• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

Wollan

I just thought about adding some friends to my list (PS3 version). It sais I need to turn off my console. Why do I have a feeling there's a hidden camera somewhere?

Anyways, need help. The tissue that came with the game.. I mean 'manual', says nuthing.

zam

Singleplayer and multiplayer is awesome, but the matchmaking needs fixing. Doesn't seem as if much has changed since the beta. The host can't just back out from a pre-game lobby and bring the whole party with him, and the matches are just atrocious. First game I got matched up with a level 38. Couple games later we were playing against two over 40. I thought the point with matchmaking was to match you up with players of similar skill.

traveler

Not Wario
zam said:
Singleplayer and multiplayer is awesome, but the matchmaking needs fixing. Doesn't seem as if much has changed since the beta. The host can't just back out from a pre-game lobby and bring the whole party with him, and the matches are just atrocious. First game I got matched up with a level 38. Couple games later we were playing against two over 40. I thought the point with matchmaking was to match you up with players of similar skill.

Well, the ranks really aren't indicative of skill, just experience. I've been matched against plenty of 40s that I've easily beaten (I'm level 28) as well as plenty of level 10s that could tear the crap out of me.

Calen

zam said:
This is part of what it does, yes, but please note that your level is not included in the calculation. It is very possible to be high level and not that good at the game.

Edited to add: Traveler beat me to it :D

traveler

Not Wario
Calen said:
This is part of what it does, yes, but please note that your level is not included in the calculation. It is very possible to be high level and not that good at the game.

What do you guys use for the matching? Is our skill measured, but not displayed to us?

Calen

traveler said:
What do you guys use for the matching? Is our skill measured, but not displayed to us?
Correct - we use TrueSkill ranking on the 360 and an alternative skill algorithm on the PS3.

traveler

Not Wario
Calen said:
Correct - we use TrueSkill ranking on the 360 and an alternative skill algorithm on the PS3.

Ah, ok. That makes sense then. Now I can take a look at the number next to my name and actually feel good about my playing without having to see the representation of my skill go down. :D

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Just defended the tank. Great game but the whole grenade icon thing is getting kind of old, it would better if there was context sensitive dive for cover button or something. I love the way the opening credits were presented, very cool.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Crisis said:
Is COD4 down on the PSN? I can't connect at all. I log in and it freezes up at "Downloading Game Settings".

From http://www.infinityward.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,2292.0.html

fourzerotwo said:
Hey Everyone --

I just wanted to let you know that we are fully aware of the issues with the PSN COD4 Matchmaking servers. We've been on the phone working with the server team from the moment they went down and will keep you updated as soon as they are back up.

Thanks for all the feedback on this issue, and I'll keep you guys updated.

Some superbly subtle animations in this game.

Very near the end,
just before the bunker doors slowly open before you breach the missile control room, you can see the excitement/anticipation building Captain Price by some little shakes in his body and him doing a little run on the spot.
Such attention to detail, well done IW

Bebpo

Banned
I'm sort of in a dilemma.

I was playing the game on regular and having fun and then I switched to hardened because it was too easy. Went through most of act 1 on hardened and the difficulty was good for 70% of it, but every level there were a few parts that were annoying and took forever due to either deaths or enemies respawning for what seems like forever. I found that on these parts in hardened I had to go really slow and snipe guys one at a time while hiding and recovering after each hit and it just made these sections take forever and they weren't fun.

So now I'm thinking about just going back to regular because I can play the game like CoD1/2 there and sort of take it as it goes running from cover to cover while firing on enemies and having a good time.

Any advocates for hardened in terms of fun factor?

I3rand0

For anyone who has beaten the game on veteran,
any good advice as far as getting through the TV Station part of Charlie don't surf?
I am getting railed.

Anyone else feel weird about playing this in front of their kids? I don't mind my kid watching Gears of War or stuff like that, but this just feels like it's too real.

Saiyu

AltogetherAndrews said:
Anyone else feel weird about playing this in front of their kids? I don't mind my kid watching Gears of War or stuff like that, but this just feels like it's too real.

