• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Ryck

It's super easy to distinguish bad players from good players. You KNOW you've got the lag compensation advantage when your opponents actually get in direct firefight with you at every encounter, yet you tend to win despite being quite slow to react. Just like when you're on the shitty end and it seems like they have the reaction times of a superhuman fighter pilot.

When you are dealing with shitty players, the combat boils down to shooting them in the back, catching them off-guard, shooting them from extremely predictiable positions, watch them be oblivious to a flank spot behind them, see them make the same mistake over and over again etc. you rarely get in a snapshot firefight with worse players in my experience.
Yes exactly, thank you.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I have a weird issue with my copy of it. Every time I try to launch it won't go in to the main menu. There's a screen that says "html?" you can choose "yes" or "no" and then it says to quit to the XMB. I can play if I unhook my ethernet cable from my PS3.

So very weird.

Disconnect your PS3 from the internet and it should work. When you're at the menu, reconnect the PS3.

Hickee

I played Half Life team deathmatch for about 5 years on a competitive level. For the first 2 years I was on 56k NTL dial up which, for those who may remember it, was absolutely horrific latency wise. I'm talking an average ping of around 550 to Demon UK servers and around 450+ for the Wireplay league servers from Glasgow.

I know lag. Aiming half a screen in front of your long jumping opponents who used mostly ISDN at the time and doing consistently well kind of conditions you.

I now have Virgin media 60mb and around 20 - 30 ping on average anywhere in the UK and always get 4 bar connections and around 2 in 10 games I pull host. The lag compensation in this game infuriates me, always seem to die in just 1 bullet even though I put 4 - 6 into them, the killcam shows me firing not even 1 shot. MW3 was similar but not to this extent, although I just hated that game.

Black Ops 1 I played on Sky broadband 10mb (averaged 6) which gave me a 3 bar connection every game, that was night and day compared to the 4 I get now in that game, which gives me the upper hand in most fights, yet I could handle the 3 bar and my k.d is around 2.98 or something and nearing 50k kills. MW3 which introduced me to lag compensation I think it's around 2.2. Blops 2 I struggle to keep it at 1.9 and have had to drastically alter my playstyle, I can't use smg's because if I get too close to 90% of the people I face I lose even though I get the drop on them, christ even last night a sniper popped out of a doorway, I sight up and and put 5 FAL bullets (3 should kill) in center mass, all with hitmarkers and yet I die. Killcam I was still running, not sprinting, towards the B flag.

The game with its lag compensation, for me and many others it seems, is broken.

Shadybiz

Hey GAF, what are some nice custom classes that you guys or gals run with? I've been using the Vector and the FAL a lot lately but I want to try some classes (weapons, perks, etc.) that GAF uses.

Running around with a pistol is a hell of alot of fun. I was surprised to learn that in 53 levels, the Tac-45 is apparently the best performing weapon for me.

No Primary
Tac-45 w/ laser sight + long Barrel
Secondary Gunfighter Wildcard
Lightweight
Scavenger
Engineer
Either BB or Throwing Axe (for reload emergencies)
Black Hat x 2

You could fiddle around with this a bit..sometimes I just take 1 Black Hat, no lethal, and have a Perk 3 Greed and take Extreme Conditioning. Either way, I think the base 3 perks I mentioned, Tac-45, and Black Hat work really well.

Mikey Jr.

One thing I don't understand about gungame.

How does it make sense to start with a crappy weapon, and go up from there? People with pistols get fucking slaughtered by people who get to assault rifles. Shouldnt it be the other way around?

Sethos

Banned

How does it make sense to start with a crappy weapon, and go up from there? People with pistols get fucking slaughtered by people who get to assault rifles. Shouldnt it be the other way around?

Evens out a bit as the top players get past the midway points, then all the niche and shit weapons start to appear again.

Boost

Banned
This lag whining is getting to be a bit much folks. Seriously.

