• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

McLovin

zam said:
I think I read somewhere that on Veteran you have to go for the headshot

Nope I actually didn't even aim for the head I went right for the legs the first time around.. when the hostage ran off I got a headshot in :D
[edit] woops didn't read the veteran part :p

oo Kosma oo said:
Have to agree that SP COD4 is a big turd to me too. I hated COD2 in the same regard. Infinity Ward should try to make it less on rails next time ,even at the risk of it being less spectacular for the eye as far as setpieces go. It seems like they can't do AI for the enemy soldier so they just put you on rails and have wave after wave coming at you and spamming nades. Thats very boring and annoying.

The amount of scripted, or non-interactive scenes is pretty crazy, even by COD standards. And the mass of enemies that made COD an intense experience feels played out by now, and only works to make the enemies appear like gun fodder. The SAS missions are getting on my nerves in a bad way, for reasons I've posted before. What makes it worse is watching my team guys perform these elaborate cover maneuvers, and me being stuck with old school FPS options.

I certainly wouldn't say it's a turd though, but I think IW needs to up the ante quite a bit for the next game in the series. Just throwing more tech, louder action and more scripting at it doesn't quite cut it.

Wow. Just finished the 'flashback' level. I'm playing on easy and this game is still a challenge on that setting.

By far the most cinematic game I've ever played. The graphics set a new bar as well, it's truly staggering what they achieved.. I don't see many games coming close to this.

K' Dash

SolidSquirrel said:
I think... think that you are invincible once you pick him up at the end there. Either that or the game was somehow sensing how pissed I was and was trying to avoid getting smashed.

Nope, you're not invincible, I got killed two or three times while charging him to the helicopter, very frustrating.

Flock

All the shadows in the game have fucked up pixelated like jaggy edges for me. I noticed this once in skate i think.

360 is dying?

Flock said:
All the shadows in the game have fucked up pixelated like jaggy edges for me. I noticed this once in skate i think.

360 is dying?

It's like that in the 360 version too? I kind of assumed this was one of the things Dark was talking about that was wrong with the PS3 version.

AltogetherAndrews said:
What makes it worse is watching my team guys perform these elaborate cover maneuvers, and me being stuck with old school FPS options.

QFT

After Gears and RS: Vegas, there's no excuse for a tactical FPS not having a cover system. Hell, even RS3 on the original Xbox had a lean function in 2002. That should be expected in CoD at the very minimum...no excuse.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
siamesedreamer said:
QFT

After Gears and RS: Vegas, there's no excuse for a tactical FPS not having a cover system. Hell, even RS3 on the original Xbox had a lean function in 2002. That should be expected in CoD at the very minimum...no excuse.

CoD4 isn't a "tactical" game I think.... its more an arcade shooter with some tactics. Yeah... that... no need for a stupid cover system. Just get close to a wall and TADA! Covered

Ragnarok10

Can anyone recommend a good COD4 Multiplayer online guide? The manual doesn't tell you anything, and being a COD novice I'd like to learn more about the perks/gametypes ect.

Ragnarok10 said:
Can anyone recommend a good COD4 Multiplayer online guide? The manual doesn't tell you anything, and being a COD novice I'd like to learn more about the perks/gametypes ect.
That manual is like the worst 360 game manual I've ever seen.

Jirotrom

AltogetherAndrews said:
The amount of scripted, or non-interactive scenes is pretty crazy, even by COD standards. And the mass of enemies that made COD an intense experience feels played out by now, and only works to make the enemies appear like gun fodder. The SAS missions are getting on my nerves in a bad way, for reasons I've posted before. What makes it worse is watching my team guys perform these elaborate cover maneuvers, and me being stuck with old school FPS options.

I certainly wouldn't say it's a turd though, but I think IW needs to up the ante quite a bit for the next game in the series. Just throwing more tech, louder action and more scripting at it doesn't quite cut it.
not for you, it did for me, maybe because I've only completed COD1:p I will say lack of cover system ala R6V is disappointing as ever shooter like that should adopt it.

