• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

I have a question, I saw this game on my buddy's house ps4 and the game looked great. He lent me his ps3 and the game there looks horrible in comparison, so jaggy. Now my TV is displaying in 1080p, is the game just optimized for 720 p? Maybe the uodacaling is just messing with it? I knew it would look worse, but it honestly it just looks absolutely horrible, worse than black ops 2 on my wii u, it actually looked beautiful there. What's going on?

The ps3 is a last gen console.

Cavalier

Banned
Pros:

- Good graphics in SP, but not as great as folks are making them out to be
- Excellent SP campaign; not MW or MW2 quality but probably the next best
- MP map design is small and tight, a nice departure from the huge maps in Ghosts

Cons:

- P2P in MP is a disaster (been perfect here)
- Scorestreaks are boring and have a been severely nerfed in what I can only imagine was an attempt to allow players to escape them (I LOVE this. It's been nothing but stupid spamming scorestreaks in other COD's. FUCKING glad they did this)
- Headshots are no longer 1 shot kills unless they're a point blank shotgun or sniper; you can now be shot in the head multiple times (signified by a double hitmarker) and survive (WTF!?) (Good)
- Spawns in MP are a mess and are actually worse than Ghosts (A lot better than Ghosts in my experience)
- Revenge spawning is back
- Sniping is incredibly random and inconsistent - body shots rarely kill in a single shot (Good. No more people running around taking cheap shots with sniper rifle.)
- MP maps have far too much verticality and dozens of entrances for every room (BO2 was bad, this is to the extreme) (This is a MUST. Verticality and multiple entrances make for a very fun use of exo-skeleton. So much fun)
- Stealth play is dead, there's an attachment which makes them show up on radar (Good.)
- Using exo shows up on radar and to prevent it you must use a perk, resulting in players opting to just camp rather than be punished for using exo (Use a perk. Problem solved.)

You can't use the same tactics you used in other old COD's and expect to have fun. You just can't. Thank GOD they changed up the formula for COD. :)

found from reddit:

KuGsj.gif

these renting fuckers are getting way too cheap nowadays.

How are they getting away with this? Also, how is Redbox handling this situation?

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
God, the lag on PS3 damn near ruined the experience last night. I mean, multiple times a game when the entire group goes down to one bar connectivity? Come on.

Cc23830

I've seen game play of ps3 and it looks a lot better than what I am seeing here. Everything looks so dark, muddy and jaggy, honestly almost like a wii, something must be wrong

You knew this would eventually happen, it's just a lot earlier than the transition from ps2 to ps3

Mastadon

Banned
Is there a way to toggle how ADS works on the PC? It really bugs me that I have to click rmb to get out of it rather than just letting go.

I've seen a lot of people say the spawns are terrible in Advanced Warfare and yesterday I experienced it. I was playing on the map, Riot, and while running through the prison I literally saw people spawn right in front of me. I was like whoa, wtf? Never saw this happen in a call of duty unless a team was trying to
Spawn trap. This happened more than once and it had me thinking, if this happens to other players then it must have happened to me. No wonder I keep getting shot in the back.
Not played much yet, so not even experienced all the maps but have had two games on Riot and yeah they're really bad on that map.

I felt like I was constantly switching ends of the map when spawning, and I guess everyone else was too and the net result was you end up spawning with the enemy.

RS4-

Is there a way to toggle how ADS works on the PC? It really bugs me that I have to click rmb to get out of it rather than just letting go.

Pretty sure that's in the options just like previous games.

Aim, crouch, and maybe a sprint toggle.

OneUh8

Picked this up last night for PS4. Really liking the game. Took me a few games to gain my bearings and how to play, but once you know the maps a little and get a handle on the movement it really is fun. Best COD in a long while imo. Can't wait to play more.

Enosh

How would I go about that?? Someone here at work told me the same thing, to mess with the settings
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/videooutput.html

should be this
did you have to update the ps3 before you used it? I know I did an update this year after not using it for a few months and it defaulted the settings back to 480 so I was also confused for a while why everything looks so shit ^^

kinda pissed my PC won't be able to run AW since it seems like it's a great game and not sure I want to buy it on the ps3...

jorgejjvr

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/videooutput.html

should be this
did you have to update the ps3 before you used it? I know I did an update this year after not using it for a few months and it defaulted the settings back to 480 so I was also confused for a while why everything looks so shit ^^

kinda pissed my PC won't be able to run AW since it seems like it's a great game and not sure I want to buy it on the ps3...
Yes it did do an update, it had not been used for months, this could be it thanks so much!

SMZC

I really can't get into this game at all. I've put in a good amount of hours now, but it just doesn't get any less frustrating, it's the worst AAA online experience I've had in my life. I'd much rather be playing Battlefield 4 TDM or even Ghosts. Between the excessively chaotic nature of the gameplay, the game-breaking connection problems and the bad balance I just can't play a single match without frustration kicking in. Even when I end up winning and getting a good K/D, it's still annoying and just not fun.

