• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

VertPin

PC version of MW3 is inferior to the PS3 version, actually. Not surprising, considering the PC port of MW2 wasn't anything to write home about either. I thought the PS3 version looked fine. It has a fairly boring campaign and the DLC map packs didn't add a lot of great maps. Survival mode is great, though (if not a bit sterile) and the Spec Ops missions add a little more replay value.

How is it inferior if I may ask?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with the lag and connection problems, but the maps are great IMO and there are so many ways around the bouncing betty mines (ducking, not running around madly, various perks) that they're not a problem. In fact I love how idiots become over dependent on them to cover entrances, just crouch underneath them and shoot them in the back. Only reason to get killed by a betty is if you get caught when somebody throws one out as they're dying in a last ditch effort. Plus the people who spam them are just giving me so many points towards my streaks.
It's the lag issues and maps more than anything. The betty's were just the icing on the cake. I don't get that pissed when I killed by them, but my game style doesn't help me avoid them. I only play team death match and I'm always moving. I never camp unless I'm sniping. I don't have luck in these games like other people do. I can't crouch walk everywhere and expect to do good. I always get caught from behind or the side when I do that because the SECOND I choose to play like that, a guy pops out and I'm a sitting duck. When I equip engineer, it helps avoid them, but then I get killed trying to take them out. People put them behind corners so I can't shoot them until I'm already around the corner, then it goes off and kills me or the guy is waiting for me and since my attention is on the betty, he kills me while I'm trying to shoot it. I just can't win. But like I said, the Betty's are the least of my problems. I can't count the amount of times I've point blank opened up on someone and somehow they turn and kill me. The shot guns are the worst offender. I've actually walked up to a guy from behind with one, fired it in his back, and NOTHING happened. No hit marker, nothing. He turned and knifed me. And this happens A LOT. Not just once or twice, but at least a few times a night. So yeah, I'm done with the game. It felt weird from the first time I put it in last week and tonight just sealed the deal for me.

The end.

Have they posted pics of these disks? Bluffing otherwise!

u5Rox.jpg

Sojgat

It's the lag issues and maps more than anything. The betty's were just the icing on the cake. I don't get that pissed when I killed by them, but my game style doesn't help me avoid them. I only play team death match and I'm always moving. I never camp unless I'm sniping. I don't have luck in these games like other people do. I can't crouch walk everywhere and expect to do good. I always get caught from behind or the side when I do that because the SECOND I choose to play like that, a guy pops out and I'm a sitting duck. When I equip engineer, it helps avoid them, but then I get killed trying to take them out. People put them behind corners so I can't shoot them until I'm already around the corner, then it goes off and kills me or the guy is waiting for me and since my attention is on the betty, he kills me while I'm trying to shoot it. I just can't win. But like I said, the Betty's are the least of my problems. I can't count the amount of times I've point blank opened up on someone and somehow they turn and kill me. The shot guns are the worst offender. I've actually walked up to a guy from behind with one, fired it in his back, and NOTHING happened. No hit marker, nothing. He turned and knifed me. And this happens A LOT. Not just once or twice, but at least a few times a night. So yeah, I'm done with the game. It felt weird from the first time I put it in last week and tonight just sealed the deal for me.

The end.

This only happens to me when I'm host. I'm guessing a lot of people are starting to work this out because every game I play has at least 1 host leave. Worst I've had is 3 in a row before the game even restarted (then I was made host so I quit). Treyarch really need to do something about this crap.

With the betties You can hack them as well using the black hat. It really turns the tables on those situations you're talking about. There's also time to duck under them after they're triggered.

Edit: Sooo I guess you really did it, never mind then:0

Badgerst3

Just discovered hardcore team death match. Will be residing here a bit.

Pretty much makes silencers moot. My burst fire fal with quick aim is happy.

Will there be hardcore kill confirmed?

And on a mic note- why the fuck is every teenage male compelled to make me listen to bad rap? Can't hit mute all but party quick enough.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I think I would have described that more as "bending" my disc in half rather than braking, had no idea Blu-Rays were so bendy though, lol.
Haha, you're right. I was trying to snap it, but could only manage to bend it. Damn things are made a lot sturdier than DVDs.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
This only happens to me when I'm host. I'm guessing a lot of people are starting to work this out because every game I play has at least 1 host leave. Worst I've had is 3 in a row before the game even restarted (then I was made host so I quit). Treyarch really need to do something about this crap.

