• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Except there's more than one mode in this game, they aren't all ADHD rush fests or at least, they're not supposed to be.

People say this as if there are no other choices when dealing with the UAV. You can shoot them down! You can EARN counter UAV's.

Those are proper solutions to the UAV. IMO ghost shouldn't even exist in this franchise, but at least now it cannot be abused in the worst ways.

Agree with the IR superiority, Tho i'm pretty sure it was High Voltage software who did the fully customizable IR (dead zone, sensitivity, ads reach) with Conduit.

Agreed, High Voltage deserves huge respect for them being the first to really go full on customization for the Wii Remote. As average/bad as The Conduit turned out, they definetly set the standard for customization.
Going back to 360 and PS3 games where at most you can change sensitivity and a selection of 4 or 5 button configs just feels archaic.

I just replayed a bit of RS2 because that also runs at 60fps, and the aiming in BO2 should feel phenomenal.

I think what's important to note is that playing with the Wiimote has a much higher skill ceiling than playing with a controller. With dual analog and ADS snap, skills only go that far and the skill gap between pros and average players is nowhere near as big as with the Wiimote aiming.
The real advantage of the Wiimote aiming is visible when there is no auto aim for anyone.

The absolute best part (well, second best part) of pointer aiming on the Wii/WiiU Call of Dutys is how the gun slightly rotates in your hands based on the angle you hold the remote. Feels really, really good.

It's a nice little touch for sure.

Sethos

Banned
People say this as if there are no other choices when dealing with the UAV. You can shoot them down! You can EARN counter UAV's.

Those are proper solutions to the UAV. IMO ghost shouldn't even exist in this franchise, but at least now it cannot be abused in the worst ways.

You obviously have never played S&D, never.

The absolute best part (well, second best part) of pointer aiming on the Wii/WiiU Call of Dutys is how the gun slightly rotates in your hands based on the angle you hold the remote. Feels really, really good.

15861_527442929482_150102623_313919.jpg

gangsta style

mxgt

Banned
I used to absolutely love SnD, especially in COD4

It just isn't as good any more, mainly because it doesn't seem like any maps are designed with it in mind. That and you can't sound whore.

Do you have this game? Im wondering if developers left that cool leaning option rotating the nunchuck. That felt amazing.

I wish i could succesfully use a Wiiremote in the PC but i heard the new versions of WiiRemote have problems interfacing with Glovepie.

Sethos

Banned
I used to absolutely love SnD, especially in COD4

It just isn't as good any more, mainly because it doesn't seem like any maps are designed with it in mind. That and you can't sound whore.

Yeah, they really did a number on it. Unfortunately there's no other fun modes in this game :( ( by fun I mean no respawn )

Hobohodo

So is there a list of all the branches floating around anywhere? Just finished the campaign and I'm really interested to see the branches.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Do you have this game? Im wondering if developers left that cool leaning option rotating the nunchuck. That felt amazing.

I wish i could succesfully use a Wiiremote in the PC but i heard the new versions of WiiRemote have problems interfacing with Glovepie.

I don't, no, but from the looks of the vids the Wii Remote gun tilting is identical to the Wii versions of Call of Duty. BLOPS2 has lean, so maybe it is again tied to the nunchuck.

legacyzero

Banned
Mostly what I was referring to :p Having to run around a 200mph in hardcore is frustrating beyond words because one stray shot and you're dead. S&D even worse, as then you have to wait. I can see the Ghost change being good for most modes but it has severely cramped other modes.

Just not enjoying S&D that much any more, neither are my friends. With all the sound nerfs, trying to remove sneakiness and tactical play plus the maps being so rush centric the mode just isn't magical anymore.

Your post is EXACTLY the reason why I've all but stopped playing anything BUT hardcore. It slows things down a bit.

Well, besides combat training.

Oh, and FAL-GAF repreSENT!

Sethos

Banned
Your post is EXACTLY the reason why I've all but stopped playing anything BUT hardcore. It slows things down a bit.

Well, besides combat training.

Oh, and FAL-GAF repreSENT!

It's actually funny, I was temporarily getting frustrated with how fast I went down so I decided to check out softcore S&D.

God it's junk.

The entire hit aspect is fucked up. One moment people die from 2 shots at across the map from an SMG. Next they survive half a clip to the chest with hit markers from an AR. I thought sniping was dead but that's only in Hardcore apparently. Snipers and quickscope kids in EVERY softcore match, trying to do their 360* shit in a killcam.

Hardcore is definitely the last bastion of enjoyment in this game. Pacing is so much better because people die when they pull all that rambo shit.

RS4-

It's actually funny, I was temporarily getting frustrated with how fast I went down so I decided to check out softcore S&D.

God it's junk.

The entire hit aspect is fucked up. One moment people die from 2 shots at across the map from an SMG. Next they survive half a clip to the chest with hit markers from an AR. I thought sniping was dead but that's only in Hardcore apparently. Snipers and quickscope kids in EVERY softcore match, trying to do their 360* shit in a killcam.

