• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Jack_AG

Banned
Has Treyarch even said anything about addressing spawns and the lag compensation? I'm in disbelief that I've stopped playing a Call of Duty game less than two weeks from it's launch, but the current state of the multiplayer is practically unplayable with the instadeath revenge spawning or lightning strikes.

Absolutely none of my buddies will have anything to do with it until they address the issues. Everyone wants to snap their disc due to the frustration.
They said the metrics show a 97% successful spawn rate. I can only assume "success" is measured if the player lives 16ms or longer.

As for lag comp the last we heard was that they had no clue people are having issues and didn't say much about it after.

They said the metrics show a 97% successful spawn rate. I can only assume "success" is measured if the player lives 16ms or longer.

As for lag comp the last we heard was that they had no clue people are having issues and didn't say much about it after.

Awesome, so in other words they're once again saying there's no issues :| They did this same nonsense in the first blops when asked about the PS3 issues.

Xux

Things that need to be fixed:

Hip fire spread should be increased both regularly and with laser sight on SMG
It's already higher spread than Steady Aim ever was. It needs to be wider?
Range on SMG should be reduced slightly
Fire rate on SMG should be dropped slightly. Regular fire rates are as fast or faster than those with rapid fire in previous games.
Pretty much every fire rate is copy pasted from Black Ops. Aside from the magazine sizes and lower ranged damage, the first four SMGs are clones of the Spectre, MP5K, MPL, and AK74u, in that order, with the same close range damage and rates of fire. The main difference is the lack of a Famas-type gun to trivialize the SMG category; the Type 25's nearly identical but with the wacky concept of higher fire rate = lower damage.

NOBODY uses LMG, perhaps give them FMJ automatically as a free attachment
I've seen plenty of people use them. Even though they're weaker than ever, they're pretty good in this game; QBB and HAMR are some of the best close range guns if you can ADS in time and the MK48's max damage range is longer than most sight lines.

ironcreed

Banned
I have enjoyed the multiplayer when it is not jumping, lagging and dropping the connection. Not on my end either, it's just the game. Doubt I'll be spending much more time with this.

Jack_AG

Banned
I have enjoyed the multiplayer when it is not jumping, lagging and dropping the connection. Not on my end either, it's just the game. Doubt I'll be spending much more time with this.
The numbers have dropped considerably online during peak hours on PS3. I imagine those are the metrics 3arch isn't paying attention to ;)

ironcreed

Banned
The numbers have dropped considerably online during peak hours on PS3. I imagine those are the metrics 3arch isn't paying attention to ;)

I'm playing it on the 360, myself. It's smooth a great deal of the time, but it still has far too much random lagginess and constantly stopping to migrate for my taste. It's been fun and I'll still mess with it a bit more, though, I always tend to get burned out rather quickly playing this kind of multiplayer anyway. COD is really just an every now and then thing for me these days and it always wears out it's welcome sooner than later.

Acinixys

HC CTF

Not my video.

Amazing. How can they not fix this BS already?

What they should do with Ghost is make it so that you only get half the amount of points when its equipped.

Sure, you'll be off the radar, but you have to do double the amount of work to get killstreaks to make up for that advantage.

Edit: Heck, go even further.. NO killstreaks when Ghost is equipped.

Heres a question. Blind Eye says it hides you from AI controlled air support. I assume this means UAV and VSAT? If so, WTF is the point of Ghost?

Xux

Heres a question. Blind Eye says it hides you from AI controlled air support. I assume this means UAV and VSAT? If so, WTF is the point of Ghost?
It means that air support that automatically locks on and kills you such as the Stealth Chopper and Hunter Killer won't attack you. UAV is separate and only countered with Ghost. VSAT is unavoidable and only blocked by CUAV and EMP.

Acinixys

It means that air support that automatically locks on and kills you such as the Stealth Chopper and Hunter Killer won't attack you. UAV is separate and only countered with Ghost. VSAT is unavoidable and only blocked by CUAV and EMP.

Ah, thanks.

On that note, i wish people would use controlled score streaks more. I need 9 more kills for gold on my AA launcher, and ive needed 9 for the past 4 days. People keep using the easy streaks instead. UAV all day every day. :(

impact

Banned
What they should do with Ghost is make it so that you only get half the amount of points when its equipped.

Sure, you'll be off the radar, but you have to do double the amount of work to get killstreaks to make up for that advantage.

