• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

aku:jiki

Interesting. I wonder what kind of gun changes they'll make.
Considering how Vahn usually fixes shit, he's going to improve SMG hipfire accuracy, make LMGs heavier and give them less damage, make all shotguns 4-hit kills and double the speed of sniper scope-in.

LowParry

Considering how Vahn usually fixes shit, he's going to improve SMG hipfire accuracy, make LMGs heavier and give them less damage, make all shotguns 4-hit kills and double the speed of sniper scope-in.

So all is well with assault weapons. Excellent.

Dirtsaw

What? MW3 is laggy as shit.

It started with the new netcode they added in BO1, which was likely to accomodate theater mode, though somehow BO1 wasn't as bad as MW3 and BO2. IW broke the netcode even more in MW3 and for some reason, Treyarch used IW's "upgrades" for BO2.

Yep I was starting to accept that quitting once in a while to try a different lobby was just how it was. But BO2 is broken. More bail outs than finishing is not fun. I'm out.

knitoe

What? MW3 is laggy as shit.

It started with the new netcode they added in BO1, which was likely to accomodate theater mode, though somehow BO1 wasn't as bad as MW3 and BO2. IW broke the netcode even more in MW3 and for some reason, Treyarch used IW's "upgrades" for BO2.

Last weekend, on X360, I played a few hours of BO2 then MW3 then MW2 back to back. BO2 had plenty of WTF lag moments. I didn't notice much of a difference in lag or hit dectection between MW2 or MW3. And, that have been my past experience with both of them, probably 40 days or more played for each. As for BO1, I remember my friends and I felt we wasted money on that game due to the shitty lag / hit dectection and we went right back to playing MW2. So, when my friends asked me if they should be BO2, I told them fuck NO with same issues as BO1.

Cudder

Guess ill share a few of my emblems i created.

UlBHz.png

All these seem to show up alot darker then ingame.

When I get the game I WILL make this emblem. Wow.

When I logged on last night (Xbox 360) I magically had an open NAT. It's been strict since day one. I tried while playing MW3 to open it without any luck and now it's open. I had some very good matches with the FAL also. It seems that the aim assist is cranked up on that gun.

Last weekend, on X360, I played a few hours of BO2 then MW3 then MW2 back to back. BO2 had plenty of WTF lag moments. I didn't notice much of a difference in lag or hit dectection between MW2 or MW3. And, that have been my past experience with both of them, probably 40 days or more played for each. As for BO1, I remember my friends and I felt we wasted money on that game due to the shitty lag / hit dectection and we went right back to playing MW2. So, when my friends asked me if they should be BO2, I told them fuck NO with same issues as BO1.
You had lucky matches in MW3 then, or something. All games since BO1 have had the same netcode, MW2 was the last one with Quake 3 engine netcode in it (which is why it was so good). MW3 is just as bad as BO2 overall. I'm actually playing it as I type and the last match made me want to Hulk Smash my entire apartment, I couldn't kill a single fucking member of the enemy team because they were all a full second ahead of me. :mad:

KaYotiX

Banned
Am I crazy, or am I noticing SMGs killing in less hits at medium/long range than some assault rifles? Shouldn't those things be close/medium range? If my rifle kills in 5 shots at long range your SMG shoudn't also kill in 5 shots at the same range.
Smgs are bullshit. Needs a fix asap

knitoe

You had lucky matches in MW3 then, or something. All games since BO1 have had the same netcode, MW2 was the last one with Quake 3 engine netcode in it (which is why it was so good). MW3 is just as bad as BO2 overall. I'm actually playing it as I type and the last match made me want to Hulk Smash my entire apartment, I couldn't kill a single fucking member of the enemy team because they were all a full second ahead of me. :mad:

I have about 40 days total playtime in MW3 so I wouldn't remotely call it getting lucky matches. And, it's not just me. I mostly play the game with a few friends.

eek5

Smgs are bullshit. Needs a fix asap

He is wrong though.

blackopsiiweaponstatist.png

To put it into perspective: 53 is where FAL switches from 2-3 hk which is pretty close range. 123 is where SMR switches from 2-3hk which is med-long range. At 53 units EVO, Vector, Chicom are 5hk. Other SMGs are 4HK. Swat is 3hk, Fal + SMR are 2hk; Scar and AN-94 is 3HK @ 53 units. The others are tied w/ SMGs at 4hk.

At 123 units all the SMGs are 6hk. At that range, MTAR, M27, Scar, AN-94 are all 4hk. SMR, Fal, Swat are 3hk and the rest are still better than SMGs at 5hk.