Now that I think about it, it's pretty naive of me/us to expect dedicated servers for this game...well except the fact that they said it would include them (any updates on this? Just a straight up lie?). With a yearly COD release, they would have to keep the servers up for previous games which would cost them a shitload more money, especially when the game is good like this one that people want to keep playing. Maybe they could have dedicated servers for a year and then switch to p2p once the next game comes out?

BokehKing

Banned
Honestly I suck at this game, I just can't stop playing it though.

Definitely the first COD where I have yet to come in first place for the lobby, not even my team.

Anyway when my whole team is going

4-30
And the other team is going 45-12
It's safe to assume only one team is effected by lag comp
Which I guess why some people don't care about it getting fixed because it does not effect them.

When it does get fixed though, I hope they offer a 'reset stats' option

Who's is their 402
Who is their Deej
Who could we pressure on Twitter about dedicated servers

zonezeus

My MP experience so far can be summed up with this simple flowchart: kill one guy --> reload --> die. Except one-on-one fights, which I lose 95% of the time either due to incompetence or lag compensation, it's always the same - pump half a mag into someone, fall back to reload, get shot. It seems like every nook and cranny on every single map is always populated by enemies and even ground you just passed and considered safe a second ago seems to sprout assholes as soon as you look the other way.

DSmalls84

When I launch the game on Xbox One it keeps freezing at the black launch screen that just has "Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare" on it. Any ideas? I have been playing it for a few days and this just started. Tried to reboot the system and re-insert the disc.

RS4-

Huh, had a look last night and couldn't see anything. Will check again later, thanks.

At least I hope it's there, granted, the last time I played COD on PC was BO2.

Personally, I like the ADS toggle for PC. At least I think I did.

How do you throw back grenades? I'll assume that the red explosive icon means you can throw it back? Or is that just a warning.

indie24

Hi, First of all I love the campaign of Call of Duty :AW and this is the first time I've really played a campaign in this type of game. I originally played COD MW2 on the 360 and remember enjoying the games a while back and thought I would go for this version. I got my Xbox One on launch and got BF4 and loved it. Still play MP only enjoy it with friends. My friend persuaded me to get this and I feel a little disappointed in the MP aspect. It just doesn't excite me like playing BF4 as the sounds, explosions, bullet fire is amazing but in COD : AW it feels empty and the surroundings / maps are dull. I have played for an hour only on Team Deathmatch and capture the flag type of game so far and was wondering if there is anyone else in the same boat as me in respects to the experience and does it get better?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Win/loss ratio is all that matters. Your kdr is worthless if all you do is lose. Never have understood why people value kdr so much.

Its not like football where sacks, tackles, tds, etc all come into account.

Id rather see a players assist rate than their kdr.

Now that I think about it, it's pretty naive of me/us to expect dedicated servers for this game...well except the fact that they said it would include them (any updates on this? Just a straight up lie?). With a yearly COD release, they would have to keep the servers up for previous games which would cost them a shitload more money, especially when the game is good like this one that people want to keep playing. Maybe they could have dedicated servers for a year and then switch to p2p once the next game comes out?
Well yes. Especially as Ghosts had them. Or hybrids or listen servers - regardless, whatever they were they worked really well.

So to go back a step from that is a stupid move.

Alienous

I love how the token female character in the campaign doesn't get to wear a helmet ever because she has a pretty face.

Progress!

RS4-

Win/loss ratio is all that matters. Your kdr is worthless if all you do is lose. Never have understood why people value kdr so much.

Stats depend on context as well. Like a 4:1 KDR is great for TDM, but if you only play TDM and your W/L is like 30%, then you're either camping and getting minor scores like 8/2 or...you just have terrible luck.

On the other hand, a 1:1 KDR in hardpoint and 55% WR is far better. etc etc.

leng jai

How does W/L ratio matter when you're playing with randoms though? It's all contextual. For example I played an absurd amount of matches in KZ4 TDM where my KD was 3+ but I lost due to my team being terrible.

Robcat

Banned
Is everyone having connection problems? I haven't had any on 360 or Xbox one. I was surprised how smooth it's been online.

Daffy Duck

Is everyone having connection problems? I haven't had any on 360 or Xbox one. I was surprised how smooth it's been online.

On the PS4 I haven't had bad connections per se, however the 4 bars seemingly always fluctuate between 4 to 1 red bar, but it has effect on my experience, I'm not sure if they are just broken or what, but I've not seen anyone lagging out or warping about the map.

