• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Ryck

Played some COD4 today, man that game is still really fantastic. Wish Mw2 didn't have so much nonsense or else I could go back to that more often as well.

Thought I'd chime in about BO2. For me anyway it's totally a valid purchase, but I could see where people feel ripped off if online MP is all they play. Between the campaign, zombies and custom Lan/online MP with bots and friends I feel like I have gotten my money's worth. However I find that I have sort of given up on MP, I will play it from time to time, but I don't see myself putting in the amount of time and effort as in past games. I hit level 55 and I have no plans to prestige whatsoever.

Edit: Course if they fix the LC I might get back into it, will just have to see.

impact

Banned
So sad seeing you guys cheer the first day to crying about it now. I held off Blops 2 just because of lag comp.I just dont see the point. How bad is it anyway?

Awful for me. I feel like this is the worst netcode I've ever used in an AAA game. 90% of my killcams are absolutely not what I saw on my screen.

edit:

ZCB1M.jpg

Nothing has changed from Blops 1 to 2 except the netcode is a joke. I can't kill people in this game for shit.

Halcyon

I think my time with this game is coming to an end. I find that maybe 1 out of 5 matches is fair with the lag.

I'm to the point where I know the maps like the back of my hand and I'm playing well running the correct lines and putting myself in a position to win gunfights but most of the time I'm .5 second behind the other team.

It is infuriating going from 25-10 to 9-17 match to match. I don't camp or snipe so I'm at a disadvantage in any engagement that doesn't involve me shooting a guy straight on.

Anyway most of the time the game just annoys me and I'm not having a good time. I really feel like the game is fucking me over most of the time so I can never get a good grasp of advancing skillsets or anything.

Boost

Banned
My ping is 14 and even with quick draw I have a hard time pulling off shots faster than my opponents. My NAT is open too, ports forwarded.

It doesn't matter what gun, perk, attachment - hell, even strategy I use, lag comp and hit detection issues keep me from being consistent in this game.

I'm trying real hard to like this game, giving it MORE benefit of the doubt than Black Ops 1 (I sold it after 2 weeks), but there is something wrong, and I know it cant be me or my connection. If I put in MW3 or MW2 I have a constant, stable connection. My bullets hit on impact, very few hit markers.

At the end of the day, it's not me vs. the enemy, its me vs. treyarch servers, and they're winning... every damn time.

popeutlal

My ping is 14 and even with quick draw I have a hard time pulling off shots faster than my opponents. My NAT is open too, ports forwarded.

It doesn't matter what gun, perk, attachment - hell, even strategy I use, lag comp and hit detection issues keep me from being consistent in this game.

I'm trying real hard to like this game, giving it MORE benefit of the doubt than Black Ops 1 (I sold it after 2 weeks), but there is something wrong, and I know it cant be me or my connection. If I put in MW3 or MW2 I have a constant, stable connection. My bullets hit on impact, very few hit markers.

At the end of the day, it's not me vs. the enemy, its me vs. treyarch servers, and they're winning... every damn time.
It sounds silly but try closing the ports, I had moderate NAT and enemies' reaction time was same as mine, I opened a the ports for the open NAT and saw I couldn't react as fast as the enemies. Damn lag condensation.

PSYGN

They can put all the competitive junk they want in this game, but what's the point when the hit detection is so garbage. Seriously, did they not look at Black Ops flakey hit detection? Was there no one there that saw that this netcode wouldn't be able to keep up with the now frenetic pacing of the game? Shit blows my mind how something like this can go unnoticed by the multiplayer devs, but they probably shrugged and didn't think much of it as they probably just tested locally and didn't see anything. Knock on IW's door if you need help, Treyarch. MW3 plays smooth as butter for me, but not this game. Do something, because the hit detection has never been more ugly -- whatever hitbox algorithm Treyarch is using just can't keep up with the action. It's as if a ghost of me is trailing behind me and bullets come in sudden packs in many of the matches.

Awful for me. I feel like this is the worst netcode I've ever used in an AAA game. 90% of my killcams are absolutely not what I saw on my screen.

Nothing has changed from Blops 1 to 2 except the netcode is a joke. I can't kill people in this game for shit.

see, this is what I have been going through so I feel your pain, it's like I went from being good to not knowing how to play the game in the month it came out....

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Watch this stream and the many like it. THIS is how the game usually plays.
http://www.twitch.tv/rambo

The lag people are bitching about in this thread isn't "normal." It's there sometimes, but not always. People experiencing it all the time are having some "other" issue.

