• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
If they had done a straight port, it would have been panned for being a port and not being suitable for portable play
That doesn't mean the non-ported CoD needs to be a feature-poor, bare-bones release.
?

I'm sure we'll see more ports then anything tbh :p (unless I've misunderstood your post..)
It's kind of at the point where I wonder if we'll see much of anything (from third parties , anyway).

Carl

Which would have justified the price-tag.

Not saying it wouldnt... I was saying the game would have been panned for being a port and not suitable for portable play

Remember when everyone complained "i dont want console games on the go. I want games made for portable play like Nintendo do".

Ollie Pooch

Not saying it wouldnt... I was saying the game would have been panned for being a port and not suitable for portable play

Remember when everyone complained "i dont want console games on the go. I want games made for portable play like Nintendo do".
I actually think the opposite - a polished version of Black Ops 2 with all the online integration and some Vita-specific stuff would be quite impressive. Matches are quick in CoD, easy to pick up and play. Instead we get an overpriced release crippled by 'publisher not giving a shit' syndrome.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

And I'm saying Vita ports are not being panned for being ports.

Rayman Origins on Vita has a higher Metacritic average than Rayman Origins on 360/PC/PS3.
3DS has a much lower Metacritic average than it on 360/PC/PS3.

Same story with Virtua Tennis. If the port is well done the game gets good scores. If the port isn't well done it will be rated lower.

This game is not good. There is no conspiracy here. The developers had a shit schedule and probably delivered the best they could in the time allotted. They probably even had to work weekends and were then laid off regardless.

Carl

Those games are all suitable for portable play already, so kind of misses the point...

"the game is not good" pretty much the opposite of what i've been reading here :)

Ollie Pooch

Those games are all suitable for portable play already, so kind of misses the point...

"the game is not good" pretty much the opposite of what i've been reading here :)
But how is regular game NOT suited to portable play? Much of the positive comments say 'it feels like the real Call of Duty!" - a console port would be just as suitable.

Skyzard

Banned

Cod regulars would be ok playing on the bus/train I reckon..anywhere on the vita handheld (preferably with a grip :p). Really why good bots and a decent number of maps should have been made instead of (just) hostiles mode...especially with a meh campaign (from what I've heard). I would have played that for a year, longer if there isn't a new cod next year.

benny_a

cmbadv25.jpg

Yeah I know. You're also the guy that values the user reviews on metacritic (of which 67% of the written reviews were written by sockpuppet accounts that were created to score the game highly) over industry veteran reviewers.

Carl

cmbadv25.jpg

Yeah I know. You're also the guy that values the user reviews on metacritic (of which 67% of the written reviews were written by sockpuppet accounts that were created to score the game highly) over industry veteran reviewers.

I'm not moving goalposts. Nowhere did i mention previous reviews. I said "the game would get panned for being a port AND NOT BEING SUITABLE FOR PORTABLE PLAY" :)

and yes, i value user reviews (not necessarily metacritic reviews) over critics. I always buy games based on user reviews. Havent bought a game based on crtic reviews this gen :) served me well so far.

Ollie Pooch

Cod regulars would be ok playing on the bus/train I reckon. Really why good bots and a decent number of maps should have been made instead of (just) hostiles mode...especially with a meh campaign (from what I've heard). I would have played that for a year, longer if there isn't a new cod next year.
Regular CoD players would have the console version, so a crossplay-enabled Vita one would make even more sense.

Carl

In fact, i havent even read any of the metacritic reviews. I looked at the score, but that's it. Overwhelming majority of people in this thread that have actually played it are enjoying it, from what i can see :)

Skyzard

Banned
^ Yeah, I didn't think you read them anyway, just users posting here...and youtube videos like me.

Regular CoD players would have the console version, so a crossplay-enabled Vita one would make even more sense.

It could have exploded vita sales.

I read the giantbomb review. Seems fair enough, but harsh with the score. Didn't talk about a lot of the things that were important to me in a cod game - framerate stability, map selection's replayability, hardly even talked about multiplayer (except for all the current(?) technical issues). I think a lot of these reviewers mostly appreciated the cod singleplayer games and expected that with a full price tag (that I suspect they had to shell out for). He slammed the controls hard too, I heard they were good?

Carl

But how is regular game NOT suited to portable play? Much of the positive comments say 'it feels like the real Call of Duty!" - a console port would be just as suitable.