Ragnarok10 said:
This is some information about perks. That's all I could dig up at the moment. Wikipedia might have a little more map info.

Is anyone else having problems adding a clan tag? It won't let me add anything. :(

Relix said:
Tree conservation my friend :lol
It might as well have said "Press the power button on your Xbox 360. Play the game."

Cornballer said:
Is anyone else having problems adding a clan tag? It won't let me add anything. :(
I didn't have any probs. When it works for you, you should make it 'GAF.'

The Lamonster said:
I didn't have any probs. When it works for you, you should make it 'GAF.'
I tried that yesterday in a lobby full of Gaffers. For some reason I can't add anything at all (I tried 10-15 different things) and it gave me the "clan tag is inappropriate/banned" or something like that for each one. :(

Relix said:
CoD4 isn't a "tactical" game I think.... its more an arcade shooter with some tactics. Yeah... that... no need for a stupid cover system. Just get close to a wall and TADA! Covered

Right, and that's what makes the whole SAS angle seem like a poor fit for this game. I'm like some physically crippled ballast to the whole mission, and that doesn't feel in character for an SAS guy.

And honestly, it's not like the other missions would suffer from some form of cover action, at least for flushing and flashbanging. I've made my share of posts arguing that the game isn't designed for cover tactics, but I'm not sure if I believe that these days.

Don't know whether this has been asked yet, but are there ranked matches for the 360 version? Didn't see an option for it.

Also, for that one shot one kill part, I was able to reach extraction point by hiding inside the ticket booth near the bumpers. :lol I hide inside, towards the back left and just waited till the extraction team showed up. I kept getting spammed with nades, but the booth is indestructible and if any strays get inside, its easy to just throw them out. I didn't beat it yet because I got my sniper confused with the extraction point and loss my sense of direction. But if you're looking for another way through the level, this is one.

AirBrian

Masta_Killah said:
Don't know whether this has been asked yet, but are there ranked matches for the 360 version? Didn't see an option for it.

Also, for that one shot one kill part, I was able to reach extraction point by hiding inside the ticket booth near the bumpers. :lol I hide inside, towards the back left and just waited till the extraction team showed up. I kept getting spammed with nades, but the booth is indestructible and if any strays get inside, its easy to just throw them out. I didn't beat it yet because I got my sniper confused with the extraction point and loss my sense of direction. But if you're looking for another way through the level, this is one.
Unless you're in a "Private Match," they are all ranked.

Ragnarok10

20071109.jpg

Quazar

I guess I'm the crazy one when it comes to SP. I thought IW did a great job with the variety of the missions. I had a blast with the game.

siamesedreamer said:
QFT

I disagree. I think the cover system in Vegas ruined the Tactical portion of the game. They turned it into a hide behind walls and throw grenades game. I'm sorry but when you're up against a wall facing south, you can't magically see what's going on at the north side of the hall without sticking your head out. That was unrealistic.

I prefer this game without a cover system. You actually have to watch your back and have good accuracy and not just grab the first corner and blind fire/throw grenades.

I'm pretty disgusted how I'm playing this. I'm on the US mission now. I've friendly fired so many of the AI and done the dumbest things that I feel like I don't deserve to be playing.

JB1981

Drychtnath said:
I disagree. I think the cover system in Vegas ruined the Tactical portion of the game. They turned it into a hide behind walls and throw grenades game. I'm sorry but when you're up against a wall facing south, you can't magically see what's going on at the north side of the hall without sticking your head out. That was unrealistic.

I prefer this game without a cover system. You actually have to watch your back and have good accuracy and not just grab the first corner and blind fire/throw grenades.
I know it sounds funny, but the implementation of lean'n peek in Medal of Honor: Airborne would have been a great addition to COD 4 imo.

