• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

RS4-

Am I missing something on chapter 3. When I'm on horseback when the russians attack, why can't I fucking get passed the first 10 seconds. I just die immediately on Vet.

edit - nm, after a dozen or so times I finally make it through without randomly getting shot at.

Just started to play MP for the first time. Wow this is unforgiving. Haven't managed a 1.0 k/dr yet. Seems to be an SMG fest. ARs and LMGs feel useless when every gun fight is fought at 10 yards.

Jack_AG

Banned
I think BlOP2 is the most infuriating game I've ever played. The hit-detection is fucking horrendous and the maps are entirely too small and some are poorly designed. I'll just stick with BF3/4 and BFBC for my military FPS needs. Zombies mode was just ok, I was expecting more but I guess that was my mistake.
Oh please tell me you were there for BF3s horrendous hit detection for a good long while after launch, lol. There are still some very damning issues like framerate on consoles, sound ALWAYS cuts off so you can never hear a damn thing, "enemy has set a/b" is always late or is never played - leaving you to watch the map all the time to see if the bases are flashing if you are on defense, navigating menus is like swimming through tar, kit selection when downed - someone revives you - you are back up but the menu UI stays up on screen and can't be turned off...

My personal favorite - swapping kits and spawning without a weapon for 5 seconds. Gotta love spawning on your team with nothing to shoot in a firefight.

Netcode is only a tad better. BO2 has its issues, yes, but the BF3 issues have been there since launch and are still there today. Not to mention they were present in BC, just not as often. In terms of issues - BO2 has fewer. Netcode is game-breaking.

Dice and BF are off my list and anything with "Frostbite". If BO2 doesn't get fixed. Treyarch and COD are off my list, too. I'll go to CS until Valve does something stupid.

Sethos

Banned
There was a patch which improved it - but barely. I still plug people with entire clips and watch them run away ha!

It is probably the worst console tech next to Skyrim. I mean who thought 15-20fps in firefights was OK?

Was thinking the PC version, the client side hit detection is just an atrocity. Playing on a local dedicated server with a ping of 10 and seeing the same BS you do in a client-hosted CoD game is just laughable.

FStop7

Banned
This is my hot combo for Domination:

FAL + Select Fire + Target Finder
1x Shocker
1x Betty
Wildcard: Perk 1 Greed
Perk 1: Lightweight, Hardline
Perk 2: Toughness
Perk 3: Extreme Conditioning

Scorestreaks: UAV, Guardian, Sentry Gun

With hardline it's easy to get those scorestreak rewards. If you stack a guardian and a sentry gun next to each other at a capture or choke point then you can rack up the kills and assists like crazy. The guardian bogs them down and the sentry picks them off. I leave the shocker and betty to cover the rear of the guardian/sentry duo or sometimes I'll do it myself.

Just started to play MP for the first time. Wow this is unforgiving. Haven't managed a 1.0 k/dr yet. Seems to be an SMG fest. ARs and LMGs feel useless when every gun fight is fought at 10 yards.

Takes time but when you get used to the maps and the corners, you will start getting the hang of it.

Just keep playing, as much as frustrating it is, the only way to excel is practice.

Jack_AG

Banned
Was thinking the PC version, the client side hit detection is just an atrocity. Playing on a local dedicated server with a ping of 10 and seeing the same BS you do in a client-hosted CoD game is just laughable.
Sadly I play shooters on consoles for friends despite building a gaming rig last year. I played Skyrim on my PC but heard enough about it from friends on PS3 ha!

.nimrod

7vRyK.png

Thank god, i only got shit matches today with lots of instadeath

Cmagus

Anyone having an problem with

The cordis die mission where you need to drive to rescue the president? I seem to fail it almost every single time when I make it to the downtown sign no matter what I try or do it says I failed to protect the president. I have watched countless videos and I don't get it its a straight driving scene.

Cmagus

Anyone having an problem with

The cordis die mission where you need to drive to rescue the president? I seem to fail it almost every single time when I make it to the downtown sign no matter what I try or do it says I failed to protect the president. I have watched countless videos and I don't get it its a straight driving scene.

Bah apparently you need to restart the mission it is a bug

Magik

Its a SMG fest because the maps are too small. The maps being too small throws off the spawns because people are everywhere and the game just spawns where ever it can.

One tweak Treyarch should definitely consider is reducing the fire-rate of the SMGs so ARs can stand a better chance as well.

LMGs are a lost cause at this point. When was the last time LMGs were useful? RPD from CoD4?

mxgt

Banned

Yeah SMG's are everywhere but AR's aren't totally useless

The FAL is a beast, especially with select fire. I always go positive with it.

Desaan

The movement penalties and ADS time with the LMG's are just too much. I tried using the LSAT and it usually ended with me getting SMG sprayed before I could even raise my gun. They should of done more to encourage different gun play styles.

SJRB

Gold Member
I heard there's a double XP weekend going on, but only for people with the Nuketown 2025 maps? Is this true?

Thanks for the quick reply. That is fucked up though, I don't have Nuketown. What a weird thing to do.

Are you sure? It looked like it came with most of the early copies of the game. It's not advertised all that great, just a line of text on the back of the box and a small sleeve in the game. I actually looked over it myself until I was reminded by the XP weekend.

fuenf

Seeing the yellow bar guys sit a top of the leaderboards is so frustrating. It's always the same: join server on the losing side, half the players in the enemy team have a bad connection, lose, leave server, repeat. But why is it still fun? :(

I think P2P gaming just doesnt cut it anymore, now that most players are on a shared (wireless) connection and thus the connection quality / speed constantly varies.

zychi

Banned
If you want to beast in BLOPS 2 here's what you do: Fuck your connection up so you get a red bar, have seventeen P2P programs running, laugh as nobody can hit you and you mow everyone down due to lag compensation.

