• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

The Lamonster said:
And I still haven't seen ANY slowdown.

I've only seen one drop, and I'm nearly at the end of the game. I can't believe they made such an incredible looking game, and didnt hold back with anything.. smoke, effects, dynamic lighting, shaders, characters on screen.. wow.

rubso

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
I thought throwing you out of first person view when using cover was a lazy design decision on Ubisoft's part, but it's not like it couldn't be emulated in first person. Assuming the developer actually put some work into it. The current COD system is no more realistic, with its complete lack of any cover maneuvers. And that "arcade" feeling is only made worse when your teammates can pull off these moves perfectly naturally.
R6V cover system had to be like that, why? because when you come to breaching doors with your teammates, take a cover, open the door while you're in cover then do blind firing throw grenades, then go in. lean 'n peak won't work in a tactical game like R6. so yes, it's the best decision to have such a cover system for R6V.

Rayme

Cornballer said:
Our quality moment over the weekend in a GAF game was someone chucking a long distance grenade at the beginning of a hardcore S&D match and killing 3 people instantly.
Oh man. S&D Hardcore is my new favorite thing.

Last night, playing with friends on the Hardcore playlist. S&D match starts. We're making our way down the street. I hear a random grenade bounce on the street near us. I'm yelling out a warning as it goes off, and destroys a car. The car's explosion kills Guy#1. We're like "shit, Guy#1 got taken out!". We don't realize... that he had Martyrdom. He drops a grenade as he dies.... it explodes. It takes out another car, which takes out me and another friend. Dead and on the ghost-chat (this was S&D, remember), we were like... torn between anger and laughing like madmen.

Ooooh! Other favorite thing on Hardcore: watching other teams break down. Like, hearing them argue and yell at each other in the ghost- or end-of-round-chat, and then the next round starts... and you see, like, two blue-on-blue deaths immediately.

rubso said:
R6V cover system had to be like that, why? because when you come to breaching doors with your teammates, take a cover, open the door while you're in cover then do blind firing throw grenades, then go in. lean 'n peak won't work in a tactical game like R6. so yes, it's the best decision to have such a cover system for R6V.

Why wouldn't that be possible in first person?

The only part of Veteran that I've tried so far is the Epilogue. Pretty damn hard. You've got to execute your plan flawlessly without stopping. I've got close so many times. I'm going to go at the whole campaign over break, but for now it's almost all multiplayer. I'm a Major at this point.

Drychtnath said:
I disagree. I think the cover system in Vegas ruined the Tactical portion of the game. They turned it into a hide behind walls and throw grenades game. I'm sorry but when you're up against a wall facing south, you can't magically see what's going on at the north side of the hall without sticking your head out. That was unrealistic.

I didn't mean it had to be exactly like RSV. The argument that it took you out of the first person view is totally understandable.

But, at the very minimum, it should have a system like in RS3 where it keeps you in the first person view while allowing you to peak around corners. All you had to do was align yourself up with a wall/car/etc. and press left or right on the d-pad. Your view would lean out from the wall and you could look around the corner. It worked brilliantly.

rubso

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Why wouldn't that be possible in first person?
just imagine playing it in FPS while covering, you'll be pressing L+R buttons to lean 'n peak and other buttons just for firing and throwing grenades, even for blind firing, while in R6V you just have to point your gun at some one while using the analog sticks. and just fire trigger (blind or full aiming) and throw grenades. why would you make it hard for the player to struggle in a hard game like R6V? make it simple by using a simple cover system!

if you don't get my point, play it in Realistic difficulty, and see how effective is the R6V cover system.

Rayme said:
Oh man. S&D Hardcore is my new favorite thing.
:lol Nice grenade story.

In my first game of S&D, I was the last player left on defense. It took me a little while to figure out how to defuse the bomb (which was already planted), and I finally finished disarming with about half a second left on the timer. I returned to the lobby with everyone laughing at me because it took so long. The other team thought they had won the round. :D

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
holy crap

you have 15 minutes to about the nukes and unlimited enemy spawns

I feel like Jack Bauer!

rubso said:
just imagine playing it in FPS while covering, you'll be pressing L+R buttons to lean 'n peak and other buttons just for firing and throwing grenades, even for blind firing, while in R6V you just have to point your gun at some one while using the analog sticks. and just fire trigger (blind or full aiming) and throw grenades. why would you make it hard for the player to struggle in a hard game like R6V? make it simple by using a simple cover system!

