• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Yemen's awesome. Love that map. Though I'm so sick of Hijacked.

Hijacked is really just Nuketown on a boat. The design is pretty similar. I hate Nuketown. Somehow I managed to play Hijacked 4 times in a row. We played one game and then they voted for it a second time. Almost at the end of the second game the host quits and the game goes back to the lobby area where we get to choose a new map. Of course they choose Hijacked again. After that match I'm busy fiddling with options only to be horror struck that they choose Hijacked once more. Terrible, terrible map.

HiiiLife

I fell in love with the Tar/Target Finder.

I don't care anymore if people complain about Target Finders, X-ray Scopes or Thermal vision and the "fact" that it lacks "skill".

I'm having fun with it. Lol.

Hijacked is really just Nuketown on a boat. The design is pretty similar. I hate Nuketown. Somehow I managed to play Hijacked 4 times in a row. We played one game and then they voted for it a second time. Almost at the end of the second game the host quits and the game goes back to the lobby area where we get to choose a new map. Of course they choose Hijacked again. After that match I'm busy fiddling with options only to be horror struck that they choose Hijacked once more. Terrible, terrible map.

Well said. Insightful comment even if I disagree. Nuketown was my favorite Blops map, and Hijacked is easily the highpoint for me in this game.

It's the one map that I don't feel completely exposed on at all times.

On another note-after my first prestige I decided to try and go for diamond camo on my pistols (I only have gold on the B23R). Is it me or is the Five Seven a piece of hot garbage? I'm finding headshots much tougher than with the B23R.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

iiUqaJX85iipX.gif

Acinixys

The kind of people who play CoD seem to be the kind of people who take issue with everything, for the sake of taking issue with everything.

For example, today i was called a shotty noob for using a 870 on Nuketown. Next match, used a HAMR with no attachments for the camo, called an LMG noob. Switched to AN-94, called an AR noob. You just cant please some people

LowParry

I have more fun on Nuketown than Hijacked. I dunno. But yes, they are essentially the same map. I'm surprised it's been this long with no previews of any of the new maps yet. I mean hell, I was expecting new maps in January.

The kind of people who play CoD seem to be the kind of people who take issue with everything, for the sake of taking issue with everything.

For example, today i was called a shotty noob for using a 870 on Nuketown. Next match, used a HAMR with no attachments for the camo, called an LMG noob. Switched to AN-94, called an AR noob. You just cant please some people

Everyone's a noob. :) Though regarding shotguns, the range the damn things have with one shot kills. They just need to get rid of long barrel and I think it balances the shotgun out.

Acinixys

Though regarding shotguns, the range the damn things have with one shot kills. They just need to get rid of long barrel and I think it balances the shotgun out.

I dont think so. If you miss the 1st shot, you're probably dead. (Unless you're up against a retard who cant aim) But i agree that even after the patch, the kill range is a little over the top

[EDIT] This is an actual 870 shot pattern at 7 yards/6.4 meters

DSC03258.jpg

So maybe the in game range isnt actually that wrong. But for balance sake it could be a little lower, especially when hip firing.

I like Hijacked.

Anyways, I like the SP. I thought I would hate it, but, it's infinitely better then anything in MW1-3.

zeelman

I fell in love with the Tar/Target Finder.

I don't care anymore if people complain about Target Finders, X-ray Scopes or Thermal vision and the "fact" that it lacks "skill".

I'm having fun with it. Lol.

You pretty much need a Target Finder on Carrier if you're not going to flank the enemy team.

How long is the sp? Thinking of starting it next week after I beat Far cry 3.

Just as short as the others, but this time there's some replay value since there's multiple endings based on your decisions during key moments. The campaign is good, but I disagree it's better than some of the MW game's sp campaigns. If I had to rank the series by best sp campaign it'd be: MW > MW2 > BO2 > BO > MW3 > WAW.

One thing of note though, the strike force missions are absolute garbage and a huge waste of time. They should have canned that and attributed the resources to other aspects of the game.

Dreaver

I just started playing this game yesterday. Is there any best AR/SMG? I'm using the Vector with silencer and quickdraw right now. I do have the feeling that the silencer ruines the weapon (makes it worse).

Also, bouncing betty's are so much bullshit. It's like a 360 degrees claymore with a much larger range. So annoying and stupid.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just started playing this game yesterday. Is there any best AR/SMG? I'm using the Vector with silencer and quickdraw right now. I do have the feeling that the silencer ruines the weapon (makes it worse).

Also, bouncing betty's are so much bullshit. It's like a 360 degrees claymore with a much larger range. So annoying and stupid.

Good thing you didn't play before the last patch. You couldn't even outrun the Bouncing Betty's before. Now you kind of can.

Tamanon

Banned
Good thing you didn't play before the last patch. You couldn't even outrun the Bouncing Betty's before. Now you kind of can.

