• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

popeutlal

just got this as a late xmas gift

how do I not suck ass

for reference my k/d ratios in past COD games were 1.2 for MW, 1.5 in MW2 and 1.8 in BLOPS1; right now I'm at .85 and routinely getting destroyed, I went 0-9 to start a round on that one map in mynamar

is it a matter of just unlocking better perks/guns or is the game totally feast or famine with the jank-ass netcode
Most important thing: you need to get better at predicting spawns.

That will help you survive more than any thing else in the game.

Radec

how do I not suck ass

for reference my k/d ratios in past COD games were 1.2 for MW, 1.5 in MW2 and 1.8 in BLOPS1; right now I'm at .85 and routinely getting destroyed, I went 0-9 to start a round on that one map in mynamar

is it a matter of just unlocking better perks/guns or is the game totally feast or famine with the jank-ass netcode

I think this is the hardest CoD in the first prestige. In the past I got like 2+ kd, but here im only at 1.72, though that came from 0.7 when i hit my 1st prestige. Im targetting 2+. will hit that eventually.

Acinixys

Is there a limit on how many sentry guns you can place? I just had a game of KC where i went 72/10, with 4 sentries planted. Im going to try for 5 next time.

Oh, and the insults were really flowing. Apparently being 10th prestige makes me a no life virgin, PDW using noob who sucks at the game. The joys of the CoD community.

Laser and foregrip.

Maybe its just me, but the forgrip only makes a difference when using LMGs and the SCAR. On other guns it feels like a wasted slot.

Red Blaster, use the PDW with extended mags and a laser, and then drop the laser when you can stay on target. The PDW is a 3 hit kill at close range, and with extended mags it has 65 rounds, which is overkill. You can blast through 5 or 6 guys before you need to reload

Foregrip does absolutely nothing except for on the scar. But the scar has perfect vertical recoil so there's no point in worrying. Never use a forgrip, as it is a wasted attachment.

bluehat9

After you prestige one of the options is to start at level 1. Does that reset all your challenge totals and emblem/callsign unlocks?

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
After you prestige one of the options is to start at level 1. Does that reset all your challenge totals and emblem/callsign unlocks?

It makes it as if you put the game in for the first time. Everything back to zero (challenges, stats, callsigns, leaderboard etc).

You do, however, gain a callsign card for doing it.

Stantron

The other day I join a game early in round 1 of Domination. My team is down by about 45 points against other team which seems to be mostly in a party. We rally to nearly come back. In round 2, we're only two points down with 10 seconds left but we've got two flags on lock down. At five seconds as we're about to overtake them in points, the host decides dash board. Wow, lol. Pathetic bitches can't stand competition. They need to beat up on randoms.

maomaoIYP

The other day I join a game early in round 1 of Domination. My team is down by about 45 points against other team which seems to be mostly in a party. We rally to nearly come back. In round 2, we're only two points down with 10 seconds left but we've got two flags on lock down. At five seconds as we're about to overtake them in points, the host decides dash board. Wow, lol. Pathetic bitches can't stand competition. They need to beat up on randoms.

Why do you think those folks with insane stats almost invariably play in a party?

You sound insane

zeelman

I started running VSAT/EMP/any higher streak tonight, and its so good. Its pretty easy to keep the streak going once I get the VSAT. Low streaks were kinda lame after that setup. Gonna carry over the VSAT when I Prestige again.

Makoto

I started running VSAT/EMP/any higher streak tonight, and its so good. Its pretty easy to keep the streak going once I get the VSAT. Low streaks were kinda lame after that setup. Gonna carry over the VSAT when I Prestige again.
I've been running the VSAT/EMP/Higher as well and I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did. I originally chose EMP as a sort of joke scorestreak but now it just feels... right. VSAT is amazing as always though.

adelante

There are groups of people that I often get matchmade with, always the same parties of solid players but never ones to quit a game before it's finished. If they lose (ie the team I'm playing in is actually competent enough), they just leave the lobby after the match ends. But sometimes I can't help but think they're just waiting wins after wins to get me on the final killcam, and THEN they leave the lobby cos usually I'm the only one in my team of randoms who can go toe-to-toe and annoy these guys lol

Makoto

I was thinking of the early impressions the game got from "YouTubers" and how off the mark they were or were not. Generally speaking, the impressions about scorestreaks seemed to be obvious. One guy said the gun balance was great while others specifically pointed to select SMGs as the guns to use. Almost interesting to read in retrospect.

