• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

VanWinkle

I love listening to Jeff on the podcasts and quick looks and stuff. He's great. But I wouldn't even BEGIN to listen to his or Giantbomb's opinions on Vita games. From the first time I saw him using it at that live launch video they did, everyone on Giantbomb seemed COMPLETELY disinterested in the handheld, and I haven't seen any actual interest from them since then.

Seriously, it's absurd. Anyone who is familiar with the GB guys probably knows that they aren't huge fans of handhelds but purposefully reviewing games negatively in order to help a system fail? Come on...

i was laughing when so many people were insisting that Liberation is better than III in another thread, but this? come on, guys. if we're gonna talk conspiracies, look no further...

but, hey, as long as we're citing user reviews, i guess this is better than Black Ops 2. right? ...right?

Yopis

Has giant bomb ever given a vita game a good score? Seems like they dont care much for the vita at all honestly. Maybe Im wrong but from the comments section of the cod review the site seems to not like vita much.

i was laughing when so many people were insisting that Liberation is better than III in another thread, but this? come on, guys. if we're gonna talk conspiracies, look no further...

but, hey, as long as we're citing user reviews, i guess this is better than Black Ops 2. right? ...right?

I don't think anyone has said this is better than BOPS2.

Has giant bomb ever given a vita game a good score? Seems like they dont care much for the vita at all honestly. Maybe Im wrong but from the comments section of the cod review the site seems to not like vita much.

the only Vita-exclusive games they've given a good score are Lumines and Super Stardust. Sound Shapes, Rayman Origins, and Mortal Kombat on the Vita were all given five stars. i think everything else has been given 3

btkadams

I remember discussing this in previous threads here on GAF and talking about how cool it would be if it was the same version of the game and all of your loadouts and stats carried over on the different versions. It's crazy how unrealistic that idea seems now, haha.

it's not unrealistic at all. need for speed most wanted carries your speed points between platforms. wipeout hd players can play against wipeout 2048 players. playstation all-stars battle royale players can play against each other on both platforms. i'm not sure how much more integrated the vita and ps3 versions of all-stars will be, but it could be awesome.

gaf's hype for this game when it was originally announced was not unfounded.

it's not unrealistic at all. need for speed most wanted carries your speed points between platforms. wipeout hd players can play against wipeout 2048 players. playstation all-stars battle royale players can play against each other on both platforms. i'm not sure how much more integrated the vita and ps3 versions of all-stars will be, but it could be awesome.

It's not unrealistic until you factor Activision into the equation, unfortunately. :(

Assassins Creed III: Liberation - 3/5
Sound Shapes - 5/5
Mortal Kombat - 5/5
Gravity Rush - 3/5
Rayman - 5/5
Katamari - 3/5
Escape Plan - 3/5
Lumines - 4/5
Wipeout - 3/5
Uncharted - 3/5
Super Star Dust - 4/5

All good scores, especially going by how giant bomb scores games.

it kind of was, because everyone forgot that handheld-exclusive spin-offs have been around for YEARS. and they've tended to be shit.

btkadams

it kind of was, because everyone forgot that handheld-exclusive spin-offs have been around for YEARS. and they've tended to be shit.

it was not announced as a spinoff. it was announced as a call of duty game. modern warfare 3 hadn't even been announced yet, so it was expected to be a port of mw3 or blops 2.

Massa

i was laughing when so many people were insisting that Liberation is better than III in another thread, but this? come on, guys.

Why were you laughing? Plenty of people have said they think AC3 is shit, regardless of their opinion of Liberation.

Yopis

Thanks for replies guys.....well totally shocked is it really that bad. Going to see nephew in a few days so I was gonna grab this. Would have grabbed it at launch but wanted to make sure patch issues were sorted. Guess im at the crossroads.

