• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

beerbelly

Banned
Did Price die? After being rescued you see on the left of you, where Price was laying before, someone getting CPR and, I'm assuming, fails to revive. It didn't look like Price though.

Calen

teiresias said:
If you stay in the back of the big room there certainly seems to be infinite guys. I must have been there a good fifteen minutes one time.

In any case, anyone want to clue me in as to how to actually get the javelin to do anything?

It does take awhile, especially on hardened and veteran, but that's the only way I can personally get past the room. There's never actually infinite spawns.

As for the javelin:

Aim down your "sights" using the left trigger. You'll see green arrows pointing to the hard targets you can lock onto. Center one of those in your screen and you'll get a flashy buzzy thing when you lock on. Then fire with the right trigger.

Yikes, how can people play free for all games? I think I've been damaged by playing TDM in so many games, because I just can't relate to whatever enjoyment people get out of this chaotic mode.

Kosma

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Yikes, how can people play free for all games? I think I've been damaged by playing TDM in so many games, because I just can't relate to whatever enjoyment people get out of this chaotic mode.

I can't quite picture how COD4 is suitable for this gametype either. I'll have to try it out.

Brakara

I use FFA as a warm-up myself. You'll soon learn to watch your back and aim fast. It's also fun to train your stealth skills there. And Vacant is good for leveling up your SMG or shotgun.

zenbot

AltogetherAndrews said:
Haha, I played a heap of FFA to start with and it really is a completely different game. I've moved on to TDM and can't see myself ever going back. Plus, all those FFA games really naffed my win/loss ratio... :lol

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/ga...112111543578009&releaseId=2007042715365068067

We had our best programmers on the PS3 [version of Call of Duty] and it shows," Infinity Ward studio head Vince Zampella has bellowed. He's been explaining why Sony's edition has a bigger online capacity (24 max players vs 360's 18) and, according to those with cyborg-eyes, improved visuals.

"We had two separate teams working on both versions from the start," Zampella says, "Most developers only focus on a single platform, then quickly port the game over to another one. You don't get very good results that way".

zam

Posted this in another thread:

Martyrdom needs to be fixed, even though you've thrown away your only frag grenade (unless you have the Frag x3 perk) you somehow magically get another grenade when you die? Or maybe you were just saving one for when you died.

It's also really annoying that even though you were killed, you still get a chance to kill someone.

Martyrdom needs to be moved to Perk 2, way too many people use it mainly because most of the perks in the perk 3 slot are pretty "meh" so people choose martydom cause it's the best one there. If they hade to choose between stopping power or double tap and martyrdom, less people would probably use it.

Also they need to fix so that if you don't have any frag grenades left, you don't drop a grenade when you die.

Though fortunately there is Team Hardcore, where most people who have martyrdom end up with a negatvie score because of all the team killing that ensues, thoug unfourtunately there is no Team Deathmatch only Team Hardcore :(

(And to the people who say "just run away lol", try playing Headquarters, loads of fun when you are trying to take the headquarter or defending it, and you get rushed by three guys who all have martyrdom, even though you managed to take 'em out, you're still dead.)

Agent Icebeezy

beerbelly said:
I'm curious to see what the best programmers of IW, Naughty Dog and Insomniac can do on 360 hardware. Perhaps we'll never find out :(

I don't want to say that Microsoft 1st party underachieves when it comes to technological things, but they clearly aren't the best at pumping out cutting edge visuals, save for Rare. Blimblim has heard good things about their R1 engine since it is being built ground up on the 360. People can question their games and the quality, but their technical acumen is without question. None of their 360 games are created from scratch with final dev kits.

tjhooker

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
I don't want to say that Microsoft 1st party underachieves when it comes to technological things, but they clearly aren't the best

The argument that there are no proficient developers working on 360 (1st or 3rd party) is getting a bit tired not to mention ludicrous.

I just finished the single player and loved it. The first person story scenes really impressed me and I thought the risks they took really paid off. For once the cliche "cinematic experience" came through.

