• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Seriously, the spawn are teh worst I've ever experience in online gaming thus far. No joke there. I got spawn killed 7 straight times within 5 seconds of spawning last night and almost threw my controlled through my LED I was so pissed. Between that and the lag comp, which almost makes the game unplayable if you don;t have a great connection... AARRGGHHHHHHHH

So bad. I've had several instances when host migration happened while I'm throwing a frag - migrate, frag falls to my foot while screen is counting down, "mistake" death. Fucking terrible.

Fantasmo

I just wish the commander voice over waning would finish before they strike. Problem fixed.

ALSO, they NEED to put a visual cue (some sort of small icon) for enemy UAV and Lightning Strike, because you can't depend on the inconsistent announcer. For UAV it needs a number next to it also.

I haven't tested it but I can hardly believe that the announcer can keep up with all scorestreaks, objective updates, and equipment. Even without testing, I'm certain I've been taken out because of unannounced UAVs countless times.

Just put a tiny transparent symbol right under the radar.

Seriously, the spawn are teh worst I've ever experience in online gaming thus far. No joke there. I got spawn killed 7 straight times within 5 seconds of spawning last night and almost threw my controlled through my LED I was so pissed. Between that and the lag comp, which almost makes the game unplayable if you don;t have a great connection... AARRGGHHHHHHHH

I honestly haven't had THAT much trouble with spawns, and I play domination on 360 pretty much exclusively. As someone that has dropped double digit days worth of gameplay in every CoD since MW1, this one leads the group in "not getting hit markers, much less kills, when there is absolutely NO WAY WHAT SO EVER I shouldn't be getting AT LEAST a hit marker or eight" in terms of how often it happens/time played.

ALSO, they NEED to put a visual cue (some sort of small icon) for enemy UAV and Lightning Strike, because you can't depend on the inconsistent announcer. For UAV it needs a number next to it also.

I haven't tested it but I can hardly believe that the announcer can keep up with all scorestreaks, objective updates, and equipment. Even without testing, I'm certain I've been taken out because of unannounced UAVs countless times.

About 30 seconds into round 2 of a domination match the announced indicated a Hostile UAV-I looked up to shoot it down and there were three all next two each other. Unless they called them in at the same time, I agree with you.

Fantasmo

About 30 seconds into round 2 of a domination match the announced indicated a Hostile UAV-I looked up to shoot it down and there were three all next two each other. Unless they called them in at the same time, I agree with you.

Things are so chaotic now, and with Ghost being neutered, this needs to happen. It wouldn't take them very long to implement. A graphic designer can do it in 20 minutes, and a programmer, plus some testing in less than a week. Probably one day to be quite honest.

The announcer voice is slow. I find it hard to believe you're not pinged before you hear the word "Hostile" in "Hostile UAV online". At least this way, I would know for sure if I'm on radar.

NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

RS4-

Things are so chaotic now, and with Ghost being broken, this needs to happen. It wouldn't take them very long to implement. A graphic designer can do it in 20 minutes, and a programmer, plus some testing in less than a week. Probably one day to be quite honest.

The announcer voice is slow. I find it hard to believe you're not pinged before you hear the word "Hostile" in "Hostile UAV online".

NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

If they don't want to fix the voice notification they need to implement text and visual. The text may be lost in all the bullshit but at least it'd be something.

Fantasmo

If they don't want to fix the voice notification they need to implement text and visual. The text may be lost in all the bullshit but at least it'd be something.

They seem to have priority voices in but matches get insanely hectic so stuff is going to get lost no matter what.

Just crop this

uav_menu_icon_boiijspu7.png
and put under the radar. Make it tiny transparent and unobtrusive and put a number next to it. Same with VSAT. Everything else doesn't need it, but UAV, Lightning Strike and VSAT should have it.

UAV on the left (with a number), Lightning Strike in the middle, VSAT on the right. All of them directly under the radar.

called in a carepackage only to have it bounce back to the helicopter and dropped off on the edge of the map...

outside the reach of my black hat :(

second time this week too.