High scorestreaks are VERY hard to get. If you play for KD, play the objective. You'll look ridiculous with half the score as the OBJ guy.
Pretty much spot on.

The knife lunge range in #BlackOps2 is HORREBDOUS. You have to be point blank.
Still not entirely sure about this. The knife is terrible no doubt but I've been led to believe it's a mix of both it's design and the connectivity issues. I've seen myself teleport to people when using the knife before.

Recoil. There is significant recoil in Black Ops 2. Gun WILL take skill.
I was skeptical about this seeing as how the videos hat accompanied these impressions led me to believe the opposite. I don't think this impression was correct, nor was it entirely wrong. BO2 recoil seems to be comparable to previous entries since CoD4. In other words, the recoil is still laughable.

Then the one I know you guys will have a field day with:
BlackOps2 has one of the best spawn systems I've seen. Not too quick to flip, never got spawned in front of somebody.
But who knows maybe the spawn system got changed in between the time the YouTubers got to try it and when it hit retail.

Original GAF thread.

Original reddit thread.

Jrmint

I just watched a video on that gun last night and head shots actually give no multiplier with that weapon.

YouTube the video called 'M8A1 In Depth'. It was very informative.

adelante

Just got my Chicom the select fire. Wow this smg just became my favorite.

A waste of attachment imho. It was my last smg that I needed to work thru to get diamond camo, and I found that I could easily rapid fire with no delay in between bursts. I'm actually thinking of making it my main weapon now..

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

how do I not suck ass

You get a good perk set from level 1 (well, 4 actually but w/e).

Lightweight, toughness (essential thanks to lag comp) and dexterity.

Use an SMG to start off with (unlock that PDW).

You don't really get a good AR until the FAL or the M27.

A waste of attachment imho. It was my last smg that I needed to work thru to get diamond camo, and I found that I could easily rapid fire with no delay in between bursts. I'm actually thinking of making it my main weapon now..

Same feeling with select fire on the FAL. Kind of pointless when I can manually shoot it faster in single shot than it fires in auto mode.

Jrmint

I know but I'm not great with burst fire, I personally just do better with full auto.

msmc with silencer and laser. My kdr has gone from 1.10 to 1.2 over the past two sessions.

msmc is freaking awesome. though i use fast mags and fmj with it. i agree that once you get really accurate with the laser, you can get a feel for how to use it without the sight and use a different attachment.

i love using the scar on longer or more wide open maps. i think the iron sight is great for ADS; just get that circle around the person's legs and fire a few shots and you've got a kill. again, fast mags and quick draw on it.

maomaoIYP

msmc is freaking awesome. though i use fast mags and fmj with it. i agree that once you get really accurate with the laser, you can get a feel for how to use it without the sight and use a different attachment.

i love using the scar on longer or more wide open maps. i think the iron sight is great for ADS; just get that circle around the person's legs and fire a few shots and you've got a kill. again, fast mags and quick draw on it.

I absolutely hate the scar. Long ranges the recoil knocks your shot all over the place. Close ranges you get eaten by smgs. It's hands down the worst AR. It's nowhere as good as either the M27 or AN94.

aku:jiki

If they're not going to fix the netcode, which they won't, they need to at least wisen the fuck up and rip out all the bullshit that exacerbates it. Get rid of flinching, lightweight, quickdraw, movement speed differences between weapon classes, stock/stalker and all this other crap. If they're not going to adress the elephant in the room, the least they can do is ease our pain and work around it instead of making it worse.

Then again, no game in the series - including the holy cow CoD4 - has gotten perks and attachments right so why should we expect them to start now?