See, that's one of those Rambo Six things that makes me want to pee on some ubi representative. Rainbow is not supposed to be bloody easy and user-friendly, and certainly not if it comes at the price of fucking with the perspective.

But er, this is unrelated to COD.

Greg

Rented the game last night and beat it about an hour ago...

The first level was still my favorite, and then everything else was kind of dull in comparison - I really enjoyed all the 'shock' moments, but near the end of the game I just felt the need to burn through everything as fast as possible.

Graphics impressed me on the first level and All Ghilled Up, but other than that it was really a mixed bag. Particle effects were great, as was the lighting at times... but the textures had an extremely dated feel to them. Definite props for 60fps, and I only had minor skips when it loaded in checkpoints, so I guess I can see where they had to cut corners in order to maintain the framerate. I only wish they kept the pace up at all times... after seeing some segments that went all out, you appreciate how much stuff can be going on - until you hit a dull spot.

I was pissed after finishing the game to play multiplayer for 20 minutes and realize how fucking amazing it is... the whole reason I rented the game was so that I didn't have to buy it. After seeing how amazing multiplayer is, I might have to reconsider the purchase after I finish Uncharted.

J-Rzez

Ragnarok10 said:
20071109.jpg

:lol

I don't think many of the people that would play this understand what "Ding" is, or the rest of this comic. They didn't put anything in there that most of those guys can understand, like pot/weed references.

rubso said:
Blind firing and nade throwing can be done in first person. Look at Killzone 2. All they need to do is allow the player to choose to stick their hand or gun out of the corner without leaning their whole body out when they're next to a corner. Leaning should be possible with the six axis. R6V's cover system is a lazy and unrealistic design decision.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I thought throwing you out of first person view when using cover was a lazy design decision on Ubisoft's part, but it's not like it couldn't be emulated in first person. Assuming the developer actually put some work into it. The current COD system is no more realistic, with its complete lack of any cover maneuvers. And that "arcade" feeling is only made worse when your teammates can pull off these moves perfectly naturally.

You should play the pc version. It at least has the leaning ability.

GeneralIroh said:
Blind firing and nade throwing can be done in first person. R6V's cover system is a lazy and unrealistic design decision.

You should play the pc version. It at least has the leaning ability.

I really should. I don't know why I got this version when I have a perfectly capable PC.

J-Rzez said:
:lol

I don't think many of the people that would play this understand what "Ding" is, or the rest of this comic. They didn't put anything in there that most of those guys can understand, like pot/weed references.
Care to enlighten said stoner? :D

rubso

Banned
GeneralIroh said:
Blind firing and nade throwing can be done in first person. Look at Killzone 2. All they need to do is allow the player to choose to stick their hand or gun out of the corner without leaning their whole body out when they're next to a corner. Leaning should be possible with the six axis. R6V's cover system is a lazy and unrealistic design decision.
as i said, lean 'n peak isn't good for R6V, and sure lean 'n peak is possible for sixaxis motion control, also it's possible on any other controller ( MoH AirBorne consoles ).
but it's no good for R6V.

J-Rzez

The Lamonster said:

Honestly, I can never figure this out. Maybe you can do this for me. What's the appeal of fast paced shooters to people who have a personal preference in "blazin' up"? Because out of any games I've ever played online, shooters have by far and away the most um, self medicating people out there. I would expect sports games to be like that. I mean, the people I know that do that kinda just do it and like to chill to movies or tv, maybe sit out on a porch/deck, and if anything takes "quick" movements or is fast paced, they want nothing to do with it.

But man, the 420 referenced names/tags of players in shooters is amazing. And I look at their gamer card and all they play are shooters :lol

Seriously, I'm genuinely interested in this, and started noticing this starting with the original SOCOM.

