• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

j-wood said:
I bet this is the result of the release of the game on consoles. Remember the ranking problems of Resistance and Warhawk? Those are server side, and IW wouldn't want to spend the next 4 months figuring out how to get everything running properly.
Actually, what's especially weird is that I've heard that unlike the PC version, the console version actually is server-side. I have no way to check myself but I've heard people complaining of losing their console stats because the console [stat] servers are unstable and thus losing/deleting/whatever their stats.

I thought the same thing too about a week ago; some of the MP design was making me think of a console-focus, and I was wondering if maybe they ended up using client-side stats too. I thought it'd never happen with a big game in this age on PC though, so I didn't look into it as I rather not even know--ignorance is sometimes bliss. But I ended up hearing about it anyhow; sort of taints your mood and incentive to really focus on naturally get 55 when others are just editting it in.. I figure I was started to ease up anyhow though, so Rank 21 is good enough for now and I'll just slowly get a couple ranks each week--the .50 cal can wait.

Keio

For a Finer World
Last night I started to understand the hate directed towards Veteran.

Because last night, I sniped near the Ferris Wheel.

It's quite a sight to have six or seven grenade indicators light up on your screen, have dogs queuing up to bite you and seeing a horde of enemy snipers hopping down from planes, rushing from the pool building... and it makes for broken gameplay where you try to exploit every possible glitch to survive.

I made it, at the end, with my pulse racing close to 200.

It was intense, but it was in no way fun. Why was I doing it?

I hope that the rest of the campaign is more like the usual gameplay, where it's actually not bad on Veteran. Sneaking around as a sniper was amazing.

Das-J

Law of the West
I hope that the rest of the campaign is more like the usual gameplay, where it's actually not bad on Veteran.

Oh just wait... you have lots of pain ahead of you! Just keep to the side routes and run as fast as you can. As far as I can tell there is no "fun" in Veteran or Hardened.

What's worse is that instead of a nice enjoyable bonus at the end, Mile High Club ends up reminding you of how fucking frustrating your whole journey has been. Still, GoTY far and away as long as you're playing on Normal! :D

Das-J said:
Oh just wait... you have lots of pain ahead of you! Just keep to the side routes and run as fast as you can. As far as I can tell there is no "fun" in Veteran or Hardened.

What's worse is that instead of a nice enjoyable bonus at the end, Mile High Club ends up reminding you of how fucking frustrating your whole journey has been. Still, GoTY far and away as long as you're playing on Normal! :D

And still, completing veteran mode seems to be the most coveted thing to complete to get a 1000 points for in any game.

kevm3

Lag absolutely ruins some matches for me. I'm sitting here spraying a guy with an AK, empty half a clip... he runs around the corner and escapes. They shoot me and hit me with two bullets and I'm done for. I can tell when its lag when i'm head to head with a guy with a pistol and I have an AK with stopping power we're shooting each other head on and he wins.

Narag

kevm3 said:
Lag absolutely ruins some matches for me. I'm sitting here spraying a guy with an AK, empty half a clip... he runs around the corner and escapes. They shoot me and hit me with two bullets and I'm done for. I can tell when its lag when i'm head to head with a guy with a pistol and I have an AK with stopping power we're shooting each other head on and he wins.

This and knifing a guy twice and him knifing me right after aggravates the hell out of me.

kevm3

Lag + the enemy with last stand really pisses me off too. I down the guy and start spraying his corpse with an AK, but somehow he manages to finish me off and doesn't die until 10 seconds later. They also really need to fix how they score last stand. If you down the guy, you should get the full 10 points, and whoever finishes him off should get the assist of 2. It's agitating having to spend an extra 3 or 4 seconds to finish him off in his last stand position so you can get your full 10 points, all the while, their teammate finishes you off.

Playing a game where I was host was an amazing difference.

ToyMachine228 said:
I get to the final hallway every time I just get caught reloading the P90 I pick up at a bad time or run out or time like two feet away.
This is how I did it.

-Immediately switch to pistol. Knife bogey coming out of the bathroom.

-Shoot Bogey on the left (note: He'll drop the shot gun)

-As soon as you enter the boardroom flash band the next room.Stand at the door and shoot as many as quickly as you can with what remains of the pistol ammo.