Edit: LOL of course the moment I link the stream he gets a bad match.

Watch this stream and the many like it. THIS is how the game usually plays.
http://www.twitch.tv/rambo

The lag people are bitching about in this thread isn't "normal." It's there sometimes, but not always. People experiencing it all the time are having some "other" issue.

Edit: LOL of course the moment I link the stream he gets a bad match.

Lag compensation is everywhere in the game and it's always there. Sometime its in your favor sometimes it isn't

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lag compensation is everywhere in the game and it's always there. Sometime its in your favor sometimes it isn't

Sounds like an excuse to me. Consistency will always prevail.

I'm beginning to think "lag compensation" is a buzz word people like to throw around when they get killed. Just like "host," "Camper" or any other excuse they can use to save their pride.

I'm beginning to think "lag compensation" is a buzz word people like to throw around when they get killed. Just like "host," "Camper" or any other excuse they can use to save their pride.

oh Stop it, so you are saying I'm just not good enough since I can't keep an 2 when I had a 2.66 in BO1 and its ?

It's a fact that I can't keep a 2 in this game because i'm guaranteed to die over some bs at some point .

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
oh Stop it, so you are saying I'm just not good enough since I can't keep an 2 when I had a 2.66 in BO1 and its ?

It's a fact that I can't keep a 2 in this game because i'm guaranteed to die over some bs at some point .

This isn't Black ops 1. Some mechanics are different, the maps are different and the game just came out. Consistency will trump game mechanics in terms of things effecting you. Even if what you're complaining about is in game, it effects everyone not just you.

From my experience people are more likely to blame something outside their control for their failure before they blame themselves.

It's always been that way, ever since there were games you could play against other people.

Halcyon

No. It is very noticeable from match to match and lobby to lobby. Sometimes the game plays like its supposed to. Most of the time though the other players are rounding corners and shooting you in real time' before you seen them on your screen.

There is no way to just be awesome in that situation unless you are psychic. And its bullshit.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
No. It is very noticeable from match to match and lobby to lobby. Sometimes the game plays like its supposed to. Most of the time though the other players are rounding corners and shooting you in real time' before you seen them on your screen.

There is no way to just be awesome in that situation unless you are psychic. And its bullshit.

"Most of the time" is a load of bullshit. Again, if the issue is the game, it effects everyone, not just you. So consistency will show in your stats.

Also, like I said, watch the streams on twitch, they jive with my own experience, MOST games aren't an issue, although sometimes the game lags like a bitch.

With that, I'm done "defending" the game. People gonna bitch when they die, that's how it is.

Halcyon

This isn't Black ops 1. Some mechanics are different, the maps are different and the game just came out. Consistency will trump game mechanics in terms of things effecting you. Even if what you're complaining about is in game, it effects everyone not just you.

From my experience people are more likely to blame something outside their control for their failure before they blame themselves.

It's always been that way, ever since there were games you could play against other people.

That's where you are wrong. It very clearly effects one team during the match over the other.

You can't talk about consistancy when the lag comp is so very inconsistent. That's the point. One match the game is working. The next nobody you shoot at dies and they kill you a millisecond after you see them on your screen.

No, the game is different but the same basic applies(it's COD and it plays the same freaking way since COD4), you freaking aim and shoot but when I aim before a guy, shoot him and he just turns around and shoots me that has nothing to do with game mechanics it's lag.

Halcyon

"Most of the time" is a load of bullshit. Again, if the issue is the game, it effects everyone, not just you. So consistency will show in your stats.

Also, like I said, watch the streams on twitch, they jive with my own experience, MOST games aren't an issue, although sometimes the game lags like a bitch.

With that, I'm done "defending" the game. People gonna bitch when they die, that's how it is.

You and whatever twitch stream must just be on the positive side of the lag comp a majority of the time based on your matchmaking.

Some days are better than others but like today for example I didn't have a single match where it wasn't laggy as hell. I tend not to be on the advantageous side of it.

That being said I don't really give a shit about your anecdotal opinions because it is a real issue.

LowParry

I'll admit most of my matches are great. Just as long as I don't have the 3 yellow of doom, I'm set. Though yesterday was probably my worse day of playing. Really frustrating so I know how others feel with the same situation. But I wouldn't write the game off until we see what a patch will do with the game.

Boost

Banned

Ok, David.