Edit: Heck, go even further.. NO killstreaks when Ghost is equipped.

This post gave me cancer, thanks.

Ghost is not a problem. I don't even understand.

maomaoIYP

Amazing. How can they not fix this BS already?

Treyarch did not include the killstreak immunity that you get a few seconds after spawning. It was in MW3 and it was a great addition. I've spawned right into a lightning strike in this game.

I've seen plenty of people use them. Even though they're weaker than ever, they're pretty good in this game; QBB and HAMR are some of the best close range guns if you can ADS in time and the MK48's max damage range is longer than most sight lines.
I really like the HAMR, it can destroy a stealth chopper in a single mag with FMJ. But I only use it against killstreaks, due to most of the maps, movement and aiming speed is everything.

RS4-

Lol just finished a game where the guy brags about his lag switch (which runs for half the game with everyone teleporting) then he loses the game by 70 and says "look at the other team, all prestiging f** boys."

UAV can be countered with a launcher, ghost and a counter uav, the problem? CUAV is a level 33 unlock and requires 6 Kills in tdm.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Got my third Gold

8225566707_4b415f467b_b.jpg

With both the MSMC and Stinger Golden, both my girls are good to go. If I continue onwards with getting golds, it will be just to make those two Diamond. I don't think I'd be willing to Diamond the entire roster of guns in the game. But who knows, I still have the RPG left to Gold and 5 other SMGs.

Since they are golden, I shall name my MSMC Summer; she's the feisty naughty one. The Stinger I have is named Rain. She's big, beautiful, and always there when I need her. Together they are collectively Summer Rain and they make me feel fine. Well them and Hardline, Engineer, and my Black Hats :)

One thing I definitely want to do in Black Ops 2 is earn a legit non-care package Warthog. Easily my favorite non-controlled scorestreak in any CoD. Although I remember sometimes I'd buddy it up with the MW2 Harrier for massive carnage.

Acinixys

Well, ive found my favorite combo.

Primary - FAL w/ Select Fire/Forgrip/Reddot
Secondary - 870 w/ Long Barrel

Fast Hands
Dexterity

and Primary Gunfighter/Overkill as my wildcards. Been going positive since i started using this.

In reply to the post above, ive got gold for my FAL, 870 and AN. Trying fot all the launchers ATM

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
HC CTF

Not my video.

Jesus, I'm not even sure why games still rely on exact spawn placement instead of some sort of spawn logic area.
I shouldn't spawn onto a bouncing betty, no one should be spawning into the path of a guardian let alone to this degree, or even right next to and in the middle of the other team.

HC CTF

Not my video.

Oh my. They actually lied and said the spawn rate was 97% successful? There's no way. I'm lucky if 1 out of 3 spawns doesn't result in me getting killed within 90 seconds.

Lag compensation is bad, but I can try to deal with it by getting the drop on my opponents as much as possible. But the spawns are crazy. I've seen people spawn on the killcam right behind me to shoot me in the back.

Ryck

I notice a lot of people running with the Fal and Grip. I didn't really notice any change with or without, what benefits does it give you?

(I'm using Fal-reflex/stock/select fire )

redhot_

Holy, just tried to play TDM for a few matches, and i think its safe to say the scum of CoD resides there. Every doorway pretty much had a betty or a shock charge thing with someone squeezing L1 pointed at it. Thank god for engineer.

Boost

Banned
I may be the only one who DOES NOT want to be respawn into getting a payback. I HATE IT. I hate the fact I kill somebody only to be killed by them 5 secs later because they spawn them behind me for the payback. Take the payback out of the game. Let me or the enemy run across the map and meet at high noon.

I notice a lot of people running with the Fal and Grip. I didn't really notice any change with or without, what benefits does it give you?

(I'm using Fal-reflex/stock/select fire )

Supposed to give you less recoil while aiming down the sights. Doesn't really help with the FAL because the gun has very little recoil to begin with. Their probably just using the suggested set up that's been floating around. A suppressor or target finder is a better choice.

Xux

Treyarch did not include the killstreak immunity that you get a few seconds after spawning. It was in MW3 and it was a great addition. I've spawned right into a lightning strike in this game.
I distinctly remember getting two of the milestones for the Flak Jacket calling card challenge from spawning and dieing from a Hunter Killer and a Lightning Strike...which is ironic 'cause the challenge is "survive" 100 explosions with Flak Jacket on.

