• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Toa TAK

Banned
Absolutely everything. You are left with 1 calling card:

8ZLbr.png

Well screw that. I'm never going to restart then. =\

You need to step your game up!

Yeah, UP YOUR GAME BRO!

Ha, I've figured out the un-magic lobby for me. A good number of games there will be two random people with 3 bar connections and the rest with 4 within our party of 6. When that happens, I get DESTROYED, like no chance unless I creep up on someone standing still out of a window or spray from behind or something. It doesnt even have to be me with the 3 bar or 4 bar, it doesnt matter. But when I see it, pain is near.

just went 72-5 using smoke grenades + dual band, not bad.

may start using this setup more often.

Dual Band is the most underrated attachment in the game. Everyone is so used to how it was in MW2 BO1 and MW3 where the anti-uav perk was also an anti-thermalscope perk. But coldblooded is so rare that Dual Band works wonders.

So much more useful than the variable scope.

u mad

Neo Member
Finally hit 2nd Prestige! I don't know how you guys can do it...

I did fresh start a day or two ago and I'm already almost level 50. Leveling can be done fast if you play in a way that rewards a lot of XP.

Dual Band is the most underrated attachment in the game. Everyone is so used to how it was in MW2 BO1 and MW3 where the anti-uav perk was also an anti-thermalscope perk. But coldblooded is so rare that Dual Band works wonders.

So much more useful than the variable scope.

Not to mention you can combine variable zoom with dual band (unlike with target finder), if you were so inclined.

Nori Chan

Just had my first 100 kill game in cod history...and it was on nuketown Demo lol. Went all 2 rounds and had 1 second left before the OT was over to plant it.

Pretty sure I had 30 some deaths. All I used was a Pdw and me blade. Along with uav, hailstorm, and stealth chopper. Good time too

I did fresh start a day or two ago and I'm already almost level 50. Leveling can be done fast if you play in a way that rewards a lot of XP.

Not to mention you can combine variable zoom with dual band (unlike with target finder), if you were so inclined.

variable zoom sucks though. would be more useful if it reduced recoil slightly when zoomed in.

infact, dualband+VZ seems to have more recoil in general than just dual band.

Just had my first 100 kill game in cod history...and it was on nuketown Demo lol. Went all 2 rounds and had 1 second left before the OT was over to plant it.

Pretty sure I had 30 some deaths. All I used was a Pdw and me blade. Along with uav, hailstorm, and stealth chopper. Good time too

Demolition on Nuketown is definitely the best way to get the most kills possible. In Black Ops 1, a match would usually be about 22 minutes long. With the new overtime rules, they're a bit shorter now in Black Ops 2, but you can still definitely get plenty of kills. Hellstorm and stealth chopper are good nuketown killstreaks as well.

Back in the Black Ops 1 days, I'd use vsat-chopper gunner-puppies and managed to get 181 kills in one game with a chopper i never used. When i went back to watch it in theater mode, it didn't even look like that good of a game. I counted and 96 kills came in one round lol.

u mad

Neo Member
variable zoom sucks though. would be more useful if it reduced recoil slightly when zoomed in.

infact, dualband+VZ seems to have more recoil in general than just dual band.

I agree, I never use it. Was just saying that if you for some reason wanted to use VZ (since you mentioned it), you could also use dual band at the same time.

I never use VZ, regardless of whether I'm using dual band.

I know everyone's seen the countless lag compensation videos, but this one is the best I've seen to date: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZoFnIckyoxg

I understand dedicated servers wouldn't resolve the issue, but it just puzzles me how the developers have not either resolved this issue or widely acknowledged it. Sure, there's countless complaints about every CoD title, ranging from thing needing to nerfed/buffed, to more technical issues such as lagging or frame rate drops. But to date, one issue has without question been brought up or reserved for blame more than the others collectively - lag compensation.