I have a feeling most people don't realize that one thing more than any other is having the biggest impact on your success right now. The matchmaking in this game is directly grouping people together based on their k/d ratio. This alone is making a huge difference in people feeling like things are stacked against them.

When you're in a lobby full of people all at a similar skill level you can immediately notice the difference. Everyone seems similarly skilled to you, so nothing is coming easy, and every fight is a struggle.

I was noticing it myself. I often play solo in TDM, and I'd check the lobby leaderboard and usually every single player had a k/d ratio very similar to my own. (1.4) This makes for very tough competition.

However, a friend and I partied up, got into TDM and immediately I noticed that almost everyone in the lobbies had a k/d ratio sub 1.0. What do you think my friends k/d ratio is? .90

So there you have it. Even prior to figuring this out I was noticing whenever I played with my friends I was doing much better. That's because the competition got easier, and I was destroying fools.

Yes, I've noticed lag as well and the lag compensation needs tweaking, but I think people are greatly blowing this out of proportion in a desperate struggle to explain why they're having a harder time with this game. I think the skill based matchmaking is the biggest component, the nerfing of ghost is second for many, and the lag is the third, and least important factor.
Not true, at least for me.

I always check out the lobby leaderboards in TDM before I play, I'm currently at 1.72 (its fallen tremendously from 1.96 in the last 2 weeks) and I play against guys who are 1.9 or even higher. There is maybe 1 or 2 guys with below 1.00 but that's because they JUST got the game, there low kills accumulated and leaderboard rank shows it. The lag compensation is the biggest. I have a very good internet connection and a very low ping, and im losing firing fights left and right. Even if I shoot first, hit markers first, I still lose the battle. The PS3 version seems to be nothing more than a beta... as it always is with treyarch at the helm.

This game is FAR from balanced.

I use a pistol almost exclusively, and my KDR has been steadily climbing from 1.0 and is 1.28 now. Using it has made me be a heck of a lot more cautious in terms of where I go, and how often I dash across spaces. During one-on-one encounters in enclosed spaces I tend to nail the enemies before they get me.

Edit: Whoops. I thought you were saying you don't understand something about the game, not gungame. Ignore me.

ecurbj

Running around with a pistol is a hell of alot of fun. I was surprised to learn that in 53 levels, the Tac-45 is apparently the best performing weapon for me.

No Primary
Tac-45 w/ laser sight + long Barrel
Secondary Gunfighter Wildcard
Lightweight
Scavenger
Engineer
Either BB or Throwing Axe (for reload emergencies)
Black Hat x 2

You could fiddle around with this a bit..sometimes I just take 1 Black Hat, no lethal, and have a Perk 3 Greed and take Extreme Conditioning. Either way, I think the base 3 perks I mentioned, Tac-45, and Black Hat work really well.
Thanks, bro. Playing with that configuration right now and I got to say, I'm loving it.

Fantasmo

Not true, at least for me.

I always check out the lobby leaderboards in TDM before I play, I'm currently at 1.72 (its fallen tremendously from 1.96 in the last 2 weeks) and I play against guys who are 1.9 or even higher. There is maybe 1 or 2 guys with below 1.00 but that's because they JUST got the game, there low kills accumulated and leaderboard rank shows it. The lag compensation is the biggest. I have a very good internet connection and a very low ping, and im losing firing fights left and right. Even if I shoot first, hit markers first, I still lose the battle. The PS3 version seems to be nothing more than a beta... as it always is with treyarch at the helm.

This game is FAR from balanced.
That's NOT only the PS3 version. I bought PS3 MW3 and 360 BO2. I'm experiencing worse lag comp in BO2. Its the lag comp its not a PS3 vs 360 situation. Also I had both versions of BO and I had similar KD in both games and similar (but much less lag comp) issues.

I wouldn't have gone to the extremes I have in BO2 if it hadn't gotten SO much worse.

