• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Makoto

Is it just me or are SMGs super beastly? They seem way better than ARs to me
They are better than assault rifles. Anyone using assault rifles is willingly putting themselves at a disadvantage. While the counter-argument to SMGs may be that they're only good at close to mid range, the thing is, there's not a whole lot of long range in Black Ops 2 and even when there is, it's remarkably easy to manipulate your positioning on the map so that you can turn a long range fight into a close range fight. In that respect, Black Ops 2 is no different than previous CoD games.

Kyoufu

SMGs man... SMGs.

I feel like I'm gimping myself by using an Assault Rifle when there's a whole team of crackheads with SMGs coming at me from all angles.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The write is David S. Goyer and here are some of the things he wrote:

Blade (1998)
Dark City (1998 film)
Blade II (2002)
Blade: Trinity (2004)
Batman Begins (2005)
The Dark Knight (2008) story
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) story
Man of Steel (2013)
Godzilla (2014)

The writing was still pretty terrible.

While the netcode is sometimes irritating (when you're not near the host you can certainly tell who is), and I think the starting assault rifles should be a little better, I think this game is pretty great.

It feels very balanced, and I love the degree to which they've truly dampened the ability to just sit in corners and avoid the radar. It's a far less viable strategy in this game than any previous COD.

I'm going to have a very hard time deciding which gun to keep where I prestige this weekend. I like a lot of them.

This is some low-res BS right here...

6a4bd1ddee992be657bd0dcafdf6271b6dee478f.png

fuenf

Well then we need to test all 3. Without the patch, the 1st patch, and the new one.

Im not seeing a change. Just like before, deleting this new 1.03 update makes everything clearer and sharper.

Yeah but especially on Aftermath the Firetrucks for example were absolutely horrendous with 1.02.I think, here's still some motion blur when you are running around but once you stand still things clear up fast imo and there's more aliasing noticeable.

KingKong

Also, maybe its because I havent played in a while, but man it takes a lot more bullets to kill someone than I remember

maybe its because I've been playing so much CS:GO where people die in like 1-3 bullets

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Campaign proper done and dusted. I need to write a review, but overall thoughts:

PROS:
- Loved the more open battlefield design.
- Far greater sense of scale to conflicts and encounters.
- More emphasis on letting you actually deal with encounters versus horrific over scripting that plagued MW2/MW3.
- Back to ye ol massive unit numbers ala original Call of Duty.
- Fast pacing. Kept you moving through locations and encounters quickly, making for interesting flow of levels.
- The dash of various controllable drones and gimmicks was mostly cool.
- THE NUMBERS MASON.
- Probably the best weapon and effect sound design in the entire series. Guns sounded fantastic.
- The choice aspect was simple but I quite liked it. Wasn't invasive or silly.
- I get the feeling Treyarch really did legitimately want to give the series an overhaul, trying some new things that stray quite far from the very safe and traditional formula the series has followed this entire generation. It's still Call of Duty and not everything works (see strike missions), and I still think they could go further, but the promise for something a bit different is there.

CONS:
- Story was a total mess and pretty poorly told.
- Some fuck off encounter moments where the designers felt it necessary to stick two or more RPG dudes around a corner that instant fire the moment they see you. Definitively trial and error at times, and that should never be encouraged.
- Hated the jet sequence.
- Graphically the game ranged from quite nice to holy shit what the fuck. Like, at times, this was full on Call of Duty 2 level of dated shit. I blame Treyarch's decision to make the battlegrounds larger, longer, and heaver in combatants, while targeting current generation platform limitations. It's a trade off I'm okay with, given how much I enjoyed the gameplay, but it definitely made a huge impact on the graphics, and it's quite startling going from the technically middling though impressive and abundant assets, and attention to detail, in most of the series so far. Some areas of the game looked borderline PS2 level flat-lit lighting with dog shit textures and bad geometry. It was legitimately surprised at how bad some parts of the game looked, especially compared to how good other parts looked.
- Strike missions were pretty poor. I liked the adrenalin rush they gave, but I felt the whole overhead map semi-RTS aspect was poorly handled. I thought it was clumsy to control and poorly conceived. Directing units in first person worked much better, and I felt it was easier to just do the work myself while the AI acted as meat shields and extra offensive, just like any normal single player level.