There's just no way the developers are unaware of this issue, so my main question is WHY have they not officially acknowledged the problem? If it's an issue that cannot be resolved, say so. If today's tech is not yet up to par to eliminate latency, say it. If it's all BS and a huge misconception, why not educate and correct the fanbase/masses? It just drives me up the wall to the point that for the first time ever for a CoD title, my friends and I have stopped playing after only two moths since launch. We all have what I'd consider to be better than average connections (the worst in our group being 50Mbps down, 5Mbps up), yet 90% of our matches are filled with the classic 'I turned the corner before I was being shot, yet I died 10ft away from the wall and was pulled back rewind style to die'.

I've personally gone above and beyond for this game. I got a new top-tier modem and the fastest package my ISP offers, abused the living shit out of my Time Warner Cable support (over 100 complaint calls and feedback from neighbors on the block all using TWC) to the point where I convinced them to not only come out and replace the main line on our street, but also schedule node decongestion way ahead of schedule so we're using their latest and greatest lines (TWC called it blades and data center?). My speeds are not only incredibly consistent, but are far better (higher) than I'm paying for. TWC also installed a monitoring device on my line to check activity for any dips during primetime hours, and it has not dipped since the decongestion in mid December.

I'm just at a loss and really wish someone from the dev world would break lag compensation down in it's entirely to the masses to better educate us. I've heard so many stories and supposed solutions, but no one 'fix' seems to be the key. The latest I'm hearing is that today's consoles just do not have the power to handle all the complex situations and data occurring at once and that things should be better next gen. Is this true or more BS?

u mad

Neo Member
I must be the only person playing BO2 that doesn't regularly encounter lag. I haven't had any real issues on my side, and I've been playing non-stop since release.

I must be the only person playing BO2 that doesn't regularly encounter lag. I haven't had any real issues on my side, and I've been playing non-stop since release.
Nah. Same here. You'd better duck and cover now though before ten people here take your head off for no reason for saying that as always.

The thing is, I NEVER experienced these issues in CoD4 or MW2 - they were perfect. It wasn't until BO that I really had to look into lag compensation, but it wasn't so bad it was unbearable. In MW3 I experienced it, but only enough times to count on two hands. With MW3, I'd just about bet my savings that I was always host when I played - I was always the first in the game, I always won 1v1 encounters or even 3v1 encounters the majority of the time, and it always seemed like I had some sort of advantage because people always seemed so, so off when shooting/meleeing at me., as if they were behind by a few seconds.

With BO2, it's completely unplayable and present in every match. So naturally I thought it was my ISP, but my friends who are equally as diehard for CoD, are having the same experience. One buddy of mine dropped DSL and went with Verizon Fios, and he still has the same issue. So we think maybe it's the platform and switched from PS3 to 360, only to find the problems is just as present there. So now we're back on PS3.

maomaoIYP

WHY have they not officially acknowledged the problem?

They don't care. Resolving it or not has no noticeable effect on sales. Same old problems since BO1, and sales keep going up. In addition, how many people read forums such as these and are actually aware of an actual issue? You can say "boycott their next game!" but that's gonna affect like what, 1% of their sales? Besides, everyone knows that besides this and Halo, every other MP game on consoles are graveyards.

u mad

Neo Member
shungokusatsu, I know this is probably going to sound stupid in how basic this suggestion is, but have you tried filtering the games by Best?

The only time I experienced any lag is when my game filter was at: [Normal]

Ever since I changed my filter to: [Best], I experience lag once in a blue moon.

Granted, it can take me much longer to find a game (I'm on some slow ass DSL, serious poverty Internet), I'm never really in a rush.

shungokusatsu, I know this is probably going to sound stupid in how basic this suggestion is, but have you tried filtering the games by Best?

Ever since I changed my filter to: [Best], I experience lag once in a blue moon.

Granted, it can take me much longer to find a game (I'm on some slow ass DSL, serious poverty Internet), I'm never really in a rush.