Yeah, there's no more dreadful sound when playing Nuketown than hearing my Betty go off and not seeing a +100 appear. I know it's about to get dicey.

And at least they were smart about not making Betty kills drop Scavenger reloads.

popeutlal

I found the best AR to be the SMR with select fire and the AN94, but both the last two guns you unlock.

similar, but Hijacked is narrower with tighter spaces and a smaller middle and a few more flanking routes. All of that makes that map less fun than Nuketown imo.

What sucks about Hijacked is the two main "houses" are a bit removed from their respective "back of the map" spots. So when the enemy isn't spawning literally directly behind you, they'll at least be spawning a few yards away if you're in one of the houses.

Also, some spawn points are in the alleys on the side of the house, where you are not only completely exposed, but sometimes in the line of fire. And because of the underground "tunnel", it's very easy for someone to go from one side to the other to get to your spawn, which wasn't the case in Nuketown for BO1. Hijacked is everything wrong with the spawn system in this game.

Hijacked is hands down the map I hate most in the entire CoD series. I'm not a huge fan of Nuketown, but it's tolerable. Hijacked on the other hand has the most atrocious spawns. I've found that the invisible barrier (or whatever you want to call it) to swap the spawns is the set of stairs leading to the upper decks. Once you cross halfway up those stairs, the spawns instantly switch over and if you're quick enough, you can easily spawn kill 4 or 5 people before they get to you.

Ryck

To be honest, each AR, for me at least, is completely different from one another. The only attachment that is on all my ARs is the Stock. Being mobile is so important when you take into account the lag and how fast people who run with SMGs, especially those equipped with light weight.

Having the stock on at least allows me to turn corners with my ADS up so that if I do get caught running into a guy with an smg, I'll reduce that persons advantage since with SMGs users can ADS faster and they already have a mobility advantage. You don't win all the battles, but at least it gives you a better chance of winning those gun fights.

If I were to give a examples of some of my AR set ups:

- M8A1 (or whatever the fuck the 2nd last AR you unlock with the 4-round burst)
Attachments: Red Dot, Stock, Grip
- MTAR
Attachments: Red Dot, Silencer, Stock
- Scar
Attachments: Select Fire, Silencer, Stock

In terms of perks, Dexterity + Tac Mask, Flak Jacket are a must when you consider how much random garbage is lying around the maps. Scavenger and Toughness are solid Tier 2 perks as well.

And of course map knowledge is important. Know your power points, lines of sights, head glitch spots, high traffic areas, flanking routes. Simply put yourself in the best position to win your gun fights.

Now if lag is really bad, simply leave the match. Fuck that bullshit.
Thanks for the breakdown, last night I decided to play and just say fuck it and just have fun. Forgot about K/D and winning and tried to just enjoy playing the game. I had a good enough time that I decided to keep the game and just hope they fix the lag issues soon. Gonna try your classes in a bit, thanks again.

Edit: Select fire on the scar? How does that improve the gun?

Effect

Thanks for the responses. Disappointed to hear about the issue in finding games on the PC due to the population. Is it a case of simply not being able to find games in the other modes or it just taking longer then it should but you can still get into them? During US east coast prime time hours (6pm to midnight)?

I can deal with a low population. Considering rebuying the game with extra money I have but trying to decide between the PC and Wii U version again. P

In regards to NAT I was wondering if people were getting a strict connection. That seemed to be an issue on the Wii U and I think other systems until people put their systems into their router's DMZ. I had issues with that with MW2 and I believe it was the cause of it taking so long for me to get into any lobby but putting my PC on my router's DMZ was something I wasn't prepared to do. Didn't have any issues with BO1 on the PC.

Makoto

Thanks for the responses. Disappointed to hear about the issue in finding games on the PC due to the population. Is it a case of simply not being able to find games in the other modes or it just taking longer then it should but you can still get into them? During US east coast prime time hours (6pm to midnight)?
There's pretty much no issue getting into games during US peak hours. It's the morning/afternoon that you may have watch out for but I'm bias in that regard, as I play Mercenary Moshpit the majority of the time which is one of the least populated playlists. TDM/Domination I have no issue finding a game during the morning, takes less than 30 seconds.

Just as short as the others, but this time there's some replay value since there's multiple endings based on your decisions during key moments. The campaign is good, but I disagree it's better than some of the MW game's sp campaigns. If I had to rank the series by best sp campaign it'd be: MW > MW2 > BO2 > BO > MW3 > WAW.

One thing of note though, the strike force missions are absolute garbage and a huge waste of time. They should have canned that and attributed the resources to other aspects of the game.

Good to know, I loved MW and MW2 stories, if its better than BO and MW3 I'll probably like it.