At max range some SMGs are faster TTK than ARs but we're talking 180+ units and at that range most SMGs need to burst fire and you can't really hit those theoretical TTKs. The only one I can full auto at range w/ is MP7 which is 0.35s and slower than everything but the AN-94 at max range.

I have about 40 days total playtime in MW3 so I wouldn't remotely call it getting lucky matches. And, it's not just me. I mostly play the game with a few friends.
That's cool, but I don't know what your playtime has to do with the fact that every game after MW2 has the same netcode. That's not just some opinion of mine.

Like that BO2 montage of horrible lag deaths that was posted just a page ago or so, I can record the exact same thing in MW3 in just 2 hours of play. But I can pop in MW2 and on any host on any continent, I can win firefights as long as my strategy is sound and I'm better prepared than the other guy. None of this "dude just appears on your screen at lightspeed, instakills you before you can ADS with Quickdraw" bullshit that happens in MW3 and BO2.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't recall MW3 having lag issues either, not like Black ops 1 or two. There was some, sometimes, but not on the levels of those two games.

Voltron64

I don't recall MW3 having lag issues either, not like Black ops 1 or two. There was some, sometimes, but not on the levels of those two games.

When it launched it was pretty bad. After a few patches it was a lot better. Too bad Treyarch couldn't learn a thing or two from IW and MW3. Seems like they don't care.

ohlawd

You guys are lucky. Those patches in MW3 did nothing for me when it came to lag.

Netcode-wise, FOR ME, goes like this.

CoD4 > MW2 >>>> BO >>>> BO2 >= MW3

knitoe

That's cool, but I don't know what your playtime has to do with the fact that every game after MW2 has the same netcode. That's not just some opinion of mine.

Like that BO2 montage of horrible lag deaths that was posted just a page ago or so, I can record the exact same thing in MW3 in just 2 hours of play. But I can pop in MW2 and on any host on any continent, I can win firefights as long as my strategy is sound and I'm better prepared than the other guy. None of this "dude just appears on your screen at lightspeed, instakills you before you can ADS with Quickdraw" bullshit that happens in MW3 and BO2.
Are you sure MW3 has the same netcode as BO1/2? That's not been my experience. As to my total play time numbers, it shows that I didn't get a few "lucky" lag free matches in MW3.

And, this.

KaYotiX

Banned
He is wrong though.

blackopsiiweaponstatist.png

To put it into perspective: 53 is where FAL switches from 2-3 hk which is pretty close range. 123 is where SMR switches from 2-3hk which is med-long range. At 53 units EVO, Vector, Chicom are 5hk. Other SMGs are 4HK. Swat is 3hk, Fal + SMR are 2hk; Scar and AN-94 is 3HK @ 53 units. The others are tied w/ SMGs at 4hk.

At 123 units all the SMGs are 6hk. At that range, MTAR, M27, Scar, AN-94 are all 4hk. SMR, Fal, Swat are 3hk and the rest are still better than SMGs at 5hk.

At max range some SMGs are faster TTK than ARs but we're talking 180+ units and at that range most SMGs need to burst fire and you can't really hit those theoretical TTKs. The only one I can full auto at range w/ is MP7 which is 0.35s and slower than everything but the AN-94 at max range.
Sure on paper, but when I see kill cams of full auto Smgs killing me from across a map it's BS. I love the ARs but right now the Smgs are just way to powerful to not use all the time. Maybe it's part lag compensation too so who knows

Are you sure MW3 has the same netcode as BO1/2? That's not been my experience. As to my total play time numbers, it shows that I didn't get a few "lucky" lag free matches in MW3.
Absolutely positive. I don't know, can't even guess, what part of the netcode make it so that certain people have problems with certain games and vice versa, but it's unmistakably true that BO1 introduced new netcode that all games afterwards used. Google/Youtube "MW3 lag comp" and you'll get as many hits as with "BO1/2 lag comp."

I get the short end of the stick in all of the games, but at least in BO1 I can do well by not rushing and being more deliberate. In the latter two games, that doesn't even work and people will fly around corners in every single match. It's not just extra bad matches, there's always at least 1 The Flash clone in the matches I play. Like I said, that BO2 lag montage is my exact experience with MW3 as well, in every single match and it's still the same after all the hotfixes.