I don't think you're grasping what people are saying. When they mean "lag" in this context, they mean the fact that you're 1-2 seconds behind what is happening on the host; sort of like an extreme latency.

They don't care. Resolving it or not has no noticeable effect on sales. Same old problems since BO1, and sales keep going up. In addition, how many people read forums such as these and are actually aware of an actual issue? You can say "boycott their next game!" but that's gonna affect like what, 1% of their sales? Besides, everyone knows that besides this and Halo, every other MP game on consoles are graveyards.

I agree with the majority of what you've said. Why fix something if millions will buy your product with flaws, and you break new records with each and every release? But I disagree about players not being aware of lag compensation. I cannot express enough the number of hate messages or in-game complaints I've heard from both sides about lag compensation or host advantage.

Infinity Ward (current, not the masters) and Treyarch and two very different beasts. While MW3 did have its issues after launch, IW was very active and engaging about making changes, adding fixes and at least acknowledging problems. Treyarch on the other hand seems incredibly defensive. Every complaint about BO2 is shot own immediately with 'my metrics say otherwise so you're wrong' or 'prove it!' Just look at Vahn's responses; they're incredibly smug and matter-of-fact.

I praise Treyarch on their astoundingly quick action fixing the freezing and broken lobby issues on PS3 the very first week of launch, but they seem absolutely oblivious to making any changes aside form nerfs/buffs to weapons. It's been two months and we've seen a SINGLE patch that affects gameplay mechanics, with some bugs squashes but the majority of the changes being nerfs and buffs. It seems their focus is now DLC and if you're not happy with the current state of the game's issues, you're sol.

u mad

Neo Member
I don't think you're grasping what people are saying. When they mean "lag" in this context, they mean the fact that you're 1-2 seconds behind what is happening on the host; sort of like an extreme latency.

Like I mentioned, I haven't experienced any significant problems in game in regards to my connection, so you are correct in stating that I'm not grasping it.

I just know the only connectivity issued I ever experienced, albeit a minor one, was resolved via changing my connection filter. So I thought I'd suggest it in the unlikely chance it helped someone else.

Not at all man, any suggestions and help are always appreciated. But I've tried the best and normal connection settings and there's no change. In fact, using best does exactly what the in-game message warns about - it makes matchmaking take twice as long and I've found that the games it does find, if any players ever leave there are never new players joining to fill the empty slots. This sucks big time because if anyone rage quits on my team, it's basically 3v6 for the remainder of the match and my team is almost guaranteed to lose.

I also have all the PSN and BO2 ports open, and have tried using DMZ host as well. None of it offers any noticeable difference or improvement.

Enigma is right about my complaint. The biggest issue being that I run away from someone and turn a corner, then instantly die a few seconds later and the killcam is insanely inaccurate and behind, showing me not turning the corner or being no where near it. If you watch the video I linked above earlier, it shows numerous examples of this and it just makes you say WTF is going on.

maomaoIYP

I agree with the majority of what you've said. Why fix something if millions will buy your product with flaws, and you break new records with each and every release? But I disagree about players not being aware of lag compensation. I cannot express enough the number of hate messages or in-game complaints I've heard from both sides about lag compensation or host advantage.

Infinity Ward (current, not the masters) and Treyarch and two very different beasts. While MW3 did have its issues after launch, IW was very active and engaging about making changes, adding fixes and at least acknowledging problems. Treyarch on the other hand seems incredibly defensive. Every complaint about BO2 is shot own immediately with 'my metrics say otherwise so you're wrong' or 'prove it!' Just look at Vahn's responses; they're incredibly smug and matter-of-fact.

I praise Treyarch on their astoundingly quick action fixing the freezing and broken lobby issues on PS3 the very first week of launch, but they seem absolutely oblivious to making any changes aside form nerfs/buffs to weapons. It's been two months and we've seen a SINGLE patch that affects gameplay mechanics, with some bugs squashes but the majority of the changes being nerfs and buffs. It seems their focus is now DLC and if you're not happy with the current state of the game's issues, you're sol.

