• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

Gorillaz

MW (dat addiction) > MW2 (dat innovation) > WaW (dat sameness) > AW (dat difference) > BLOPS (dat shitness) > didn't play any of the other modern ones because BLOPS turned me off.

COD4 deserves "dat innovation" since it put about 90 percent of what is CoD today, class selection,prestige, killstreak, etc on the map.

I will say this is probably one of the first real "dumb fun" CoD's I've played since MW2. I'm redboxing it but I actually feel tempted this time to pull the trigger.

Why won't these shooters just let me map my controls as I see fit?

I'd love to have a control scheme with melee as R1 and circle for my nades, but nope, all I have to work with are presets.

The Beard

So I seem to remember ground pound being a thing but I haven't been able to do it. Is it something you need to unlock? Some people online said that it happens when you melee while in the air, but it seems regular to me. Do I have to have an opponent in my crosshairs for it to work?

You press crouch while in the air to do the exo-slam. I got my first kill using this today, and I'm like 15hours deep. It felt damn good.

wrongway

So apparently the matchmaking system can go full retard. Just had a round that was stuck as a 3 vs 6, the latter of which included a premade group. Woo :x

Striek

COD4 deserves "dat innovation" since it put about 90 percent of what is CoD today, class selection,prestige, killstreak, etc on the map.

I will say this is probably one of the first real "dumb fun" CoD's I've played since MW2. I'm redboxing it but I actually feel tempted this time to pull the trigger.

Well I mean innovated on the CoD formula MW created. MW2 doesn't get the dues it should for going balls out on new shit.

Upinsmoke

Rate the CODs, everyone

Me:

MW2 > MW > BLOPS 2 > AW> BLOPS > MW3 > GHOSTS

The ones I didn't list I didn't play at all, so I can't give an opinion on it.

But, anyways, TRY OUT THE SAC3, its like playing with BLOPS 2 Akimbo Automatic machine pisiols(forgot what they were called lol) before they were nerf(but not as broken and more fun!)

MW, W@W, MW3, BO, BO2, MW2, AW, Ghosts

But in the grand scheme of things IW killed everything there was good about Call Of Duty with MW2, Akimbo shotguns, thermal scopes, camp for kill streaks, deathstreaks, respawn exploits, COD has never been the most difficult game but it was a big Fuck you to people who enjoyed the gun on gun play.

Apt101

Rate CoD's? I enjoyed this one the most. It is a seriously good campaign. They knocked it clear out of the park. Return to form from Modern Warfare 1 and 2.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Been playing since day zero and I just can't bring myself to enjoy the game, it's awful. The SP is solid, fun and one of the best in the series. The MP on the other hand is just infuriating due to awful netcode and key features and functions of the series being nerfed beyond repair.

Pros:

- Good graphics in SP, but not as great as folks are making them out to be
- Excellent SP campaign; not MW or MW2 quality but probably the next best
- MP map design is small and tight, a nice departure from the huge maps in Ghosts

Cons:

- P2P in MP is a disaster
- Scorestreaks are boring and have a been severely nerfed in what I can only imagine was an attempt to allow players to escape them
- Headshots are no longer 1 shot kills unless they're a point blank shotgun or sniper; you can now be shot in the head multiple times (signified by a double hitmarker) and survive (WTF!?)
- Spawns in MP are a mess and are actually worse than Ghosts
- Revenge spawning is back
- Sniping is incredibly random and inconsistent - body shots rarely kill in a single shot
- MP maps have far too much verticality and dozens of entrances for every room (BO2 was bad, this is to the extreme)
- Stealth play is dead, there's an attachment which makes them show up on radar
- Using exo shows up on radar and to prevent it you must use a perk, resulting in players opting to just camp rather than be punished for using exo

Glad others are enjoying it and I hope your experience stays positive, but this just isn't for me. The series I have come to love and call my favorite, died with Infinity Ward when Zampella and West were terminated from the studio. I've been playing CoD since the game originally launched on PC, but was hooked like many others when CoD4 dropped. Since MW3, the entire series has just been on a downward slump and shows no signs of returning to the glory days.

I'm probably far worse than your average CoD fan, and I've been playing the game and collecting CoD stuff for what feels like ages. I'm finally at the point where I can't fool myself or try to fall into Stockholm syndrome - AW is the worst game in the series to date, and just might be the title that pushes me away from the series entirely.

I try to remain vigilant and continue to hold out hope for a MW & MW2 HD collection, but it just seems impossible given the yearly rotation; releasing an HD remake would cannibalize the population. Oh well, one can dream, right?
The score streaks were getting obnoxious. That's a pro for me.

SlickVic

Haven't played a CoD campaign since MW2, but really curious to give this one a shot after hearing some good things about it. Also helps these can be beaten typically in a 1 day rental off Redbox. Maybe pick up the PC version down the road for some MP.