-Switch pistol for shotgun (should be lying right at the doorway where you shot the first guy)

-Immediately after picking up the shot gun switch to your MP5 shoot remaining baddies.

-Enter next room on the right and duck behind the seats. While the plane gets ripped apart reload your MP5 and shot gun. (should've taken you 20-22 seconds at the most to get to this point)

-Decompression should've killed the guys on the left so use MP5 to shoot the 1 guy on the immediate right. Lie flat behind the wooden short wall on the left and flash bang the room.

-Get up and kill the bogey in the back of the room and the two coming down the stairs with the MP5.

-Move up to the next level going on the right hand side. (it's your right if your just heading up the stairs. It would look like the left if your actually looking out onto the second level.)

-Reload MP5 as you move up the stairs (<-- optional depending on ammo left & time) and flash bang the next room. Shoot bogeys with MP5. Enter next room staying to the left and shoot bogeys hiding behind the wall to your right.

-Switch to your shot gun and flash bang the group of Bogeys moving down the hallway. One guy might have been able to sneak to the left and get cover, ignore him. There's a pretty good chance your crew will take care of him.Move and shoot your way down the hallway with the shot gun. Be quick but make your shots count.

Hopefully by this point you have at least 5-7 seconds left and at least one shot gun round left for the two remaining bogeys around the final corner. Shoot them both or shoot the first and knife the second - knifing takes longer obviously.

Should be home free from here provided you have at least 3 seconds left. Just pistol the last terrorist holding the hostage and your done.

Using the knife in the very early sections instead of shooting is preferable but only if the kill is right in front of you or in your way anything else is a time waster.

Hope this helps.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
plague said:
I want my money back, it's only 600p.

6ld3gci.gif

kevm3

Did they release the patch where it corrects the names of your custom classes erasing? My clan name also erases... And if they did release it, how do I download it? PS3 version.

hteng

Banned
kevm3 said:
Lag + the enemy with last stand really pisses me off too. I down the guy and start spraying his corpse with an AK, but somehow he manages to finish me off and doesn't die until 10 seconds later. They also really need to fix how they score last stand. If you down the guy, you should get the full 10 points, and whoever finishes him off should get the assist of 2. It's agitating having to spend an extra 3 or 4 seconds to finish him off in his last stand position so you can get your full 10 points, all the while, their teammate finishes you off.

Playing a game where I was host was an amazing difference.

nothing much you can do with the lag atm, hopefully IW can make regional servers. However with that said, If im playin with people in my region (Asia), i have no lags whatsoever but that's kinda rare since 90% of the game's population is in NA. The best thing to do is create your own game (as host) then pray that players from the same region picks up your room. There are a couple of times when i host a game and there were too much NAs in the game, the servers would end the game becoz too many people had low pings.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
RumFore said:
Is it true that the woman in that died?

Really? I have absolutely no clue, it was just a random GIF that popped somewhere (I think here in the OT) and I saved it for something like this. But wow, did she really die?

Looking at it closely... it seems like a VERY, VERY bad fall. EDIT: Upon closer inspection, she must have broken her left leg.

RumFore

Banned
Relix said:
Really? I have absolutely no clue, it was just a random GIF that popped somewhere (I think here in the OT) and I saved it for something like this. But wow, did she really die?

Looking at it closely... it seems like a VERY, VERY bad fall. EDIT: Upon closer inspection, she must have broken her left leg.

She is probably still alive. I think some one posted she was dead to stop people from laughing when the video was first posted.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
RumFore said:
She is probably still alive. I think some one posted she was dead to stop people from laughing when the video was first posted.

WTF :lol :lol :lol . You scared me, I was even feeling guilty. Anyway, back to the topic!

Downhome

I'm pretty sure that Jimmy Kimmel had the woman from that .gif on his show in the last year or two.