Hardcore is definitely the last bastion of enjoyment in this game. Pacing is so much better because people die when they pull all that rambo shit.

Yeah softcore is pretty shit. But running into softcore players in HC is just as bad, players just running around with hipfire smg.

Sethos

Banned
Yeah softcore is pretty shit. But running into softcore players in HC is just as bad, players just running around with hipfire smg.

Luckily, most hardcore matches have a different pace and the key to being good at hardcore is revising your movement pattern. When you nail that, the hip firing rushers are fairly easy to deal with. They will obviously have their lucky moments or get in a decent position but the mortality rate of rushers and hippers is pretty high.

You obviously have never played S&D, never.

I have, like once, in MW2. :p

But are you saying you have to be invisible to UAV to play that mode? Because if UAV is hard to earn in that mode, it should be worth something, and not just instantly avoided because you chose one perk.

Sethos

Banned
I have, like once, in MW2. :p

But are you saying you have to be invisible to UAV to play that mode?

Search & Destroy is all about tactical play, more so in Hardcore. You can't really camp but it's about slowly moving up, baiting the enemy and allowing someone to plant the bomb - Then defending it. The other way around, it's about covering the bomb sites with tooth and nail.

You will constantly get in situations where most of one team is dead and there's still 3-4 players left on the opposing team. This is the must adrenaline filled moments you can experience in a game when this happens. Then it's awesome as hell to use tactics and skill to crouch around the map, make as little noise as possible and be invisible to the enemy.

Having to blaze around at 50mph to avoid being seen is totally backwards and completely retarded for this kind of mode. Plus the size of the maps means you will get spotted extremely fast.

That all means the entire aspect of what made that mode so adrenalin filled, so awesome and so addicting has basically been turned off in an instant. It's super easy to get a UAV in S&D, there's always someone getting it but the Counter-UAV is 600 points in a STREAK which rarely ever happens when the opposing team is getting UAVs, that means someone is doing good. Shooting them down? That means both A) Sacrificing a secondary slot for a shitty AA launcher and B) Giving away your position, which on these small maps is insta death.

As I said earlier, they should start nerfing and buffing weapon / perks based on modes, divide modes up into 2-3 categories and have the perks and weapons act accordingly.

S&D is all about slow movement, more tactical oriented gameplay, waiting and occasional camping. Everything they are destroying by changing gameplay aspects based on every other mode in the game.

No hardcore kill confirmed is the reason I don't play it much

feels bad, please put it in treyarch

I've never played hardcore kill confirmed. Or kill confirmed for that matter as it wasn't a part of BO1's playlist and I skipped MW3. I'd love to see HC K/C on BO2 though, it would make for a good challenge.

zonezeus

Sometimes it doesnt matter what the fuck I do, I ALWAYS get fucked up the a in the end. Spot dude camping, middle range, engage first, have better cover, short bursts AR, I get 4 or 5 hit markers before he fires back. He STILL fucks me up.
On kill cam I see it's with suppressed SMG and he barely got a scratch. ;_;

Might as well throw candies at them and wait they die from cavities.

Edit: man, right now it dont matter what I do, if I get the drop on the guy or not, I fucking ALWAYS die. Fuck this shit.

I feel you man. I'm an average player who sometimes happen to have really good or even amazing games in other shooters, but BLOPS2 makes me look like it's my first fucking console shooter or even first console game ever. My k/d is atrocious, I rarely manage to get any killstreaks (and I aim low, UAV-Hunter Killer Drone-Care Package), in 85% of the games I feel like a cannon fodder for those 15-1 guys popping airstrikes and VTOLs out of their asses. I'm on 50mb fiber and I'm pretty sure I'm getting really fucked by lag compensation, but slowing down my internet connection feels like cheating and frankly it makes me sick that I even have to think about it to enjoy the game I paid almost 50€ for. It's a shame really, because besides lag compensation and crappy spawns it's probably my favourite CoD up to date.

S&D is definitely the playlist that gives me an Andrenaline rush. Especially when it's 1v1.

All eyes on you.

Oh yeah, fuck does my heart beat fast when that happens. Not only 1v1 but 1vX, you could be the last guy on your team, all eyes on you while there might be still guys left on the other team.

Sealion88

After the patch it seems like the matchmaking is finally working. People with similar KDR get out in to my teams lobby. MY KDR is goin wayyyyyy down lol

Fantasmo

I feel you man. I'm an average player who sometimes happen to have really good or even amazing games in other shooters, but BLOPS2 makes me look like it's my first fucking console shooter or even first console game ever. My k/d is atrocious, I rarely manage to get any killstreaks (and I aim low, UAV-Hunter Killer Drone-Care Package), in 85% of the games I feel like a cannon fodder for those 15-1 guys popping airstrikes and VTOLs out of their asses. I'm on 50mb fiber and I'm pretty sure I'm getting really fucked by lag compensation, but slowing down my internet connection feels like cheating and frankly it makes me sick that I even have to think about it to enjoy the game I paid almost 50€ for. It's a shame really, because besides lag compensation and crappy spawns it's probably my favourite CoD up to date.