This game seems to have at once reached the pinnacle of this style of scripted first person thrill ride, and also it's limit. When the game worked my instincts were engaged and I was filled with a panicked excitement, but just as often I found myself being too aware of the director's hand and having to outthink him, i.e. I'm not having fun & how do I trigger the next scene?

At this point I don't want to play another heavily linear, trigger point based fps. I have no desire to go replay any of the COD4 levels, while I'm still playing Halo 3 levels having beaten the game multiple times over. With their incredible tech and wonderful attention to detail, I'd love to see IW go more in the AI based "encounter" style with their next game... though I'll probably buy it either way. :D

Agent Icebeezy

tjhooker said:
The argument that there are no proficient developers working on 360 (1st or 3rd party) is getting a bit tired not to mention ludicrous.

Ah, my good buddy decides to show. I didn't say proficient, they put out games, they are at least that, but as far as pushing hardware, they don't do that. When 3rd party is able to put out better looking games than first party, it's quite easy to see and say that 1st party isn't the best at pushing the envelope.

Narag

Brannon's tip made for some good laughs on domination. I'd go with sonic boom/martyrdom/3x special grenades and just go prone near the flag to defend. When whoever was attacking would finally realize i was there and kill me, he had a nice surprise waiting. :lol

Narag said:
Brannon's tip made for some good laughs on domination. I'd go with sonic boom/martyrdom/3x special grenades and just go prone near the flag to defend. When whoever was attacking would finally realize i was there and kill me, he had a nice surprise waiting. :lol

Sounds girlish

j-wood

I beat single player today on normal.

Hands down, even though it was short, one of the best FPS's I've played. It was so immersive. The last mission (not after the credits) was fantastic.

Brannon

TheKurgan said:
I wish I could say the same - hovering at about 1 to 1 right now. Trying to level up all my different weapons...

Stop this. You're going to get to do the Prestige thingy anyway and wipe all your progress, so build up only a couple of weapons that you like or want to experiment with, and when you get tired of going all the way with Prestige, or when you hit the 10th level of Prestige, then focus on building up all the weapons.

j-wood

Brannon said:
Stop this. You're going to get to do the Prestige thingy anyway and wipe all your progress, so build up only a couple of weapons that you like or want to experiment with, and when you get tired of going all the way with Prestige, or when you hit the 10th level of Prestige, then focus on building up all the weapons.

What exactly does prestige mode do?

Brannon

Al-Asad,
Zakhaev
Zakhaev Jr.
????

I forget who the fourth guy is...

Also, Prestige Mode resets everything except Clan Tag and a couple of minor details. You also get a Golden Desert Eagle. So all that weapon xp farming is just going to go back to zero. Focus on skills that will level you up faster to hit more Prestige.

Brannon said:
Al-Asad,
Zakhaev
Zakhaev Jr.
????

I forget who the fourth guy is...

Also, Prestige Mode resets everything except Clan Tag and a couple of minor details. You also get a Golden Desert Eagle. So all that weapon xp farming is just going to go back to zero. Focus on skills that will level you up faster to hit more Prestige.

you get golden desert eagle at 55 not when you go into prestige mode.

Brannon

I haven't used it much since I got my Martyrdom and Stun Veteran challenges maxxed, but it's always good to know it's there. I need my Stopping Power and Deep Impact Perks; I feel naked without them.

Narag

TheDrizzlerJ11 said:
The challenges that reward the different camo variations and the silencers/scope/red dot reset ...if that's what you're asking.

Are the xp bonuses on challenge completion still there to be earned again?

Narag said:
Are the xp bonuses on challenge completion still there to be earned again?
yes

I've leveled up on the PC version as well and as far as I can tell there is no prestige mode on the PC version, I wonder why so?