Gold camo on guns man. It never fails that I will get bloodthirsty medals every single game up to when I can actually start unlocking the extra camos. But as soon as I need the bloodthirsty medals I can never get them. It never fails. It's always a lightning strike or me just sucking.

Also, getting one hit kills with the semi auto shotguns is a bitch.

Gold camo on guns man. It never fails that I will get bloodthirsty medals every single game up to when I can actually start unlocking the extra camos. But as soon as I need the bloodthirsty medals I can never get them. It never fails. It's always a lightning strike or me just sucking.

I feel your pain. I got so close on the SWAT last night. 2 double kills and 1 bloodthirsty away...

Acinixys

Revenge spawns are RETARDED, especially on carrier. Killed the same guy 14 times in a row because the game kept spawning him in the same spot behind me. I actually felt bad for him.

You have to have you gun up the guys ass to get a 1 hit KO with the semi auto shotties. Its mad

I'm on the Xbox 360 version of the game and my console keeps freezing while loading the maps. I've heard of this for the PS3, but not for the 360. Is there a fix?

Edit: I've narrowed it down to Hijacked being the only map that doesn't load. It could be my disk, but it has only one small scratch and I haven't taken it out of my 360 since putting it in.

Edit 2: Clean sock and some chapstick, and the game is running like a champ. I'll probably have to install it to my hard drive though.

Ryck

Kinda falling in love with Hardcore TDM. Love the pace and the lack of a radar, played a few matches and even if I am not doing great I enjoy the actual gameplay much more.

Jack_AG

Banned
Nah, you can talk about it. :)

Put all my torrents on to seed, no lag and getting 2-3 KDs all the time. Nice work 3ark

Checking peoples top 5 weapons

SMG
SMG
SMG
SMG
Sniper

I see a problem
Top 5 for killing me are 2 ARs and 3 SMGs. MTAR takes the no.1 spot for me. Sniper Rifles haven't even broken 3 digits yet.

Fantasmo

Nah, you can talk about it. :)

Put all my torrents on to seed, no lag and getting 2-3 KDs all the time. Nice work 3ark

SMG
SMG
SMG
SMG
Sniper

I see a problem
Glad to see others spreading the word. Maybe they'll fix lag comp if everyone fucks with them. Or not.

I see there's a sale on Unreal Tournament pack on steam. I wonder if anyone plays 2004 onslaught still?

Sad how I want a 60fps carnage game but I can't find a decent one these days. I have vanilla BF3 pc but it seems too slow for me and I can't figure out what the heck to do.

eek5

SMG
SMG
SMG
SMG
Sniper

I see a problem

Not over here.

yNtTE.png

Jarmel

Banned
I have a feeling most people don't realize that one thing more than any other is having the biggest impact on your success right now. The matchmaking in this game is directly grouping people together based on their k/d ratio. This alone is making a huge difference in people feeling like things are stacked against them.

Has this actually been confirmed? I haven't seen any evidence in favor of this. I have a 2.2 KDR and will still run across guys with .8 KDRs.

Engineer + blackhat is amazing at finding campers

Blow up their equipment with the black hat and then gun them down when they freak out and run to the door/window

Fantasmo

Has this actually been confirmed? I haven't seen any evidence in favor of this. I have a 2.2 KDR and will still run across guys with .8 KDRs.

About ten people have told him to stop posting misinformed misleading information and you're listening to him. Why don't you look at my response to him. Or just check yourself.

The answer is no. Unless you're in league play in which case the answer is yes, and it only tracks Win/Lose and not Kill/Death.

Jarmel

Banned
About ten people have told him to stop posting misinformed misleading information and you're listening to him. Why don't you look at my response to him. Or just check yourself.

The answer is no. Unless you're in league play in which case the answer is yes, and it only tracks Win/Lose and not Kill/Death.

He's not the only person to have said that. I've heard numerous people say that.