Well my take is that the folks who are aware of the problems tend to be a very small group of older gamers, small in the sense that it makes up a minority out of all the people playing. Heck, 90% of the time I play, the entire lobby is filled with kids, kids who don't really know or care about stuff like that. Even if they aren't kids, there's a good chance that they don't care about such stuff. Some of the guys I play with, they just want to shoot some stuff at the end of the day after work.

Even guys like me, who are aware of the problems and hate so many aspects of the game, still play. I'd give anything to play MW3 if it still had games where I don't lag.

Well my take is that the folks who are aware of the problems tend to be a very small group of older gamers, small in the sense that it makes up a minority out of all the people playing. Heck, 90% of the time I play, the entire lobby is filled with kids, kids who don't really know or care about stuff like that. Even if they aren't kids, there's a good chance that they don't care about such stuff. Some of the guys I play with, they just want to shoot some stuff at the end of the day after work.

Even guys like me, who are aware of the problems and hate so many aspects of the game, still play. I'd give anything to play MW3 if it still had games where I don't lag.

That's definitely me; at the end of a long work day I just want to sit down and frag people. My buddies and I have actually discussed going back to MW3 in the unlikely hope that Treyarch acknowledges issues and makes changes, but we're just about done with BO2. Our only fear is that while MW3 might still have a healthy pool of players, the only ones left will be the tryhards maxed out with 10.0+ k/d ratios who just smash everyone in sight.

u mad

Neo Member
What a waste.

There should be some badass callsign when you hit the reset while you are already a prestige master.

Didn't think of that. I guess it would make sense if it was different if you did fresh start at prestige master vs. lvl 1 prestige. That'd be pretty neat...oh well, it is what it is.

maomaoIYP

That's definitely me; at the end of a long work day I just want to sit down and frag people. My buddies and I have actually discussed going back to MW3 in the unlikely hope that Treyarch acknowledges issues and makes changes, but we're just about done with BO2. Our only fear is that while MW3 might still have a healthy pool of players, the only ones left will be the tryhards maxed out with 10.0+ k/d ratios who just smash everyone in sight.

Well I've tried playing quite a few MW3 matches recently, depending on where you live, you might be able to find some good matches. I'm mostly a TDM dude, and a majority of folks I've run into don't even break KDR of 1.

edit: Holy crap I just managed to get a relentless on TDM to clear up all the TDM challenges. That felt GREAT.

Tain

I have so much trouble simply getting online with this game (PC version). I think it's related to when someone else in the apartment is connected and playing as well.

And when we can both connect to the main matchmaking service, we still can't join each other's parties half the time.

Ports have been forwarded, client port command line arguments have been passed to the game, nothing has changed. This is the only game we've run into this issue with.

this is fuckin' stupid.

Cudder

What I don't get is, why am I ALWAYS the one on the shit end of lag comp? Why is it impossible for me to be the one that sees the other player a 1/2 second before they see me?

I'd love it if all the effort put into making treyarch fix any lag issues was redirected into making them buff the shotguns. They all suck in this game.

was that a joke?

the M1216 and S12 drop down to 6damage per pellet at a very close range and the 870 drops down to 10 damager per pellet if you aren't within a few meters of them.

KSG would have been more usable if it weren't for the ADS delay that occurs when you aim while moving.

u mad

Neo Member
The M1216 and especially the S12 really shine in hardcore. The S12 is my go to weapon in smaller maps on HC.

The 870 is fine, I wouldn't change it. With long barrel and laser, the game is almost in easy mode on maps like Nuketown and Hijack.

I enjoy using the KSG. Something very satisfying about getting 1HK with the silenced KSG.

M.W.

What I don't get is, why am I ALWAYS the one on the shit end of lag comp? Why is it impossible for me to be the one that sees the other player a 1/2 second before they see me?

