• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Biff

Acitivision every year gets away like bandits. The products get worse and yet they make more money with each iteration. Mind boggling.

I'm quite proud of myself for resisting.

Black Ops 1 on PS3 was the worst gaming experience I have had this generation bar none. The launch was atrocious and it's clear now that Treyarch was never reprimanded for their terrible quality control.

They are a horrendous developer who became successful riding the coat tails of Infinity Ward. Missing my sale won't make an ounce of difference to them, but at least I am not frustrated to shit right now.

I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again: Fuck Treyarch.

The Chef

Havent checked in on this thread in a while.
Is multiplayer on ps3 fine? Someone mentioned framerate or something a while back being just terrible. I literally do not give a rats ass about the campaign.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I do love the social aspect of playing with Americans and her majesties slaves, they are always so talkative. Americans tend to be funny and fairly friendly but anyone from the UK always talk shit, put each other down and belittle everyone :p

But honestly I'd rather want a solid experience without all that lag compensation.

Can't disagree with that, lol.
I've found Americans like everyone else really don't like getting killed but otherwise they are seemingly friendly most of the time, us lot in the UK are right potty mouths about everything and everyone

My kdr keeps going lower, and lower, and lower. I'm about done with this shit.

Mine has been slowly going up, but I have to be really quite overly careful with what I am doing, to the point of finishing a match with a low score but a high kdr.

Kyoufu

Is multiplayer on ps3 fine? Someone mentioned framerate or something a while back being just terrible. I literally do not give a rats ass about the campaign.

I'm on 2nd prestige now. Aside from the launch issue with matchmaking it has been fine.

fuenf

The framerate is fine, problems are lag compensation, freezes and blur. The blur got better with the latest patch, though and i have yet to experience a single freeze *knockonwood*.

Sticks and Stones must translate to "KNIFE EVERY FUCKING CHANCE YOU GET" in some new language. Trying to get a bloodthirsty medal for the crossbow, but fucking christ.

Raide

Has Treyarch made any public announcement regarding the sound of footsteps yet?

I thought it was a game design thing where everyone is silent, unless you have a specific perk? I am sure I heard that on some video review somewhere.

Sethos

Banned
I thought it was a game design thing where everyone is silent, unless you have a specific perk? I am sure I heard that on some video review somewhere.

No, there's a perk to make enemy footsteps louder but the default sound shouldn't be silent. There's also a perk that makes you completely silent ... Which is close to pointless.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
My short impressions: it's basically the same COD experience you're getting on the HD twins sans nuke town. There's hardly anyone online right now. As far as the nunchuck + wiimote controls go they're definitely definitive over the gamepad. I tried going online with co-op while one person was on the gamepad while the other was on the full screen but it didn't seem to work. Maybe I was doing something wrong but it didn't say how to do it in the digital manual provided for the game. Something that I absolutely love is being able to solely play on the gamepad with headphones. It makes late night zombie sessions even better. One irk I have is that you can only access the consoles home menu through the campaign portal of the game. If you try to do it on either the zombie or multiplayer portal it won't let you unfortunately, which is stupid.

Mileena

Banned
WHAT?! These are the worst S&D maps I've seen in the series so far ... Okay, MW3's was worse but not by much.

I haven't played them all yet because people seem to like voting for the same maps over and over but they seem better. I'm not comparing to other CoDs just that they were better than on Domination/Demolition

Of course this could change, I've only played a couple hours of Search

DeadNames

Banned
Wow....

Lag compensation. The worst design choice ever. Who thought it would be funny to penalize people for having good connections? I shoot at people then a couple seconds later I get hitmarkers. This game's core MP is so much better than that of the last few installments. Why ruin it with lag compensation?

----

Zombies feels gimped in this game. TranZit is fun at first, but is a massive pain in the ass. It's just too big. If you go down and the bus is leaving, you're screwed. Better luck next time! I feel like zombies was designed around TranZit. If you don't want to play TranZit or any of its maps, sorry! You're screwed! Unless you preordered the hardened edition of course. Then you can play Random Geometry™: The Map!

