• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Mileena

Banned
But it wasn't that good in short range, at least compared to the other smg's with stopping power. And it wasn't all that good long range either compared to some of the dominant AR's.

I don't even know what I'm reading anymore. Sure, the UMP wasn't that good long and short range.

:lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I finished it, and I think it was really great. There are basically no frustrating, CoD-style bullshitty sections in the game, and for the first time in forever I don't feel like the game has grenade spam issues! Game has a real variety to it that I like. Settings change, weapons change, objectives change...it's a really solid product. Treyarch is obviously beyond Infinity Ward at this point.

The only parts I dislike about the game are the parts from the original Black Ops. The past and the "present" really feel like they belong to different games (tonally, not gameplay-wise). Woods is an awful character-- a gruff, exaggerated "badass" caricature who would look better in a tinfoil hat than he would in uniform. The new characters are all surprisingly fun, Harper in particular. I was afraid he'd be a total douche based on prerelease media, but he's actually somewhat of a lovable meathead type. David Mason shits on his annoying father from great height, which I enjoyed. The gruesome brutality of the first game seems to really only stick around in the "first game" segments. The future stuff is lighter...almost comical at times.

Now hopefully I never, ever have to hear or see Sam Worthington ever again.

I really enjoyed this game and I think it's probably the best one of the generation.

aku:jiki

With stopping power, yes. You can ignore the numbers, the stats of the guns, but what I said wasn't trolling. The mp5k dominated the ump in close range situations when both were using stopping power.
I'm confused, why are you posting like you think Stopping Power somehow does different things for different guns? It gives you 1.4x damage and that's it. The UMP has the highest close-range damage (40) out of all SMGs in MW2 with or without SP. The MP5k has the same close-range damage and a slightly better hipfire accuracy, sure, but it can't shoot for shit out of close range situations and is a far less versatile weapon. The UMP can do everything with its low recoil and very small damage dropoff over range.

Again, all CoD threads should have this link: http://denkirson.xanga.com/

Desaan

Still a dick move by Treyarch to nerf Ghost and do nothing about the perma UAV bullshit. Removes every tactical element of the game when people just run round with their eyes perma glued to the radar. Oh yeah, feel free to shoot them down if you want to spend 20+ seconds or so with your dick in your hand whilst try to find the fucking thing. The more I play multiplayer the more I despise it, I'm determined to get my monies worth.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It's not much better on the PC. I've watched kill cams where I had 3-4 hit markers and according to the hit reg not one landed. It makes me laugh that people consider this an e-sport.
The server thinks you missed. The alternative is client side hit reg, which opens up a whole other can of worms.

Nome

So I finished it, and I think it was really great. There are basically no frustrating, CoD-style bullshitty sections in the game, and for the first time in forever I don't feel like the game has grenade spam issues! Game has a real variety to it that I like. Settings change, weapons change, objectives change...it's a really solid product. Treyarch is obviously beyond Infinity Ward at this point.

The only parts I dislike about the game are the parts from the original Black Ops. The past and the "present" really feel like they belong to different games (tonally, not gameplay-wise). Woods is an awful character-- a gruff, exaggerated "badass" caricature who would look better in a tinfoil hat than he would in uniform. The new characters are all surprisingly fun, Harper in particular. I was afraid he'd be a total douche based on prerelease media, but he's actually somewhat of a lovable meathead type. David Mason shits on his annoying father from great height, which I enjoyed. The gruesome brutality of the first game seems to really only stick around in the "first game" segments. The future stuff is lighter...almost comical at times.

Now hopefully I never, ever have to hear or see Sam Worthington ever again.

I really enjoyed this game and I think it's probably the best one of the generation.

+1 to Harper. He was surprisingly awesome.

redhot_

Mute all but party. BEST feature in the game.

Also, fuck split-screeners, no one wants to play with your idiot friend who has never held a controller before.

Mileena

Banned
My mistake, should have said it wasn't dominant. It was my go-to cold blooded gun, though, since it has 3 hit kill capabilities at all ranges.

I rolled with it in hardcore S&D and it's 1-2 hit kill anywhere

best gun in the game IMO hands down, it's all I used for 7 prestiges on 360 and 10 on PS3.

Madtown_

I'm confused, why are you posting like you think Stopping Power somehow does different things for different guns? It gives you 1.4x damage and that's it. The UMP has the highest close-range damage (40) out of all SMGs in MW2 with or without SP. The MP5k has the same close-range damage and a slightly better hipfire accuracy, sure, but it can't shoot for shit out of close range situations and is a far less versatile weapon. The UMP can do everything with its low recoil and very small damage dropoff over range.

Again, all CoD threads should have this link: http://denkirson.xanga.com/

I'm not. Not sure why you assumed.

The big difference is the rate of fire. Something like 30% better with the mp5k.