I was discussing this same thing with my friend. To me, it seems like the things they put in place to be anti-"camper" actually help reinforce that gameplay style of holding one spot down. Instead of one person of the Meltdown building, you have a sniper with two betties and a shock charge, a guy hiding behind the desk in the lobby, someone laying down next to the vent ladder incase a bettie goes off, and snipers on each side of the building, one behind the truck and one facing the reactor building incase of someone taking the long flank. The whole team sits. And they have that wonderful thing in the middle making you come up directly into sniper sights.

This is a playstyle that seems more prevalent on the maps. They hold down one half. Hijacked, Aftermath, Meltdown, etc. Which some would argue is great team strategy, and I will admit it is, no doubt. It's just not fun.

Especially with something like Hijacked. Sure, you can use the under the boat path, but you exit RIGHT at their spawn, so if you want to get those guys sitting at the pillars, you have to turn your back to their spawn.

Then you have things like the target finders to help a camper see the people they might normally miss. Just light them up with a red diamond!

It just seems like it's facilitating less movement and more defense, which might be fun for some, but I gather that it's not fun for most. At least from all the bitching I hear in-lobby and online (myself included).

I'm not even coming out against a defensive playstyle. I think you need both. Offensive and defensive, and a good map accommodates all styles.

Personally, I play a more mid-long range game. But I notice the effect these multiple entry points are having on myself and my own way of playing.

While in Black Ops, I felt great securing a building in Firing Range or a large map like Cracked, holding it for a bit, checking the lines of sight, and then moving on. With Blops 2, I'm scared shitless to move on. Why would I put myself out in the open with a burst rifle when I'm sure to be confronted face-to-back seven different ways to Sunday?

I tend to stay in buildings waiting for people way longer than I did in Black Ops or CoD4 because I know what's going to happen if I try to move onto another location. I'll have 3 SMG rushers coming from three different directions. There's no possibility I can secure my flanks or ever be sure an area is clear (especially with the spawns), so why bother to put myself out there?

junkster said:

Agreed 100%. Can't count how many times I've shot down an announced UAV, then I die 20 seconds later to a killcam that could've only happened if the enemy knew where I was. Sure enough, I spawn, look to the sky, and there's the UAV. If they would've only told me it was there, I could've shot that one down too or at least adjusted my strategy.

Fucking lightning strike. hated those things when an enemy calls it.

Be advi... BOOM ...sed, enemy lightning strike.

Jack_AG

Banned
called in a carepackage only to have it bounce back to the helicopter and dropped off on the edge of the map...

outside the reach of my black hat :(

second time this week too.
I can't count how many times i've seen a care package bounce. How the hell was this not brought up in QA? It was comical once... ONCE.

Also - UAVs not being announced... I have mixed feelings. I kinda wish everything your enemy does goes unannounced - especially hacking. I think that would slow the game down a tad since players would be forced to play with more awareness. It might be fun not having every enemy move handed to you on a platter.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
They seem to have priority voices in but matches get insanely hectic so stuff is going to get lost no matter what.

Just crop this

uav_menu_icon_boiijspu7.png
and put under the radar. Make it tiny transparent and unobtrusive and put a number next to it. Same with VSAT. Everything else doesn't need it, but UAV, Lightning Strike and VSAT should have it.

UAV on the left (with a number), Lightning Strike in the middle, VSAT on the right. All of them directly under the radar.

Great idea for the UAVs, but the Lightning Strike and VSAT are high enough that they need not be nerfed. The lightning streak just needs a 2 or 3 second delay, really, between the announcer and the strike. And if you get a VSAT and the enemy didn't know, that's their problem. You should be checking corners anyways >_>

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
For folks that have this on the Wii-U...any good advice on control settings for the Wiiremote/Nunchuck setup?

There are a billion different ways to customize those controls, but all of them feel a little off to me. Aiming is pretty much fine no matter how I mess with things, but I feel like I'm stumbling around like an idiot trying to run around the battlefield.

As someone who is heavily versed in console FPS controls (prestiged a trillion times in MW2), I need to be able to both move and shoot effectively otherwise I'll be a dead-duck out there.

