• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

ruxtpin

Banned
What? The IGLA and Stinger unlocked through normal progression with the Engineer.

Yeah, but I jumped into games on the 360 where I was put on a team that was getting base-raped and I couldn't do jack shit to take down the opposition's air support. Nope. Instead I've gotta' earn the right to shoot down that plane.

So Many Bullets

Neo Member
Gun game:

That FUCKING revolver.

So hard to jump that gun. What a piece of garbage.

Yea, Executioner sucks. Priority one is get off of that thing as soon as possible, but it is so temperamental in getting a kill. Sometimes it takes one shot, other times a full mag won't do the job.

I wish the always on UAV would get disabled in Gun Game. I don't remember if BLOPS1 had the always on UAV in Gun Game.

Shadybiz

The worst problem I had with it was that it was a bitch to join a server with friends.

That was my major gripe with the game, and I gave up on it because of it. A squad-based game that made it a massive headache to actually get into games with your party intact. It seemed like they fixed it for a bit, but then it got crappy again when they introduced rented servers. Wasn't sure why they couldn't just copy/paste from BFBC2, which worked every time.

Edit: Re: Executioner: haha...god that gun. I have been trying to unlock the dual-wield for it. So tedious because the range is so awful. I have also hit people 4 times from the equivalent of 10 yds (and gotten hit markers), and they haven't gone down. Sticking to Tac-45's for pistol play.

The worst is that they deny video proof. You HAVE to bork your connection to get a decent game.
"Oh you're an entire half second behind? Oh your connection works for EVERY OTHER GAME? Nope. That's normal"
Fuck Treyarch. I ran my own tests and got my own proof. Just turn off the lag comp code. They can fix it easily. Two guys snapped their disc in this thread alone and Treyarch made $120 off that and DOES NOT CARE ONE BIT. These were fans, the reason they make money in the first place. Why anyone ever defends them is beyond me.

Yup its ridiculous, I loved this series dating back to the first CoD back when it was PC only, I have owned all of them but starting with Modern Warfare 3 I had terrible Lag compensation and the game is rendered unplayable for me and its beyond frustrating. I was a loyal Call of Duty customer but im done. Long Live the King! BF3

That was my major gripe with the game, and I gave up on it because of it. A squad-based game that made it a massive headache to actually get into games with your party intact. It seemed like they fixed it for a bit, but then it got crappy again when they introduced rented servers. Wasn't sure why they couldn't just copy/paste from BFBC2, which worked every time.

Edit: Re: Executioner: haha...god that gun. I have been trying to unlock the dual-wield for it. So tedious because the range is so awful. I have also hit people 4 times from the equivalent of 10 yds (and gotten hit markers), and they haven't gone down. Sticking to Tac-45's for pistol play.

I'll easily take that over the nonsense lag compensation. The squad issue has since been fixed for me and battlefield is back to be amazing.

Shadybiz

I'll easily take that over the nonsense lag compensation. The squad issue has since been fixed for me and battlefield is back to be amazing.

You don't say...might have to pick up premium if there is a nice sale for it in the future (I know...I know..it was on sale on Black Friday).

You don't say...might have to pick up premium if there is a nice sale for it in the future (I know...I know..it was on sale on Black Friday).

Yea its been a lot better, I mean you may get the odd occurrence of one of your teammates being on the opposition but its much better now.

I too am so mad, that I warped my 360 disc.

u5Rox.jpg

knitoe

Maybe I'm just lucky when it comes to connections. I've always had my 360 with forward ports and a static IP. MP with most games I've played have been really well done. It's the same with BLOP2. I'd say maybe 8/10 games I have a good solid 4 (green) bar connection and my shots are consistent. But if I get that 3 (yellow) bar connection, I can feel the difference with the lag. So I dunno. The game just needs some patch work and if it can be done, I hope it will be soon before Christmas. Almost done with my AN-94 skins! So close to getting that "golden AK" again. :D

9/10 I have 4 bars and I still often get the 1 sec lag statue routine during replays. If I am doing my flanking/stalking playstyle, it makes it worse. So if I want to have a 2 K/D, I need to play like a pussy and camp.

Orca

Not sure if this has been posted. A pretty in-depth way to fix lag/ lag compensation. Gonna try it at lunch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ0j10HmwUo&feature=g-u-u

All that does is give you an Open NAT, which has no affect on the speed of your game. That does affect matchmaking and being able to communicate with people though, so if you find yourself unable to hear some people or unable to connect to them it's worth doing.