Just finished the campaign. I really enjoyed it. I personally think this was the best campaign since Black Ops. The futuristic gadgets made the same old formula feel fresh

leng jai

Man it's fucking absurd how it's almost impossible to have a safe spot in a map for more than 5 seconds. All the deaths feel like they're just from random guys appearing out of nowhere every 2 seconds.

panda-zebra

Why won't these shooters just let me map my controls as I see fit?

I'd love to have a control scheme with melee as R1 and circle for my nades, but nope, all I have to work with are presets.

I know it's not an ideal soultion due to the cost, but I think a Titan One dongle might be worth a look as it allows you to stealthily remap button presses, if there are a number of games where you're stuck like this maybe it becomes worthwhile.

Krilekk

Banned
Campaign is great so far (three missions in) but I'm really hating the "you're leaving the mission area"prompts whenever you walk away ten meters from where the game wants you to be. Kills any exploration.

HarryKS

Fuck yhe multi. It started well. Now can't see shit most of the time. Every person looks the same. Same colours on both teams. Genius design.

It can only work for certain art styles and if you see an indication on the radar constantly. Destiny does that better.

Fuck yhe multi. It started well. Now can't see shit most of the time. Every person looks the same. Same colours on both teams. Genius design.

It can only work for certain art styles and if you see an indication on the radar constantly. Destiny does that better.

I had the same problem playing the SP. God knows how many bullets went to Carmark and Gideon.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
So apparently the matchmaking system can go full retard. Just had a round that was stuck as a 3 vs 6, the latter of which included a premade group. Woo :x

Yep. Experienced that too. Worse one was having a match against a group of high levels. 4v6, and the ping for everyone at one bar save for 1-3 people.

Hugstable

Banned
I had the same problem playing the SP. God knows how many bullets went to Carmark and Gideon.

lol they do light them up every once in awhile with a blue outline, but it still wasn't quick enough. Think I had about 20 different fails just from friendly fire! All I'm missing now that I got Veteran done is the Exo Survival trophies, but I think I'm gonna play the multiplayer more first before I ever jump into that.

Managed to play the game yesterday after being really busy at work the last few days.

I've enjoyed it so much brings a while new level to the franchise but have a problem:

I played the local multiplayer against bots to familiarise myself with the maps and weapons.
I played team deathmatch and I played the level which is the Atlas mountain retreat (on phone and can't remember the map) against a team of 3 novice bots and I played Detroit as a 5 v 5.

Every time I seemed to fire with a sniper type rifle the screen froze for a few seconds then would leave off right where it has frozen. Of course you would then be caught if guard.

I decided to play the level based around the power plant on free for all with 11 novice bots, and it was very smooth.

I never has a chance to play again But I was wondering does anyone have the same problem on the Xbox one or should I be reinstalling it (it is installed on an external hard drive)?

Duxxy3

Managed to play the game yesterday after being really busy at work the last few days.

I've enjoyed it so much brings a while new level to the franchise but have a problem:

I played the local multiplayer against bots to familiarise myself with the maps and weapons.
I played team deathmatch and I played the level which is the Atlas mountain retreat (on phone and can't remember the map) against a team of 3 novice bots and I played Detroit as a 5 v 5.

Every time I seemed to fire with a sniper type rifle the screen froze for a few seconds then would leave off right where it has frozen. Of course you would then be caught if guard.

I decided to play the level based around the power plant on free for all with 11 novice bots, and it was very smooth.

I never has a chance to play again But I was wondering does anyone have the same problem on the Xbox one or should I be reinstalling it (it is installed on an external hard drive)?

Try a hard reset?

jediyoshi

I didnt start off at #1 and gradually got tired of them more and more as each game came out. Last time it was gonna be "dedicated servers will fix a lot of this!"

Uhh I guess not!

But you're still not actually clarifying your position on any of them for reference. At best, at some point there was one you liked despite existing problems that have been pertinent for every single COD. At worst, there is now some mutually exclusive sticking point you're not mentioning.

Uplink is honestly the most amazing game mode. Wow. Not many people camp and you get tons of kills. Overtime is very frantic. Also, the Exo really glows during this mode.

Highly recommend this to all.

Randam

Rating the CODs?

#1 W@W
Played the most. Almost 30 days. Legit 10 prestige. Love the setting. Last game where you really felt like your fighting in a war. Sound design on the maps was awesome.

#2 mw2 played almost 15 days then sold it before the first mappack was even released because of all the bull shit. Made me skipp all iw games after that.
But the first few days were pretty fun and with out commando, oma and death streaks, it would be the best one by far.

#3 cod 4 the classic one.

#4 bo1 not as good as the rest, but still pretty good. Maps where pretty boring.
Nothing felt like a setting where a battle would take place.
And some maps felt like a group of friends rented a cool location for some war games.
Got even worse on bo2 with stuff like the club and the skate park.

And then came the ham-camos and diamond and so on :/

Gator86

Man it's fucking absurd how it's almost to have a safe spot in a map for more than 5 seconds. All the deaths feel like they're just from random guys appearing out of nowhere every 2 seconds.

That's basically how I felt today playing it for the first hour. Once I got to know one or two of the maps it felt a little more sane, not too much though.