SickBoy

zam said:
Posted this in another thread:

Martyrdom needs to be fixed, even though you've thrown away your only frag grenade (unless you have the Frag x3 perk) you somehow magically get another grenade when you die? Or maybe you were just saving one for when you died.

It's also really annoying that even though you were killed, you still get a chance to kill someone.

Martyrdom needs to be moved to Perk 2, way too many people use it mainly because most of the perks in the perk 3 slot are pretty "meh" so people choose martydom cause it's the best one there. If they hade to choose between stopping power or double tap and martyrdom, less people would probably use it.

Given the number of people who use Martyrdom, I don't see it being changed much, for better or worse. I would be happy if they required you to hang onto your grenade, but I'm not unhappy with the way it is right now.

It's a great tool in domination when you're losing control of your flag... if you can get in the vicinity of the flag... so some maps it works better than others.

moai

this is no intent to derail this thread, as i posted many times against console wars centered around this game in the first couple of pages., but i need clarification about this:

Infinity Ward stresses the importance of platform focus
Nov 21, 2007
"We had our best programmers on the PS3 [version of Call of Duty] and it shows," Infinity Ward studio head Vince Zampella has bellowed. He's been explaining why Sony's edition has a bigger online capacity (24 max players vs 360's 18) and, according to those with cyborg-eyes, improved visuals.

"We had two separate teams working on both versions from the start," Zampella says, "Most developers only focus on a single platform, then quickly port the game over to another one. You don't get very good results that way".
Zampella was speaking to PSM3 magazine as part of a feature examining PS3 game delays. His words should give Sony fanboys some much-needed ammo. Grab a copy of the Christmas edition of PSM3, issue #95, on sale from tomorrow, for the full exploro-feature.

link

i was under the impression that both versions only support 18 players, but if the head of the studio says it i maybe wrong. any ps3 users can confirm this?

The guy is full of it, both versions are 18 players max, and the PS3 version has already been proven to have lower resolution textures in many areas. At best you can say the versions look equally good but different.

Apparently all the stuff about PS3 being so hard to program must be true since IW can apparently take the best programmers around and put crappy ones on the 360 and get comparable results. :lol

I guess if I were a 360 programmer at IW I should now realize that my bosses don't think that much of me.

Scotch

I just got to level 38 and I'm kinda done with this game. It's certainly a good multiplayer shooter but it has too many annoying little things that stop it from being excellent imo.

- Martyrdom (& Last Stand). Yeah you can run away and I rarely die from it, but it's a stupid feature that doesn't belong in this game. If it was absent from day one and was added later with a patch, everyone would call IW retarded.
- Machine guns used as sniper rifles.
- Random grenade spamming. Now I see why Valve removed them from TF2.
- A lot of times you get killed without even seeing your enemy. While that makes sense in a modern warfare shooter, it's just not really my cup of tea.
- Constantly getting dropped (kicked?) out of lobbies after one match. Why people like the matchmaking system is still a huge mystery to me. Good ol' server list is so much easier. You can't even pick the damn map ffs! Okay I guess I should've bought the PC version.

kevm3

This game is starting to piss me off. Must be lag, but I'm sitting here spraying someone down with an AK, and all of a sudden they turn around and just kill me. I have to empty half a clip with an AK + Stopping Power to kill someone. WHY DO I HAVE TO SHOOT these guys so much for them to die? It's not an aiming problem, because i'll be right behind a guy and I have to empty half a clip into him for him to go down.

Agent Icebeezy

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I guess if I were a 360 programmer at IW I should now realize that my bosses don't think that much of me.

Yeah, he basically called them the B team.

It'd be cool if you could choose just one thing (either park or weapon) to keep when you trade in all your progress for Prestige Mode. I'd keep that Golden Deagle.

g23

European pre-madonna
You haven't played COD IV MP until you have experienced Headquarters or S&D. Best game modes ever!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
CajoleJuice said:
It'd be cool if you could choose just one thing (either park or weapon) to keep when you trade in all your progress for Prestige Mode. I'd keep that Golden Deagle.