With the betties You can hack them as well using the black hat. It really turns the tables on those situations you're talking about. There's also time to duck under them after they're triggered.

Edit: Sooo I guess you really did it, never mind then:0
I had a class that used black hats along with engineer, but then I'm forced to rely on that one class all the time and I hate sticking with the same thing over and over again. I'm not fast enough to hit duck when I hear the Betty go off either. I tried switching my controller layout to swap knife and crouch, but that messed me up even more. After playing a certain way for 5 years, it's too hard to switch that around.

Just had a few wicked games in a row, the MCSC smg is crazy good!

And it also helps when people keep walking into a sentry gun's path and popping dragonfire on highjacked is really awesome since it's such a small map :)

Boost

Banned
A game is suppose to be fun, not frustrating. This has to be the most frustrating COD in history, and I've played them all.

There is simply no consistency in this game. You trade kill for death and I'm constantly having to monitor my back for spawn flips.

The payback spawn is the worse, you have to assume that if you kill a guy he will re-spawn within a 10 yard radius behind you, but your too scared to turn around because the current enemy spawn is in front of you, and that red dot on the mini map is headed your way. Oh yeah, you have no bouncing bettys or C4.

RIP.

Nice with the disk snapping.
I can understand it for sure. I get superpissed too, but in the end I just walk away from the game.
My last straw? Losing about 8hrs worth of work when my online profile was corrupted for some reason, and lost my gold FAL camo (among a bunch of others.)

Saw BF3 Premium Edition on sale for $29.99, and decided I needed to try something else for a while.
I think my Black Ops2 disk would be better served by trading it in for FAR CRY3, and adding used game on the market that Activision won't make money off of.

My parting shot:
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x304/Deilgyre/BlackOps2TitanicSinking.jpg

SteveWD40

They may add it, it would be ideal as you get a lot of campers in HCTDM (for obvious reasons). It's a nice change of pace though, far fewer Sprinters / SMG hipfire, being able to move slowly and be aware of your surroundings (and use Assault Rifles or Pistols...).

Dabanton

The thing I love about this game actually most FPS games is everyone has a particular hatred of something another player uses.

That what imo makes things equal at the end of the day lol

I played HCTDM pretty much exclusively throughout BlOps/MW3 and the first week or so here of Black Ops2.

It's usually a slower pace, more campier. That's out of necessity, because to be successful you need to hold "your side" of the map, to prevent the spawns from flipping or the enemy spawning behind you. Map control.
Generally people take a point and patrol an area with a few high traffic points/lines of sight, and cover those. Heavy use of claymores/betties as early warning systems. The AR is used almost exclusively. Ghost/Cold Blooded/etc...any perk that keeps your from being targeted by AI/UAVs/gun attachments is used.

While Core modes can be fun, after a while I find the gameplay to be too chaotic.

I can understand it for sure. I get superpissed too, but in the end I just walk away from the game.
My last straw? Losing about 8hrs worth of work when my online profile was corrupted for some reason, and lost my gold FAL camo (among a bunch of others.)

Saw BF3 Premium Edition on sale for $29.99, and decided I needed to try something else for a while.
I think my Black Ops2 disk would be better served by trading it in for FAR CRY3, and adding used game on the market that Activision won't make money off of.

My parting shot:

Nice photo

BlackOps2TitanicSinking.jpg

Dabanton

And on a mic note- why the fuck is every teenage male compelled to make me listen to bad rap? Can't hit mute all but party quick enough.

Seriously HC modes are like totally different games to the main MP part, I can't say it enough.

Sound becomes so much more important and because people will only fire when they actually see someone it's so much more easier to zone in on a target.

Dabanton

As for the disc snapping etc we have this shit every CoD launch. shit spawns ,certain weapons being overpowered,underpowered etc, then they fix certain things.

They should probably have a beta before launch but they know they don't need to.

Sojgat

My parting shot:

The funny thing is BF3 was unplayable most of the time during it's first 3 weeks, it was in far worse shape than Blops2 when it launched. The game shipped was plainly unfinished, and more or less remained that way for 6 months. Also Dice still hasn't fixed the spawn system in TDM mode (Noshahr Canals mode would be a more apt name), which is seemingly the blueprint for Blops2's spawns.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

My favorite is the baby crying in the background. Will somebody please put the controller down and take care of their fucking kid?!

Otherwise I LOVE this game. Having a blast, and like anything else; sometimes I get my ass handed to me, and other times I'm doing well.