FAL with select fire is super duper ridiculous. If you don't want to have to use an smg, use that shit. It puts people down fast. Accuracy amazing.

I'm near the end of the SP now.

If this game was just set in 2025 it would be awesome and near the best of the series (2, COD4, MW2) but the flashback scenes are all dull and really ruining the experience. It's a shame.

Time for some Double XP I think!

Fantasmo

Don't thank them until they fix netcode and spawns. Blur was the last of my worries.

This is my last CoD game, my last lag compensation game, and I won't buy any competitive games until I get to play the multiplayer beforehand. This series has not been good since Modern Warfare 2 and it won't until they get rid of built in Theatre mode and lag compensation. Consoles, especially seven year old ones, are not made for this. P2P is not made for this. Lag compensation is not made for this. "Best" does not work. I bought a $60 coaster. All this whizbang crap going on and I can't do the single most important thing this game is designed to do that games did from 1993 to the mid 2000s. Shoot a target.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I take it back, this COD is still as reliant on killstreaks and spawn camping as all the others that came before. Fun levels diminishing.

Sethos

Banned
Okay this is going to sound crazy and just like pure whinging but am I the only one who feels like the unluckiest guy in the entire world whenever I play this damn game? I mean, I'm by no means a bad player and I do get my fair share of kills but every. single. thing is always followed by bucket loads of bad luck.

EVERY CQB encounter always ends up with the other guy winning because he was in a favourable position or had a better weapon, I can look at a fucking door for 6 hours and the SECOND I turn around, someone appears at the door and shoots me. I can look at some window for half a day, a guy appears and despite I have a rifle and get hit markers on him in hardcore HE KILLS ME! A room with 2-3 guys covering a bomb site or something like that, the lone enemy rushing will ALWAYS kill me first and the other guys will get him despite being in the most unfavourable position for him, he then GOES for me.

When we're 4 v one guy left, he just KNOWS where I am but when looking at spectator mode from every other guy he wanders around aimlessly like he never played the fucking game in his life and they can basically walk up in punch him in the face.

Whenever I look at another player in spectator they get so many kills handed to them, people don't see them etc. but me? They see me, always. I can have my ghost, cold blooded and the whole 9 yards but people always seem to know where I am and ALWAYS shoot me in the back :|

WHY CAN'T I HAVE SOME LUCK?!

Mileena

Banned
You mean best map?
one of my favorites of the series after all of COD4's and Terminal, Sub Base from MW2.

running around gets me shot in the back
picking spots and moving around cautiously gets me shot in the back

I don't get how to get higher streaks on it, it's fucking annoying

Jack_AG

Banned
Sure but at least it shows that they care about the game community. I'm currently giving them the benefit of the doubt on the spawn issues. Spawns have been a clusterfuck in every CoD during launch, once people stop running around like a headless chicken, they should get better fast.
How is spawning in front of an enemy, in a Lightning Strike, on a grenade/betty/semtex, etc - "running around"?

And if you are moving and an enemy spawns behind you - how is that a headless chicken?

Am I supposed to stand still in this game?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
If Treyarch would only add a playlist that turned off killstreaks I'd be in heaven. The gunplay is really fun and feels good, but everything else about the COD formula is starting to grate on me.

mxgt

Banned
EVERY CQB encounter always ends up with the other guy winning because he was in a favourable position or had a better weapon, I can look at a fucking door for 6 hours and the SECOND I turn around, someone appears at the door and shoots me. I can look at some window for half a day, a guy appears and despite I have a rifle and get hit markers on him in hardcore HE KILLS ME! A room with 2-3 guys covering a bomb site or something like that, the lone enemy rushing will ALWAYS kill me first and the other guys will get him despite being in the most unfavourable position for him, he then GOES for me.

haha I feel the exact same when playing COD

Choice of right or left. Go left, get shot from right and vice versa.

Or when you hear lightning or hunter is incoming. "That's going to land on me". And it does.

I'm seeing more people using SMG's than I've ever saw in MW and MW2. Even though those games had a beastly SMG in the MP5 and UMP, but people still were using a variety of other weapons that were effective.

Yup SMG's are everywhere.

I use them and I don't blame people for doing it, they're insanely good. Especially from the hip. Bad players can just add laser and spray and pray for kills which is a shame really.