Also, this is the first FPS I can recall playing where I have trouble seeing the other players in MP. If someone is crouched near a bush I overlook them all the time.

Duxxy3

That's basically how I felt today playing it for the first hour. Once I got to know one or two of the maps it felt a little more sane, not too much though.

Also, this is the first FPS I can recall playing where I have trouble seeing the other players in MP. If someone is crouched near a bush I overlook them all the time.

Did you avoid Ghosts?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Rate the CODs, everyone

Me:

But, anyways, TRY OUT THE SAC3, its like playing with BLOPS 2 Akimbo Automatic machine pisiols(forgot what they were called lol) before they were nerf(but not as broken and more fun!)

I'd probably go

COD2>COD4>BLOPS>AW>BLOPS2>W@W>COD1>>>>>>>>dogshit>>>>>>>>COD3>MW2>GHOSTS>MW3

Still really liking AW, we reaaaallly need dedi servers but enjoying myself regardless.

minx

Finished the campaign and found it surprisingly enjoyable despite the story being so predictable...

Though I must admit, I am not feeling the multiplayer at all. I feel the Exo movement amplifies all of the existing problems I had with CoD's multiplayer component. Spawning seems completely erratic / random, as I have been spawned directly in enemy sight lines numerous times now. Now that everyone can just bunny-hop all over the map, there really is no safe place to spawn, nor is there really a direction to work towards; anyone can come from anywhere at any time at any place. And while low TTK is nothing new in CoD, now that 'anyone can come from anywhere' I often just feel that I just do not get a chance to react at all, and the low TTK means that the tiniest amount of lag can completely skew the outcome of any firefight in your opponent's favor. Also, pretty much any type of grenade is rendered useless due to the added Exo movement; there is no real use for them as people can just double jump away without much issue.

The original Black Ops remains my favorite CoD multiplayer and I just don't see myself playing Advanced Warfare Multiplayer for much longer...

Yup. Nailed it.

Rate the CODs, everyone

Me:

MW > MW2 > WaW > AW > BLOPS2 > MW3

If they did a remastered version of MW I would snap it up straight away

Duxxy3

I burned out on COD roughly after the first week MW3 was out so I essentially skipped that along with Blops2 and Ghosts. I've heard the horror stories about Ghosts though.

Ghosts is FAR worse for picking out targets. It was very easy to pick out targets in BO2. MW3 wasn't too bad. AW is somewhere in between MW3 and BO2 for picking out targets. Nowhere near what we had in Ghosts though.

Kevin Spacey not being the multiplayer announcer is shitty.

coughdlcannouncercough

This is the first CoD I bought since the original Modern Warfare (cod4) and I enjoy it. Yes, the added mobility makes the multiplayer very erratic, but if you just roll with it and keep pace, I do feel it's a rewarding experience.

Lag spikes are lethal though.

CozMick

Banned
Been playing since day zero and I just can't bring myself to enjoy the game, it's awful. The SP is solid, fun and one of the best in the series. The MP on the other hand is just infuriating due to awful netcode and key features and functions of the series being nerfed beyond repair.

Pros:

- Good graphics in SP, but not as great as folks are making them out to be
- Excellent SP campaign; not MW or MW2 quality but probably the next best
- MP map design is small and tight, a nice departure from the huge maps in Ghosts

Cons:

- P2P in MP is a disaster
- Scorestreaks are boring and have a been severely nerfed in what I can only imagine was an attempt to allow players to escape them
- Headshots are no longer 1 shot kills unless they're a point blank shotgun or sniper; you can now be shot in the head multiple times (signified by a double hitmarker) and survive (WTF!?)
- Spawns in MP are a mess and are actually worse than Ghosts
- Revenge spawning is back
- Sniping is incredibly random and inconsistent - body shots rarely kill in a single shot
- MP maps have far too much verticality and dozens of entrances for every room (BO2 was bad, this is to the extreme)
- Stealth play is dead, there's an attachment which makes them show up on radar
- Using exo shows up on radar and to prevent it you must use a perk, resulting in players opting to just camp rather than be punished for using exo

Glad others are enjoying it and I hope your experience stays positive, but this just isn't for me. The series I have come to love and call my favorite, died with Infinity Ward when Zampella and West were terminated from the studio. I've been playing CoD since the game originally launched on PC, but was hooked like many others when CoD4 dropped. Since MW3, the entire series has just been on a downward slump and shows no signs of returning to the glory days.

I'm probably far worse than your average CoD fan, and I've been playing the game and collecting CoD stuff for what feels like ages. I'm finally at the point where I can't fool myself or try to fall into Stockholm syndrome - AW is the worst game in the series to date, and just might be the title that pushes me away from the series entirely.

I try to remain vigilant and continue to hold out hope for a MW & MW2 HD collection, but it just seems impossible given the yearly rotation; releasing an HD remake would cannibalize the population. Oh well, one can dream, right?

dhMeAzK.gif

I agree with every last word.

Advanced BALfare.

Top Bottom