Worth pointing out that pointlessly doubles up on what you need to do, opening all the relevant ports and then putting the console in the DMZ anyway - you only need to do one or the other.

This lag whining is getting to be a bit much folks. Seriously.

I have a feeling most people don't realize that one thing more than any other is having the biggest impact on your success right now. The matchmaking in this game is directly grouping people together based on their k/d ratio. This alone is making a huge difference in people feeling like things are stacked against them.

When you're in a lobby full of people all at a similar skill level you can immediately notice the difference. Everyone seems similarly skilled to you, so nothing is coming easy, and every fight is a struggle.

I was noticing it myself. I often play solo in TDM, and I'd check the lobby leaderboard and usually every single player had a k/d ratio very similar to my own. (1.4) This makes for very tough competition.

However, a friend and I partied up, got into TDM and immediately I noticed that almost everyone in the lobbies had a k/d ratio sub 1.0. What do you think my friends k/d ratio is? .90

So there you have it. Even prior to figuring this out I was noticing whenever I played with my friends I was doing much better. That's because the competition got easier, and I was destroying fools.

Yes, I've noticed lag as well and the lag compensation needs tweaking, but I think people are greatly blowing this out of proportion in a desperate struggle to explain why they're having a harder time with this game. I think the skill based matchmaking is the biggest component, the nerfing of ghost is second for many, and the lag is the third, and least important factor.

Fantasmo

I have a feeling most people don't realize that one thing more than any other is having the biggest impact on your success right now. The matchmaking in this game is directly grouping people together based on their k/d ratio. This alone is making a huge difference in people feeling like things are stacked against them.

When you're in a lobby full of people all at a similar skill level you can immediately notice the difference. Everyone seems similarly skilled to you, so nothing is coming easy, and every fight is a struggle.

I was noticing it myself. I often play solo in TDM, and I'd check the lobby leaderboard and usually every single player had a k/d ratio very similar to my own. (1.4) This makes for very tough competition.

However, a friend and I partied up, got into TDM and immediately I noticed that almost everyone in the lobbies had a k/d ratio sub 1.0. What do you think my friends k/d ratio is? .90

So there you have it. Even prior to figuring this out I was noticing whenever I played with my friends I was doing much better. That's because the competition got easier, and I was destroying fools.

Yes, I've noticed lag as well, but I think people are greatly blowing this out of proportion in a desperate struggle to explain why they're having a harder time with this game. I think the skill based matchmaking is the biggest component, the nerfing of ghost is second for many, and the lag is the third, and least important factor.
None of what you listed matters. None of it. Not one thing in there. Also, you don't get it as bad as we do or as consistently. You're wrong. You're living in a bubble. I, on the other hand, have proved it for myself and some choice posters over PM, as well as some of my friends. Try playing at someones house who is raging. Try it for yourself. Then, try BEST and opening ports and see how futile it is. You can't blame it on their connection.

Then try messing up the connection and seeing the light.

None of what you listed matters. None of it. Not one thing in there. Also, you don't get it as bad as we do or as consistently. You're wrong. You're living in a bubble. I, on the other hand, have proved it for myself and some choice posters over PM. Get over it.

Did you know that lag compensation exists in every single online shooter out there?

Also, why would I not "get it as bad" as you do? Do I have a special internet connection that's often immune from bad lag compensation?

knitoe

Yes, I've noticed lag as well, but I think people are greatly blowing this out of proportion in a desperate struggle to explain why they're having a harder time with this game. I think the skill based matchmaking is the biggest component, the nerfing of ghost is second for many, and the lag is the third, and least important factor.

Your K/D ratio should be better playing with friends even if you are playing vs better players. They provide fire support, help tell where people are coming from, watch other pathways and so on. If not, you and your friends aren't playing (camping) like a team.

Even than, the lag is still a big issue. You still will lose the one to one matchup if your mates aren't backing you up.

Yes, I've noticed lag as well and the lag compensation needs tweaking, but I think people are greatly blowing this out of proportion in a desperate struggle to explain why they're having a harder time with this game. I think the skill based matchmaking is the biggest component, the nerfing of ghost is second for many, and the lag is the third, and least important factor.
Lag compensation is real and is in this game, you may be on the "right" side of it. The problem isn't that there is lag compensation but that its applied too generously to one side. When someone has a tenth of a second advantage over you, its too much for a twitch shooter.

Fantasmo

Did you know that lag compensation exists in every single online shooter out there?
Yes I do.