A SP mode like COD is hardly suitable for quick 10 minute blasts of gameplay like most people want from a portable device.

VanWinkle

It is annoying to think how much better and more feature-rich the Wii CoD games were than this. And besides the dynamic lighting, which is nice, the graphics seem to be about the same as the Wii games, too. And the Wii games had the full size CoD maps and more players. It honestly blows me mind a little. Same price, probably 1/5th of the content.

Of course, that's all Acitivision's fault and not the Vita's hardware (which is vastly superior to the Wii's). Just frustrating. That's why, even though it seems to be a somewhat decent game, I could never support it.

Seriously, a vita port with cross play would easily make vita a big deal in the west this holiday.

BLOPS 2 already sold a million at GS day 1, a small fraction of that would be insane for vita.

benny_a

Especially as 4 of the 5 (the last one arguably) of the best rated games on Vita are console games fitted for the Vita.

And the worst rated game until now was a handheld exclusive. (The upcoming worst rated game is as well.)

I don't know where this idea is from that the games are being judged poorly for not being playable in 1-2 minute bursts.

Ollie Pooch

A SP mode like COD is hardly suitable for quick 10 minute blasts of gameplay like most people want from a portable device.
I don't get this. Uncharted was cutscene-heavy and the missions were hardly portable-oriented but it did well. CoD wouldn't work? Sounds like excuses to me! :p I welcome console-ish experiences on the Vita.
Of course, that's all Acitivision's fault and not the Vita's hardware (which is vastly superior to the Wii's). Just frustrating. That's why, even though it seems to be a somewhat decent game, I could never support it.
That's it. The novelty of a handheld FPS with decent gameplay is appealing to me, and I've been going back and forth on it. But I can't support such a cynical product.

rockx4

Some comments in here reminds me of my childhood days when my parents made me choose between a Playstation and an N64. I went with the N64. I don't regret getting the N64 (it had a lot of games I wanted), but when I wanted to play RPGs the only one available was Quest 64. I bought it for full price and convinced myself it was good enough, since it was the only thing resembling an RPG, but it was horrible.

benny_a

That's it. The novelty of a handheld FPS with decent gameplay is appealing to me, and I've been going back and forth on it. But I can't support such a cynical product.
Exactly.

Whoever supports cynical games such as this and for example the rebranded FIFA13 is the enemy of all consumers (yes, even themselves even though they don't realize this yet) because they signal to the publisher that they can be fucked. And as the bonus there is a defense force for this. Absurd.

Carl

Exactly.

Whoever supports cynical games such as this and for example the rebranded FIFA13 is the enemy of all consumers (yes, even themselves even though they don't realize this yet) because they signal to the publisher that they can be fucked. And as the bonus there is a defense force for this. Absurd.

Lol, i'm not defending it. I dont even own it.

Ollie Pooch

Exactly.

The saddest thing is that it probably will be the highest selling Vita game on name alone. Which was obviously what Activision/Sony were counting on.

fernoca

Sucks that if you enjoy the game (like me) then you're Vita loyalist trying to justify wasting $50 on this.

I had this preordered even before preordering BOII and the PSP bonus game was announced. I knew it was supposed to be a "short" game. And I also knew that the MSRP was $50.

And now there's that other/5 months dev time thread. Oh well. Back to Declassified and Black Ops II
and Wonderbook

So have there been any reviews? The content in this $50 debacle looks atrocious, but does it actually function in terms of performance and controls?

Couple reviews from sites I've never heard of. They've shit all over the game, much like many user reviews I've read. It definitely doesn't appear to be the miracle worker the Vita needed to attract a large audience.

Oxymoron

Sucks that if you enjoy the game (like me) then you're Vita loyalist trying to justify wasting $50 on this.

I had this preordered even before preordering BOII and the PSP bonus game was announced. I knew it was supposed to be a "short" game. And I also knew that the MSRP was $50.

I'm curious, on the basis of what information did you preorder it? It seems really weird to me to preorder a game whose publisher has so little confidence in it it never let anyone outside the company play it and never released screenshots or videos. What made you so confident that it was a game you needed to have in the complete absence of any information about it?

Skyzard

Banned

And now there's that other/5 months dev time thread. Oh well. Back to Declassified ans Black Ops II
and Wonderbook

How've you been finding the controls/framerate and map selection so far fernoca? Jeff in giantbomb slammed the controls hard but I was under the impression that they were decent..Not many have talked about framerate during combat and the various maps either..would be much appreciated!
I'm personally not too interested in the sp..(without bots).

