• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Sethos

Banned
Hey anyone know how to upload videos? I edited + saved one. But then what do I do?

Load the edited film in theater mode, then hit the "render" button. After that it should appear on Elite / Linked YT account.

Note it's working like shit at the moment. I've seen errors during rendering, the uploaded result only being 2 seconds long etc.

MutFox

Banned
I got the original Back Ops on PC at launch...
There were a lot of issues at launch for that game.

Any competitive PC multiplayer people here that can say if it's good or wait?

spk

Because matchmaking teams you up willy nilly with people all over the place, no sense or direction for connection speeds or quality. In previous Call of Duty games I'd be playing with Danes and Swedes all day long - I haven't met a single damn Dane in the game yet. Constantly teamed up with people 3-4 countries over - Even damn Americans!

So lag compensation will be toned down a lot when you play with people in your vicinity, among one of the changes they can / should make.

So is it like Valve games 12 years ago when one players high ping affected the whole game? lol If you're connecting to dedicated servers in the right region and you ping well why should other players ping be detrimental to your experience (not counting extreme cases)? I don't understand why it's handled this way

fuenf

Wireless connections aren't even the worst offenders. I know a few people playing on a 3G connection.

I wish devs would bring back kicking players with a ping that is too high.

True wireless connection are fine, I tested mine and my ping is around 20ms when I'm on WLAN. I just meant that wireless networks are the standard now and that most players dont even know, what there friends / roomamtes /family are doing on the same connection. I mean, you could have the perfect connection, start playing the game and 10minutes in somebody on your networks starts streaming a movie....

zychi

Banned
So is it like Valve games 12 years ago when one players high ping affected the whole game? lol If you're connecting to dedicated servers in the right region and you ping well why should other players ping be detrimental to your experience (not counting extreme cases)? I don't understand why it's handled this way

because the company making the game is pushing it out as quickly as possible, while being as cheap as they can with the product.

Deadbeat

Banned
This will be the last time I complain about this, because I feel like I've been doing it a lot since release, but why are we paying $60 a year for xbox live again? Why doesn't Activision have dedicated servers? Battlefield has them, how hard can it be to allow players to play on a server when your product is making 500 million the day of release?

At the very least let the user base pay to rent a server.
I dont know why you would be excited if the console versions have dedicated servers. They can just make the settings incredibly poor to throw a bunch of games on one piece of hardware and you are back to square one. Its what blops 2 is like on PC right now.

Sethos

Banned

Well, yes and no. It doesn't drag down the entire session with lag but the entire thing works just like ( or it IS ) client side hit detection. Instead of server deciding which bullet kills, it's the clients that does it.

So you're on a shit connection, you see a guy and shoot straight at him - You basically tell the server "I killed him", the servers says "Alright" and no matter where the hell he is, he'll die. On his screen, he can be behind a wall and warp back 5ft and die because that's where the server registered you as dead. So it compensates you for having a shit connection.

However on the other end, people with the best connections aren't getting proper up-2-date information on the players position and they are usually milliseconds behind, meaning when you see a guy JUST coming around the corner he has already seen you and is firing, which ends in those fucked up death moments.

Client side hit detection is the work of Satan and is used for 2 reasons: caters for people with shit connections and puts less strain on the server(s). However it's becoming the industry standard in most games. Also the reason why even PC games with fancy dedicated connections and whatnot suffer from this crap.

I got the original Back Ops on PC at launch...
There were a lot of issues at launch for that game.

Any competitive PC multiplayer people here that can say if it's good or wait?

Performance wise it works fine. I've got 20+ hours in multiplayer and only twice have I had any kind of issue and they were both very minor things. The one knock I might give it is the number of people playing is as much as I expected, but that might just be me making false assumptions. The lag compensation is an issue on PC just like everywhere else.

because the company making the game is pushing it out as quickly as possible, while being as cheap as they can with the product.

Couldn't agree more with COD.

Since COD4, there hasn't been one that has given me that WOW! factor.

I guess you just don't see games that does within a franchise in the same generation.

Guys I haven't been in the thread at all because I was finishing up Halo but I am picking this up for PS3(I know I know my whole damn possy only has it) What should I expect?

zychi

Banned
I dont know why you would be excited if the console versions have dedicated servers. They can just make the settings incredibly poor to throw a bunch of games on one piece of hardware and you are back to square one. Its what blops 2 is like on PC right now.

because my limited experience with dedicated servers on 360 have been great. namely bf3 and gears 3.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Because matchmaking teams you up willy nilly with people all over the place, no sense or direction for connection speeds or quality. In previous Call of Duty games I'd be playing with Danes and Swedes all day long - I haven't met a single damn Dane in the game yet. Constantly teamed up with people 3-4 countries over - Even damn Americans!

So lag compensation will be toned down a lot when you play with people in your vicinity, among one of the changes they can / should make.

I've been teamed up with Americans and Canadians a number of times, they aren't great games, maybe it is my fault for playing at 1am but it can get stupid sometimes.

Though Americans all seem to have their mic on when they aren't in parties, which is amusing seeing as I rarely ever come across someone on Live from the UK who has it on when not with friends, almost makes the lag worth it to hear them rage when you kill them.

Load the edited film in theater mode, then hit the "render" button. After that it should appear on Elite / Linked YT account.

Note it's working like shit at the moment. I've seen errors during rendering, the uploaded result only being 2 seconds long etc.
ah yeah I did this yesterday but was wondering if there was another way. When I was rendering it froze halfway through. As in the game froze :|

What should I expect?
call of duty!

