• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Berg

Anyone picking up the WiiU version at midnight tonight?
Would like to get some impressions before I pick it up at 11am tomorrow.

Popparoks

You guys know you don't even have to do the Strike Force missions to beat the game right? just do the core ones. unless you go for trophies and achievements.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Why are the "recorded" games only around 2 minutes, how have they managed to screw this up from previous games where you can't even view most of the match now?

Why are the "recorded" games only around 2 minutes, how have they managed to screw this up from previous games where you can't even view most of the match now?

it was like that with ground war in Blops 1, it would only record a few minutes of the match, only with ground war though.

Hyunkel6

I got one of the worst endings, I think.
Alex Mason, Hudson, Farim dead, The Obama destroyed, the computer chick dead, Menendez escapes in the end, kills Woods and his cyberattack succeeds. Any ideas how to save the girl and Farim?

Veezy

que?
Alright, not sure if this is the thread for it, but if anybody wants to add a completely terrible player to their friends list, my Steam name is:

veezybaby

I am not that good. However, I am creative with shit talking, should that be desired. So, there's that.

Cake Boss

Banned
This game is bipolar, it goes from the worst COD ever created MP wise to the best one since COD4 depending which map is being played.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
The last few games I have consistently been killed by an enemy to have them then killed a second later by a team mate, it's like I decide to do something a second too early and end up getting myself killed.

This game would be sooooooo much better if they fixed ghost. Hard to run and gun with my crappy aim. -_-

To me it seems like Ghost is now designed for those who want to run around with an SMG, it only works if you are moving pretty much full speed and doesn't when looking down sights unless you have stock equipped.

So essentially most SMG classes at the moment.

it was like that with ground war in Blops 1, it would only record a few minutes of the match, only with ground war though.

Ah, cheers, well that's a bit lame, lol.

It might be because I'm in the Air Force and this is a really small detail that most wouldn't even think about, let alone give a shit about, but damn does it not bother me that apparently
in the Black Ops universe that a gunship fighter jet exists 13 years from now. A. GUNSHIP FIGHTER JET. My mind is full of fuck

Truespeed

I just read the Digital Foundry technical analysis and as expected the PS3 version is a POS. I had my doubts, but they were laid fully to rest. I feel sorry for the people that bought the PS3 care package version.

aku:jiki

It might be because I'm in the Air Force and this is a really small detail that most wouldn't even think about, let alone give a shit about, but damn does it not bother me that apparently
in the Black Ops universe that a gunship fighter jet exists 13 years from now. A. GUNSHIP FIGHTER JET. My mind is full of fuck
Could've explained what the hell that means for those of us who aren't in the AF.

snap0212

Just got myself the sweet GAF emblem. Nothing but a positive experience in terms of connection and stuff like that. Hit me up on xbl if you want to Team up. :)

Crazyorloco

Okay this is going to sound crazy and just like pure whinging but am I the only one who feels like the unluckiest guy in the entire world whenever I play this damn game? I mean, I'm by no means a bad player and I do get my fair share of kills but every. single. thing is always followed by bucket loads of bad luck.

EVERY CQB encounter always ends up with the other guy winning because he was in a favourable position or had a better weapon, I can look at a fucking door for 6 hours and the SECOND I turn around, someone appears at the door and shoots me. I can look at some window for half a day, a guy appears and despite I have a rifle and get hit markers on him in hardcore HE KILLS ME! A room with 2-3 guys covering a bomb site or something like that, the lone enemy rushing will ALWAYS kill me first and the other guys will get him despite being in the most unfavourable position for him, he then GOES for me.

When we're 4 v one guy left, he just KNOWS where I am but when looking at spectator mode from every other guy he wanders around aimlessly like he never played the fucking game in his life and they can basically walk up in punch him in the face.

WHY CAN'T I HAVE SOME LUCK?!

Lol this is the COD experience for me too...and yet I'll keep playing and playing until I have a great game.

Hey man you planning on doing any BO2 vids? You had a good commentary style. What are your thoughts on the game?

