• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

So I got the golden FAL. I don't think I have a desire to diamond anything in this game. But I am happy I got the gold. Whats the next easiest AR to get gold?

It's mind boggling how inconsistent the experience is. At my place I can't accomplish a hill of beans. They see me and I'm dead. If I even expose one pixel at my place I'm dead. It's like playing against real life Special Forces lol. I'm negative CONSTANTLY.

But last night I played at my sister's house on her fiance's PS3. First game, no warmup, didn't even create a class, just used his LMG class I scored 42-10 Raid Domination Ground War.

I had a couple moments to pick my shots, back off and regain health, I played the game and it felt right. No cheap deaths, no blaming the game, handed out and received damage, etc. What was happening in game felt true to what I was seeing. That experience is consistent to how I play MW2 at home.

Black Ops 2 would be fucking incredible if they could figure out and fix what is killing it for people like me at my place. It's a shame they can't or won't.

I played the game at my brother's place this weekend. Didn't notice a damn thing being different. Scored about the same as I always do.

Xbox version for both of us.

In my experience I believe the lag is related to how close each individual player is to the host. So within any match, my lag experience differs with each player. One guy, who is the host, or closer to the host than me, has an advantage on me, and I can tell. However, other players in the match will feel perfectly fair, or I'll have an advantage on them.

Either way, it's not game breaking for me, but it feels more noticeable in this game than any previous COD for me.

If I'm being honest, I don't buy the claims that some people have a horrible experience ALL THE TIME, at least on the Xbox version.

Makoto

Played this today for the first time in a few weeks.
..More laggy than I remembered it being. If I'm host, I dominate. When I'm not host, I do something in between bad and terrible. Makes it difficult for me to enjoy the game, which is a shame, since it's the best gameplay since Mw2.
I thought the situation on consoles was that if you're host, you're screwed?

Fantasmo

I played the game at my Brother's place this weekend. Didn't notice a damn thing being different. Scored about the same as I always do.

Xbox version for both of us.

In my experience I believe the lag is related to how close each individual player is to the host. So within any match, my lag experience differs with each player. One guy, who is the host, or closer to the host than me, has an advantage on me, and I can tell. However, other players in the match will feel perfectly fair, or I'll have an advantage on them.

Either way, it's not game breaking for me, but it feels more noticeable in this game than any previous COD for me.

If I'm being honest, I don't buy the claims that some people have a horrible experience ALL THE TIME, at least on the Xbox version.

I'm not gonna go round in circles with you. It was bad 95% of the time. I know you just can't accept it, but that is exactly the reason why I traded it in. You think I'm a liar. Good for you I guess? And I do networking for a living so please don't go there.

I played at my sister's a few weeks ago too, think my best game was 75-4. My best at home was like 20-10. My usual game was .5 k/d or worse.

Black Ops 2 is awesome. Just not at my place it wasn't. Who knows, maybe they'll fix it, maybe they already did, but after 9 games it shouldn't have been that bad in the first place. I actually loved the game, it just didn't work properly.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Played this today for the first time in a few weeks.
..More laggy than I remembered it being. If I'm host, I dominate. When I'm not host, I do something in between bad and terrible. Makes it difficult for me to enjoy the game, which is a shame, since it's the best gameplay since Mw2.

People tend to not know wtf they are talking about, they just blame shit. In here you will see people say MW3 has better netcode then Blackops 2 and others will say they have exactly the same netcode (and both either suck or are great depending on their preference). Some will say "host" advantage, others will say being host subjects you to the worst of "lag comp."

It's all excuses to alleviate the burden of self blame when they do bad.

All games have lag issues, this one is no different.

I'm not gonna go round in circles with you. It was bad 95% of the time. I know you just can't accept it, but that is exactly the reason why I traded it in. You think I'm a liar. Good for you I guess? And I do networking for a living so please don't go there.

I played at my sister's a few weeks ago too, think my best game was 75-4. My best at home was like 20-10. My usual game was .5 k/d or worse.

Black Ops 2 is awesome. Just not at my place it wasn't. Who knows, maybe they'll fix it, maybe they already did, but after 9 games it shouldn't have been that bad in the first place. I actually loved the game, it just didn't work properly.

For someone who "does networking for a living," you can't seem to figure out the issue is on your end.

I thought the situation on consoles was that if you're host, you're screwed?

That's exactly why all this lag talk is so silly. People can't even make up their mind about who is getting screwed. I still believe there is a host advantage, and an advantage to anyone who's very nearby the host geographically.

I never said you, or anyone else were liars. I just think people inherently find reasons for why something is going the way it is.

As I explained pages back in this thread, the single biggest change they made with this game was skill based matchmaking in every mode, but most people did not realize it. It made matches extremely competitive in every mode, which would frustrate a lot of people, but that was patched out a couple weeks ago, and my k/d has jumped because of it.

Fantasmo

I never said you, or anyone else were liars. I just think people inherently find reasons for why something is going the way it is.

I'm a good player and my network is tight, that's all the proof I can give without their data. I was raised to always point fingers at myself, until options are exhausted.

I'm a good player and my network is tight, that's all the proof I can give without their data. I'm the type to always point fingers at myself, until options are exhausted.

I also want it clear, I do believe this game has more noticeable lag issues than any prior COD game, related to host and geography.

However, what I don't believe is that certain players are consistently handcuffed and or penalized by the lag.

Fracas

#fuckonami
People tend to not know wtf they are talking about, they just blame shit. In here you will see people say MW3 has better netcode then Blackops 2 and others will say they have exactly the same netcode (and both either suck or are great depending on their preference). Some will say "host" advantage, others will say being host subjects you to the worst of "lag comp."