Some people knew they would be playing the game a lot and enjoying it no matter what. If it's worth it to you then who cares. I don't agree that everyone who buys this game is a traitor :p

But for people who do feel like it isn't up to scratch, I'd just say that I would hope you'd manage to hold off to a price drop/or a more reasonable situation/offer.

MisterC20XX

It's crazy to me that this game is on track to be the lowest-rated Vita game ever while at the same time being the game I'll probably wind up playing the most thanks to the fun, hectic MP. I really hope the connectivity issues are worked out. All I want right now is the ability to connect to a game every time one is available. It would be sad if that issue is never resolved.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This piece of shit is probably going to sell tons. Actually maybe not, it is the Vita. Anyway, shame on these asshats for pushing this crap out at 50

Skyzard

Banned
It's crazy to me that this game is on track to be the lowest-rated Vita game ever while at the same time being the game I'll probably wind up playing the most thanks to the fun, hectic MP. I really hope the connectivity issues are worked out. All I want right now is the ability to connect to a game every time one is available. It would be sad if that issue is never resolved.

They've submitted 1.02 from what I've read here..not sure when it will hit. Some people never had to update to 1.01 and so don't have much trouble online either.

fernoca

I'm curious, on the basis of what information did you preorder it? It seems really weird to me to preorder a game whose publisher has so little confidence in it it never let anyone outside the company play it and never released screenshots or videos. What made you so confident that it was a game you needed to have in the complete absence of any information about it?
In general? Experience. Through years I've learned to ignore reviews, and impressions and just "go for it". :p (As I say, a ton..one of my favorites games ever is P.N.03 on Gamecube, a game that was trashed by reviewers for not been like Devil May Cry..even when it wasn't supposed to be).

Activision was like this with Black Ops, World at War on Wii and DS; so their silence is more because "we don't want peopel thinking the "HD version" is this one". Heck, even witth Skylanders on 3DS they were like this; though they did sent review copies. And even sending early review copies didn't changed anything (like I noted earlier about how IGN said that the review would be ready "later this week", gave wrong information about the 3DS version and a year later the review still hasn't been posted). Heck, even after the hype and more acclaim the reviews of the sequel are still too few. Like this one, the portable version is different than the console verisons (and costed as much).

I knew Nihilistic didn't had the best track record (reviews-wise), but at the same time the last 2 games form them I've played, I enjoyed them. PlayStation Move Heroes was what I expected: a bunch of minigames with Sony mascots. Burning Skies I got it for free with my Vita, but I was disappointed with Resistance 2 (by Insomniac) so I avoided R3. Enjoyed Burning Skies, looked good, multiplayer was kinda fun; it even got me interested in Resistance again so ended getting 3 and glad I did (way better than 2).

So I went to Declassified because: I liked Black Ops and the "short missions" and "horde modes" sounded fun. As I said earleir, I played Spec Ops on MW3 more than the online multiplayer, so getting to play that, on a portable was fine by me.

Was $50 too much? Not to me, Declasssied is better than what I expected back when I preordered. Ended getting a game that exceeded my expectations and even got a bonus PSP game with it. Of course I'd love paying less for games (who wouldn't? :p), but in the end if I'm interested in a game, I get it. And if teh game happens to suck? Well, live and learn. Like with many other games, I won't get the sequel/follow-up.

How've you been finding the controls/framerate and map selection so far fernoca? Jeff in giantbomb slammed the controls hard but I was under the impression that they were decent..Not many have talked about framerate during combat and the various maps either..would be much appreciated!
I'm personally not too interested in the sp..(without bots).

Some people knew they would be playing the game a lot and enjoying it no matter what. If it's worth it to you then who cares. I don't agree that everyone who buys this game is a traitor :p

But for people who do feel like it isn't up to scratch, I'd just say that I would hope you'd manage to hold off to a price drop/or a more reasonable situation/offer.
No problems with the controls. Even on my quick impressions after the midnight launch; which I posted here after leaving work at 2AM, arriving home and finally getting to play after 3AM...with a fever. My first impression was that the controls felt just the same as the console versions (throwing bombs aside which uses the touchscreen). No problems aiming, moving, no adjustments made contrary to others that even liking the game had to adjust sensitivity. Neither with "auto-sprint" which I actually prefer over having to press down on the d-pad.