What is Prestige mode?

-edit- nm

Agent Icebeezy

Scotch said:
I just got to level 38 and I'm kinda done with this game. It's certainly a good multiplayer shooter but it has too many annoying little things that stop it from being excellent imo.

- Martyrdom (& Last Stand). Yeah you can run away and I rarely die from it, but it's a stupid feature that doesn't belong in this game. If it was absent from day one and was added later with a patch, everyone would call IW retarded.
- A lot of times you get killed without even seeing your enemy. While that makes sense in a modern warfare shooter, it's just not really my cup of tea.
- Constantly getting dropped (kicked?) out of lobbies after one match. Why people like the matchmaking system is still a huge mystery to me. Good ol' server list is so much easier. You can't even pick the damn map ffs! Okay I guess I should've bought the PC version.

I agree 100% with every thing you said

kevm3 said:
This game is starting to piss me off. Must be lag, but I'm sitting here spraying someone down with an AK, and all of a sudden they turn around and just kill me. I have to empty half a clip with an AK + Stopping Power to kill someone. WHY DO I HAVE TO SHOOT these guys so much for them to die? It's not an aiming problem, because i'll be right behind a guy and I have to empty half a clip into him for him to go down.

Out of the close to million people that have logged in XBL, I'm in the top 20,000 in accuracy, and I have the same issues. IN Halo 2, when they kept track of accuracy, I was over 50% damn near every game. Something is amiss

Scotch said:

Martydom really sums up the design of the MP perfectly. Cool or neat ideas first, and strong competitive, skillful, or tactical design a distand third.

Which is fine in the short run; it's indeed fun in moderation. It just hurt its long-term prospects, at least on PC, when up against the much more refined MP design of TF2, UT3, or ETQW.

It also doesn't help that they decided to make Ranks and Challenges client-side. Are we back in the 1990s? Folks have apparently been editting their own Profiles for a couple weeks now.

Ramirez

Ya know, I originally thought the game did a terrible job at separating good players from the bad, but the more I've played, I'd have to retract that statement. It's so easy to flat out dominate matches in this game, once you learn where people are going to go on every map, it's just a matter of can you line up enough people before they turn around on you. :lol

j-wood

KyanMehwulfe said:
Martydom really sums up the design of the MP perfectly. Cool or neat ideas first, and strong competitive, skillful, or tactical design a distand third.

Which is fine in the short run; it's indeed fun in moderation. It just hurt its long-term prospects, at least on PC, when up against the much more refined MP design of TF2, UT3, or ETQW.

It also doesn't help that they decided to make Ranks and Challenges client-side. Are we back in the 1990s? Folks have apparently been editting their own Profiles for a couple weeks now.

I bet this is the result of the release of the game on consoles. Remember the ranking problems of Resistance and Warhawk? Those are server side, and IW wouldn't want to spend the next 4 months figuring out how to get everything running properly.

Getting a little frustrated by Mile High Club on Veteran. There's times when I clearly mess up myself and am the cause of not making it in time, or dying. But when a guy kills me while he's falling down dead it's kind of frustrating. Or when a guy kills me with blind fire.

beerbelly

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Getting a little frustrated by Mile High Club on Veteran. There's times when I clearly mess up myself and am the cause of not making it in time, or dying. But when a guy kills me while he's falling down dead it's kind of frustrating. Or when a guy kills me with blind fire.

It's really not that hard. You've got to use flash bangs; one right after shooting the guy across the first hallway, and one right after the plane gets blown open. Don't bother reloading if you run out of ammo on the MP5...pistol + knife if you can.

beerbelly said:
It's really not that hard. You've got to use flash bangs; one right after shooting the guy across the first hallway, and one right after the plane gets blown open. Don't bother reloading if you run out of ammo on the MP5...pistol + knife if you can.

I get to the final hallway every time I just get caught reloading the P90 I pick up at a bad time or run out or time like two feet away.

Top Bottom