I bought COD4 at WalMart today, price matched the Target price. I had a $41.xx GC, so I ended up only paying $9.xx for the game. :D

EDIT:

And yeah, that woman was on Jimmy Kimmel Live in January of this year.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
having played as far as the ac-130 mission, i'm not too thrilled with the campaign. the feeling of being pulled along on some amusement ride that proceeds regardless of your actions is even stronger than it was in prior cod games. the mysterious spawning behavior of both enemies and allies makes running from checkpoint to checkpoint -- rather than actually shooting people -- the game's central action. i can sit there and pick off a bunch of enemies, but this usually doesn't feel as if it has any decisive impact. maybe this is more expressive of real squad combat than other games, but i'm not finding it very satisfying. it's a good challenge on hardened, but i miss that videogame feeling of personal significance.

its portrayal of battlefield chaos is second-to-none, however. it's just exhilarating when you're in nightvision with laser pointers and tracer fire and explosions going off all over the place, trying to find a scrap of tenable cover. and at 60 fps besides. it can almost cover up the gameplay shortcomings.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Agree completely, drohne. The campaign would have been loads better with a more precise and logical system of relaying checkpoint information. It's rare that I find a game so good on normal and so shitty on the difficult settings.

Ramirez

I'm getting asked for passwords and shit when I open this thread, it would appear it's related to Emerson's avatar, might want to fix that!

EVERY TIME I ENTER THIS THREAD, I get some random pop up asking for a username and pass...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff297/mike75107/wtf.png

There's a picture. It doesn't happen to me ANYWHERE else on the internets, and I've been everywhere :D.

edit:

Ramirez said:
I'm getting asked for passwords and shit when I open this thread, it would appear it's related to Emerson's avatar, might want to fix that!

Ehh, I figured it was something like that. I now know Dan's christmas list, though! http://tdungeon.hlfusion.net/ :lol :lol :lol :lol

IronicallyTwisted said:
Complete with links to amazon. I mean, making lists and asking people to choose things from them is pretty lame, eh?

No way! I do agree with the choices, though :D.

Would look like mine if I didn't already have most of them.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
What is the best strategy for getting to the LZ at the end of the "Heat" mission on Veteran? I've been trying a mix of sniping and air strikes but there seems to be a limitless number of enemies that keep coming. Whoever called some parts of this game a "clown car" was right.

JCtheMC

After killing too much time on the multiplayer mode of this game (PC), i'd just like to add that this game has a lot of shitty, unbalanced maps. I can't wait for some decent customs.

JCtheMC said:
After killing too much time on the multiplayer mode of this game (PC), i'd just like to add that this game has a lot of shitty, unbalanced maps. I can't wait for some decent customs.

The problem is that they use all the maps for all the modes, and it doesn't always work. I mean, Domination on Shipment? Really? Maybe the PC version has more maps, but that's how it is in the console version.

I agree somewhat about the maps. Being on the console version and not having access to custom maps I look forward to 'map packs' and hope that they crank them out for us.
I honestly enjoyed the maps from previous CoD games more than what is here. Not a deal breaker at all, but there doesn't seem to be much "push" and changing battle lines. Both sides usually tend to get to each other too quickly and then it comes down to just a couple stragglers. This is speaking of no respawns. When you have respawns it's usually worse because you have them spawning right next to or behind you.
Overgrown and I think Downpour are my favorite maps but that could be because of their setting. I like the grassy look over the desert town most maps consist of.
I remember great maps like Dawnville and Carentan from the first CoD that provided a lot of different and interesting scenarios and strategies.

I've never really played a COD online, so I can't say how these maps compare, but I am enjoying them. There seems to be a lot of variety. I know the games aren't really comparable, but at least it has a better set of maps than H3. With so many maps, you're bound to have a few favorites. I'm a level 36 online and I'm pretty sure I haven't played every map.

That being said, I think Countdown should be removed from... any playlist. God I hate that map.

Oh, and Headquaters/Domination on Shipment games are amazing. I got 112 kills in one of those matches, using a shotty and martydom.

Dumb question, but: Is COD4 for the 360 region-free?

Play-Asia currently sells the US-version for 65$ (43€).

Edit: Arrg, the play-asia-site even says it that it works on all 360s.

Ramirez

Shipment shouldn't even be in the game, that map is like the size of one room in Vacant. :lol

Only real standout map to me is Crash, they all have tons of spots that can be abused really bad if you're good though. Top of 3rd story on Crash comes to mind...