Maybe its ragnarok time. Forty bucks and im sold so might grab it anyway. Will sleep on it.

btkadams

oh, you're going THAT far back. nevermind.

was it really that far back? i seem to remember the game's title being announced in june or july of this year. i'm not sure though! we had received no details for it aside from the name when the blops declassified title was announced, which confirmed it wasn't a port of the mainline game. i thought the hype began to plummet during the summer too.

edited for better clarification

Why were you laughing? Plenty of people have said they think AC3 is shit, regardless of their opinion of Liberation.

because it absolutely reeks of the need to justify their purchases

btkadams said:
was it really that far back? i seem to remember the game's title being announced in june or july of this year. i'm not sure though! we had received no details for it aside from the name when the blops declassified title was announced, which confirmed it wasn't a port of the mainline game. i thought the hype began to plummet during the summer too.

well, i thought you were referring to when the game was announced as Black Ops Declassified, not when they said "we're making Call of Duty for the Vita"

A.R.K

The curse of Vita is the game price...if this game was on iOS for even $9.99 it would have gotten much better reviews.

Sony really needs to bring down the prices to $25-35. The $50 tag just doesn't justify the purchase specially for the lack of content. I bet it would have gotten better reviews if it was say $25.

Also for some reason, Vita is judged with much higher expectations than iOS/android and its reflected in some of the reviews I have seen lately for the same games on both.

test_account

XP-39C²
Or people just really can't face the fact that they bought a turd which seems way more likely.
Or people simply have a different opinion :)

Reviews are and always will be personal opinions. There is one thing to write about facts and objective things in a review, but what matters when it comes to games is how much enjoyment one get out of it. That part is completely subjective.

The curse of Vita is the game price...if this game was on iOS for even $9.99 it would have gotten much better reviews.

Sony really needs to bring down the prices to $25-35. The $50 tag just doesn't justify the purchase specially for the lack of content. I bet it would have gotten better reviews if it was say $25.

Also for some reason, Vita is judged with much higher expectations than iOS/android and its reflected in some of the reviews I have seen lately for the same games on both.
Activision published the game, not Sony. But yeah, the price is most likely affecting the review scores. The connecting issues in multiplayer isnt really helping either.

Thanks for replies guys.....well totally shocked is it really that bad. Going to see nephew in a few days so I was gonna grab this. Would have grabbed it at launch but wanted to make sure patch issues were sorted. Guess im at the crossroads.

Maybe its ragnarok time. Forty bucks and im sold so might grab it anyway. Will sleep on it.

Can't go wrong with Ragnarok Odyssey. That game is so good. Best Vita game, imo.

did you read the reviews? and why SHOULDN'T full retail games be held to a higher standard than $1 phone games? i shouldn't even have to point out that price is not the only difference between the two

Massa

because it absolutely reeks of the need to justify their purchases

You're making a judgment on people based on their opinion, opinions which are perfectly valid.

AC3 and Liberation are both problematic games. They share some problems, and they both also have their own problems and qualities. It's not surprising in the least to see someone prefer one over the other.

well i find sites like pocketgamer are biased towards smartphone games no doubt compared to Vita or 3DS.

Some of there reviews for iOS/Android are way OTT.

If it plays half decent they hand out 9/10 no problem.

Oh fuck!!

The DS games are the best handheld versions of Call of Duty! :)

Really a shame that they couldn't get tryarch to make a port for vita.

They could somehow make near feature complete wii ports ( those also cost $50) vita should be able to do something similar right?

VanWinkle

Well, Resistance did have a fully funtional campaign, plus multiplayer and was $10 less.

True. But GI gave R:BS a 7 (which I thought it probably a 6/10 or so personally), and this a 3. Just seems like they were more rough on it than they had to be.

They could somehow make near feature complete wii ports ( those also cost $50) vita should be able to do something similar right?

That's what's really frustrating. The Wii version of CoD was great and full-featured, and the Vita is WAY more powerful than the Wii, and we get THIS. It's just annoying. And the Wii games were $50, too.