Any tips or advice...or should I just use the standard twin-sticks? If so, I need to buy a set of analog stick extenders (KontrolFreek FPS)

Or use a sound cue. In Blops1 even if you didn't hear the announcer notify you a Napalm Strike was about to happen the plane makes a very loud and unique noise to let you know you were about to be set on fire.

For folks that have this on the Wii-U...any good advice on control settings for the Wiiremote/Nunchuck setup?

There are a billion different ways to customize those controls, but all of them feel a little off to me. Aiming is pretty much fine no matter how I mess with things, but I feel like I'm stumbling around like an idiot trying to run around the battlefield.

As someone who is heavily versed in console FPS controls (prestiged a trillion times in MW2), I need to be able to both move and shoot effectively otherwise I'll be a dead-duck out there.

Any tips or advice...or should I just use the standard twin-sticks? If so, I need to buy a set of analog stick extenders (KontrolFreek FPS)

This video is for MW3, but it'll get you up to speed, explaining all the options.

You'll want your horizontal speed mostly to be as fast as possible for turning. Camera Sensitivity affects turning also, but I suggest turning that low as a high camera sensitivity will be too fast.

Here's my set-up (will also post button layout if you want):

Scope Aiming - Pointer
Scope Reticle - Centered
Lookspring - Disabled
Turret Aiming - Control Stick

Horizontal Speed - 40
Vertical Speed - 30
Horizontal Speed ADS - 40
Vertical Speed ADS - 30

Camera Sensitivity - 10
Scope Sensitivity - 0

Wii Remote Sensitivity (Gesture) - 20
Nunchuk Sensitivity (Gesture) - 30

ADS Reach - 10

We're getting a patch adding the missing Cursor Sensitivity setting. I would recommend a high number for that. As high as you can go while still controlling the natural jitter of your hands.

For Dead Zones, a lot of top Wii remote players put it to as low as you can go. I like to have a bit of a dead zone for hipfire. Not very large, but maybe 7 ticks out each way from the zero point in the center (I haven't counted). And then a smaller dead zone for ADS (maybe 4 tick marks?).

Hope that helps. And watch the vid. He explains it better than I could.

Jack_AG

Banned
that was my understanding of it. at least show the direction of the jets or something.
Direction doesn't matter - its placement of the bombs themselves.

And if you still wanted a direction - you CAN see the bombs for a few seconds before the fly-by. A bunch of red circles on the map indicates the direction the strike is coming from.

Jack_AG

Banned
Or use a sound cue. In Blops1 even if you didn't hear the announcer notify you a Napalm Strike was about to happen the plane makes a very loud and unique noise to let you know you were about to be set on fire.
In BO2 you hear the jets coming and get a visual indicator on your map of the bomb cluster itself for quite a few seconds before the drop.

Not that it matters since they can fly in from anywhere since the placement is what you need to worry about.

Makoto

And if you still wanted a direction - you CAN see the bombs for a few seconds before the fly-by. A bunch of red circles on the map indicates the direction the strike is coming from.

In BO2 you hear the jets coming and get a visual indicator on your map of the bomb cluster itself for quite a few seconds before the drop.

Not that it matters since they can fly in from anywhere since the placement is what you need to worry about.
I'm pretty sure you're talking about the Missiles scorestreak. They're talking about the Lightning Strike.

You should just use the controller. These games aren't designed to be played with the Wiimote. It's just shoehorned in.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

Could not have asked for a better reply, I'll sort through all this when I get home from work and give it another shot.

Thanks a lot, man.

You should just use the controller. These games aren't designed to be played with the Wiimote. It's just shoehorned in.
Trying to decide for myself if it's a viable control-scheme or not. I've read a lot of mixed reviews online so I figured the best way to figure it out would be to try it for myself!

Has anyone had any audio issues on PS3? I was playing just now and suddenly my game sounds as if it was possessed by Satan. Just weird gargling noises, I can't hear anything from the game, only voice chat. Had to quit out to the XMB and restart CoD. Which sucked, I was fucking dominating. Have been all day actually. I'd been using the FAL with a silencer. Took it off, damn it's deadly.