IISANDERII

Just played some MW3. Wow what a difference, it's like driving a true sports car while black ops is the old beater. Mw is so much smoother, precise and faster. You get hit markers almost instantly, while in Blackops it feels like it takes 3x as long.
Don't misunderstand, BO still better than any other shooter I've tried so it's still a very good game that I'll be playing for many hours.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Just played some MW3. Wow what a difference, it's like driving a true sports car while black ops is the old beater. Mw is so much smoother, precise and faster. You get hit markers almost instantly, while in Blackops it feels like it takes 3x as long.
Don't misunderstand, BO still better than any other shooter I've tried so it's still a very good game that I'll be playing for many hours.

Wait, how can that be? They have the same netcode!

lulzy.

So I just played multiplayer for the first time and played Yemen and it was a total sniperfest. Literally can't walk down a pathway without a sniper already camping with his sights.

Are most of the maps like this? Or is Yemen especially sniper friendly?

cameltoe

There is something very wrong with this game. (XB360 open nat blah blah)

I went back to MW3 for a week or so, used one of my spare accounts from my family pack and went to work. Stopped at level 80.

MW3 KDR is 3.907 (TDM KDR is 5.16) I aim, shoot, they die.....sadly thats not the case with BO2. Aim, shoot....shoot some more....umm WTF! click click...I die! KC shows me just standing there!!!!

Game is broken for me....Only way to make it playable is to over load my connection. If I load up 1080p HD you tube vid on my puter while I play on the 360 I get favorable lag comp...my bullets register and things go as I expect. But even then I need to run 2 streams at the same time to get it just right...pain in the ass just to play a game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I know you kids don't read, but if you bought from Amazon with the Kindle promotion the promo is going out right now. My "code" just came in.

Magik

I think my time with this game is coming to an end. I find that maybe 1 out of 5 matches is fair with the lag.

I'm to the point where I know the maps like the back of my hand and I'm playing well running the correct lines and putting myself in a position to win gunfights but most of the time I'm .5 second behind the other team.

It is infuriating going from 25-10 to 9-17 match to match. I don't camp or snipe so I'm at a disadvantage in any engagement that doesn't involve me shooting a guy straight on.

Anyway most of the time the game just annoys me and I'm not having a good time. I really feel like the game is fucking me over most of the time so I can never get a good grasp of advancing skillsets or anything.

My feelings exactly. It just feels as if the game is punishing me and forcing me to adopt a more conservative play style. What to run and gun? Not when you're a whole second behind!

I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of host migrations I've been seeing constantly is simply people realizing that once you're host, you're just fucked.

So what are the theories as to BLOPS 2 netcode is so much worse than BLOPS 1? What is causing the difference?

You're begging the question.

I have the lowest tier of internet service that my cable provider offers and I have been frustrated with the hit detection exactly once in....19 hours played. I'm not a great player-I'm sitting at 1.36 KDR and having a blast.

Clearly several people in this thread are having significant issues with their connections to the game-I'm not questioning that. What I am concerned with however, is the broad assumption that there is something fundamentally wrong with the netcode. Every online title like this is going to have aberrant events such as theater replays that don't match your experience etc....I don't doubt that people are getting frustrated, but do we need to go through this every single time a COD game comes out? These threads are so often filled with people complaining about how their connections are terrible etc....this isn't a situation isolated to BLOPS 2. The posters may be different but the sentiment remains. Online play continues to mature and it's not going to happen overnight.

I had a terrible time with MW3, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it was the lag compensation. In my opinion the multiplayer in MW3 sucked...but that's just an opinion...it doesn't need to be treated as gospel.

Card Boy

Banned
Do you get any more Strike teams for the Strike Force missions? I retried on FOB Spector and did it the second time, and completed Shipwreck the first time. Do i need to rewind the story before continuing?

You're begging the question.

I have the lowest tier of internet service that my cable provider offers and I have been frustrated with the hit detection exactly once in....19 hours played. I'm not a great player-I'm sitting at 1.36 KDR and having a blast.

Clearly several people in this thread are having significant issues with their connections to the game-I'm not questioning that. What I am concerned with however, is the broad assumption that there is something fundamentally wrong with the netcode. Every online title like this is going to have aberrant events such as theater replays that don't match your experience etc....I don't doubt that people are getting frustrated, but do we need to go through this every single time a COD game comes out? These threads are so often filled with people complaining about how their connections are terrible etc....this isn't a situation isolated to BLOPS 2. The posters may be different but the sentiment remains. Online play continues to mature and it's not going to happen overnight.