Guys I haven't been in the thread at all because I was finishing up Halo but I am picking this up for PS3(I know I know my whole damn possy only has it) What should I expect?

Matchmaking issues and lag for multiplayer.

I haven't played single player or zombies to comment on it.

Sethos

Banned
I've been teamed up with Americans and Canadians a number of times, they aren't great games, maybe it is my fault for playing at 1am but it can get stupid sometimes.

Though Americans all seem to have their mic on when they aren't in parties, which is amusing seeing as I rarely ever come across someone on Live from the UK who has it on when not with friends, almost makes the lag worth it to hear them rage when you kill them.

I do love the social aspect of playing with Americans and her majesties slaves, they are always so talkative. Americans tend to be funny and fairly friendly but anyone from the UK always talk shit, put each other down and belittle everyone :p

But honestly I'd rather want a solid experience without all that lag compensation.

This game is so terrible without ghost. I have five levels to go and I don't think I'm going to be able to suffer through them.

Rockets aren't even useful, look in the sky and 9 times out of 10 I just feed the next guy one more kill towards his uav.

How do I know I`m getting doubleEXP? I have nuketown downloaded but it doesnt feel like im getting dubxp

I don't think there is a way to tell unless you do sums before/after a match.

I'm ranking up every ground war match, so I guess I'm getting it.

Unrelated: I wish people would actually capture points on domination. Wtf.

Matchmaking for Kill Confirmed on PC seems to be rubbish tonight (for me). I've been punted into a fair few 3v3 matches and no-one else joins. :-/

U2NUMB

My word the glitches in this game.. playing through Campaign I ran into 3 on oen mission. Funny enough to record each one.

Russian's Ran (Click) - My favorite of the glitches..

Woods as a Statue (Click) - Love the very end of this when he floats on down the road for no reason.

Zadran Hates Walls (Click) - Typical stupid AI but this guy never even bothered to shoot when the enemy was near by. Would have gone on forever..

Anyone else have glitches like this happen all over the campaign?

Desaan

Idiotically, the default matchmaking parameters are not set to best so you get a widespread player base resulting in dodgy hosts and multi country participants. That's where quite a few issues are coming from, that I can see anyway.

Multiplayer has a Modern Warfare 2 feel: I love it. And for some reason I've been getting 2:1 kill ratios a lot on PC, when I usually have a 0.5-1.0 KDR. Lots of rookies on PC this time?

Played a few campaign missions the
Noriega/Menedez one
was great

Let's not beat about the bush guys.....its fucked!! No way are treyarch bothered about fixing the game at the minute there busy milking all the rewards of releasing a broken game.

PC gamers, do yourself a favour and turn that damn v-sync off ....

I thought I just plain sucked and had lost it, but I simply forgot Treyarch love leaving that turned on by default, once off I was kicking arse just load old times. The delay it puts on aiming is tragic :(

DoomGyver

I'm someone who typically doesn't put much value on kdr-but I'm with you here-if your general performance after days of playing just continues to hit a fucking brick wall-what's the point? There's no fun to be had....

I'm not the best player, but I hold my own. I was at about a 1.20 kdr, then friday i was down to 1.15 and now I'm on 1.08. Sure part of that was because I was experimenting with different builds, but I can't seem to feel any flow with the maps. I think the best way to explain it would be scrambled. There is always someone there to shoot you in the back, and there is always a teammate there to give you an assist point.

Scrambled.

Combined with the fact that every aspect of multiplayer was pedigreed for the SMG rusher. The maps are large but with plenty of trash set in the middle to limit the sight lines. Ghost was changed to benefit the SMG user.

SnD isn't the same. Very little to no stealth. I'm about ready to give it a break until the patch comes out.

njean777

This game is FILLED with 12 yearold cry babies. (Im on PC)

Just had a guy ON MY OWN TEAM call me a noob for using the shotty

Yeah ever since feeling the horrible lag compensation on this game I decided to take up a shotgun and just fuck around. I must say it really pisses people off and gives me joy to hear it.

I'm not the best player, but I hold my own. I was at about a 1.20 kdr, then friday i was down to 1.15 and now I'm on 1.08. Sure part of that was because I was experimenting with different builds, but I can't seem to feel any flow with the maps. I think the best way to explain it would be scrambled. There is always someone there to shoot you in the back, and there is always a teammate there to give you an assist point.

Scrambled.

Combined with the fact that every aspect of multiplayer was pedigreed for the SMG rusher. The maps are large but with plenty of trash set in the middle to limit the sight lines. Ghost was changed to benefit the SMG user.

SnD isn't the same. Very little to no stealth. I'm about ready to give it a break until the patch comes out.

I've decided to do the same. It kills me-because I really wanted this to scratch an itch, and I keep fooling myself into thinking it will get better-but I'm better off without the added stress.

mxgt

Banned
This game is FILLED with 12 yearold cry babies. (Im on PC)

Just had a guy ON MY OWN TEAM call me a noob for using the shotty

Yup, people hate the shotgun.

Had a game where a guy whined every time I killed him with one. I just find it hilarious.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Im liking the maps much more than MW3. Hated MW3 maps. These aren't as good as the maps of yore, but still better than MW3. The only ones I cant stand are Yacht, Express? (Train depot) and Carrier. Those suck hard. The others dont bother me and I really like Drone and the little cobblestone village.

Top Bottom