Anyone know who set up the GAF clan? Just sent an application to join via Elite.
It's run by wsoxfan, isn't it? I dunno, I'm in a clan with my buddies. (You can't be in two clans on elite, can you?)

eek5

soxfan, isn't it? I dunno, I'm in a clan with my buddies. (You can't be in two clans on elite, can you?)
Correct. You can only be in one clan.

There are really no incentives to being in a clan this time around anyway. You get nothing from clan ops. No double xp or anything as rewards. The only thing I use clan for is an extended friends list to invite people to parties.

Correct. You can only be in one clan.

There are really no incentives to being in a clan this time around anyway. You get nothing from clan ops. No double xp or anything as rewards. The only thing I use clan for is an extended friends list to invite people to parties.

Yeah mainly just looking to connect with some GAF folks to play now and then

You get a good perk set from level 1 (well, 4 actually but w/e).

Use an SMG to start off with (unlock that PDW).

You don't really get a good AR until the FAL or the M27.

Same feeling with select fire on the FAL. Kind of pointless when I can manually shoot it faster in single shot than it fires in auto mode.

Is there a limit on how many sentry guns you can place? I just had a game of KC where i went 72/10, with 4 sentries planted. Im going to try for 5 next time.

Oh, and the insults were really flowing. Apparently being 10th prestige makes me a no life virgin, PDW using noob who sucks at the game. The joys of the CoD community.

Maybe its just me, but the forgrip only makes a difference when using LMGs and the SCAR. On other guns it feels like a wasted slot.

Red Blaster, use the PDW with extended mags and a laser, and then drop the laser when you can stay on target. The PDW is a 3 hit kill at close range, and with extended mags it has 65 rounds, which is overkill. You can blast through 5 or 6 guys before you need to reload

Thanks for the tips, the PDW is indeed awesome and I've since gotten my k/d to 1.2 since the last time I played. Also have done well with the SWAT on some of the bigger maps.

I absolutely hate the scar. Long ranges the recoil knocks your shot all over the place. Close ranges you get eaten by smgs. It's hands down the worst AR. It's nowhere as good as either the M27 or AN94.

Wow really? I had no idea it wasn't that great of a gun. Maybe i just got used to it, and the only other ar i tried wasthe mtar. But aren't the m27 and an94 semiautomatic or burst fire? I'm not really confident in those types of guns (eg m16 in mw2), but I guess I can give those a shot.

maomaoIYP

Wow really? I had no idea it wasn't that great of a gun. Maybe i just got used to it, and the only other ar i tried wasthe mtar. But aren't the m27 and an94 semiautomatic or burst fire? I'm not really confident in those types of guns (eg m16 in mw2), but I guess I can give those a shot.

I've always been an assault rifle user in every COD since 4, I'm more of a ranged dude, but dislike the waiting that comes with sniping. Both the M27 and AN94 are full auto guns, the AN94 simply shoots the 1st two rounds of faster, has great ironsights and works great at any range. M27 weakens out a bit over long range but unlocks much earlier and is very stable firing full auto.

There are 2 burst guns, the swat and the m8a1 and there are 2 semi autos, the FAL and the SMR. FAL is the best AR I think.

Nori Chan

Thanks for the tips, the PDW is indeed awesome and I've since gotten my k/d to 1.2 since the last time I played. Also have done well with the SWAT on some of the bigger maps.

Hate the swat. Hate hate hate it. Best equipment to use are bouncing betties too when you unlock them. They're still kinda op.

Anybody notice how your first clip in the gun has way more recoil than the rest of the ammo. I saw it while testing the recoil in customs.

Radec

I've always been an assault rifle user in every COD since 4, I'm more of a ranged dude, but dislike the waiting that comes with sniping. Both the M27 and AN94 are full auto guns, the AN94 simply shoots the 1st two rounds of faster, has great ironsights and works great at any range. M27 weakens out a bit over long range but unlocks much earlier and is very stable firing full auto.