Raiden

Banned
Ramirez said:
Shipment shouldn't even be in the game, that map is like the size of one room in Vacant. :lol

Only real standout map to me is Crash, they all have tons of spots that can be abused really bad if you're good though. Top of 3rd story on Crash comes to mind...

Shipment is awesome in HQ mode, a nice way to rank up and get some kills, everytime i play it i have like 80 kills and 20 deaths:lol

Banned
Well, I got this a couple of days ago and finished it on Hardened - it's absolutely fantastic. 60fps (for the most-part) is amazing, and makes a big difference in my opinion. I'm glad to see that some developers actually care about how it runs.

I'm going through on Veteran now, and I'm now thinking that I should have started on it, as it's really not much more difficult so far. (just got to the end of the Chernobyl section)

I did want to read through the entire topic before posting about the game, and I'm getting there (at page 51/89) but I'm hooked on Mass Effect now so it might be some time before I get a chance to read the rest. This may have already been asked/answered, but hopefully someone here can tell me. I know that the PS3 and 360 versions are supposed to look almost identical, and that the 360 one apparently runs slightly smoother, but the developers have said the PS3 one looks slightly better. (with a difference in the shadows being mentioned specifically)

The only thing that really hurts the look of this game, in my opinion, is the shadowing. I don't mind the lower resolution textures, as obviously things have to be cut back to hit 60fps, but how does the PS3 version compare in this regard; is it better or worse?

6tntcts.jpg

My only other complaint is the seemingly infinitely respawning enemies, it's a bit ridiculous in places, though it doesn't seem quite as bad as CoD2. (I stopped playing Veteran on CoD2 as it just wasn't fun and ruined the experience for me)

6stxfd1.jpg

:lol

itsgreen

Ah yeah the Mile High Club. Amazing achievement :)

Got it two weeks ago after like 200 tries. The key is running and stopping at the right places.

For me this worked: run past the first guy (sometimes he gets you, sometimes not), shoot the guy on the left while going through the left room and throw a flashbang in the next room over the seats. Duck for cover and kill the guy on the right. Flash bang goes off.

Grab shottie and duck for cover behind the first seat on the left and shoot some baddies, duck for cover untill your teammates come, then shoot one or two guys who are behind the walls on the right and left. Run through to the next room and find cover behind the first seat on the left. Dont do anything. Wait for your teammates to clear the place, the plane goes boom.

Wait untill the baddies from above come down and are almost all shotdown by the teammates and finish of whatever is left. Go up the stairs and throw a flashbang down the aisle on the right side now. You go to the left and kill one or two bad guys that are there.

Grab a few moments here to reload and throw another flashbang in the next room. Wait till it goes off and run past all the baddies, dont bother with them. Then two or three baddies will come and shoot them with your shottie.

And you are home clear with of few seconds left to spare. Shoot the badguy with the hostage and its done.

Banned
macksplack said:
Andrewfee

I haven't seen that bad shadowing on the ps3. That looks pretty bad actually.

Maybe someone can do a comparison shot.
When you get closer it smoothes out a bit, but still looks pretty bad. That's the worst I've seen in the game so far, and it really stood out to me.

I am almost certain I never saw shadows that bad in the PS3 version. [EDIT: I just fired up that level to compare and in that particular spot it's not great on the PS3 either! It's quite a bit sharper though, and jaggy. So I personally wouldn't say it's much better but it is quite different looking. I guess it would be preference. :\ ] And I am really impressed with the PS3 version in general, it has no slowdown that I can tell and looks wonderful. I prefer the look of the PS3 version of the 360 honestly. In comparison shots it looked like the 360 version had better up close textures but the PS3 version looked better with anything that wasn't up close and the gun model was better.

BTW, I am really looking forward to that patch! Last night I think there were four or five matches that suddenly ended because the host decided to quit. :\ Of course it's usually after I'm doing good too!

Banned
blindrocket said:
I am almost certain I never saw shadows that bad in the PS3 version. [EDIT: I just fired up that level to compare and in that particular spot it's not great on the PS3 either! It's quite a bit sharper though, and jaggy. So I personally wouldn't say it's much better but it is quite different looking. I guess it would be preference.
It's just a bit blurry as it's a hand-held photo, thanks for checking though. I thought maybe the shadows would be filtered better on the PS3 as they had mentioned they were doing them differently.