The best is repeatedly killing someone camping behind a barrel with an LMG target finder combo with my R870 and being called a tryhard noob. They ALWAYS cite the shotgun's range. REALLY? You have an LMG and you let me get withing shotgun range, and I'm a noob somehow?

Acinixys

The second you hear the zbrrrrt of a Betty about to pop up, go prone. If you prone it does no damage and explodes harmlessly. I love running and diving into a Betty as it hits the ground, because it usually pops up and kills its owner. Priceless

The best is repeatedly killing someone camping behind a barrel with an LMG target finder combo with my R870 and being called a tryhard noob. They ALWAYS cite the shotgun's range. REALLY? You have an LMG and you let me get withing shotgun range, and I'm a noob somehow?

The only shotgun i consider noobish is the S12. That thing is spam heaven, especially if the person using it keeps jumping around and hip firing.

Omzz

yeah i dont know what's going on. i keep gettin weird lag of cutting in and out during games. I'd still be connected to the games but it's like the game stops for a second and can notice people jumping from one place to another.

what are your guys router settings?

The second you hear the zbrrrrt of a Betty about to pop up, go prone. If you prone it does no damage and explodes harmlessly. I love running and diving into a Betty as it hits the ground, because it usually pops up and kills its owner. Priceless

Works if you just crouch as well.

Dreaver

After a few hours of Blops 2... It's fun and I will keep playing it but I really don't like the direction CoD went.

Where is team tactical while playing on awesome maps like Crash or Overgrown? I loved that so much. The franchise turned into such a clusterfuck (yeah it already started at Modern Warfare 2).

Maps are so extremely small, you can't run for more than 10 seconds without seeing an enemy. I really hate it. There is not a lot tactical gameplay, it's just mindlessly running around like a chicken most of the time. Map design really went downhill after Modern Warfare 2, sadly.

The only shotgun i consider noobish is the S12. That thing is spam heaven, especially if the person using it keeps jumping around and hip firing.

I found the best AR to be the SMR with select fire and the AN94, but both the last two guns you unlock.

Thanks!

After a few hours of Blops 2... It's fun and I will keep playing it but I really don't like the direction CoD went.

Where is team tactical while playing on awesome maps like Crash or Overgrown? I loved that so much. The franchise turned into such a clusterfuck (yeah it already started at Modern Warfare 2).

Maps are so extremely small, you can't run for more than 10 seconds without seeing an enemy. I really hate it. There is not a lot tactical gameplay, it's just mindlessly running around like a chicken most of the time. Map design really went downhill after Modern Warfare 2, sadly.

Thanks!

I agree completely. The direction of the last two games has really bothered me. MW3 and now this.

I still play, but its not as fun. I dream for the days of COD4 and Blops 2.
:(

Thanks!

Agreed, this game is really fun in short bursts, but I can't play it for hours on end like CoD4 or MW2

aku:jiki

Maps are so extremely small, you can't run for more than 10 seconds without seeing an enemy. I really hate it.
I hate it too, but I feel that it's more due to the spawn system than the map sizes. There's some good sized maps in there, but ever since MW3 they insist that enemies MUST spawn right in your face at all times, no matter how little sense it makes to the match flow or for objective play.

It's like... Your team has held A and B in Domination for the entire match? It's cool, the enemy team will just suddenly spawn behind you on A, take both flags, cause complete spawn chaos and win the match. Your team just cleared out the bomb site in Demolition and finally got a tough plant? No problem, the entire enemy team just spawns in the other room and overwhelms you and defuses!

I mean, I get that they're trying to force situations that the franchise is popular for (fast action, lots of encounters) but this shit is just braindead. I can't believe even the most casual-gaming fratboy stoner thinks this shit is fun.

Makoto

It's like... Your team has held A and B in Domination for the entire match? It's cool, the enemy team will just suddenly spawn behind you on A, take both flags, cause complete spawn chaos and win the match. Your team just cleared out the bomb site in Demolition and finally got a tough plant? No problem, the entire enemy team just spawns in the other room and overwhelms you and defuses!
This, particularly the Domination situation, always means someone on your team is over-extending and pushing into the opposition's spawn. At the same time, it also means no one on your team is bothering to defend A. Stuff like what you're talking about is easily resolved.

Nabs

I can deal with a low population. Considering rebuying the game with extra money I have but trying to decide between the PC and Wii U version again. P

In regards to NAT I was wondering if people were getting a strict connection. That seemed to be an issue on the Wii U and I think other systems until people put their systems into their router's DMZ. I had issues with that with MW2 and I believe it was the cause of it taking so long for me to get into any lobby but putting my PC on my router's DMZ was something I wasn't prepared to do. Didn't have any issues with BO1 on the PC.