Also, does the black hat or whatever allow you to like.. INSTANTLY steal a teammates care package? Because I have now run into 2-3 games today with teammates who have it equipped just to troll people and steal their packages. To hack an enemy UAV/CUAV it seems to take FOREVER so it seemed weird to me that it was so fast.

at least it will give people a heads up. instead of getting hit by one THEN having the announcer say it's coming

placement of the bombs is kind of like trying to figure out where a predator/hellstorm missle will hit, you know it's coming but you dont know where

speaking of hellstorm missles, i only recently found out you can boost them with L1. silly me :|

Has anyone had any audio issues on PS3? I was playing just now and suddenly my game sounds as if it was possessed by Satan. Just weird gargling noises, I can't hear anything from the game, only voice chat. Had to quit out to the XMB and restart CoD. Which sucked, I was fucking dominating. Have been all day actually. I'd been using the FAL with a silencer. Took it off, damn it's deadly.

happened to me once while zombies.

Boost

Banned
I gather a ping of 14 and a open NAT means nothing in this game. On many occasions I'm at least 2 secs behind the enemy in a fire fight or when I spray bullets.

VaLiancY

I must be alone finding UAVs without a problem. Only time I can't see them is when they're on the other side of a building like Express or Aftermath. Plaza, I find the UAVs super easy to find because of the exhaust stands out on the night sky.

Ensoul

I was discussing this same thing with my friend. To me, it seems like the things they put in place to be anti-"camper" actually help reinforce that gameplay style of holding one spot down. Instead of one person of the Meltdown building, you have a sniper with two betties and a shock charge, a guy hiding behind the desk in the lobby, someone laying down next to the vent ladder incase a bettie goes off, and snipers on each side of the building, one behind the truck and one facing the reactor building incase of someone taking the long flank. The whole team sits. And they have that wonderful thing in the middle making you come up directly into sniper sights.

This is a playstyle that seems more prevalent on the maps. They hold down one half. Hijacked, Aftermath, Meltdown, etc. Which some would argue is great team strategy, and I will admit it is, no doubt. It's just not fun.

Especially with something like Hijacked. Sure, you can use the under the boat path, but you exit RIGHT at their spawn, so if you want to get those guys sitting at the pillars, you have to turn your back to their spawn.

Then you have things like the target finders to help a camper see the people they might normally miss. Just light them up with a red diamond!

It just seems like it's facilitating less movement and more defense, which might be fun for some, but I gather that it's not fun for most. At least from all the bitching I hear in-lobby and online (myself included).

I agree with this. Treyarch seemed so hell bent on discouraging camping that in many ways they made it worse with their map design. Yeah I understand the theory behind it; make the maps smaller sized with a a bunch of entry points so people don't sit in one spot. The problem is that maps are so small and there are so many entry points that if you keep moving around all the time you constantly get shot in the back, the left side, the right side, the diagonal backside, from above, from below etc. It gets very frustrating. All this leads up to players finding a point to to hold down, throwing two claymores in some spots and sit there waiting for people to walk by.

Yes there are still a few entry points when camping and you can get shot but you have three of them sealed for the most part up with the claymores and the direction you're facing as opposed walking around and having the potential to get shot from 10 different directions. My thinking is that because of the map design people are so sick of getting shot from the back and dying every 20 seconds they camp as they have a better chance to survive this way versus walking around.

Sethos

Banned
What experience? I prestiged the M8A1 and I didn't get an XP boost. I was pissed because I read what you're saying, prestiged it and got no bonus.

You don't get an instant boost, believe he's talking about all the unlocks etc. you get some XP for every unlock you do with the weapon, you'd lose out on that.

ohlawd

How much XP are we talking about?

Let's take an SMG.

I think there are 15 attachments (15 levels?) and each subsequent attachment is 100 xp more than the previous one.
1) 100
2) 200
15) 1500.

So from lvl 1 to max level, you gained about 12,000 exp.

Then you gain 5,000 exp from getting a gun to max prestige. This is the 1st challenge. Then the other challenge that requires all the camo of that particular gun, that's another 5,000 exp. Finish both of these challenges and you get another 10,000 exp.

Top Bottom