I've often wondered this myself. I've just resorted to quitting any match in which I'm on the shit end, which is probably 9/10 matches. Glad they don't suspend people for quitting anymore.

u mad

Neo Member
I have yet to find an AR I like in this game. Maybe I'll keep looking.

Glad they don't suspend people for quitting anymore.

I wish they would do something other than just give a Loss. There is no incentive for my team to stay in the game if we are losing. Pretty annoying when half my team drops out of a Dom game because we are behind only like 30 pts.

u mad

Neo Member
Anyone find the "prohibited" words in this game to be a bit odd? Tried to name one of my LMG classes "LSAT" but couldn't, because apparently LSAT is a prohibited word.

Bit silly that the name of a firearm that is in the game is prohibited.

Anyone find the "prohibited" words in this game to be a bit odd? Tried to name one of my LMG classes "LSAT" but couldn't, because apparently LSAT is a prohibited word.

Bit silly that the name of a firearm that is in the game is prohibited.

Yup, I wanted "PUNK" coz I my emblem was CM Punks logo...but it was prohibited, later I was against a clan called "rape".....

bluehat9

So the 'hold all three flags for 3 minutes' challenge is never going to happen for me since I play solo, right? I don't think I've been in a game where our team has held all flags for 3 minutes in every game combined since I've been playing. And to think I first thought the challenge was for cumulative time, but nope, lol.

And for some reason I'm not getting credit for the challenge of using a gun with three attachments? FAL with select fire, quickdraw, and a scope apparently doesn't work? Anyone else hear of this problem?

u mad

Neo Member
I wonder how many diamond camos are legitimate and not just boosted. 25%? Probably less. Looks awful too.

Pretty easy to find out if you check their combat record. If they are Master Prestige with something like 3 days played, an absurd SPM (something like +600), most used equipment is tactical insertion with 10000000000000000000 uses, etc.

I'd say it is pretty typical for people who have played a good amount to have diamond camo for ~2 classes of weapon. When someone has diamond camo for everything, with like less than 6-9 days played, that is usually a red flag.

geekamania

Neo Member
Pretty easy to find out if you check their combat record. If they are Master Prestige with something like 3 days played, an absurd SPM (something like +600), most used equipment is tactical insertion with 10000000000000000000 uses, etc.

I'd say it is pretty typical for people who have played a good amount to have diamond camo for ~2 classes of weapon. When someone has diamond camo for everything, with like less than 6-9 days played, that is usually a red flag.

I didn't realize people boosted for diamond camos. All I assumed people boosted for was the nuclear killer card, since I see a ton of those on terrible players. What else are people boosting for?

To your point, I just hit max prestige & have diamond for two types (shotguns & SMGs).

u mad

Neo Member
I didn't realize people boosted for diamond camos. All I assumed people boosted for was the nuclear killer card, since I see a ton of those on terrible players. What else are people boosting for?

To your point, I just hit max prestige & have diamond for two types (shotguns & SMGs).

People will boost for everything and anything *shrug*

When you see Master Prestige with low playtime and great stats, this is typically the result of the duplicate glitch that allowed you to take the stats of someone else's account.

So what happened is that you had one original account where the person boosted to get all diamonds, high K/D ratio, etc. and then people started duplicating that one account. When you see a lobby where there are a bunch of clan members and all are Master Prestige, you should take a look at their stats. Odds are they will have pretty much identical stats.

The more they play, the less obvious it will be since their play time will become more legitimate, their K/D ratio will eventually begin to drop, and their SPM will decrease. Also, IIRC a huge amount of people who boosted and/or used the glitch were recently banned and reset (I believe they actually keep their deaths and losses, but don't keep their wins and kills).

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm trying to go for Diamond assault rifles. Two done so far, but it's definitely going to be awhile before I kill players with my diamond M27.

Top Bottom