I beat the game over the weekend, and enjoyed it quite a bit. There were times though when I wished I could give some commands to my squad ala GRAW/Rainbow Six. It was a great experience and a blast to play, but a few little things bugged me here and there. For instance, I couldn't even open doors by myself and always had to wait for a squad member to come breach it. Nothing major, just a some minor things that gave me pause after playing the Ghost Recon and RB6 games.

rubso

Banned
JB1981 said:
I know it sounds funny, but the implementation of lean'n peek in Medal of Honor: Airborne would have been a great addition to COD 4 imo.
wow, I never knew that MOH Airborne on consoles has a cover system.

newsguy

I also beat it this weekend. I didn't hate anything about it, but the SP really is too short. I got it from Gamefly knowing it's length and was still surprised at how short it was. I think it's because this series does such a good job of making the battles seem so frantic, like you're not some super soldier but just a piece of the puzzle. It makes these epic battles seem shorter, nothing dragged on, which was a good thing, but it leaves you wanting more.
Sniper mission was > any other sniper mission. I loved being the understudy and picking guys off only when I get the go ahead. Very cool dynamic IMO

JB1981 said:
I agree. While I didn't care for much else in the game, theirs is the only leaning system that I've ever found useful. In a game without a true cover system, it was a serviceable substitute that CoD would've benefited from.

Concept17

Drychtnath said:

Agreed. Vegas' gameplay was quite fun for awhile, but got old very fast.

I am however, looking forward to KZ2's cover system. Should be interesting.

Oh how I love martyrdom.

Sad suckers who think I'm an idiot for sitting on the bomb while I'm defending when I effectively take out all 4 players closing in to defuse the bomb.

Sad suckers who think I'd enjoy some of their teabags only to find out I like blowing em out of the water. Seriously though this is perfect for those retards who teabag. Revenge is sweet.

Drychtnath said:

I thought throwing you out of first person view when using cover was a lazy design decision on Ubisoft's part, but it's not like it couldn't be emulated in first person. Assuming the developer actually put some work into it. The current COD system is no more realistic, with its complete lack of any cover maneuvers. And that "arcade" feeling is only made worse when your teammates can pull off these moves perfectly naturally.

Calen

narcosis219 said:
Oh how I love martyrdom.

Sad suckers who think I'm an idiot for sitting on the bomb while I'm defending when I effectively take out all 4 players closing in to defuse the bomb.

Sad suckers who think I'd enjoy some of their teabags only to find out I like blowing em out of the water. Seriously though this is perfect for those retards who teabag. Revenge is sweet.
Our higher ups refer to Martyrdom literally as "anti-teabag technology." I think I blew soda out my nose the first time I heard that.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Calen said:
Our higher ups refer to Martyrdom literally as "anti-teabag technology." I think I blew soda out my nose the first time I heard that.

Need better technology. The funniest thing happend the other day. We had a sniper on our team and he was just laying there (we were on search and destroy) and a dude on the other team snuck up behind him and started teabagging him while he was alive! and homeboy didn't even notice for like 45 seconds until he got stabbed.

Quazar

Sol.. said:
Need better technology. The funniest thing happend the other day. We had a sniper on our team and he was just laying there (we were on search and destroy) and a dude on the other team snuck up behind him and started teabagging him while he was alive! and homeboy didn't even notice for like 45 seconds until he got stabbed.

:lol :lol

That's awesome

Sol.. said:
:lol :lol :lol No way!

Yeah it's hilarious when you see enemies just laying around and you realize they're alive. Stab!

Sol.. said:
:lol That's awesome.

Our quality moment over the weekend in a GAF game was someone chucking a long distance grenade at the beginning of a hardcore S&D match and killing 3 people instantly.

Oh man, another level finished.

This is by far the best looking FPS available on any system. I'm dumbstruck by how good this looks at times.

GauntletFan said:
Oh man, another level finished.

This is by far the best looking FPS available on any system. I'm dumbstruck by how good this looks at times.
And I still haven't seen ANY slowdown.

EDIT: and OMG @ the
nuke blowing up!

Top Bottom