I really like the HAMR, it can destroy a stealth chopper in a single mag with FMJ. But I only use it against killstreaks, due to most of the maps, movement and aiming speed is everything.
They do feel incomplete without Quickdraw and it's annoying that you have to grind for it again. It'd be cool if they lowered the ADS time for ARs and LMGs down a tier to make them more appealing choices.
Awesome, so in other words they're once again saying there's no issues :| They did this same nonsense in the first blops when asked about the PS3 issues.
That was before release and I remember their metric was 3 seconds before an encounter 97% of the time.

The lead MP programmer acknowledged networking issues about a week ago and said they're still working on issues "across the board".

I was thinking a lot about the map design of this game and MW3 in comparison to CoD4. I think we're really seeing human psychology fighting against the wishes of the developers. Bear with me.

Specifically I was thinking about the "sniper buildings" with two windows each on the map Meltdown. And I was thinking about them in comparison to a building from Crash in CoD4.

The building I'm thinking of in Crash has two entry points. Stairs and a ladder. You get two claymores, and they can be destroyed by frags, RPGs, or tubes to flush you out. If one goes, you have to watch an extra flank or leave your perch.

Now back to Meltdown. A "sniper building" has 2 entries into the lobby. Those two entries converge to the staircase. Up the staircase, there is another vent that someone can crawl in through the outside. Enemies can also climb boxes outside and come in through the window. So four entry points to a perch that is smaller (with less room to dodge fire and grenades) than the one on Crash.

You can have two claymores or betties (if you use an extra class point), and they can be destroyed by frags, RPGs, SMAWs, tubes, EMP grenades, false tripped by Engineer (which also gives away your position), nullified by flak jacket, stunned by tacticals, hacked by Black Hat, and also destroyed by a number of killstreaks.

Clearly what Treyarch wants and what Infinity Ward wanted was for the player to maybe take a shot, but never actually stay in that building. If you do, you get stabbed or shot in the back. If not after one kill, then after a few.

But what they've done with these maps is instill fear into the player. Fear that the player will get stabbed or shot in the back at any time because of the labyrinth locations.

I think it's pretty clear that after two games, when you instill a player with fear, they don't run out reckless, guns blazing. Instead, players double down on safe play. They find even safer spots to put their back against a wall, so nobody can come rushing through.

This means players camp in corners. They put a claymore at the door and stare at it, waiting for someone to pass by, ADSing just incase the claymore fails.

It may seem counterintuitive to the devs, but the play is showing this to be true. Some players will just become all out rushers with no other options. But other players will create even more defenses, playing with as few risks as possible.

After all, if a player gives away their location in that sniping building on Meltdown and tries to leave, they're all but certain to get dead when players come rushing in. There's just too many entrances to be sure that they're all covered. So why not just hole up where they're at least safe for the moment?

Anticipating the metagame in an online shooter is hard work, sure. But Treyarch and Infinity Ward failed when they tried to shape human psychology when all they did was trigger it.

fozzy

I've never had so many random freezes than in this game. This and the leaderboard resets is really making me not want to play.

clear31

I finished the campaign yesterday after just not caring to beat it sooner. I enjoyed it at times but it really did seem to be all over the place, all the characters thrown at you just made it a bit confusing at times as well. I'm not saying the CoD campaigns are brilliant or anything but I think this game was a mess with how it jumped all over the place.

Disappointed but maybe I shouldnt of had any expectations at all

rCIZZLE

Holy, just tried to play TDM for a few matches, and i think its safe to say the scum of CoD resides there. Every doorway pretty much had a betty or a shock charge thing with someone squeezing L1 pointed at it. Thank god for engineer.

I rarely see this. Most of the games I join are full of idiots sprinting back and forth across the map terrified of stopping for even a split second because if they do, they will forever be a camping n00b.

Did anything happen with the WiiU Nuke town map? Any response from Activision?

I got a letter from Advertising Standards in the UK. They said because Activision removed the map from their website before the game released there is nothing they can do. I guess there is no gentleman's agreement involved. My guess is that if you were that miffed about the map you could get a refund. I don't think ASA really understand the nature of pre-order incentives, but my guess is that if you pre-order the product is subject to change.

Acinixys

After all, if a player gives away their location in that sniping building on Meltdown and tries to leave, they're all but certain to get dead when players come rushing in. There's just too many entrances to be sure that they're all covered. So why not just hole up where they're at least safe for the moment?