Online, no problems. But the same applies to other games. People talk about crashes, bugs, disconnects on Black Ops II, Assassin's Creed III, etc. and no problems here. That doesn't mean that the problems aren't there, but none to report in my case.

No problems with framerate. And is not like I don't notice (Assassin's Creed Liberation somehow drops a lot when you're inside buildings..at least in my experience).

No bots, having the option would be cool. But at teh same time, Hostiles is that: You, in one of the multiplayer maps, againts waves of CPU-controlled enemies.

And I agree with the price drop. It wasn't a big deal to me, but I know many don't like paying such amounts for short games, handheld games, or non-limited editions, day one games, etc. I mean, look at Child of Eden. Many wanted/asked for a sequel to Rez, they got it, and even when Rez was priced at $50 back then (on a time when there were other Dreamcast and PS2 games with "more content for the same price"); somehow $50 for Child of Eden in 2011 "was too much". The game was damn great (music was awesome too) and I could understand many not wanting to pay "that much".

But it kinda sucks how some condemn those that despite that, decide to get the games. Maybe is because I come from playing Atari 2600 and E.T., times when you either bought a game, or you didn't. Or tons of arcades, were you played a game and had to get used to the controls (sometimes by instinct) and no instructions, limited word of mouth, no websites to read impressions no reviews (heck, no friends as I was too little :p). I mean, I wasted like hundreds of dollars on The Simpsons arcade back then, yet many found the $10 price tag "too much" this days.

And is not as if I like eveyrthing, but I always keep my mind open. I was disappointed by Assassin's Creed, never finished it and even avoided Assassin's Creed II; until a friend bought it for me a month after release. Result? One of my favorites games that year and reason I've played every AC game since then (and even preordered most).

Now, I can't wait to when I change my avatar, some think that is because I was disappointed with the game, even when I've said tons of time that I change avatars as much as underwear; sometimes 2-3 times...per day. :p

VanWinkle

I wish Zipper would have added competitive multi mode on Unit 13. It would have been like a more refined and polished version of this.

Guys/Girls,

Im going to chime in, with my take, on some of the ongoing discussion. Declassified is not a bad game. Its just not. While its not the most feature/content packed FPS, you will find enjoyment for your $.

The jist im getting from a lot of opinions here (elsewhere, too), were all to a fault, based on the expecations game. Some expected a shit show, some expected a full COD. Expecations are a wild beast, often leading to ultimate disappointment, more often than not. A common culprit, or detriment is surely in most cases, grandiose hype. In this case, it was the shit show low expectations, that have worked in Declassfied's favor. Those early showings and lack of information, have left absolutely no expectations. The game had nowhere to go but upward in the impression trajectory.

Again, as a casual COD fan, i recommend the game.

This is COD, not a phoned in facsimile of a series, like Nova or Modern Combat. This is COD, distilled down to the esscense of what COD really is. Behind all of the main COD's smoke and mirrors, the series is really an arcade based twitch shooter. A fun and engaging experience. The same esscence resides in Declassfied.

I play console games far less, because i surrender the TV. Vita COD allows an outlet to enjoy the gameplay of the series, without complety sacrificing gaming time. Sure, there is a Wii U hypothetical, and as much as I adore Nintendo, i have no dedicated space for an additional console. I also am hesitant, because the port or available games logic applied by Vita haters, also appliesfto the Wii U library. Sure there might be the odd gem or original game, but the same is true of the Vita as well, I suppose. That and I also want to see what Sony and Microsoft offer, see how Wii U sells and if it is as future proof as the competitors. Then I will
Decide.

Anyhow.

I feel terrible for Nihilistic. From playing the game, its quite apparent they had a sense of pride and care with the license. Activision was most likely the culprit to blame. i can only speculate that Sony secured an individual installment (NGP announcement), which Activision began to develop in house. Activision probably was contractually obligated to bring an individual installment, and they did. The wrench in the plan, however, Vita sales began to tank worldwide. Activision would see no signifcant financial gain, investing greater resources, its Sonys handheld tosell, not theirs. Instead of cancelling the game, due to announcement and expectations - Sony probably negotiated a last minute deal with Nihilistic.

Theyve done an admirable job, delivering a good game, amidst great turmoil. Its a shame really, im gladto own the game, because i find it to be better than good, its great.

Top Bottom