Gustav

Banned
I really don't understand the super low scores. I just don't. Multiplayer is a ok in my book. Solid offering. Nothing spectacular but fun.

hyogen

Neo Member
Cool. Even 3 hours of single player content would have been laughable. It's less than an HOUR and filled with unnecessarily difficult parts to slow you down??

Massa

I think it's possible that Sony encouraged them to have a unique game, so CoD fans would want to buy both.

Oxymoron

The fact that he thinks there's a "proper" call of duty makes it inevitable that he is actually comparing the game to it's console counterparts, and what it could've been, instead of reviewing the game for what it's.

You realise that Sony's entire marketing campaign for the Vita is based on the premise that you should expect console-quality on the go, right? It's absolutely silly to expect reviews to hold games to a lower standard than the standard set by the platform holder. If Sony had come on stage a year ago and said "We'll have Call of Duty on Vita, but it'll be kind of shit and you shouldn't bother with it", it'd be a different story.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
It seems in this case most places are scoring it on what it's not, rather than what it is. Which, when you think about the fact that a 'full' CoD game was released on the other consoles on the exact same day, kind of makes sense.

It's hard not to get over the fact that Activision really were content to just make something completely bare bones and horribly buggy and sell it for a high price when they could have done so much more (and seemingly knew it) - they deserve to be called out for it. Not sending out the review copies says a lot, too... cash in before the bad press catches on. I wonder how much input Sony had in this game?

I think in a week we'll see the real user impressions once the dust has settled. (Not to suggest the impressions here aren't genuine - I just know for me, the reality sets in after a week or two :p)

You realise that Sony's entire marketing campaign for the Vita is based on the premise that you should expect console-quality on the go, right? It's absolutely silly to expect reviews to hold games to a lower standard than the standard set by the platform holder. If Sony had come on stage a year ago and said "We'll have Call of Duty on Vita, but it'll be kind of shit and you shouldn't bother with it", it'd be a different story.

What sucks about the "console quality on the go" tagline is that it doesn't hold true for every Vita game. If I read theat slogan and played Need For Speed Most Wanted or Mortal Kombat, I would be inclined to agree. I don't think I would agree with the slogan looking at CoD Declassified.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
What sucks about the "console quality on the go" tagline is that it doesn't hold true for every Vita game. If I read theat slogan and played Need For Speed Most Wanted or Mortal Kombat, I would be inclined to agree. I don't think I would agree with the slogan looking at CoD Declassified.
Don't they use that slogan IN the Declassified ad? Pretty dodgy.
Based off impressions here.

If you rather play games during lunch break, fucking hate consoles, or have your spouse taking over your tv.

This is fine :p

My partner constantly steals the TV. Hence my interest in a Wii U :p Man, I can't remember seeing a game get savaged this badly. Guess that happens when no effort/money is thrown at it.

Shikoro

It looks like I'm constantly defending the game (I don't even have it), but that review is utter trash. How about mentioning how the graphics are (is the game sharp, how's the aliasing, texture quality, use of color etc.), how's the sound and sound effects (or if there are any, whatever), what are the options since a lot of people were asking if the sensitivity can be changed. Nothing, absolutely nothing is mentioned about those things. For shame, gaming journalism, if such a thing ever existed.

It looks like I'm constantly defending the game (I don't even have it), but that review is utter trash. How about mentioning how the graphics are (is the game sharp, how's the aliasing, texture quality, use of color etc.), how's the sound and sound effects (or if there are any, whatever), what are the options since a lot of people were asking if the sensitivity can be changed. Nothing, absolutely nothing is mentioned about those things. For shame, gaming journalism, if such a thing ever existed.

Some reviews mentioned those. (visuals ain't hot, sound is quiet)

I thought everyone hated the stupid point breakdown thing from ign about presentation and shit o_O

Geek

Ninny Prancer
bjSrO.jpg

Heh.

Top Bottom