I have to agree with you. Its even worse on Turbine, because almost everyone plays snipers and camps the whole game. I just hope the DLC maps are more balanced for non campers

Halcyon

I actually don't mind meltdown. You have areas to the left and right that you can patrol as a rusher. I rarely get in line of sight of the two sniper nests.

You can occassionaly toss a frag in them or get up in the middle window room and try to pick them off.

Yemen on the other hand can die in a fire. Everyone is either sniping from a random window or camping a corner. It is very lame.

I was thinking a lot about the map design of this game and MW3 in comparison to CoD4. I think we're really seeing human psychology fighting against the wishes of the developers. Bear with me.

Specifically I was thinking about the "sniper buildings" with two windows each on the map Meltdown. And I was thinking about them in comparison to a building from Crash in CoD4.

The building I'm thinking of in Crash has two entry points. Stairs and a ladder. You get two claymores, and they can be destroyed by frags, RPGs, or tubes to flush you out. If one goes, you have to watch an extra flank or leave your perch.

Now back to Meltdown. A "sniper building" has 2 entries into the lobby. Those two entries converge to the staircase. Up the staircase, there is another vent that someone can crawl in through the outside. Enemies can also climb boxes outside and come in through the window. So four entry points to a perch that is smaller (with less room to dodge fire and grenades) than the one on Crash.

You can have two claymores or betties (if you use an extra class point), and they can be destroyed by frags, RPGs, SMAWs, tubes, EMP grenades, false tripped by Engineer (which also gives away your position), nullified by flak jacket, stunned by tacticals, hacked by Black Hat, and also destroyed by a number of killstreaks.

Clearly what Treyarch wants and what Infinity Ward wanted was for the player to maybe take a shot, but never actually stay in that building. If you do, you get stabbed or shot in the back. If not after one kill, then after a few.

But what they've done with these maps is instill fear into the player. Fear that the player will get stabbed or shot in the back at any time because of the labyrinth locations.

I think it's pretty clear that after two games, when you instill a player with fear, they don't run out reckless, guns blazing. Instead, players double down on safe play. They find even safer spots to put their back against a wall, so nobody can come rushing through.

This means players camp in corners. They put a claymore at the door and stare at it, waiting for someone to pass by, ADSing just incase the claymore fails.

It may seem counterintuitive to the devs, but the play is showing this to be true. Some players will just become all out rushers with no other options. But other players will create even more defenses, playing with as few risks as possible.

Anticipating the metagame in an online shooter is hard work, sure. But Treyarch and Infinity Ward failed when they tried to shape human psychology when all they did was trigger it.

I was discussing this same thing with my friend. To me, it seems like the things they put in place to be anti-"camper" actually help reinforce that gameplay style of holding one spot down. Instead of one person of the Meltdown building, you have a sniper with two betties and a shock charge, a guy hiding behind the desk in the lobby, someone laying down next to the vent ladder incase a bettie goes off, and snipers on each side of the building, one behind the truck and one facing the reactor building incase of someone taking the long flank. The whole team sits. And they have that wonderful thing in the middle making you come up directly into sniper sights.

This is a playstyle that seems more prevalent on the maps. They hold down one half. Hijacked, Aftermath, Meltdown, etc. Which some would argue is great team strategy, and I will admit it is, no doubt. It's just not fun.

Especially with something like Hijacked. Sure, you can use the under the boat path, but you exit RIGHT at their spawn, so if you want to get those guys sitting at the pillars, you have to turn your back to their spawn.

Then you have things like the target finders to help a camper see the people they might normally miss. Just light them up with a red diamond!

It just seems like it's facilitating less movement and more defense, which might be fun for some, but I gather that it's not fun for most. At least from all the bitching I hear in-lobby and online (myself included).

Seems like there's plenty of time to drop one to me. All it takes is 1 person to do it and the thing is gone. But no one uses them in this game it seems.

When did you start playing? lol it's a scorestreak called Guardian. Shoots a straight line of radiation across the map. Slows and stuns you most of the time, but it can kill you if you stay in the radiation long enough.

I've clocked 13 hours in Domination and I've honestly never seen it! I very well may have been killed by it thinking it was one of those planted shock grenade things though.

I've clocked 13 hours in Domination and I've honestly never seen it! I very well may have been killed by it thinking it was one of those planted shock grenade things though.