J-Rzez said:
Honestly, I can never figure this out. Maybe you can do this for me. What's the appeal of fast paced shooters to people who have a personal preference in "blazin' up"? Because out of any games I've ever played online, shooters have by far and away the most um, self medicating people out there. I would expect sports games to be like that. I mean, the people I know that do that kinda just do it and like to chill to movies or tv, maybe sit out on a porch/deck, and if anything takes "quick" movements or is fast paced, they want nothing to do with it.

But man, the 420 referenced names/tags of players in shooters is amazing. And I look at their gamer card and all they play are shooters :lol
:lol Yeah it's crazy how many xX_BUDtron_Xx type gamertags there are out there.

I don't think pot use is tied to shooters, though. I think it's just video games in general. I know stoner MMO addicts, stoner Wii lovers, and stoner RPG nerds.

But I really would like an explanation for that Penny Arcade comic!

btw tons of Warcraft III (RTS) stoners too!

Rorschach

J-Rzez said:

But man, the 420 referenced names/tags of players in shooters is amazing. And I look at their gamer card and all they play are shooters

Seriously, I'm genuinely interested in this, and started noticing this starting with the original SOCOM.
85% of them are lying. The whole "I'm so high/drunk" thing was used a lot back in the old PC fps days when people were playing like shit. Then, they could just continue the round yelling about being high and acting silly. Considering Live! is made up of hundreds of thousands of teenagers trying to act cool, you can see how it has grown. The people that are actually high won't tell you unless you ask them. ;b Playing something that requires a lot of hand-eye coordination while drunk or high doesn't make any sense. Why not just go enjoy your mellow elsewhere?

The Lamonster said:
"Ding" refers to leveling up. The dude just got +10 exp that he needed to level and get new stuff.

Das-J

Law of the West
Has anyone been able to beat Extraction on Hardened yet?!

I'm at the second wave now and I can't get any further than 3+ mins before I get totally over-run. If anyone has completed this section please pass on some tips as I am totally stumped!

Rorschach said:
85% of them are lying. The whole "I'm so high/drunk" thing was used a lot back in the old PC fps days when people were playing like shit. Then, they could just continue the round yelling about being high and acting silly. Considering Live! is made up of hundreds of thousands of teenagers trying to act cool, you can see how it has grown. The people that are actually high won't tell you unless you ask them. ;b Playing something that requires a lot of hand-eye coordination while drunk or high doesn't make any sense. Why not just go enjoy your mellow elsewhere?

I can think of 4 games where my performance actually improves when I'm baked, and those are Burnout 3, F-Zero GX, Amped 2 and SSX3. Shooters? No way.

Rorschach said:
Playing something that requires a lot of hand-eye coordination while drunk or high doesn't make any sense. Why not just go enjoy your mellow elsewhere?
I'm not trying to be Mr. Weed Spokesperson or anything, but I disagree. Smoking the cheeba doesn't have any effect on hand-eye coordination unless you are a newb at it. Like the guy above said, some people like to chill out and watch a movie or sit on a deck, but I like to chill out and frag people.

itsgreen

Ok what the motherfucking fuck fuck fuck.

Fucking hell. Great game, don't get me wrong. Great production, story is fantastic, graphics are great.

But I finished the game in a fucking 5 hours. I feel raped and dirty.

Im seriously contemplating going back to the store and asking for some kind of settlement. I expect a little more for my euro's.

Jeez that was a downer, I was all expecting like 'ok this is the end of this first of two or more stories. But it was the freaking end. Of the game.

5 hours people. 5 hours.

for the record, I played on normal, the tutorial thingy said noob-level, so I thought, well I'll do normal, let's see how it goes...

Ragnarok10

itsgreen said:

Fucking hell. Great game, don't get me wrong. Great production, story is fantastic, graphics are great.

Im seriously contemplating going back to the store and asking for some kind of settlement. I expect a little more for my euro's.

Jeez that was a downer, I was all expecting like 'ok this is the end of this first of two or more stories. But it was the freaking end. Of the game.