I rolled with it in hardcore S&D and it's 1-2 hit kill anywhere

best gun in the game IMO hands down, it's all I used for 7 prestiges on 360 and 10 on PS3.
If you're in hardcore, I absolutely agree. It does 35 damage everywhere so it's IMO the best b/c it should be a one hit kill and you get all of the perks of being a SMG.

Just finished it. The single player had a pretty good story, but damn did it keep breaking on me. I've had trucks freeze up because they ran over an ally drone, allies that wouldn't listen to any of my commands, prescripted sections that would kill me repeatedly until it randomly decided not to, and an entire section where it decided I couldn't use a gun.

Just now I was replaying the flooded level, and when I was controlling one of those turrets the game refused to let me play as the characters again. I was just stuck as a turret. I tried to fail the mission by shooting my friends, but when it reloaded I was still in the damn turret and couldn't continue the mission. Forcing me to restart it all over again. I'm glad the story was fun, because I don't normally tolerate that amount of jank.

Ok, I checked the list of features, and quite frankly everything sounds incredible. SP, MP, Zombies. I might just get it, but I wanted Hitman first >.<

tiddles

Guys, how do I beat the
Zhao Assassination Strike Force mission?
It's giving me hell. I've already retried it twice. I hate how stupid the friendly AI is. Each time I try to make it to the EMP site, I get desroyed.

First of all, don't issue orders to your buddies until the very end - they will just get killed. Work your way up the right hand side, clearing out each area methodically. Watch out for enemies counterattacking from the centre areas. Use rockets on the small drones. Don't head out into the end area with the downed VTOL until you've cleared out as many enemies as possible, using the archway going into that area as a chokepoint. When you set the EMP, there will be a final counterattack - i took cover behind a pillar on the right (looking back towards the starting area), and finally ordered all the other units to advance to my location. I was able to hold off the attackers long enough until the EMP was set. Chewed through 5 strike teams to beat it though :)

Jack_AG

Banned
To the people who recommended the M27. You were right. This gun is kickass.
I'm having a hard time choosing this it the Vector when I prestige. 27 is great but with lag comp I can't win any face to face with maps as tiny as they are. I might have to roll Sub when prestige rolls around.

Even if I play corners and keep my distance from the center of the maps I get shot from behind anyway. At close range where 90% of my firefights occur - ARs can't dish out fast enough compared to a Sub.

Ryck

So is it me or the patch removed the blur filter? Looks better to me right now, sharper and much better.
Definitely just played it and I had to lower my tv's sharpness back down to normal. When I first played It I had to raise the sharpness to almost double so that it wouldn't look like crap.

eek5

I'm having a hard time choosing this it the Vector when I prestige. 27 is great but with lag comp I can't win any face to face with maps as tiny as they are. I might have to roll Sub when prestige rolls around.

Even if I play corners and keep my distance from the center of the maps I get shot from behind anyway. At close range where 90% of my firefights occur - ARs can't dish out fast enough compared to a Sub.

Isn't the vector a pretty low level unlock? You keep your weapon level when you prestige so I'm not going to perma unlock any low level weapons.

Ryck

So did they ever find out what resolution this game is running at? I have to say that I think that the PS3 version is definitely running at a higher resolution than the first game was.

Treyarch put 5 scorestreaks above 1300, seems a bit of a waste. I think when they look at the stats they'll realised they probably need to scale some of those down a bit. No one is getting anywhere near those, well at least in the lobbies I've played in.

Jack_AG

Banned
Isn't the vector a pretty low level unlock? You keep your weapon level when you prestige so I'm not going to perma unlock any low level weapons.
I forget when it is unlocked. Maybe i'll hit the 27 or another full-auto since I'm not running 99% of the time ghost is useless. I'd rather take out a UAV with a PDA instead of using ghost.

I dig tactical options but I rather like being able to disable enemy tech vs shock, stun, flash, etc. Maybe i'll keep my PDA.

Kyoufu

So is it me or the patch removed the blur filter? Looks better to me right now, sharper and much better.

Didn't know there was a patch. Did it fix anything else?

Treyarch put 5 scorestreaks above 1300, seems a bit of a waste. I think when they look at the stats they'll realised they probably need to scale some of those down a bit. No one is getting anywhere near those, well at least in the lobbies I've played in.

I see them pretty often. :(

Jack_AG

Banned
I think most hardcore "press X and summon a beast which annihilates everything on spawn" should be toned down, in general. I got hit with a missile strike over and over almost instantly with each spawn in an earlier match today.

There is an extreme CQC game here and gunplay is shot to hell with netcode the last thing I need is a random drop giving the enemy team an even greater advantage with "set and forget" type gameplay.

Saw a dude with 2 bars (dunno how he got in a "best" game) go 43-2 earlier while nobody with 4 bars broke even.