Acinixys

Getting the cod severs down error over and over even though I can see friends playing. It shouldn't be this hard.

So am i. Must be a problem on their backend, or they just removed all support for CoD from Africa

- Their server status site says that every platform is 100%

All online services are enabled and fully operational.

fozzy

Well tried rebooting router and turning xbox off and on. No luck. Obviously too much to ask for a few games on my day off.

Atruvius

I've gone back to the original Modern Warfare on PS3. Awesome that so many are still playing... still the best.

I have a weird issue with my copy of it. Every time I try to launch it won't go in to the main menu. There's a screen that says "html?" you can choose "yes" or "no" and then it says to quit to the XMB. I can play if I unhook my ethernet cable from my PS3.

So very weird.

Realyn

Whoever did the Achievements is an ass. I'm tyring to complete mode by mode and right now I'm stuck at Headquarters.

Kill 50 defenders for the level 1 Achievement.

SERIOUSLY? That's only level 1. Level 3 will be like 150 kills. Off to loosing on purpose I go.

ruxtpin

Banned
So I was leveling up some in MP last night. I was playing on the Chaos Moshpit (the list that has Nuketown). I understand if you're in a game with pubs, the level of skill might be all over the place, but there was a guy on the opposing team that was like 130-40 or so. The next closest guy in kills was only at 80. Guy seemed like he was spamming the RPG and Lightning Strike, so I guess that score could happen.

Is this normal, or does it sound someone was boosting or using some nefarious bugs/glitches?

Fantasmo

So I was leveling up some in MP last night. I was playing on the Chaos Moshpit (the list that has Nuketown). I understand if you're in a game with pubs, the level of skill might be all over the place, but there was a guy on the opposing team that was like 130-40 or so. The next closest guy in kills was only at 80. Guy seemed like he was spamming the RPG and Lightning Strike, so I guess that score could happen.

Is this normal, or does it sound someone was boosting or using some nefarious bugs/glitches?
Best place for noobs is Chaos Moshpit. There's always something to shoot. Best place for pubstompers is Chaos Moshpit too. Best place for XP is Chaos Moshpit. Last night a guy was 30-0 on Nuketown before his first death. Higher scorestreaks or just repeat scorestreaks can get you tons of kills. Grab a hardpoint and get two kills and you get like 450 score to your streak. Lightning Strike is 600. Lightning Strike gives you 25 per kill. UAV or counter UAV gets you 10 per team kill, etc. Scorestreaks loop so dying isn't necessary to keep obliterating people. Its normal.

Besides you can go into your Theatre replay and watch him from the beginning. No need to sit there and wonder.

Popparoks

Guys, they found a prestige exploit already. Saw quite a few tenths last night. Low K/D, Gametime.
Funny thing about it, it involves absolutely no effort whatsoever...

new year, same shit.

NYR

Just broke my disc in half, I'm done with this fucking game.
You have bigger issues effecting your life, I think. Maybe take this opportunity to re-evaluate things...or at the very least, work on your upper body strength so you can actually snap a disc in half.

A little off topic but I've heard that skill based matchmaking has been in CoD for a while now, but even now I don't know how much of it's influence I see, still too many lopsided matches happening.

Fantasmo

Guys, they found a prestige exploit already. Saw quite a few tenths last night. Low K/D, Gametime.
Funny thing about it, it involves absolutely no effort whatsoever...

new year, same shit.
Bah who cares, its not like a 10th prestige in and of itself has any major advantages, and the game is so broken anyway let them have their fun. They'll probably get reset anyway.

Popparoks

Bah who cares, its not like a 10th prestige in and of itself has any major advantages, and the game is so broken anyway let them have their fun. They'll probably get reset anyway.

It doesn't matter to me either, honestly, i did it in MW2 for the extra classes. I don't understand how anyone would stand a CoD game for that long legitimately.

The funny thing is BF3 was unplayable most of the time during it's first 3 weeks, it was in far worse shape than Blops2 when it launched. The game shipped was plainly unfinished, and more or less remained that way for 6 months. Also Dice still hasn't fixed the spawn system in TDM mode (Noshahr Canals mode would be a more apt name), which is seemingly the blueprint for Blops2's spawns.