There are 2 burst guns, the swat and the m8a1 and there are 2 semi autos, the FAL and the SMR. FAL is the best AR I think.

Same, though AR here in Blops2 is weaker than the previous CoDs.

I miss the MK14, TYPE95(MW3), FAMAS(BO), M16(MW2)

Those AR destroys everything. I can even deal with smg users at cqc. Even with suppressor on.

maomaoIYP

Same, though AR here in Blops2 is weaker than the previous CoDs.

I miss the MK14, TYPE95(MW3), FAMAS(BO), M16(MW2)

Those AR destroys everything. I can even deal with smg users at cqc. Even with suppressor on.

I blame the maps for the poorer AR performance in this game mostly. I really miss FAMAS and ACR from MW2 and M14 from MW3. M14 silenced was a 2 shot kill from most ranges, it was so great.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
I've been an AR user since COD4 as well. I've never used a class with any of the other weapon types ever.
I loved the single fire MK14 in MW3 and I had a 3.2 KD with it. Unfortunately the semi fire guns in this game really suffer from the lag compensation and I highly recommend you avoid using weapons such as the SMR and SWAT.

I've managed to get myself to 3.05 KD with FAL (12,000 kills) and a 3.26 KD with AN94 (7,500 kills). Having solely used FAL with select fire for ages, I switched to the AN94 and I find it the best AR in the game. I actually disliked it when I started using it until I got the stock+suppressor, so I'd recommend you keep at it until you get them.

The weapon/perk set-up I use is:

AN94: Stock + Suppressor
Ghost
Toughness
Tactical Mask + Dexterity

With stock you can move quickly whilst aiming down the sights, so typically when going around a corner I will ADS every time and strafe. Stock is really needed to counter the SMGs, you are simply too slow without stock.
I'd highly recommend this setup if you like using ARs.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

I abhor burst fire in Blops 2... Can't even get a 1 burst kill with the M8A1 with perfect center mass aim from 5 metres...

Loving the FAL though. first game I started using it went 50-7 or something on carrier.

So Many Bullets

Neo Member
All you guys that have such a strong pull to one gun or another and don't wish to deviate need to come over to hardcore where all the guns and bullets actually work. Run whatever you want! The bullets do things!

Do you hate the 556? It's a god in hardcore. SCAR-H got you down? Come over to hardcore. Want to run dual Executioners and actually score kills? Hardcore is for you.

Going after Diamond camo is KINDA fun, lol. Currently have LMG's and SMG's with diamond. Working on the shotguns now (just need the M1216). Also working on the Executioner which is veryyyyy annoying. Definitely need to play hardcore for that.

Made a new emblem:

54d10030cc86b1b93601d0ad7453f40f

I enjoy brainstorming for new emblems but sometimes my mind draws a blank.

When I first heard about hardcore mode not having a respawn time anymore, I was all for it...but after a while of playing, I have to switch my opinion and say I disagree with that change. I enjoyed spectating my teammates for those few seconds in hopes of witnessing something funny, lol.

Getting those 2 nuke calling cards was a bitch but I finally did it. Had to camp my ass off in Yemen FFA, which was uncomfortable for me since 99% of the time I'm running around.

Besides going for diamonds, I've been trying to collect every calling card. If it wasn't for those 2 things, I could see myself getting bored of this game quicker than the previous ones and taking a break until the DLC hits. Not because it's a bad game but because I feel I'm reaching the point where I'm burnt out on the series.

In case you guys don't know, there are clan challenges/operations this whole week. Capture the Flag starts right now, actually. Just sucks there's really no point to leveling up. Me and my friends are level 8 right now and the only thing we have to look forward to is the gold clan tag...and that's not even amazing, lol. I would have expected unlockable calling cards.

I like ARs the way they are. They shouldn't be as high damage as they were in MW3 and BO2. They should do less damage than LMGs not the same or more.

Heh. Decided to test Treyarch and do the prestige glitch to put my brother's account up to my master prestige. Both got reset and banned for six days.

Touche, 3arc.

Top Bottom