challenge. The pacing is not very consistent either. It started off well with the first few levels but then got bogged down in an endless stretch of shooting a million guys while hiding behind a corner. Hell, considering how much you have to rely on cover in CoD4, they should've just had a cover button like R6 Vegas. Firefights felt better there.

For specific examples I'll just go through the last two missions I did at the end of act 2:

2nd to last mission:
-Repeat environment that you've done before but during the day instead of at night...zzz
-Lye down and shoot endless guys coming up a hill for 5 mins...boring
-Back to barn and take down the tanks...fun, but there is no challenge when you just lock-on at things that can even hit you (or you can't even see) and hit a button and hear a boom later.
-Timed run back...ugh, trial & error bullshit. Which way should I go down the mountain where I wont get shot up by a dozen guys while moving? Let's try this way? Nope. Let's try this way? Nope. Let's try this way? Ok, that worked.

Last mission:
-Chasing, chasing, chasing, oh wait you die if you keep chasing. Time to play stop and hide behind stuff and fire while taking out the enemies one at a time. I thought you were in a hurry?
-Run, run, STOP & pop, STOP & pop, run, run, die. Oh wait, you were supposed to hide and wait for the chopper to trigger and take out all the enemies and fight them yourself. Good to note for next time! Run around level, but not too fast even though you're supposed to be in a hurry because you might outrun the trigger where some friendly saves you.

I find the trial & error scripted events just get in your way and make the game more frustrating than fun. The only missions I've actually enjoyed in the game so far have been the tanker, the night rescue, death from above, and the flashback levels. Everything else has just been fun for a little and then "ugh, when will this level end so I can get to the next one?"

Following something like Halo 3 SP where the level design is fantastic and filled with variety and challenging fights with just the right length battles, CoD4 SP is nothing but a letdown to me.

Top Bottom