Yea this certainly wasn't the case with me. I had BF3 on the Xbox and the PC at launch and while it did have some problems its was FAR from the unplayable mess that is Black Ops 2. The worst problem I had with it was that it was a bitch to join a server with friends. BF3 dominates this game in every single way possible. Black ops 2 will be my last CoD game, lag compensation being the main culprit.

Fantasmo

Yea this certainly wasn't the case with me. I had BF3 on the Xbox and the PC at launch and while it did have some problems its was FAR from the unplayable mess that is Black Ops 2. The worst problem I had with it was that it was a bitch to join a server with friends. BF3 dominates this game in every single way possible. Black ops 2 will be my last CoD game, lag compensation being the main culprit.
The worst is that they deny video proof. You HAVE to bork your connection to get a decent game.
"Oh you're an entire half second behind? Oh your connection works for EVERY OTHER GAME? Nope. That's normal"
Fuck Treyarch. I ran my own tests and got my own proof. Just turn off the lag comp code. They can fix it easily. Two guys snapped their disc in this thread alone and Treyarch made $120 off that and DOES NOT CARE ONE BIT. These were fans, the reason they make money in the first place. Why anyone ever defends them is beyond me.

ruxtpin

Banned

My problem with BF3 was the catch-22 required to obtain certain weapons/vehicle unlocks.

For instance...

I'd often get killed by air support because I didn't have a weapon that would allow me to lock onto said plane/chopper, but the only way to earn the weapon that will allow me to lock onto to a target is to kill said air support. wtf?

My problem with BF3 was the catch-22 required to obtain certain weapons/vehicle unlocks.

For instance...

I'd often get killed by air support because I didn't have a weapon that would allow me to lock onto said plane/chopper, but the only way to earn the weapon that will allow me to lock onto to a target is to kill said air support. wtf?
What? The IGLA and Stinger unlocked through normal progression with the Engineer.

LowParry

Maybe I'm just lucky when it comes to connections. I've always had my 360 with forward ports and a static IP. MP with most games I've played have been really well done. It's the same with BLOP2. I'd say maybe 8/10 games I have a good solid 4 (green) bar connection and my shots are consistent. But if I get that 3 (yellow) bar connection, I can feel the difference with the lag. So I dunno. The game just needs some patch work and if it can be done, I hope it will be soon before Christmas. Almost done with my AN-94 skins! So close to getting that "golden AK" again. :D

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
COD’s are getting worse and here is why:

The Pick 10 system does nothing more than level the playing it field. It makes bad players better and great players worse. Think about it, there are so many options for the opposition to pick that I cannot set up a class to be able to protect myself. I basically have to waste most of my picks on trying to stop their B.S. instead of making myself stronger. See Flak, Mask, Engineer, Ghost, AA Rockets, Cold Blooded, Blind eye, etc. They are all to hinder the opposition. They don’t make my gun stronger or me better in gun fights.

Example, see Ghost in BO1. Everyone said it was overpowered. It was. The outcry and solution to weaken it was the poor choice. The basically turned it into 3-4 perks. The problem is, it is not 1v1 in a match. Your custom class is trying to best combat against 6+ enemies. It is impossible. You will always leave yourself open without flak or without AA Rockets or without silencer or without engineer or whatever. You can’t have everything then also equip your guns with attachment to help you win gun fights. You will have advantages in some gun fights then be at a disadvantage in others. This was not the case in MW1.

Instead, they should have made the other perks in the Ghost slot MORE powerful. Bring Back Juggs, Stopping Power, Danger Close. Even if you can use Greed wildcard and picks 2 of those, the mighty BO1 Ghost does not seem that great but it still is very viable if you want to be “off the radar,scanners, finders,etc”.

Treyarch’s new name is Weakarch. Why? Cause their idea of balancing is to weaken everything until the game is so plain and boring. Look at MW2/BO1. Guns too strong? No more Stopping Power/More recoil. Danger Close/OMA, we will get rid of them both. Shotgun Secondaries are too strong? We will Take off Stopping Power, Weaken their range, and make them primaries(wtf). Killstreaks too strong? Weaken them. Now in BO2 its Ghost, Killstreaks are harder to achieve, matchmaking is skill based, and all the maps are so small, have so many routes, and spawns switch so quick that you are always vulnerable. I was fine being vulnerable in MW2 cause I can kill enemies quick enough that I can take on multiple. The guns in this take 6-7+ bullets to kill + additional recoil in the game that I leave myself open for too long so his teammate kills me. Can’t Treyarch every make things stronger to balance a problem?

Top Bottom