Sethos

Banned
I haven't played them all yet because people seem to like voting for the same maps over and over but they seem better. I'm not comparing to other CoDs just that they were better than on Domination/Demolition

Of course this could change, I've only played a couple hours of Search

Definitely give 'em some hours of play. I was also a bit blinded by the experience of a new game and not knowing the map layouts. When you learn the maps and the routes, you'll quickly see they are tiny with very little tactical gameplay and people clash and die within seconds. Plus you can't cover anything because every good spot to cover has 1-2 or even 3 angles where you can counter it. If you stand still for just a second you will be shot in spawn. They don't have that feeling of the old CoDs where the attacker spawn was 'sacred' or pointless to be in for the defenders and you know they were just honkering down at the other end. Now everywhere is just unsafe and the game ends within a minute, max 2.

They are rush maps, 100%.

No, there's a perk to make enemy footsteps louder but the default sound shouldn't be silent. There's also a perk that makes you completely silent ... Which is close to pointless.
I think I remember hearing this was an issue is BLOPs 1 too. So maybe this is a Treyarch thing?

eek5

Wow....

Lag compensation. The worst design choice ever. Who thought it would be funny to penalize people for having good connections? I shoot at people then a couple seconds later I get hitmarkers. This game's core MP is so much better than that of the last few installments. Why ruin it with lag compensation?
I was on the other end last night for the first time. 3 barring. Just shooting in the direction of a moving target w/o adjusting my aim and I get 4 hit markers and they die after they turn the corner. So that's why people's aim is so fucking good now lmao

I wish I could 3 bar all the time =\

I think I remember hearing this was an issue is BLOPs 1 too. So maybe this is a Treyarch thing?

It was quiet to start then they made it louder and decent. BO1 had a ton of bullshit environmental noise that sounded like footsteps though (stupid tarps blowing in the wind) which was terrible

While there are certainly problems with the game, I don't know what you're doing in those clips, man... The last death is some mystifying shit. You see a guy right in front of you and your reaction is to turn away, toss equipment down and shoot at air?
My teammate was just killed by an enemy coming in from the window. If you look at the radar he's still there. I was counting on him popping up. I threw down a trophy system to protect from shock charges or grenades.

spk

While there are certainly problems with the game, I don't know what you're doing in those clips, man... The last death is some mystifying shit. You see a guy right in front of you and your reaction is to turn away, toss equipment down and shoot at air?

That's part of the problem. Player POV differs from enemy POV, and it's displayed in the killcam. I've had that sort of thing happen plenty of times. I'll run past somewhere, get shot in the back, and see someone in plain sight on kill cam that I definitely didn't see while alive, or someone will chase after me from a direction that was empty when I passed it originally. Jump out a window, have the animation clear and you're back on foot, die, see kill cam where you're only just initiating the jump

Sethos

Banned
That's part of the problem. Player POV differs from enemy POV, and it's displayed in the killcam. I've had that sort of thing happen plenty of times. I'll run past somewhere, get shot in the back, and see someone in plain sight on kill cam that I definitely didn't see while alive, or someone will chase after me from a direction that was empty when I passed it originally

The killcam isn't a 1:1 representation, it's meant to be a loose outline of what happened. Never rely on what the killcam tells you - Bit like theater mode.

Desaan

I tried a few games equipping the Awareness perk, fucking useless, even with headphones. I have more chance of hearing my next door neighbour fart than hear a footstep in a Treyarch game.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Im liking the maps much more than MW3. Hated MW3 maps. These aren't as good as the maps of yore, but still better than MW3. The only ones I cant stand are Yacht, Express? (Train depot) and Carrier. Those suck hard. The others dont bother me and I really like Drone and the little cobblestone village.

I would take some of the MW3 maps over these, Aftermath especially, I really don't like that map, lol, all the action seems to happen at the 3 meeting points along the middle of the map.

spk

The killcam isn't a 1:1 representation, it's meant to be a loose outline of what happened. Never rely on what the killcam tells you - Bit like theater mode.