I don't use AR's that often because aside from the FAL SMG's seem better suited to almost every map

Fantasmo

How is spawning in front of an enemy, in a Lightning Strike, on a grenade/betty/semtex, etc - "running around"?

And if you are moving and an enemy spawns behind you - how is that a headless chicken?

Am I supposed to stand still in this game?

You can't because Ghost is broken and UAVs are always up. You may as well, though.

U2NUMB

Okay this is going to sound crazy and just like pure whinging but am I the only one who feels like the unluckiest guy in the entire world whenever I play this damn game? I mean, I'm by no means a bad player and I do get my fair share of kills but every. single. thing is always followed by bucket loads of bad luck.

It is not just you... this game evens out even very good players and it does that by using a heaping pile of bull shit. This is why COD 4 was the best ever.. simple .. all about gunplay and actual skills. It is really sad what now is considered a COD game. Half or more of my deaths each game make me nearly rage and that was never the case back in Cod4 or WaW days.

Yeah but especially on Aftermath the Firetrucks for example were absolutely horrendous with 1.02.I think, here's still some motion blur when you are running around but once you stand still things clear up fast imo and there's more aliasing noticeable.

Then this is not really a fix when the game looks so much without the patch. It's crazy. The amount of clarity without the patch is astounding. Why can't they just remove whatever is causing the blurry look completely?

So, i still stand by saying that this needs a fix.

Sethos

Banned
Video uploading is rubbish.

Takes forever to render even the shortest clips. They take millions of years to appear on Elite, I linked my YT account to elite and tried uploading a 13 second clip - Still nothing on Elite after 5 hours and it's on YT but only as a 2 second clip.

CoD4 MP5 and P90
MW2 UMP
Blops 74u

come on man

I'm talking about as a go to weapon for most people. There's nothing wrong with having a good SMG or two but for it to be the prime weapon of choice is the problem I'm seeing with this game. You can run around with the UMP in MW2, that's fine but you're going to get wrecked in mid to long ranged maps. The funny thing is that in MW2 people didn't even have to worry as much about UAV's because were hell bent on going after the high kill streaks. lmao

Mileena

Banned
I'm talking about as a go to weapon for most people. There's nothing wrong with having a good SMG or two but for it to be the prime weapon of choice is the problem I'm seeing with this game. You can run around with the UMP in MW2, that's fine but you're going to get wrecked in mid to long ranged maps. The funny thing is that in MW2 people didn't even have to worry as much about UAV's because were hell bent on going after the high kill streaks. lmao

You're wrong. Anyone who is good ran around with the UMP and wrecked shit. It was good long range assuming you have a damn brain and can control what little recoil there was. Nice try though.

eek5

I think the biggest difference now is that the ARs are pretty garbage. Every COD has had really OP SMGs though

Madtown_

You're wrong. Anyone who is good ran around with the UMP and wrecked shit. It was good long range assuming you have a damn brain and can control what little recoil there was. Nice try though.

But it wasn't that good in short range, at least compared to the other smg's with stopping power. And it wasn't all that good long range either compared to some of the dominant AR's.

The part about the UMP not even "being close" to the best SMG is pretty hilariously ignorant too. It was an absurd gun.

With stopping power, yes. You can ignore the numbers, the stats of the guns, but what I said wasn't trolling. The mp5k dominated the ump in close range situations when both were using stopping power.

Not against a good team that have good map control you're not.
I think the biggest difference now is that the ARs are pretty garbage. Every COD has had really OP SMGs though

I've never said that previous CODs didn't have good SMGs. My point is that in this game you're at a disadvantage if you're not wielding one.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

When we're 4 v one guy left, he just KNOWS where I am but when looking at spectator mode from every other guy he wanders around aimlessly like he never played the fucking guy in his life and they can basically walk up in punch him in the face.

Whenever I look at another player in spectator they get so many kills handed to them, people don't see them etc. but me? They see me, always. I can have my ghost, cold blooded and the whole 9 yards but people always seem to know where I am and ALWAYS shoot me in the back :|

At least you seemingly have a good K/D ratio, you should see me, awful awful luck.

When myself and 3 friends are in the same room on different TVs, watching their screens and all their kills I must look like I am painted bright pink while waving a flag around in the air the number of times I would get killed on MW3.

Were getting together next week to BO2 it together, I'm hoping we get some sort of patch by then otherwise I imagine it isn't going to go well.

Top Bottom