I gotta give it a week or two more before I give some of my thoughts, mainly because I think some of these issues with latency are due to server stress, and that makes or breaks a game for me. but I think there are some smart design choices here, and the core gameplay is fun, but becomes kind monotonous because it plays at the same pace almost every match. I do plan on making videos, and wanted to make one of a 77 kill game I had, but I found my dvr doesn't work now :/ plan on getting a new one soon though.

Could've explained what the hell that means for those of us who aren't in the AF.

Basically, the F/A-38 is ludicrous as a concept as depicted in the game. Let's ignore for a second the ridiculous idea that not only the Navy and AF created a brand new jet, field tested it, and fully produced them (it was mentioned that they scrambled 200 F/A-38's to take LA, we only have 187 F-22s for comparison and that was tested in the 90s)

The jet in the game apparently can act as both a fighter jet and a gunship (aka an Apache from BF for a comparison.) It's seen hovering indefinitely, and making tight turns as it does so. Here's the problem: VTOL aircraft (such as the F-35 and Harriers) take a LOT of fuel, which is why when a VTOL jet hovers it has to do so and take off in a short amount of time. There's absolutely no way we can create a jet like that in reality unless we find some magical way of making it fuel efficient. Not just great fuel efficient, I'm talking damn near perfect fuel efficient. It's like the Hybrid cars on massive MASSIVE steroids in terms of efficiency.

If we designed the F/A-38 as is right now, it'd run out of fuel in probably 5 minutes (likely less) before crashing and burning, killing the pilot.

I know it's a game, yes, it's fiction, but goddamn if my inner military can't help but call bullshit every once in awhile

nOoblet16

Well I understand the complain but it's just a game, movies (even the ones that look rather scientific) do the same thing...for example the ship in Prometheus is so big that it's impossible for it to enter an atmosphere and leave it on its own, a ship that big needs to be built in orbit and has to pretty much never enter the atmosphere.

I'm a skydiver and my mind simply can't digest [/spoiler]people wingsuiting when it's raining (and the wingsuit looks more like a skydiver camera suit as there's no inflation in suit), or that jetpack esque hard wings that the soldiers use to descend to ground without needing a parachute.[/spoiler]. But still I found those set pieces enjoyable and fun.

They probably picked 2025 so as to have the tech in the game have some sort of grounded appeal with some existing near future to future technology (unmanned infantry units, drones, optical camo, the HUD and PDA). Who knows what they would've came up with if they had gone all out future warfare.

Damn had a 4.00 K/D game. Using the Vector on Slums
4ncQf.png
I'll go off on a high note tonight.

Jack_AG

Banned
When you prestige - do you keep all weapon attachments and camo even if you don't waste your 1 unlock on them or are you forced to level them all over again? Meaning - if a weapon requires level 30 and you acquire it at 30 - do you need to unlock attachments again or does that weapon remain leveled aside from needing an unlock at a specific player level?

GAMERG0D

When you prestige - do you keep all weapon attachments and camo even if you don't waste your 1 unlock on them or are you forced to level them all over again? Meaning - if a weapon requires level 30 and you acquire it at 30 - do you need to unlock attachments again or does that weapon remain leveled aside from needing an unlock at a specific player level?

You keep all your progress, you don't need to unlock it again. You just have to level up to 30.

So, uh, I'm about 1 mission into the campaign and I have no idea what is going on.

I just rescued Woods, but I shot some guy manning the radio in the face during the escape. Then a grenade blew up like two feet away from him after he was shot. Now the year is 2025 and he survived? Is that the same guy? And he leads a terrorist organization on Twitter?

Respawn

Banned
NEED MORE PLAYERS TO BALANCE TEAMS

Please patch this shit. The lobby is f'ing full. Treyarch I know you can see this so add that to list of fixes if you haven't already

Acinixys

If you prestige your WEAPON, all unlocks lock again and you have to unlock them. Im on Prestige 2 for my 870.