David Vonderharr said it himself apparently. rather than matching you up with guys strictly around your level, what matchmaking could be doing is forming teams so that both teams are "equal" in terms of skilled and non skilled players. So both teams could each have 1 good player each, 2 okay ones, and 3 bad players, or just 1 good player each team and the rest bad, just as long as things even out in the end.

edit: so it isn't true? I'll check for myself later, but whether skilled based matchmaking plays a part in anything or not doesn't bother me tbh.

MechDX

You don't really need Target Finder.
No one does.

Suppressor is nice.

Target Finder on the LSAT is awesome. I love listening to snipers rage when they stick their heads up just enough for the red square to appear for a second and then unload on whatever they are hiding behind with the LSAT with FMJ.

"Fuck your FMJ!!"

Target Finder on the LSAT is awesome. I love listening to snipers rage when they stick their heads up just enough for the red square to appear for a second and then unload on whatever they are hiding behind with the LSAT with FMJ.

"Fuck your FMJ!!"

Target Finder on all of the LMG's is really good.

redhot_

Call of Duty: Get Shot in the Back Ops 2. fuck this game.

These so called "revenge spawns" or just horrible spawns to begin with are ridiculous. Such a bad idea.

Fantasmo

He's not the only person to have said that. I've heard numerous people say that.

That's because a lot of people hear a rumbling but don't check the facts!

Vahn:

You can change your Matchmaking search preferences when selecting a Playlist to join with the X/Square/Keyboard shortcut. This places an upper limit on the ping/latency of the lobby/game you will join. Read the descriptions carefully. You may end up waiting a long time and possibly never finding a lobby. It’s the Internet. Things change fast. Hosts can migrate, an upstream ISP drops a routing table. Whatever. But, I assure you, at the time of the search, it’s putting you in the best lobby it can from the available search results. No matter what you forum post you read or what YT video you watched, connection is king at all times above all other criteria. We continue to evaluate improvements to matchmaking. Anything in the game that generates more traffic than it should, will get beat down.

This is an official statement from DV.

Anyway, check the lobbies and tell me what you guys think. I've seen level 1 solo players, horrible kd players, the whole gamut. Even if it's weighed, it must be low on the scale of matchmaking because I constantly see really low ranked, bad players. Sometimes a lobby full of them.

Now what everybody is referring to, is probably League Play:

League Play is a new matchmaking system in Call of Duty Black Ops II. This system will allow players to play against people around the world on their own skill level. Instead of waiting for friends to get online, creating clans, or playing against unbalanced skill levels, people can play on a leveled field every time.

When starting League Play, the player will play in a series of five placement matches. After the matches, each player will be placed into one of the following skill divisions (descending order):

Masters
Platinum
Gold
Silver
Bronze
Iron

All Weapons, Attachments, Equipment, and Scorestreaks will be available in Create A Class. Set up the perfect classes without having to reach level 55 first. Since everything is available (except Camo), weapons will not increase in level. Rank Levels will only increase by 1000 if a match is won and 500 if a match is lost. Winning or losing a match will also affect a player's rank in their division.

That, to me, seems heavily weighed towards player capability. Win everything get into Masters. Lose everytime, Iron.

fuenf

fuck I lost today's progress :( thought they had that shit figured out, game was laggy as hell too (first time in more than a week).

While League Play is intended to be skill based, it really isn't cause only 800 people or so are on it at one time, so they just match up whoever can match up cause theres never enough people to form proper lobbies.

eek5

While League Play is intended to be skill based, it really isn't cause only 800 people or so are on it at one time, so they just match up whoever can match up cause theres never enough people to form proper lobbies.

Even early morning in moshpit I see about 1300 on 360. I think the biggest issue is that you can matchmake into moshpit with a team because skill matchmaking doesn't really work when a full squad is playing a bunch of random people that happen to be available at that time.

Also, because you really have NOTHING to play for if you're losing, all the tryhards just quit after a minute if they aren't winning.

My experience after 20+ matches of league is basically you either win by a lot or you lose by a lot. Competitive matches have been nowhere to be found.

Top Bottom