Funny you say that, my sister saw me playing and said how it feels weird that you can be in the role of someone else, and she's seen me play a fair few games.

gcubed

kaching said:
Popped into the thread to see what the general consensus is on the game before I pick it up this weekend and I see 10XZOOMEDTEXTUREGATE instead. Talk about a pyrrhic victory.

looks like you are in the same exact boat as me. Although i love dark10x's new avatar.

p3tran

Banned
I3rand0 said:
For anyone who has beaten the game on veteran,
any good advice as far as getting through the TV Station part of Charlie don't surf?
I am getting railed.
when you enter the big room and the big fight starts, you can always return to the server room, and snipe/kill most people from there.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I have yet to pull off one of those. Can you even do that in SP?

I honestly can't remember. Its been a long while since I played. I don't think COD is especially gruesome although it is very well animated so maybe that has something to do with that perception.

B-Ri

Calen said:
I'm really not sure at all why people WANT our game to be crap on the PS3.

i dont know either. Its a great console, just suffering from lame memes ect., and the media, I guess sony isnt handing limited edition consoles and accessories worth $1000 with each of their press packs for games.

I have just as much software for both consoles, theyre both great, but the 360s hardware quality has really started making me steer my purchases toward ps3.

personally, thanks for not being lazy on the port, and making a great one at that. PS3 owners appreciate that you didnt hand us rubbish other developers have.

I3rand0

p3tran said:
when you enter the big room and the big fight starts, you can always return to the server room, and snipe/kill most people from there.

alright. going to give it a shot. thank you.

gcubed

Wollan said:
I just thought about adding some friends to my list (PS3 version). It sais I need to turn off my console. Why do I have a feeling there's a hidden camera somewhere?

Anyways, need help. The tissue that came with the game.. I mean 'manual', says nuthing.

i just picked up the game today, and dont have any real FPS friends on my list, if you want to play some add me (LordFarquaad)... now that its cold out in the NE US i'm playin as much as i'm awake... love the game too (this goes for anyone on psn too)

B-Ri

gcubed said:

does it at least have people on he "players met" section?

yeah patch for in game friendslist plz, some software already does it.

Mooreberg

:lol @ "Death From Above" Pilot.

"Holy shit, that must have been a full tank of gas!"

"Nice kill, I can see lots of little pieces down there."

Hunter D

Stoney Mason said:
I honestly can't remember. Its been a long while since I played. I don't think COD is especially gruesome although it is very well animated so maybe that has something to do with that perception.
I don't know about COD not being gruesome. The knife kills are pretty brutal.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Hunter D said:
I don't know about COD not being gruesome. The knife kills are pretty brutal.

I like the "No rest for the weary" Achievement for knifing an injured enemy as they crawl away. So dark, so twisted, so awesome.

Riptwo

Playing through Epilogue on Veteran is slowly driving me insane. I almost made it to the end, then got shot in the back with a couple steps left to go. The biggest problem I'm noticing is that the flashbangs seem fairly random; sometimes I'll toss them into a room and nobody will actually be stunned. Any tips for using them effectively?

Esperado

Because people are getting confused while they're playing and looking at the ground and the walls instead of the enemy soldiers, I decided to make a visual companion for everybody so they could learn how to play the game like a pro. I'll admit that when I turned the game on, I was kind of unsure of what visual cues to focus on because it doesn't go very in depth in the 3 page manual.

939213_20071106_screen008-1.jpg

Mooreberg

Esperado said:
Because people are getting confused while they're playing and looking at the ground and the walls instead of the enemy soldiers, I decided to make a visual companion for everybody so they could learn how to play the game like a pro. I'll admit that when I turned the game on, I was kind of unsure of what visual cues to focus on because it doesn't go very in depth in the 3 page manual.

Black hot or white hot?

Esperado said:

wow, its like im back to playing GRAW again.

squicken

Wollan said:
The lobbies have enough stuff to keep anyone busy. The matchmaking is pretty effective (considering it's p2p), no long suffering like with Halo 3.