I had a terrible time with MW3, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it was the lag compensation. In my opinion the multiplayer in MW3 sucked...but that's just an opinion...it doesn't need to be treated as gospel.

Man, I have a decent connection and i'm telling you that there is a is a real problem when I have 4 bars and I consider myself fairly good at playing COD and I light the guy in front of me up just for him to turn and drop me with 2 or 3 bullets. Lag compensation has to go. IF I have 4 green bars and I shoot first I should get the kill 90% of the time not 50% of the time.

I played BO(2.66) and MW3(2.23) just fine on the same connection, the problem is with the game not my connection.

And I agree MW3 was a stepback from BO but it ran better most of the time.

Xux

So I just played multiplayer for the first time and played Yemen and it was a total sniperfest. Literally can't walk down a pathway without a sniper already camping with his sights.

Yemen has all the long sight lines that everyone complains this game and the last game's maps were missing which is why everyone hates it.
So what are the theories as to why BLOPS 2 netcode is so much worse than BLOPS 1? What is causing the difference?
Feels like they turned the lag compensation and aim assist way down. Hopefully a patch can bring it back to MW2 levels.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Put about 50 more hours into multi, and you'll find snipers aren't all that common, at least not on PC.

Turbine is the most common place to find them, at any rate.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I just can't stop raging sometimes. I mean, the core gameplay itself is fun, but the net code shit and the framerate drops (PS3) are so bad I don't even know which of 'em are happening.

I check my connection, it's at three bars, good enough. But try and shoot someone, and boom! Framerate drops and I see my connection is still at three bars. So I attribute that to framerate stuttering or whatnot.

At other times, though, my connection jumps from two bars to four bars in one match! Such a shit moment that everything jumps that you don't have an alternative but to just quit.

Makes me wonder how outlets will review CoD games when they're not at "review events," and review it at home with regular people. In saying that, MP-focused games should be reviewed like that. You can't compare a two-hour "review" session for MP with what regular people will experience on day one.

My 1.5 K/D ratio in the game should be higher if Treyarch fixes their shit. Hopefully, the update for PS3 later will alleviate some of the problems.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
My feelings exactly. It just feels as if the game is punishing me and forcing me to adopt a more conservative play style. What to run and gun? Not when you're a whole second behind!

I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of host migrations I've been seeing constantly is simply people realizing that once you're host, you're just fucked.

Did that before. Made me rage the whole time. Now I just use the FAL and kill people since meeting people head-on is like rolling the dice; sometimes you win, sometimes you're not even shooting at 'em. ;)

There is something very wrong with this game. (XB360 open nat blah blah)

I went back to MW3 for a week or so, used one of my spare accounts from my family pack and went to work. Stopped at level 80.

MW3 KDR is 3.907 (TDM KDR is 5.16) I aim, shoot, they die.....sadly thats not the case with BO2. Aim, shoot....shoot some more....umm WTF! click click...I die! KC shows me just standing there!!!!

Game is broken for me....Only way to make it playable is to over load my connection. If I load up 1080p HD you tube vid on my puter while I play on the 360 I get favorable lag comp...my bullets register and things go as I expect. But even then I need to run 2 streams at the same time to get it just right...pain in the ass just to play a game.

Exactly! I've had tons of instances where I was rocking the Skorpion SMG and was running around and jump-shotting only to see myself literally NOT jump in the kill-cam. Yeesh. Such an ass move.

Dedicated servers will only come to CoD once Activision sees it as a necessity = playerbase starting to trickle down, etc.

Either I get kills I shouldn't or I unload a whole FAL clip on someone before they drop. Hard to be in between. It's just, I dunno, very frustrating to play the game and you know it's not you, but the game's shitty net code or whatever voodoo Treyarch did to the PS3 version.

GenericUser

CoD seems to become a victim of the zelda cycle.

1st: CoD comes out -> people claim its shit

2nd: New CoD comes out -> the previous games was awesome, new game is shit!

repeat step 2

I check my connection, it's at three bars, good enough. But try and shoot someone, and boom! Framerate drops and I see my connection is still at three bars. So I attribute that to framerate stuttering or whatnot.