Like I've said before, those console devs, too much time smoking crack.

I have literally been letting itunes match or steam download a game while I play, in order to balance the lag compensation for myself. Having the best connection and being at a disadvantage is ridiculous, and I hope this is fixed before Thanksgiving weekend.

fuenf

I have literally been letting itunes match or steam download a game while I play in order to balance the lag compensation for myself. Having the best connection and being at a disadvantage is ridiculous, and I hope this is fixed before Thanksgiving weekend.

I dont understand the logic behind lag compensation, i mean it's the players fault if they are on are bad connection. And it's something any player can fix for himself, with lag compensation however, those who are on a good connection are punished and there's nothing they can do about it. I'm sick of people running through the maps like they are Neo in the Matrix.

SJRB

Gold Member
Are you sure? It looked like it came with most of the early copies of the game. It's not advertised all that great, just a line of text on the back of the box and a small sleeve in the game. I actually looked over it myself until I was reminded by the XP weekend.

I just double-checked, no line on the box and nothing besides the game manual inside the box.

Tough luck I suppose. Still think that restricting double XP weekends to certain groups of users is silly.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
It is a little lame that Elite doesn't seemingly have anything to do for BO2 yet, no challenges, clan ops or whatever. Considering Elite was suppose to be a bigger part of BO2 compared to MW3 I was hoping they would have things to do by now.

Thanks for the quick reply. That is fucked up though, I don't have Nuketown. What a weird thing to do.

I think it is suppose to be a plus for those that pre-ordered it.

Except that some shops had Nuketown copies regardless of pre-ordering or not and some shops that people did pre-order from didn't get Nuketown copies in the end.

zychi

Banned
I dont understand the logic behind lag compensation, i mean it's the players fault if they are on are bad connection. And it's something any player can fix for himself, with lag compensation however, those who are on a good connection are punished and there's nothing they can do about it. I'm sick of people running through the maps like they are Neo in the Matrix.

This will be the last time I complain about this, because I feel like I've been doing it a lot since release, but why are we paying $60 a year for xbox live again? Why doesn't Activision have dedicated servers? Battlefield has them, how hard can it be to allow players to play on a server when your product is making 500 million the day of release?

At the very least let the user base pay to rent a server.

aku:jiki

AUG in MW2.
Nah, man, beaten out by the RPD. Very similar handling but RPD has higher damage and the gigantic magazine. The AUG was just an assault rifle that made you slow.

This will be the last time I complain about this, because I feel like I've been doing it a lot since release, but why are we paying $60 a year for xbox live again? Why doesn't Activision have dedicated servers? Battlefield has them, how hard can it be to allow players to play on a server when your product is making 500 million the day of release?

Dedicated servers can't fix busted netcode.

spk

7vRyK.png

Thank god, i only got shit matches today with lots of instadeath

How is it a matchmaking issue? It happens in every server under any condition. If matchmaking is pairing with suboptimal servers then they should let us see numerical pings, this makes the bars sound even more useless than they currently are. I really doubt it'll get fixed, at least until they give more information.

I have literally been letting itunes match or steam download a game while I play, in order to balance the lag compensation for myself. Having the best connection and being at a disadvantage is ridiculous, and I hope this is fixed before Thanksgiving weekend.

This is true. I do much better when I have Netflix streaming simultaneously.

Ardenyal

Seeing the yellow bar guys sit a top of the leaderboards is so frustrating. It's always the same: join server on the losing side, half the players in the enemy team have a bad connection, lose, leave server, repeat. But why is it still fun? :(

I think P2P gaming just doesnt cut it anymore, now that most players are on a shared (wireless) connection and thus the connection quality / speed constantly varies.

Wireless connections aren't even the worst offenders. I know a few people playing on a 3G connection.

I wish devs would bring back kicking players with a ping that is too high.

fuenf

Yeah but it's not like Battlefield is any better when it comes to lag. I dont get what's wrong with online gaming on consoles, i thought this shit was figured out a long time ago. :(

zychi

Banned
Nah, man, beaten out by the RPD. Very similar handling but RPD has higher damage and the gigantic magazine. The AUG was just an assault rifle that made you slow.

Dedicated servers can't fix busted netcode.

It worked for Gears 3 didn't? Or did Epic change something from 1 to 2 to 3? Because 1 was "host advantage." 2 was shit. 3 had dedicated servers for a limited time(s) and was excellent during those periods, now it's setup like 1.

Sethos

Banned
How is it a matchmaking issue? It happens in every server under any condition. If matchmaking is pairing with suboptimal servers then they should let us see numerical pings, this makes the bars sound even more useless than they currently are. I really doubt it'll get fixed, at least until they give more information.

Because matchmaking teams you up willy nilly with people all over the place, no sense or direction for connection speeds or quality. In previous Call of Duty games I'd be playing with Danes and Swedes all day long - I haven't met a single damn Dane in the game yet. Constantly teamed up with people 3-4 countries over - Even damn Americans!

So lag compensation will be toned down a lot when you play with people in your vicinity, among one of the changes they can / should make.

Top Bottom