How the fuck can you not witness it in Domination of all modes?? The Guardian is the bread and butter of protecting a flag.

How the fuck can you not witness it in Domination of all modes?? The Guardian is the bread and butter of protecting a flag.

I've probably seen them and assumed that it was the new version of the SAM turret....which I've also just realized isn't in the game.

I haven't spent much time exploring the equipment & score streaks at all.

Fantasmo

I was discussing this same thing with my friend. To me, it seems like the things they put in place to be anti-"camper" actually help reinforce that gameplay style of holding one spot down. Instead of one person of the Meltdown building, you have a sniper with two betties and a shock charge, a guy hiding behind the desk in the lobby, someone laying down next to the vent ladder incase a bettie goes off, and snipers on each side of the building, one behind the truck and one facing the reactor building incase of someone taking the long flank. The whole team sits. And they have that wonderful thing in the middle making you come up directly into sniper sights.

This is a playstyle that seems more prevalent on the maps. They hold down one half. Hijacked, Aftermath, Meltdown, etc. Which some would argue is great team strategy, and I will admit it is, no doubt. It's just not fun.

Especially with something like Hijacked. Sure, you can use the under the boat path, but you exit RIGHT at their spawn, so if you want to get those guys sitting at the pillars, you have to turn your back to their spawn.

Then you have things like the target finders to help a camper see the people they might normally miss. Just light them up with a red diamond!

It just seems like it's facilitating less movement and more defense, which might be fun for some, but I gather that it's not fun for most. At least from all the bitching I hear in-lobby and online (myself included).
This is what I've been saying, minus the articulation (thanks to both of you for that) since a few days in. Its been a problem with all games post MW2, and really messes up all the flow.

You didn't have all these huge problems then because most safe houses only have 2 entrances and sound whoring was possible. Most people would do their own thing and could easily be flushed out with creative custom classes. While that introduces its own issues you didn't have to deal with fortresses and the map design, spawning and flow was better for it.

The only things that really needed changing in MW2 was map changes, like putting a solid impenetrable roof in Terminal's west gift shop to stop chopper gunners and a built in class with Cold Blooded and Stinger.

1 more change. 10 custom classes from day 1 and a level 4 Stinger/Cold Blooded.

MW2 also had the best Search and Destroy.

If these companies want to really step it up they might consider making easily modular map changes through non patch (free for them) updates.

DinnerRevealer

Neo Member
I wish they had been more creative with the flag placement in domination than plunking down 3 flags in a straight line. Something like more square maps instead of skinny ones, and maybe 5 flags in an x shape or something. Right now all you have to do is camp B until your team caps it, then keep camping B.

I just feel like every block of the map is a piece of Swiss cheese, there's just too many places for me to watch as I move and I get shot from out of nowhere. I think that's the "anti-camp" design everyone is talking about.
Just doubling all the maps sizes would help a lot, especially with the re-spawns. I shouldn't have to spin a 360 every time I spawn. And I sure as hell shouldn't spawn together with an enemy. (I'm talking about spawning with them as they spawn, not having a spawn overrun)

I wish they had been more creative with the flag placement in domination than plunking down 3 flags in a straight line. Something like more square maps instead of skinny ones, and maybe 5 flags in an x shape or something. Right now all you have to do is camp B until your team caps it, then keep camping B.

Yup, the strategy is pure crap:

1.) Camp at B
2.) Take A/C when everyone's at B

I got bored and haven't played in a few days.

RS4-

The way domination right now is pretty shit, the maps don't help. Then again, the same can be said for soft core CTF and Demo, and add the the spawn garbage on top of it.

ironcreed

Banned
Is anyone else still having lock ups? I am getting the cold shoulder on everyone I contact about it.

360 version here. It has froze up on me once, but my main issues are the random jumpy lag and the matches constantly stopping to migrate. Just saps the fun right out and burns me out even faster. About done with this one.

Cornbread78

The way domination right now is pretty shit, the maps don't help. Then again, the same can be said for soft core CTF and Demo, and add the the spawn garbage on top of it.

Seriously, the spawn are teh worst I've ever experience in online gaming thus far. No joke there. I got spawn killed 7 straight times within 5 seconds of spawning last night and almost threw my controlled through my LED I was so pissed. Between that and the lag comp, which almost makes the game unplayable if you don;t have a great connection... AARRGGHHHHHHHH

Top Bottom