My point was that the game experience isn't being accurately presented (because of lag compensation), and kill cam seems to be proof of that? Even if there are bugs in killcam like say, HLTV, that at least mirrors both player and enemy actions in sync with one another. If it is just a loose outline of the events it needs to be more accurate, what's the point of even having it if what it shows is something that wasn't happening on your screen?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
AN-94 is so delicious.

Does Double XP end tonight at midnight?

Yea, I used my unlock token to get the AN-94, in the short time I used it at 55 before going prestige I was having some really nice luck with it. It was that or the M8A1 which I also really like but I when I get stuck in a terrible lag comp match I find it to be less useful.

As for Double XP, GMT wise I don't think it ends till mid day or something, they always go on much longer than I think they will.

Gorillaz

The amount of lag compensation in this game...no series....each year is insane.Why should people be punished for having a decent internet connection? This is the only series that punishes people for good connection lol.

On top of that the maps seem to be a big blob, no real landmarks or chokepoints, basically what was going on in MW3 except the maps look better on here. I spawned by the same guy I got killed by 3 times in a row. Assault rifles sad to say are useless right now, maybe with a patch down the road they will be able to hold their own but as of right now it's a joke.

Idk man....

I don't really like CoD4. It's an overly scripted bro-game with infinitely respawning enemies in way too many places. I think MW2 is WAY more of a bro-game, but I liked the rest of it much more. I don't know why. Maybe I had given in to the broness. Maybe I had become what I fought so hard to destroy. Maybe I just liked Burger Town.

I hated (HATED) Blops.

My rankings (excluding Blops2):

1. MW2
2. CoD2

~~~~ then it all becomes kinda mushy shit in terms of my opinion cause I don't care, but roughly

MW3
MW1
World at War
Blops
CoD3 (super shitty shit)

My order:
1. CoD2
2. MW1
3. MW2
4. MW3
5. CoD3
6. Blops

COD2 was the last great campaign. All the others were forgettable and thus ranked according to their multiplayer.

The jury is still out on Blops 2. Right now it's ranking right below MW3 but it's still early.

Kyoufu

Aside from the ridiculous SMGs I'm having a blast with this. Probably my 2nd favourite CoD this gen.

They should nerf the clip size of SMGs. They can hold that trigger forever it seems.

fozzy

Yeah I've changed my playing style for this game to keep the rage at bay.
Usually I'm an AR B Dom beast. But had to switch to smg from the hip, outskirts kinda player.

I'm perma unlocking Ghost next prestige.

Sad times indeed.

Card Boy

Banned
I Prestiged. One thing alot of people don't know is that you get 1 permanent unlock Token at each prestige level to unlock any gear you want (different from unlocking a create a class slot). So basically you can unlock Ghost forever, which is what i did. So no more having to grind to level 55.

Also one cool thing i noticed you don't lose your weapon levels or camos when you prestige this time.

First match i played on prestige i gained like 7 levels hahaha.

Makoto

I've felt I've wasted the prestige unlock token on Ghost. I've only used it a handful of times but it seems to be the biggest waste of a perk slot since I've been doing just fine without it.

LowParry

So after a good night's play, I can see where the SMG talk is coming from. They are pretty powerful. Though I stuck with the starter assault rifle. FAL is amazing at range. I've really enjoyed all the maps so far. A lot of ways of moving through area's though you really have to check those corners a lot. Netcode is a little strange though. The most noticeable thing about it is at melee when your knife attack whiffs right through someone when you're standing right next to them. There's also the few games where everyone has the full green bar for connections and yet people are skipping all over the place. Just needs a little tweaking. But when you get the games where everything is running smoothly, it's damn fun all around.

Like every COD game, it always has these starting issues where they get patched in to fix up and the game is amazing from there on. It's just the same with Halo 4 where there are a the complaints where I'm sure they will get patched in and fixed up.

Top Bottom