Mw3 had the worst lag I've ever experienced in a COD. Traded it back in too quick to know what the patches did..
It's slightly better now, but still not good. If you were like me and had a horrible experience in almost every match pre-patch, you won't be having a great time post-patch either.

eek5

Sure on paper, but when I see kill cams of full auto Smgs killing me from across a map it's BS. I love the ARs but right now the Smgs are just way to powerful to not use all the time. Maybe it's part lag compensation too so who knows

All TTK are less than 0.5s. If someone sees you first and has good aim, good burst control, etc. they can kill you from across the map. If you see each other at the same time at
"9999" range AR will win the majority of the time.

If someone is killing you full auto w/ SMG from 180+ range that's on you. I highly doubt they're landing 6 consecutive shots which would give you a chance to evade.

On that list it has the FAL's max damage at 55, yet if I'm not mistaken on the actual game doesn't it say the SMR has the highest damage in class, yet on that list it only has it at 50.

EDIT: Here is what the class description says: "Semi-automatic assault rifle. Highest damage per round in class."

Does "per round" have a certain significance making it weaker than the FAL?

DOUBLE EDIT: Nevermind, the more I read up, I see that the SMR has a longer two-hit kill range than the FAL.

Jarmel

Banned
On that list it has the FAL's max damage at 55, yet if I'm not mistaken on the actual game doesn't it say the SMR has the highest damage in class, yet on that list it only has it at 50.

EDIT: Here is what the class description says: "Semi-automatic assault rifle. Highest damage per round in class."

Does "per round" have a certain significance making it weaker than the FAL?

DOUBLE EDIT: Nevermind, the more I read up, I see that the SMR has a longer two-hit kill range than the FAL.

Ingame stats are useless, they're usually pretty inaccurate.

fozzy

Late evening is just unplayable.

I'm so far behind people, and I seem to always get put with idiots that will happily watch you die over and over whilst you're trying to secure bases.

The last shotgun needs a serious buff. Any SMG and AR can easily hip fire and out shoot you. I say take off the rechamber or lengthen it's distance.

An easy fix for all the SMG hate would be to take away the laser sight from SMGs.

Slizz

I can't play this game with anything but the KAP-40 FMJ and extended clip now. I have way too much fun. I wreck in FFA with KAP-40, FMJ, extended clip, lightweight, ghost, extreme conditioning and dexterity.

Any team based mode, I just put FMJ on the KAP-40 and engineer instead of dexterity and 2 blackhats.

I don't know what it is exactly that treyarch does to put their spin on the cod engine, but I know I prefer the IW version. Now that Zampella, West and all those other IW guys left the company, the future does not look bright considering who's in the driver's seat for this franchise now. I guess all good things must come to an end.

Yep, pretty much. While MW3 wasn't spectacular, they at least listened to feedback and addressed the spawn and lag compensation issues after release. I've come to terms that MW2 pretty much plateaued the series and it's all been downhill since.

Anxiously awaiting whatever respawn studio comes up with, even if it's next gen and means a longer wait.

And the posts constantly claiming there are no lag issues don't get old for those that do have the issues? OT's aren't exclusive love fests, dude, get used to it.

Please show me where I said there were no lag issues.

So does being on the bad side of LC, its infuriating. He was out anyway, just saying ya know?

Never said it wasn't. (Likely) 150+ posts bitching about it is excessive and irritating, however.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
And the posts constantly claiming there are no lag issues don't get old for those that do have the issues? OT's aren't exclusive love fests, dude, get used to it.

No one said they have to be, nor does your statement negate his.

I've not seen anyone say there is "no lag" what I've seen is people saying there IS lag, but over all it's not THAT serious(happening all game, every game).

I think people complaining about shit in a thread like this need to put platform in the title so shit's more clear.

I've not seen anyone say there is "no lag" what I've seen is people saying there IS lag, but over all it's not THAT serious(happening all game, every game).
There have been countless posts of people saying they're not having noticeable problems. Just last page we discussed how one poster had no issues in MW3 while I had issues in every match.

Just saying that an OT allows for all opinions on the subject, not just the ones you want to agree with. Also, ignore feature if it's really that painful to read.

There have been countless posts of people saying they're not having noticeable problems. Just last page we discussed how one poster had no issues in MW3 while I had issues in every match.

Just saying that an OT allows for all opinions on the subject, not just the ones you want to agree with. Also, ignore feature if it's really that painful to read.
I don't have many noticeable problems either, but that's different than a poster saying there are no lag problems in the game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

There's a difference between what you're saying is going on, and what's actually going on. I'm not shocked at this though since I've had you on ignore for a long time. I doubt anyone here wants a circle jerk.

Constructive criticism is one thing, constant annoying complaining is another, especially when he has that many posts.

Also, if you're having "issues every match" you might want to look into your setup, because that's definitely not the norm.

Top Bottom