5 hours people. 5 hours.
You'll spend 40 hours playing MP, though.

epmode

itsgreen said:

5 hours people. 5 hours.

for the record, I played on normal, the tutorial thingy said noob-level, so I thought, well I'll do normal, let's see how it goes...
Yeah, well there's this multiplayer mode too. And it's goddamn incredible. So you should try it.

djkimothy

itsgreen said:

5 hours people. 5 hours.

Now go play online! That's where the rest of the game is.

number386

I had an epic win streak on free for all last night, I won about 9-10 games in a row played to 6 in the morning because I kept winning, yes free for all.

My impressionsand criticisms.

1. The gameplay and maps are solid, very enjoyable, only caveat is I wish they designed it it to limit camping areas ie. the back of the warehouses with the wooden crates in the missle silo board. I never understood the criticism from dying in a couple of shot's, it's not halo you're not master chief and you dont have a suit of armor, with shields.

2. Shooting someone and watching the guy jump to try to dodge is worth the price of the game alone. Halo much.

3. Matchmaking is broken, it's not too noob friendly and may put off a lot of people. Currently I'm a 24 and even at lower levels I was matched with levels 40-50, and 4-8 on the same game.

4. I think the martyrdom perk is too powerful. I use it too, because it is that good. I would recommend patching it so when when you get a headshot, or you knife the opponent from the back stealthily the perk does not activate.

5. p2p play is somewhat bad. I got killed so many times where I would shoot them them first and die. In the replay it shows I didn't first, or I was shooting to the side of him. Once I was blasting a guy from the side in fairly close range for about 2 seconds he turns shoot me once and I die. Same applies to knifing

6. Claymore's kicks ass nothing more satisfying than planting one in the entry point to the room you're in and getting the +5 on you're screen for the kill, while you're looking out the other side of the room looking for victims.

That's about it for now having a blast playing.

Greg

Yeah, I finished single player in a day... and then I played multiplayer.

Pretty sure I'm going to buy the game now.

J-Rzez said:

When your faded, you tend to fixate on one thing. That one thing will have you so concentrated, that everything else dissappears. When playing an FPS, you become fixated on getting kills.

You know that "gamer zone" people get when going on a streak? It comes and goes but is never constant? When high, you're always "in the zone." You can pull off the craziest things and have no idea how you did it. :lol

It has its minues though. For one, you can be TOO high and you end up fucking shit up for your teammates. Also, when it wears off, you start sucking for some strange reason. :lol

And I think you see a lot of FPS gamers high is because the game is played through 1st person view, which kinda makes it seem like you are in the actual game(ya know, tripping out). Also, the controls are easy to use and there isn't a lot to memorize/think about when compared to genres like sports.

djkimothy

Lancelet Pink said:
3. Matchmaking is broken, it's not too noob friendly and may put off a lot of people. Currently I'm a 24 and even at lower levels I was matched with levels 40-50, and 4-8 on the same game.

I noticed this too. But it's partly the fault of the matchmaking. The party system sorts it in a way to keep the party members together, then sorts by points from last game, then by rank. So a rank 41 can join another team of 10s and 20s just because they just entered the game (0 points) late.

I was a 38 rank and was in a party with an 11 and 20 and was matched with them but matched against a bunch of 8s and 15s. I pretty much slaughtered the field since I had most of the weapons and perks and level experience. So the matchmaking "works" but almost to a fault.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Slayven said:
Anybody having problems with this achievement?

The knife 3 people in a row one, I do it and it doesn't register.

I remember it coming up only after I knifed three people in quick succession.

Calen

djkimothy said:
I noticed this too. But it's partly the fault of the matchmaking. The party system sorts it in a way to keep the party members together, then sorts by points from last game, then by rank. So a rank 41 can join another team of 10s and 20s just because they just entered the game (0 points) late.

I was a 38 rank and was in a party with an 11 and 20 and was matched with them but matched against a bunch of 8s and 15s. I pretty much slaughtered the field since I had most of the weapons and perks and level experience. So the matchmaking "works" but almost to a fault.
The matchmaking doesn't consider your XP rank explicitly, because it's entirely possible to be very high rank and actually suck given that you inexorably get experience over time as you play.

guise

...so i finished the SP campaign the other day (having never played a CoD game before). Ive got really mixed feelings about it.