BruiserBear said:
Also, why would I not "get it as bad" as you do? Do I have a special internet connection that's often immune from bad lag compensation?
You have something special, yes.
I proved it last night. I play with 6 people and I "broke" two of our connections. One guy who usually does very well must have become the chosen one because he couldn't go positive for shit last night. That guy would usually tell me to calm down. Me and my friend were giggling, meanwhile he was ready to snap his disc. "I'm done with this game if I don't go positive again next match yo. 5 games in a row. Fuck this shit yo." Lol oh how tables turn. I was nice though, I didn't ask him to calm down. Boy did he get mad.

Cell phones shouldn't be able to snag a 4 bar btw, but they do here.

It's the lag issues and maps more than anything. The betty's were just the icing on the cake. I don't get that pissed when I killed by them, but my game style doesn't help me avoid them. I only play team death match and I'm always moving. I never camp unless I'm sniping. I don't have luck in these games like other people do. I can't crouch walk everywhere and expect to do good. I always get caught from behind or the side when I do that because the SECOND I choose to play like that, a guy pops out and I'm a sitting duck. When I equip engineer, it helps avoid them, but then I get killed trying to take them out. People put them behind corners so I can't shoot them until I'm already around the corner, then it goes off and kills me or the guy is waiting for me and since my attention is on the betty, he kills me while I'm trying to shoot it. I just can't win. But like I said, the Betty's are the least of my problems. I can't count the amount of times I've point blank opened up on someone and somehow they turn and kill me. The shot guns are the worst offender. I've actually walked up to a guy from behind with one, fired it in his back, and NOTHING happened. No hit marker, nothing. He turned and knifed me. And this happens A LOT. Not just once or twice, but at least a few times a night. So yeah, I'm done with the game. It felt weird from the first time I put it in last week and tonight just sealed the deal for me.

The end.
Holy shit that pic is hilarious. I imagine you being so mad that you want to feel the cracking of the disc in your hands but instead it just bends and it infuriates you even more. LMAO

Your K/D ratio should be better playing with friends even if you are playing vs better players. They provide fire support, help tell where people are coming from, watch other pathways and so on. If not, you and your friends aren't playing (camping) like a team.

Even than, lag still the big issue. You still will lose the one to one matchup if your mates are backing you up.

Yes, and I understand that, but you're ignoring a key piece of data from my post. This isn't just about being better off with friends. This is about the actual matchmaking in this game, and how it groups you with players. I have been paying attention to this for a week now, and it's absolutely happening.

As I explained, when I'm solo I'm in lobbies full of people with very similar k/d. Matches are tough, and it's consistently a struggle for me to maintain a 1.4 k/d.

When I played with one single friend though, with a k/d of .90, suddenly the lobby is full of players with .6-.9 k/d, and I'm suddenly a beast. Lag problems or not, that had the biggest impact of all in how I was performing. When playing in those lobbies my k/d is easily 2.0+.

Lag compensation is real and is in this game, you may be on the "right" side of it. The problem isn't that there is lag compensation but that its applied too much to one side. When someone has a tenth of a second advantage over you, its too much for a twitch shooter.

Again, you don't seem to understand the fundamental facts of what you're attempting to discuss here. Lag compensation exists in EVERY shooter out there. Even games being played on dedicated servers use it. The problem is exactly how the lag compensation code is tweaked, and it could be tweaked better in this game, but lag compensation will always exist.

Pitmonkey

Engineer/Flak Jacket Black hat. Never killed by equipment other than a hail mary naid. This is the first CoD where I am sticking to a very specific set of perks. No need for marathon at all with maps this small.

I think most people here are observant and smart enough to know whether it's lag or their play/competition that's causing them to do bad.

Fantasmo

Yes, and I understand that, but you're ignoring a key piece of data from my post. This isn't just about being better off with friends. This is about the actual matchmaking in this game, and how it groups you with players. I have been paying attention to this for a week now, and it's absolutely happening.

As I explained, when I'm solo I'm in lobbies full of people with very similar k/d. Matches are tough, and it's consistently a struggle for me to maintain a 1.4 k/d.

When I played with one single friend though, with a k/d of .90, suddenly the lobby is full of players with .6-.9 k/d, and I'm suddenly a beast. Lag problems or not, that had the biggest impact of all in how I was performing. When playing in those lobbies my k/d is easily 2.0+.