Pop is low, but I have no problems finding games.

eek5

I hate it too, but I feel that it's more due to the spawn system than the map sizes. There's some good sized maps in there, but ever since MW3 they insist that enemies MUST spawn right in your face at all times, no matter how little sense it makes to the match flow or for objective play.
One of the issues is that almost all the spwan points are on the perimeter of the maps. A handful of maps don't even have spawns in mid-perimeter so it becomes a game of spawn flip after spawn flip. It is no wonder the best camp spots are in the center of maps. Just wait out and predict spawns and you will wreck shit lol

I never intended to buy this game and only got it because someone else in my family got it.

I am surprised how much I am enjoying this. MW1 stands far above the rest, and the series has always taken a direction away from that, which I've always hated vastly. Hated MW2's drastic changes, despised MW3-- I dont understand how anyone enjoys that. IW just made deaths so much faster, making it such a random crap game with horrific spawns. I cant understand how they got away with that.

Black Ops was fun, but terribly ported on PS3 and I was exhausted with the franchise by then. Barely touched MW3. I've by and large moved on to Battlefield 3. Poured hundreds of hours between that and BC2. I've poured 150 hours into BC2, 130 hours in BF3 (with no intention of stopping). Still pales in comparison to the 500 hours I put into COD4 and the likely 200+ hours I've put into all other COD games combined.

Even though it's not COD4, I am enjoying the more bullets to kill type of gameplay, and the generally better maps. Spawning still feels off, but I dont find it to be bafflingly bad as MW3's. I still dislike how close you spawn into action, I'd personally love a respawn timer as I feel it would improve the flow. They've simply catered to the idiotically simple minded crowd that wants to hop on and just KILL KILL KILL. Wish they'd have a more sensible alternative (no offense to those who just want to hop on and kill, I dont mean it in a bad way...completely)

That said, the guns feel great, and it's not as twitch as MW3. Hated the bullet damage in that game. I wish there was more recoil overall like COD4, but by and large, it's fun.

Still annoyed by lag comp but I havent experienced it noticeably persistent as I thought it'd be. Does it happen to everyone, or does it depend on bad connections? Did the latest patch address anything here?

Anyways, I plan to post here more often, this may outdo Blops I as my runner up favourite MP COD game. I'm sure I'll run into a lot of the problems as I play more that may sour things up, but as a quick impression (after I think maybe 5 hours) it's much better than MW3.

I guess my main question atm is: what's the biggest/what are the biggest issues with the game currently? Lag Comp? SMGs? Spawns?

RedAssedApe

Banned
One of the issues is that almost all the spwan points are on the perimeter of the maps. A handful of maps don't even have spawns in mid-perimeter so it becomes a game of spawn flip after spawn flip. It is no wonder the best camp spots are in the center of maps. Just wait out and predict spawns and you will wreck shit lol

Oh man. I was playing a game of kill confirmed on Hijacked and my team got destroyed because of this. Spawn camping combined with what was literally one lightning strike after another. I think we lost like 100-35 or something lol

Magik

Thanks for the breakdown, last night I decided to play and just say fuck it and just have fun. Forgot about K/D and winning and tried to just enjoy playing the game. I had a good enough time that I decided to keep the game and just hope they fix the lag issues soon. Gonna try your classes in a bit, thanks again.

Edit: Select fire on the scar? How does that improve the gun?

Select Fire reduces the Scar's obnoxious recoil quite a bit. IMO, without Select Fire, the Scar is useless.

eek5

Select Fire reduces the Scar's obnoxious recoil quite a bit. IMO, without Select Fire, the Scar is useless.
Every COD I get proficient with a below average AR then trick my friends into thinking it is good. The scar is actually decent with no attachments. I have just been using it with grenade launcher lately. What I do is a 3 round burst followed by fully auto fire + dragging the aim very strongly to finish opponents off. The long 3hk range, fully auto w/ no attachments makes the scar one of the best ARs to use w/ no attachments imo. It is great for 6 perk.or 5 perk scav classes.

You still can't really fight in the scar's 4hk range against snipers, fals, etc. but you can find ways to avoid those LoS easily. I just use glauncher to counter those headglitches. Glauncher is terrible but if someone isn't moving it is pretty easy to get a cross map kill lol

The grip doesn't make a huge diff (placebo?). SF is better at preventing insane recoil but the an94 is a much better sf/ar if you are going to blow 2 points imo.

I need help:

-How big of a difference does the texture pack make?
-I am having trouble with local account sign in for split screen:

1) I cant search for games
2) The second signed in player can't change classes or streaks

When they sign in as guest, everything is O.K. What's the problem?

-Is there anyway to adjust the screen size for split-screen? Screen seems smaller than other COD split screens (for online)

How do I go back and complete all the objectives in my combat record for each level?

When I beat the game, if I go to "replay mission" it says it won't save my progress...but when I go to 'new game' it says it will overwrite my old save file.

Top Bottom