It's all excuses to alleviate the burden of self blame when they do bad.

All games have lag issues, this one is no different.

For someone who "does networking for a living," you can't seem to figure out the issue is on your end.
I seem to have less connection issues with this game than I did with MW3, but overall it is a pretty inconsistent experience.

On both my university connection (~50mb up) and my home connection (1.5mb up), I get a handful of unplayable matches every time I play. Rubberbanding, grenades disappearing, stuff like that.

Fantasmo

I also want it clear, I do believe this game has more noticeable lag issues than any prior COD game, related to host and geography.

However, what I don't believe is that certain players are consistently handcuffed and or penalized by the lag.

That's exactly what was happening though. I'm 33 years old. It doesn't do me any good to complain instead of polishing my skills. When I'm playing somewhere else, I don't need to complain or polish anything. I get to listen to praise.

Edit: Even the above comment wouldn't bug me. 1.0+ doesn't make me rage at all. .5 and not even being able to ADS does. Or did anyway.

Madtown_

That's exactly why all this lag talk is so silly. People can't even make up their mind about who is getting screwed. I still believe there is a host advantage, and an advantage to anyone who's very nearby the host geographically.
Yeah, this is what I noticed last night as well. When I or my friend 50 miles away are host, all is well for us, but our buddy across the country is having a terrible time. And vice versa.

I'm not blaming the lag for my gameplay, just posting observations (or at least that was my intention). I'm still able to win most of the rough games, but the series has clearly changed in terms of lag. Moving from mw2 to bo2 is a huge shift, personally, which is too bad.

So I got the golden FAL. I don't think I have a desire to diamond anything in this game. But I am happy I got the gold. Whats the next easiest AR to get gold?

I started with FAL as well, I then got gold for the MTAR as well, but it was harder to get the longshot medals with it. I have just started the head shots for the Type 25 now.

Ryck

Just had a game of Domination on Aftermath and about a quarter of the way through my whole team got dropped and there was a solid 3 or 4 minutes of me versus five. Well I decided to flank and capture A and I ended up getting a couple kills on the way. Got a Hellstorm once I capped A and promptly killed the entire team that was camped at B with it.

I still lost but for that one moment it felt pretty damn good.

The EMP grenade is probably the best part of this game. It stops the person from running, blinds shortly, and removes their minimap for such a long time. Not only all of that, but it can hit them through walls and destroys equipment giving you 50 points each. You also get large amounts of assist XP and points towards Kill Streaks for anybody you hit. It has a huge radius and can be thrown as a probe to see where the enemy is. Why use the sensor grenade when you have something even better.

Especially playing with randoms against a good team. It's your own personal EMP to throw around, and will mess with any coordinated team who glues their eyes to their minimap.

MechDX

The EMP grenade is probably the best part of this game. It stops the person from running, blinds shortly, and removes their minimap for such a long time. Not only all of that, but it can hit them through walls and destroys equipment giving you 50 points each. You also get large amounts of assist XP and points towards Kill Streaks for anybody you hit. It has a huge radius and can be thrown as a probe to see where the enemy is. Why use the sensor grenade when you have something even better.

Especially playing with randoms against a good team. It's your own personal EMP to throw around, and will mess with any coordinated team who glues their eyes to their minimap.

Ill have to give the EMP a shot.

I don't have a class where I routinely use it, but when I do, it's pretty good, especially with Engineer. If you see the classic Shock Charge and Betty combo, just toss an EMP at the wall. Instant +100 towards your next pointstreak.

I just love how unique it is. I like how a few of the weapons in Black Ops II have unique properties, like the AN-94 too.

I'm pretty bad with the KSG, but I like it because it's unique. It does play unlike the other guns in the game. It's like a quickscoping shotgun, and you either win the engagement or you're dead.

Although lag is VERY noticeable with it. So many times I fire a slug on my screen and then I don't fire at all on the killcam. It's more noticeable since you know if you fired off your one shot or not before you died.

foxdvd

as for the emp grenade...nothing more satisfying seeing multiple pieces of equipment, including guardians and sentry guns...and one single emp throw nets you a lighting strike...this has happened a few times to me..over 700 exp on one emp throw...

Or a hostile dragon fire or hunter or RC...and a simple toss gets you 125 exp....

I can't believe all of my stats and stuff got reset after the 29MB update on 360. I was only Prestige 2 and did no sort of hacking. -___-

I contacted Treyarch and Activision Assist to help me out with this issue.

zeelman

Damn.. So close on letting the dogs out.

Was about to get the tag and an ally took it. We both died after that. :/

I miss out on streaks all the time because an "ally" keeps stealing all my tags. I think my best game had 20 confirms. :(

Ya i looked at a video earlier and its the most ridiculous thing, no idea how anyone could figure this out.

But.. if your ever in a lobby and see a few masters around, check their stats.. they will all be very similar to each other.

Yeah, I've noticed 3 of them over the past two days on Xbox. They have ridiculous stats, like a 22 KD with the M1216. o_O

fuenf

Ya i looked at a video earlier and its the most ridiculous thing, no idea how anyone could figure this out.

But.. if your ever in a lobby and see a few masters around, check their stats.. they will all be very similar to each other.

lol this explains everything, yesterday I was in lobby with 3 master prestige players. They all had 602 wins, 32xxx kils and a 2,0 KD...

Magik

I played cod4 on ps3 last night. Why does it have better netcode than this game ?

Probably because there's too much bullshit layered on top of it from killstreaks, elite integration, more gadgets and not to mention the netcode has probably been tinkered with beyond recognition.

CoD 4 was simple while every game after that get more complex.

Top Bottom