You shouldn't play with three bars, it's a lot worse that four bars compared to previous CoDs.

fuenf

The PS3 version just got patched: http://community.callofduty.com/message/413598388#413598388

6 Dec 2012 – PS3 Game Update (1.04) Notes:

New Features & Feature Improvements

Added support for posting Live Stream URLs to Twitter.
Improved audio/rumble responsiveness when hitting enemies with gunfire.
Improved overall communication of Double XP when enabled.
AAR better communicates how much XP was earned in each match.
Added the ability to "View League Teams" from any player's Playercard.
Added the ability to “View Playercard” from League solo leaderboards.
Added a number of security system enhancements.
Added Hardcore Kill Confirmed playlist to the Hardcore category

Issues Addressed

Fixed a rare hang (“Awaiting Textures”) upon loading into maps when joining a session in progress after fresh boot.
Game now resets the Care Package for a non-owner if the owner re-rolls the package using the Engineer perk.
Players with Black Hat PDA can no longer hack a Care Package faster than the owner can capture it.
Addressed an exploit where modified console hackers could maliciously spread infected films to other users.
Added a fail-safe to prevent spawn trapping in CTF.
Increased sight checks on turrets to improve spawning algorithms.
Fixed a number of new UI error messages reported by users.
Addressed a number of issues that would cause friendly/enemy color indicators on equipment and scorestreaks to display as the wrong team.
Improved overall Theater and Live Streaming stability.
Improved film rendering stability and made progression bar more accurate while rendering a film.
Addressed issues which prevented some master challenges from being completed.
Precision challenge “Wet Work” will now unlock with 10 kills.
The wins challenge will now account for all FFA modes when ending a match with a tie (if you are in the top 3).
Players that help with the “Synchronized Attack” challenge now get credit for it.
Players will not be able to manually take control of their AGR if they die at the exact moment that their AGR deploys.
Emblem Editor no longer closes the current emblem when discarding changes.
Players using Ghost will no longer be invisible at all times in Custom Games with the mini-map option set to “constant”.
Players using Ghost and a Suppressor attachment will no longer appear on the enemy’s minimap while shooting and moving while a UAV is up.
The median for the K/D graph in the AAR is set to 1.0 instead of 0.0.
Players can no longer get on top of the shrubs in Nuketown 2025.
Thermal vision overlay no longer appears using the VTOL glitch.
Kills from the explosion on the explosive crossbow bolt now count towards challenges.
Counter UAV no longer remains for the rest of the game after a host migration.
Clan tag is no longer locked immediately after prestige.
Offline profiles can no longer be exploited to join online games when an online profile is also signed in.
Multi-team games no longer count as a tie if an entire team quits.
Fixed an area in Express where K9 Unit dogs could get stuck.
EMP grenades no longer affect the CODcaster HUD.
Party Privacy count no longer affects how many bots will spawn in Combat Training.
Shadows seen through sniper scopes now render more correctly.
Players can no longer stand on invisible collision in Carrier.
“Drop Shot” medal is no longer awarded after standing back up.
Players can now copy a custom class to the extra prestige slot.

Gameplay Balancing

The following is a list of numerous gameplay balancing tweaks that were made after thorough review of statistical data from usage patterns of weapons, equipment, perks and scorestreaks since launch.
Scorestreaks:

UAV: cost increased from 350 to 425.
Lightning Strike: added 750ms delay

Equipment/grenades:

Bouncing Betty: increased the grace period between trigger and activation by 200ms.
Sensor Grenade: increased the range (now 1000 units), frequency (now 800ms between pings), and amount of time (now 6s) that players appear after explosion.
Concussion Grenade: decreased movement penalty and turn speed penalty when hit.

SMGs:

All: increased hip fire recoil.
All: increased max hip fire spread from 4.75 to 5.
All: reduced bullet penetration.
MSMC: increased recoil slightly.
PDW-57: increased recoil slightly.

Assault rifles:

All: reduced idle sway for more reliable long-range aiming.
XM8: reduced lethal range of 3-hit kills from 250 to 50 inches.
XM8 + Select Fire: increased recoil.
FAL OSW + Select Fire: increased recoil.
SWAT-556 + Select Fire: increased recoil.
MTAR: Made auto aim values consistent with all other assault rifles.

Sniper Rifles:

All: increased hip fire spread.
All + Laser Sight: increased hip fire spread.
XPR-50: increased recoil slightly.

Shotguns:

R870: reduced one-hit kill range by 45 inches.

Pistols

B23R: reduced headshot multiplier from 1.4 to 1.
KAP-40: reduced headshot multiplier from 1.4 to 1

Top Bottom