Again, you don't seem to understand the fundamental facts of what you're attempting to discuss here. Lag compensation exists in EVERY shooter out there. Even games being played on dedicated servers use it. The problem is exactly how the lag compensation code is tweaked, and it could be tweaked better in this game, but lag compensation will always exist.
Half second delay on a good connection is hardly a good solution in a twitch shooter. No other game on the market reaches this level of bad. You only see yourself. I've seen both sides, therefore I can claim that, while you cannot having not been this far on this side.

Pitmonkey

I think most people here are observant and smart enough to know whether it's lag or their play/competition that's causing them to do bad.

That is the biggest stand out notion to me. One game you can go 40-5, the next, if you even break even, is a triumph. Match making is good, but it's not that good when dealing with the same players in the same lobby. From game to game while staying in the same lobby the game is inconsistent.

Edit: Oh, and I don't buy Host advantage at all in this game. When ever I'm host it is TERRIBLE.

Jack_AG

Banned

Yes it will always exist. But this is the only game where it is THIS bad.

Example: I snuck up on a poster who was posting in a hallway. I came up on him from behind and shot him point blank - i even ADS'd with my vector and with a full clip - downed him and had only 3 bullets left. That's 33 bullets to the back from point blank it took to kill him.

Every face-to-face I am in - I can get the drop - start pumping away center mass, hitmarkers galore and "pop" - sometimes I don't even see the enemy bullet. On the killcam it shows him plugging me full of bullets and me not firing at all.

Every game has lag comp but this is the ONLY game giving me issues.

I get 4 bars every time. The ONLY time I go into a positive KD is when I miraculously connect halfway across the country and wind up getting 3 bars. I feel kinda like a god that can't be killed and often hit 3+kd in those matches. So far that's happened only about 3-4 times and in those matches - i barely see people fire upon me face to face but I bet that they were plugging away on me from their end.

So... BO2 is the only game where lag comp is this bad and I do fine in every other shooter - but the only thing you can say is "every game has lag comp"? Really?

No shit? Next you will be telling everyone that "water is wet" - a true revelation that will be, I'm sure.

Spare me and everyone else, please. It's a known issue with a metric ton of videos to back it up. Hell, just Google "lag comp" - you won't find arbitrary answers - they are all links to COD-related topics.

So, yeah, this series has had it bad since MW3 and it only gets worse. I have a great connection and I am always punished for it.

There's something to be said about the developers when their game says 12/12 needs more people for balancing. There's something to be said of the developer when the "best" search preference puts your 4 bar connection in a room filled with 2 and 3 bar players.

They don't know what the fuck they are doing. They are idiots. This is my last Treyarch and last COD game I buy.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
All I know is that I do consistently well. No huge lag problems for me :D

Was playing FFA last night against a player called MEGAMAN. Apparently he has a big stream following. Holy hell, best CoD player I've played with.

PC play is so much faster than consoles.

. The matchmaking in this game is directly grouping people together based on their k/d ratio.

My K/D is only 2.25 and i play with a party sometimes with similar k/ds, but i constantly get matched up against people with lower than 1 K/D or around one. I think i've seen higher than 2 only once. In general though, most K/Ds in this game are really low. It might have to do with the inconsistency with lag compensation. I'm not playing any differently, but I lose gunfights that i should win 99% of the time when lag comp is bad. I haven't seen any k/d over 3 or 4 yet, cause most of those people have fallen into the 2 range or so. Most people have lower k/ds cause they are dying when it's not there fault because of lag comp or spawn kills etc.. Dying when it's not ur fault is the most frustrating thing ever in an online shooter.

mxgt

Banned
I don't get that impression from reading a lot of posts.

I went 42-2 the other day with a 3 bar connection and it was pretty damn obvious people just couldn't kill me

I stopped playing afterwards because I felt like a cunt playing with such an advantage.

It's such an absurd design flaw.

What the fuck? I try to boot up my first (real) match of MP on PS3 and it's continuing to search for players "searching" for games.

Really? Out of the hundreds of thousands who play the CODs you can't find 12 people for some decent matchmaking?

It's still searching as I'm typing this and I booted it up about 10 minutes ago.

I'm in Germany btw.

WTF is going on?

I went 42-2 the other day with a 3 bar connection and it was pretty damn obvious people just couldn't kill me

I stopped playing afterwards because I felt like a cunt playing with such an advantage.

Yes, and I've had the same experience playing with 4 bars. It doesn't make sense.

What I do know is that no one is ALWAYS on the losing end of these shenanigans, which is exactly what some people are suggesting.