If you just do a normal lvl based prestige, all the gun lock again, but when you reach the lvl to unlock them all their attachments/camo is available

And he leads a terrorist organization on Twitter?

Man, i chuckled

Unlocking ghost was a waste. I should've used it on scavenger or something.

I agree. Scavenger is really nice in this one. Not OP but nice. Unlimited betties and RPGs is amazing in Domination. I had to take Ghost though because it's Ghost. Have yet to try it out.

Sojgat

I like the unlock system. It's like BF3, it forces you to experiment with each weapon as you level them up, and try out what setups work best with each weapon. It's easy to do well with a great weapon, finding ways to get the lesser guns to be effective is a fun challenge. I'm on my way to 3rd prestige, never done that in a COD before (double XP is helping).

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So, uh, I'm about 1 mission into the campaign and I have no idea what is going on.

I just rescued Woods, but I shot some guy manning the radio in the face during the escape. Then a grenade blew up like two feet away from him after he was shot. Now the year is 2025 and he survived? Is that the same guy? And he leads a terrorist organization on Twitter?

LOL the plot is nonsensical, try not to think about it too much.

DoomGyver

Sometimes I'll cook a frag and it will dud out. I've noticed people throwing frags at myself and they haven't gone off. wtf

Erasus

Had some pretty bad issues with lag last night. This time it was't lag compensation, it was something else.

I was in the middle of a game when I started glitching all over the place. I'd leap ahead or backward a few steps at a time in twitchy fashion. When I checked connection status on the scoreboard every player in the game showed as having 0 bars (just a small red dot.)

It was obviously not just happening to me as the game basically came to a halt, nobody was able to do anything. This would last for a minute or two, then it would gradually go back to normal.

I switched to a different lobby afterward and things were mostly better, but I still did notice a touch of lag for the rest of the evening. Especially when watching killcams.

On another note - I sure hope select fire on the FAL is worth all of the shit I'm going through to get it. As a semi-auto gun it sucks. I'm getting massacred as I level up the gun to unlock sf.

Yea dude that is called server lag.... All players lag = servers fault

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Screw snipers and those that defend this bs broken mechanic, especially screw Treyarch and Infinity Ward for letting it become part of the norm, just played raid with 5 of the 8 enemy players were quick scoping, running around OHK everyone, there is no way to kill these guys before they kill you because of this shitty lag compensation.

Being punished like this for not having a shitty internet connection is a joke, the match would have been a disaster if I hadn't just camped out in the spawn building on one side pretty much doing nothing at all, walking along either of the routers to the other side got you killed.

/rant.

Well I feel better, lol.

I like the unlock system. It's like BF3, it forces you to experiment with each weapon as you level them up, and try out what setups work best with each weapon. It's easy to do well with a great weapon, finding ways to get the lesser guns to be effective is a fun challenge. I'm on my way to 3rd prestige, never done that in a COD before (double XP is helping).

A player shouldn't be forced into anything. If anything, the unlock system actively discourages experimentation. First, you can't even unlock everything unless you spend 150 hours in the game. So the whole mix-and-match benefits of Pick Ten are immediately gimped.

Second, if I've leveled up two ARs, say the MTAR and the AK, enough to unlock the attachments, I might say, "Hey, I want to try the SCAR with the silencer." If that's not available to me, I'm not going to spend another 4 hours just to test out a new rifle and attachment.

I don't care about filling bars. If all weapons, perks, and gear were available to me immediately, I'd experiment more. I wouldn't neglect 90% of the weapons in the game like I am forced to now. It's not worth being at a disadvantage and grinding weapons to get what you want. Not everyone has 200 hours to play CoD to try out the builds they want.

In a perfect world, you can fill bars for goofy aesthetic stuff, but competitive, gameplay-affecting features would be available immediately.

Everyone is using Best Search Parameters right? Found out about it yesterday and the difference is night and day. Still get the occasional lag but no where near the level I was getting it previously. This and looking at player cards locks you should be added to the OP.

Top Bottom