Kosma

Banned
Just started playing SP, on easy, the only way I can enjoy the scripted levels and crazy never ending swarms of foes.

@Andrewfee: Yeah I was looking at the jaggy shadows on my PS3 yesterday thinking: why am I just noticing this after 40 hours? They do look crap though :lol

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
@Andrewfee: Yeah I was looking at the jaggy shadows on my PS3 yesterday thinking: why am I just noticing this after 40 hours? They do look crap though :lol
It's funny, I only noticed it on my second play through actually, which shows just how awesome the single player is. (as you're too busy having fun that noticing things like that)

I've only played 5 minutes of the single player game. No time. Multiplayer's a blast though. After play Halo 3 for the last couple of months it tooks some time getting used to this style of gameplay again.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Atrus said:
I managed to get here with 6:30ish on the clock and got a checkpoint. The next part seems harder but is a lot easier in execution.

Toss a flash in the middle to stun the 2 shotgunners, run straight past them next to the boxes blocking your path and lie down in the right corner quickly turning around the way you came. Your teammates should kill the shotgunners but if not, take them out. Toss two grenades behind the boxes barring your path. Wait a second and toss a flashbang, quickly getting up to spray bullets across the entire hallway behind it. Pop and shoot the remaining baddies until there's nobody left behind the boxes.

Next go to the intersection you ran past and deal with the campers by going prone, and killing the guy on the right from the left and the left from the right. You can see them before they see you if you move slowly into view. Now facing the boxes I chose to go through the left path (though it seems to be mirrored either way you choose). Had 4:10 on the clock at this time.

Head left around the cylinder and blow away the enemy that runs out the corridor on the right and hug the left wall. Switch to grenade launcher and fire into the middle of the corridor he came from. Then edge slowly from the left side of the room until you can take out the guys in the room at the far end of the corridor. Once you think its clear fire another grenade from the launcher, if nothing is there run to that room. As soon as you do, another shotgunner will run in from the right. Easy kill if you know he's coming. The only way out now is through a passage back to the main corridor the shotgunner came through except again there are two campers on the far end. Kill them by slowly moving into view from right to left. Once they're dead, just run straight back into the central corridor and to the double-doors that slowly open.

Finished with about 3:30 on the clock and a checkpoint. With 3x Grenade launchers and 4x grenades this next section is a piece of cake. Use everything you can to clear the room, and move on to the next checkpoint. Not sure of the time but so long as you get the checkpoint, it'll only take about 20-30 more seconds at most to stop the clock.

Wow, you made much better time than me. I start from that checkpoint with ~6 mins, but I got to the slow door with 1:30 once it had opened. :/ Those side halls kick my ass.

Also, the checkpoints in this level seem to break on me. I got into the room after the slow door, but it didn't set a check point. Are they all based on how much time you have left here?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So, I had my best game ever today in Overgrown.

46 Kills, 3 assists, 9 death, upped my max streak to 17. Team Deathmatch mind you, not Domination or Ground Wars.

So, anyway.... if I am in Level 55, Prestige mode is up next. If I decide to do that, will I keep my weapons or go back to 0?

Relix said:
So, I had my best game ever today in Overgrown.

46 Kills, 3 assists, 9 death, upped my max streak to 17. Team Deathmatch mind you, not Domination or Ground Wars.

So, anyway.... if I am in Level 55, Prestige mode is up next. If I decide to do that, will I keep my weapons or go back to 0?

Back to square 1 i believe :D

Keio

For a Finer World
Completed the game on Veteran last night - the run to evac on Heat and the tunnels in No Fighting in the War Room were really close to making me quit, but I persisted.

Good storytelling via interactive elements (although I'd never watch a movie with a narrative as wonky as this), but the basic gameplay has some serious issues.

Mile High Club does - as someone already said - highlight all the problems of Harneded/Veteran Mode. After a couple of tries I decided I will not waste my time struggling for that achievement - I switched to the normal difficulty and breezed through.

Shawn128

Seriously man. Fuck Mile High Club on Veteran.

Got my 1000 points. That was a battle hard fought. Geesh, you couldn't pay me to beat that level on Veteran again.

Top Bottom