You have to give Halo 3 more data so it can accurately gauge your network performance and properly match you.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
veteran mode is at its worst in CoD4

i thonk this is the hardest game of the year, though Uncharted looks like it might be on the same road

Mooreberg

Woah @ end of helicopter mission. The action sequences in this game are some of the best I've seen.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hey Everyone --

I just wanted to let you know that we are fully aware of the issues with the PSN COD4 Matchmaking servers. We've been on the phone working with the server team from the moment they went down and will keep you updated as soon as they are back up.

Thanks for all the feedback on this issue, and I'll keep you guys updated.
Hooray and thanks.
Any word on a future patch to enable option to host dedicated server on the PS3 yet? :D
Pleaaaaaaase?

Esperado said:

Oh god, it took me a moment to realize the yellow guy and how you hinted at it in the text. :lol

squicken said:
You have to give Halo 3 more data so it can accurately gauge your network performance and properly match you.

I loled.

While I enjoy the online system I'm already having some annoyances like the host being able to close out lobbies. This creates a lot of annoying situations like finding a game and then being booted or joining a game in progress that ends and being booted again when the host closes the lobby.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Riptwo said:
Playing through Epilogue on Veteran is slowly driving me insane. I almost made it to the end, then got shot in the back with a couple steps left to go. The biggest problem I'm noticing is that the flashbangs seem fairly random; sometimes I'll toss them into a room and nobody will actually be stunned. Any tips for using them effectively?

I just completed the Mile High Club in Vet in about 36 seconds.

My strategy, shoot through the bathroom wall at the beginning to kill potty dude. Immediatly aim through conference room and head shot that guard. Prepare flashbang as you run through conference room and throw it against the far wall as the enemies are coming in. It looks like you're throwing behind them, but it'll work. Use the rest of your clip to clear path, go through left door. Instantly, throw a flashbang down the center of the cabin and rush to the left wooden panel that two enemies are standing behind. Bring out your pistol as you go prone behind this panel. The Cabin explodes, you may have to pick off an enemy or two with your pistol until the others are sucked out. As your squadmates rush by, pull out your machinegun and reload as you follow behind. Go right at the stairs, prepare another flashbang, and throw it down the cabin through the first doorway you see. Rush through that door, and kill the three blinded enemies you see. Now, you'll probably be empty on your pistol and your machinegun. No worries. Throw your last flashbang into the crowded hallway, rush past all the blind enemies, and then knife the first guy that blocks your path at the end. There's another behind him, but you can run forward and activate the 4 second slo-mo hostage countdown before he can hurt you. I'd suggest taking your shot instantly, it's the clearest you'll see the guard's head above the VIP.

Open mic is being a problem for me, I can hear all kinds of mouth breathers and speaker noise over the communications. Could IW patch a "push to talk" button? I'm not sure if there's a good free button left on the controller though. :\

Also, I remember reading a lot of complaints here about the "dead zone" on the PS3 controller analog stick... from what I can tell Call of Duty 4 PS3 has NO "dead zone"... the analogs are smooth as butter. Playing a FPS with the SIXAXIS/Dual Shock is no problem for me and should be no problem for anyone willing to give it more than a seconds chance (and clear all predetermined bias from their minds).

Infinity Ward, thanks for making the PS3 version of the game so kick ass and not a shoddy port.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Ahhh... I see Veteran is the return of the "Run like hell and pray to God you can somehow make it to the checkpoint to stop the hundreds of spawning, grenade throwing baddies" tactic.

Brannon

You know what's bullshit? I've only played in Veteran mode so far, but the super sniper 90's AI and shit-on-you respawning enemies give the gameplay an amateur feel. During the helicopter mission while on the ground I grenaded the top floor of a room constantly from all angles and cleared the bottom floor. There should've been no one in that top room. But I walk up there and open the door and get shot in the face anyway. There was nowhere for the enemy to hide in that room; how the hell did he survive four grenades and a barrage of wall-penetrating bullets?

And that's what's bullshit. Thank god I'm almost done with Veteran, because after this trial by fire I'm going to tweak it down to normal and RAPE THEM IN THE GOAT ASS. AND IT WILL HURT.

Top Bottom