I don't think people with dial-up should be given even more power when they already have lag-comp handing them gift-wrapped kills.

nitric0

I feel like I'm the only one shooting down UAVs with rockets. No one does it, do people not understand how important it is to take down UAVs? Bah I hate random teams

Jhoan

First of all, don't issue orders to your buddies until the very end - they will just get killed. Work your way up the right hand side, clearing out each area methodically. Watch out for enemies counterattacking from the centre areas. Use rockets on the small drones. Don't head out into the end area with the downed VTOL until you've cleared out as many enemies as possible, using the archway going into that area as a chokepoint. When you set the EMP, there will be a final counterattack - i took cover behind a pillar on the right (looking back towards the starting area), and finally ordered all the other units to advance to my location. I was able to hold off the attackers long enough until the EMP was set. Chewed through 5 strike teams to beat it though :)

I managed to beat it after looking at an IGN video earlier, but I appreciate it. I was only left with one guy while I defended the EMP. It was intense, but I managed to make it.

I just beat the game. It was very, very gruesome. I loved the future missions but wasn't really a fan of the past missions, The enemies still aren't satisfying to kill after from playing games such as Max Payne 3. Maybe the next gen COD will improve on this. Next up is a Veteran run with different decisions. I will look at all the different branches to see what happens.

It's also time to give the MP a spin. It's been a while since I've played COD MP since BLOPS.

dark_chris

I just beat the game and
Woods and Mason died, Chloe died and I let Menendez go into custody
. What I sad ending I got! =( I'll probably replay campaign to get a happier ending.

Jack_AG

Banned
I feel like I'm the only one shooting down UAVs with rockets. No one does it, do people not understand how important it is to take down UAVs? Bah I hate random teams
No. You and I are the only ones shooting them down. You and I are also the only ones picking up tags in KC. You and I are also the only ones who grab enemy point A when we spawn 3 feet from it instead of running across the map to C/B which we already hold and are not being taken.

I swear kills/deaths should not be counted in anything but deathmatch type game.

"What's that? B going down? Fuck that I don't want to get shot!"

dark_chris

Same here. I feel like I'm the only one who goes after that. But, in my experience, its not just black ops 2. I've had my share with all Call of Duty games. There is a helicopter shredding us and no one is going after it but me. I call people out in my team for being stupid.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

While I tend to shoot a lot down, I am usually the only one mind, but sometimes for everyone shot down another pops up, whole matches can go this way making it a little pointless unless you just want the points. Also tends to make you a little vulnerable with the launcher out.

Has anyone noticed the strange positioning of UAV and Counter UAVs in BO2? They don't seem to ring a little bit outside of the map like in previous games and have a habit of flying much higher above the actual playing area, making aiming and taking them down more troublesome as sometimes you just can't aim at them at all as you are directly below them, can be a bit of a pain in the ass and has gotten me killed a few times, lol.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Cheap fuckers are just starting to watch the spawn points in TDM and snipe you as soon as you appear.

Also the Black Box thingy would be awesome if could actually look into the sky with it. Apparently that not something ELITE soldiers can do.

Jhoan

I just beat the game and
Woods and Mason died, Chloe died and I let Menendez go into custody
. What I sad ending I got! =( I'll probably replay campaign to get a happier ending.

I got the same exact ending. But hey at least the
twist where he burns himself on his sister's grave
was nice. Did you
kill Harper or shot Menendez in the Yemen mission? I shot Menendez because Harper is a bro.

I don't know where all the SMG whining is coming from. I see a great mix of weapons in TDM.

I feel like this might be the most balanced COD yet.

njean777

The lag comp in this game just really disappoints me. I cannot even break even most of the time. Mw3 was never this bad, I felt it sometimes, but not like this.

eek5

I forget when it is unlocked. Maybe i'll hit the 27 or another full-auto since I'm not running 99% of the time ghost is useless. I'd rather take out a UAV with a PDA instead of using ghost.

I dig tactical options but I rather like being able to disable enemy tech vs shock, stun, flash, etc. Maybe i'll keep my PDA.

Vector is level 16. I definitely wouldn't use an unlock token on that. I went to level 10 yesterday in one Demolition match. So without double XP it'd take like 6 matches max probably to get to 16

Xux

I don't know where all the SMG whining is coming from. I see a great mix of weapons in TDM.

I feel like this might be the most balanced COD yet.
SMGs, and their relationship to the other guns, seem identical to how they were in the last few CODs.

Jhoan

The
Corpis Die Rock performance after the credits
came out of left field. That was pretty funny. By way, this game's menu sucks so much; it's so basic. BLOPS' menu is probably one of the best menus I've seen this gen and out of the entire COD series.

Are there any collectibles to get during the Campaign like the other COD's? I felt like I was missing something in every mission and combed over places.

Top Bottom