Upinsmoke

I really can't get into this game at all. I've put in a good amount of hours now, but it just doesn't get any less frustrating, it's the worst AAA online experience I've had in my life. I'd much rather be playing Battlefield 4 TDM or even Ghosts. Between the excessively chaotic nature of the gameplay, the game-breaking connection problems and the bad balance I just can't play a single match without frustration kicking in. Even when I end up winning and getting a good K/D, it's still annoying and just not fun.

Feel exactly like this too. I'm actually angry.

harrytang

comments like these are really keeping me on the fence for this game. i'd like to check it out after reading the positive comments, but i'll only play for mp mp mode and i remember past frustrations with lag compensation net-code. i hope people can report improvements by xmas.

May i ask you guys how this compares to Black Ops / MW1 please?

Both were my all-time favourites, and I have kind lost faith and interest in the COD series since that abomination last year. Doesn't help the fact that I have heavily invested my time in the Battlefield series since Bad Company as well.

I really want to like COD again, i really do.

EL CUCO

So I've put about 10hrs into the MP and halfway through the campaign on Vet. I have to give Sledgehammer a big kudos on AW. It has revitalized COD for me, making it feel fresh. I also like how the game feels balanced, something I dont think I've ever said about any COD.

I'm impressed. I hope it does well.

Running into a decent amount of hackers on ground war PC already. Really wish they had player run servers so this kind of thing could be controlled.

Only option is to leave the lobby and hope you don't get put back in it. Best part is that the guys have the balls to advertise the cheats while in game.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
How does W/L ratio matter when you're playing with randoms though? It's all contextual. For example I played an absurd amount of matches in KZ4 TDM where my KD was 3+ but I lost due to my team being terrible.

I dunno, im just a black abd white type, you win or lose, period. Winning is everything, all the other stuff is meaningless, except maybe if you have a really high headshot stat, that would equate to having great aim.

I wish games put more emphasis on winning.

My MP experience so far can be summed up with this simple flowchart: kill one guy --> reload --> die. Except one-on-one fights, which I lose 95% of the time either due to incompetence or lag compensation, it's always the same - pump half a mag into someone, fall back to reload, get shot. It seems like every nook and cranny on every single map is always populated by enemies and even ground you just passed and considered safe a second ago seems to sprout assholes as soon as you look the other way.
Happens to me all the time, it's really annoying. I shoot first and die first. I get about 4-5 shots(some times even more)off first but the other guy just melts me even if we are using the same gun. It's crazy, on the killcam it looks nothing like that. It disgusts me, makes me want to stop playing.

leng jai

I dunno, im just a black abd white type, you win or lose, period. Winning is everything, all the other stuff is meaningless, except maybe if you have a really high headshot stat, that would equate to having great aim.

I wish games put more emphasis on winning.

How does having a high headshot stat equate to good aim but high K/D not indicative of being good at killing people? Your logic is inconsistent. I fail to see how K/D can be dismissed in TDM.

E92 M3

I popped in MW2 yesterday and all I know is that I miss the fuck out that game. The maps were great, gunplay was fun, kill streaks were crazy, and nukes were exhilarating. I felt so proud to get that nuke emblem (played solo and never boosted). MW2 ranks up there with Halo 2 in terms of how much fun I had on multiplayer.

Called it as soon as I saw the first MP footage.

PS4 NeoGAF Clan: Please try to leave a post here with your PSN name and the word clan after applying.

PROGRAM_IX

clan

Still enjoying the game a lot; multiple hours each night this week. Finally reached Viper status ending a game with 32 kills
17 deaths
which was a big moment. :D The SAC3 forced akimbo is a really fun way to play, especially with Gung-Ho.

SMZC

Feel exactly like this too. I'm actually angry.

Same here, no other game makes me rage as much as this one.

comments like these are really keeping me on the fence for this game. i'd like to check it out after reading the positive comments, but i'll only play for mp mp mode and i remember past frustrations with lag compensation net-code. i hope people can report improvements by xmas.

I like to apply a rule of thumb here; if you enjoyed BO and BO2, you'll probably enjoy this too. If you didn't, you probably won't like AW either. From what I've seen, most Treyarch fans seem to be liking AW quite a bit, and really, it's no coincidence, because Sledgehammer has heavily based their work on Treyarch's games. The engine is very obviously a variation of Treyarch's engine (as opposed to the engine used by Infinity Ward, which is clearly different), the design decisions are mostly inspired by Treyarch (pick 10/13, moving perks to the attachments category, the philosophy in map design, etc). Even the netcode is very obviously the very same one that Treyarch used in BO2, so if you had connection problems with that game, you most definitely will have them in AW too.

I'm personally very annoyed at this, because BO2 made me swear not to buy another Treyarch game ever again due to how unplayable the game became because of the connection problems (plus, I've never been a huge fan of how they design the multiplayer). Now, with the hopes of seeing some new people's take on COD, I've effectively bought another Treyarch game. Can't say I'm too happy about that.

Top Bottom