Im sure its been said a million times, but this engine is simply stunning. The graphics are amazing - hats off to infinity ward. No complaints about the length at all - i prefer the shorter experience with the varied gameplay, you were never doing anything for too long.

Gameplay wise i was tearing my hair out with frustration frequently throughout the campaign.

The linearity is what really got to me. I knew full well going into it that the game is heavily scripted and pretty much a "rollercoaster" experience, but jesus christ this was a bit too far.

One minute your following your dudes around thinking "hello, can I actually shoot someone myself please" the next minute your left in a field with an endless supply of goons coming after you, who can instantly take you out with a grenade (and dont get me started on the insta-kill dog attacks), with no clear direction on what needs to be done next and your comrades shouting the same thing at your repeatedly as if its helping you out in any way.

Its like being held by the hand and lead up to the edge of an olympic swimming pool where your thrown in without being told whats going on.

I really wish the game played as good as it looks. Which i still cant get over how nice it is. The depth of field shit was crazy awesome.

Ive jumped into multiplayer a little, and it is surprisingly badass - reminds me a lot of when i started playing CS. a lot of deaths, but you cant wait to jump back in and get revenge on the bastard that took you out (thank you for the kill cam!)

Ramirez

Um, anyone havin' trouble gettin' into games? I finally got into a Team Deathmatch game after like 2 freezes and many failed attempts, and it's only 6 people in the game, connection fails mid match. :|

djkimothy

Calen said:
The matchmaking doesn't consider your XP rank explicitly, because it's entirely possible to be very high rank and actually suck given that you inexorably get experience over time as you play.

LOL, yah, I noticed that from time to time. I guess if you play long enough you can get lvl 55. :lol

Which is why I like that that it doesn't go by rank explicitly.

arhra

Ramirez said:
Um, anyone havin' trouble gettin' into games? I finally got into a Team Deathmatch game after like 2 freezes and many failed attempts, and it's only 6 people in the game, connection fails mid match. :|
Yeah, i just had it cycling between finding 6 people to start a match, locking up, everyone dropping out, locking up again while it searches, 5 more people show up, it locks up again, etc etc. Think it might be fucked again :| (looking at the time, i'm guessing the rush of east coasters overwhelmed their servers again, or something?)

JB1981

Ramirez said:
i think it's LIVE

my guide freezes just when i bring up my friend's list

and my 360 disc drive sounds like it's eating my discs now, so that's good. my 3rd 360 might be on its way out.

J-Rzez

Well, thanks for the explanations, I always wondered. Guess it's to each their own. Dealers be aware, you're missing a huge market here. Maybe put some labels on your ziplock bags with "Gamerz Grade Ganja"?

And for the people upset about the k/d ratio tie grenade, wait until you meet the people the use the "sonic boom" perk as well. I was playing with a clan last night of 3 people that had that perk on, and would "cook" a grenade while running into packs of the enemies thus dropping 2 nades when they'd die. Seriously, the lowest guy had a 1.5 k/d ratio that game. :lol

Slayven said:
Anybody having problems with this achievement?

The knife 3 people in a row one, I do it and it doesn't register.

I knifed 3 dogs in quick succession. Shoot the stray dog in the 'All Ghillied Up' mission and you'll have plenty of opportunities to get the achievement
. :lol

Sandman42

I got the Mile High Club achievement today!

I had the whole thing down to a science, with perfectly synchronized reloads and flashes. It was like art in motion.

itsgreen said:

5 hours people. 5 hours.

I must really fucking suck, because i took me at least eight hours to complete the game....well it felt like a long time.

JB1981

snack said:
I must really fucking suck, because i took me at least eight hours to complete the game....well it felt like a long time.

Took me quite a while to beat it on Hardened as well. I thought the length was fine. You guys must be playing on Normal.

MercuryLS

Banned
I played on hardened and it took me around 10h, the length was fine for me. It was a very varied campaign, it felt satisfying without dragging on too long.

Top Bottom