"The game is always fucking me, and no one else". Yeah, sure.

Fantasmo

Skill based matchmaking is League Play.
Standard matchmaking is based on ping / connection.
Would be nice if you got your facts straight before you lay down the law BB.

Just to put things in perspective, I played MW3 with a friend from Germany. It was a public lobby but based on the fact that everyone was speaking German and using German names, I think it's safe to say they were hosting and I was the odd man out. I live in the fucking US for crying out loud, and I noticed no difference in anything. K/D, W/L, all felt the same. That's how bad I get hit with lag comp regularly. Starting with MW3, my typical lag comp became the same as genuine overseas lag. That's fucking insane.

(Yes, I heard lag comp was reduced in August, I care not as I traded it in to Gamestop months earlier)

And Black Ops 2 lag comp is usually worse than that.

Yeah, what pisses me off almost as badly as the lag comp is the people who it obviously doesnt affect quite as much as it affects me - telling me I'm full of shit. Oh ok. My friend always thought I was nuts till he played the game at my house the other night "dude wtf"

Yeah, exactly. Its fucking madddening and I wont play this game anymore. Cant do it. Never have I played this little this close to a launch. All my friends have done laps around me prestige wise. I dont have the patience nor am I a glutton for punishment.

BadTaste

What the fuck? I try to boot up my first (real) match of MP on PS3 and it's continuing to search for players "searching" for games.

Really? Out of the hundreds of thousands who play the CODs you can't find 12 people for some decent matchmaking?

It's still searching as I'm typing this and I booted it up about 10 minutes ago.

I'm in Germany btw.

WTF is going on?

Same but only when "Best" preference is selected.

Ryck

Was going to mention this, I played a few matches yesterday where I couldn't be killed, think I went 40-7 or something like that. I felt like I was playing the bots on low difficulty, very little satisfaction in that. I also just turned it off cause it didn't feel "right". Later when I couldn't get a kill to save my life I wondered just what the hell had gotten into me earlier.

Either way it isn't very fun you are either dominating or getting dominated.

Ryck

Wait, it's not fun now if you're winning? ....wtf?
It's not very satisfying when you know you can't die, this is why I used the analogy with the bots on a low difficulty setting. But yeah thanks for completely missing my point...

ohlawd

I put up with all the BS from MW1, MW2, BLOPS, and MW3, but it was THIS game that finally made me quit. The maps suck balls, the lag bullshit was too much, and the non stop deaths from those fucking betty's were getting ridiculous. I'm done. Going back to MW3.

So uhh no one's gonna tell him he's gonna go back to a worse game?

How does it really feel on that high horse? Do tell.

Thank you. Needed to be fucking said. Bruiser brah, just stop think and for a second. Spare just one second of your life and think before you post lol.

LowParry

It's not very satisfying when you know you can't die, this is why I used the analogy with the bots on a low difficulty setting. But yeah that's for completely missing my point...

Or you could of just had a lobby with people that are not so well with the game. It isn't always about connections. You have to have a little tact behind your play. Some people just like to run out and shoot whatever it is they see.

ecurbj

Hey GAF, what are some nice custom classes that you guys or gals run with? I've been using the Vector and the FAL a lot lately but I want to try some classes (weapons, perks, etc.) that GAF uses.

And this game can be frustrating with the 'lag compensation' but I do enjoy it every now and then. I need to play the campaign mode however.

Ryck

Or you could of just had a lobby with people that are not so well with the game. It isn't always about connections. You have to have a little tact behind your play. Some people just like to run out and shoot whatever it is they see.
Yeah it could be that, but it wasn't. Just like it isn't me being horrible when I can't get even get half the amount of kills than deaths. I think that is what people are complaining about, it isn't at all about skill or tact or any of that, it's the lag compensation that is controlling all of this. I am not saying the game is shit or anything like that in fact this has the potential to be my favorite COD. Just fix the lag compensation, that's it.

Sethos

Banned
It's super easy to distinguish bad players from good players. You KNOW you've got the lag compensation advantage when your opponents actually get in direct firefight with you at every encounter, yet you tend to win despite being quite slow to react. Just like when you're on the shitty end and it seems like they have the reaction times of a superhuman fighter pilot.

When you are dealing with shitty players, the combat boils down to shooting them in the back, catching them off-guard, shooting them from extremely predictiable positions, watch them be oblivious to a flank spot behind them, see them make the same mistake over and over again etc. you rarely get in a snapshot firefight with worse players in my experience.

Top Bottom