I want to enjoy this but lag comp kills it. Its so unbelievably bad. Its 2012 and DSL is enough for online gaming, why are we going so far backwards?

clemenx

Banned
Is it possible in the WiiU version to play online with one person on TV and one on the Tablet? I still haven't read about it. I know it's possible in local but being able to do it online would be wonderful.

mxgt

Banned
The Remington on Hijacked is so much fun, love just rambo'ing around shotgunning everyone at close range.

Also get a lot of whiners which also amuses me.

omonimo

Banned
Anyone could post a comparison shot of ps3 version before & after this patch? I'm curious to see how much improved, treyarch official forum posted just some shots from the same scenario so it's hard to say whether the improvement is still relevant to lean on ps3 version, after that.

legacyzero

Banned
I disagree. It was awesome in MW2, Blops 1 also went back to a fun standard. It was shit in MW3 and it's a muddy experience in Blops 2 but could be easily saved with a Ghost tweak and some better maps.
I tried it in MW2, but my blistering HATE for MW2 kept me from enjoying it altogether.

Atruvius

If I buy a physical copy of the game for PC. Do I have to put the disc in every time I wan't to play it or can I launch straight from Steam?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Holy god it is amazing that after five identical games people still don't know how to do objective based matches. I know you like doing Nuketown 2025, but its not always Team Deathmatch.

Also Free for All on Nuketown is so fucked lol.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Considering the size of some of these maps that Treyarch were quite happy to allow for ground war, they seem to miss out a bunch too that seemingly would be perfectly suitable, if a map the size of Raid can work and be a shitfest of smgs and quickscopers then I don't know why the other maps that seem much bigger can't.

Why all the SMG anxieties? The SMG seems seriously nerfed to me this time around. I can actually run away from an SMG this time without getting instantly plugged.

Most of the time everyone and their mum is using an SMG, lol, some of the ridiculous ranges these guns can hit isn't helped by the maps that are essentially designed for close to mid range combat where the SMGs are at their best.

I've seen and personally cleared a room with people of assorted weapons with an SMG due to how crazy it can get sometimes, the lag comp doesn't help, at one point I just fell to the ground with no weapons fire, the kill cam had him firing quite a bit.

Holy god it is amazing that after five identical games people still don't know how to do objective based matches. I know you like doing Nuketown 2025, but its not always Team Deathmatch.

Also Free for All on Nuketown is so fucked lol.

Nuketown can be awful for any sort of objective mode, most of the time players seem to totally ignore what is going on, it is utterly frustrating to see most of the team run around the side of the map opposite when the base they are suppose to be protecting has been planeted. Though I think the annoyance would be alleviated if there was more than just "moshpit", people eveidentally go in to shoot people and to do it quickly, most probably don't want to play any objective mode, but the great minds at Treyarch again have just shoved all the modes into one.

Is it possible in the WiiU version to play online with one person on TV and one on the Tablet? I still haven't read about it. I know it's possible in local but being able to do it online would be wonderful.

I dont see why not since you can play split screen online on other consoles

Jack_AG

Banned
Impossible. I've been told there is no camping in this game.
How is hiding in a cramped area "camping"? Does nobody have tacticals?

And if an entire enemy team is down there... and you are all up top... how can they score points on you if you don't keep running in like a fool?

Smoke, concussion, flash, shield, etc. Too many ways to make it down even if every guy is watching the ladder.

That area is used in Hardpoint. I can't tell you how many times we swapped in just one game. It is by no means impossible or even hard to take people out down there. I actually find "B", domination, Hijacked a much harder time.

I'm not defending people who THINK going down there is a good idea - im just saying when its rather easy to roll inside and waste people - i'd be hesitant to call trapping yourself "camping".

feel

Feel dirty for saying this, but I've been enjoying BO2 mp a lot the past couple of days. Gameplay is fast and fun and it looks really gorgeous on the PC. Been getting a lot of "WTFFFFFFFFFF hahaha" messages on Steam from friends who see me playing a COD mp.

Desaan

If you want to beast in BLOPS 2 here's what you do: Fuck your connection up so you get a red bar, have seventeen P2P programs running, laugh as nobody can hit you and you mow everyone down due to lag compensation.

Like I've said before, those console devs, too much time smoking crack.

Jack_AG

Banned
Is anyone else missing games from their combat log? I just checked online and they usually pop up within seconds but several games I had yesterday aren't showing up. Kinda pisses me off because several games I went 6+ on demolition (6+ sets, won games, only one who actually set) and they aren't on my list. A few games from last night are missing, too. A few games with a new gun I used for 2 games aren't up at all while a few games after are showing up. These aren't games I quit early on, either. Stayed until lobby. No games or stats from those games and weapon (tried the AN-94). Weird.

I think BlOP2 is the most infuriating game I've ever played. The hit-detection is fucking horrendous and the maps are entirely too small and some are poorly designed. I'll just stick with BF3/4 and BFBC for my military FPS needs. Zombies mode was just ok, I was expecting more but I guess that was my mistake.

Top Bottom