• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Voltron64

After playing for two nights, so far my biggest disappointment is the hit detection. Feels just as bad as BLOPS, no improvement has been made.

Gorillaz

After playing for two nights, so far my biggest disappointment is the hit detection. Feels just as bad as BLOPS, no improvement has been made.
That is one of the reasons I never was a big fan of 3arc's MP and netcode. It was the same in both black ops and w@w.

aku:jiki

That's really not good news at all.

Do you even have to aim in this game?
Black Ops and MW3 were the same in that regard.

rangersfan414 said:
If you're a long time player, you'd remember B on Afghan, A on Estate, and B on Terminal were nearly impossible to destroy. Terminal B isn't even difficult in this game anymore. B on Afghan, the enemies legit spawned right behind it, but with MW3 logic, they'd go spawn by the grass area behind the bunkers if your team pushed up to B.
Well, in essence, this is what you're talking about in your whole post. The only time Demo spawns were busted in the previous games were in these select instances you're talking about here (and, as another example, Havana in BO1 was unplayable in Demo due to the spawn placements). And there was a very easy counter to those few broken bomb sites: tactical insertions. Just put one down by the log piles right outside the house on Estate B and you've got a stew going.

Every other time, both teams had the same distance to the bomb site as the other and it came down to how oganized the teams were and how intelligently they played. In MW3, they changed it so that it just comes down to spawns. You say that the game would try to intelligently spawn people in relation to where other people were (so if team 1 is planting A, team 2 would spawn closer to B), but due to the chaotic nature of public match play, that never really happened. What would happen is that me and my 2 buddies would move in on A and a bunch of randoms on both teams would be all over the map doing whatever the fuck it is randoms do, some kid would die and then respawn right outside of A and just turn around and toss in a grenade to see if he could lucky.

On the majority of maps, there were spawn points "pointing" to both bomb sites (some closer to A, some closer to B), which meant that it was impossible to get a complete spawn lock going. Any halfway decent player would realize that the opposing team can't lock both A and B at the same time and would just head for the one with least resistance, and having someone standing right where you spawn was a very rare thing due to the number of spawn points available. All of these spawn-trapping videos that IW and Treyarch were so worried about were just exploiting poor design choices on select maps, not an epidemic that needed to be quelled with entirely new spawn logic. Like Vonderhaar wrote angry tweets and fucked with the spawning over that 500+ kill video in Black Ops 1, completely ignoring that it was only possible on Havana and not an overall problem in Demolition as a whole.

And, personally, Estate/Afghan/Terminal is the most fun I've ever had with CoD. The battles over the tough bomb sites on those maps is as intense and thrilling as the game ever gets. The battles were epic and the tension would be running high when your team finally managed to clear the area and lock down the most strategic positions, with 10 seconds left on the clock to plant.

Portugeezer

How many people are gonna jump right into multiplayer?

I'll prob play a few rounds of multi then do a few zombie matches.

Ill probably get the campaign finished during wed/Thursday.

I will try it. In MW3 I didn't even touch the campaign, COD campaigns generally don't interest me but BLOPS 2 has me interested.

Black Ops and MW3 were the same in that regard.

Well, in essence, this is what you're talking about in your whole post. The only time Demo spawns were busted in the previous games were in these select instances you're talking about here (and, as another example, Havana in BO1 was unplayable in Demo due to the spawn placements). And there was a very easy counter to those few broken bomb sites: tactical insertions. Just put one down by the log piles right outside the house on Estate B and you've got a stew going.

Every other time, both teams had the same distance to the bomb site as the other and it came down to how oganized the teams were and how intelligently they played. In MW3, they changed it so that it just comes down to spawns. You say that the game would try to intelligently spawn people in relation to where other people were (so if team 1 is planting A, team 2 would spawn closer to B), but due to the chaotic nature of public match play, that never really happened. What would happen is that me and my 2 buddies would move in on A and a bunch of randoms on both teams would be all over the map doing whatever the fuck it is randoms do, some kid would die and then respawn right outside of A and just turn around and toss in a grenade to see if he could lucky.

On the majority of maps, there were spawn points "pointing" to both bomb sites (some closer to A, some closer to B), which meant that it was impossible to get a complete spawn lock going. Any halfway decent player would realize that the opposing team can't lock both A and B at the same time and would just head for the one with least resistance, and having someone standing right where you spawn was a very rare thing due to the number of spawn points available.

And, personally, Estate/Afghan/Terminal is the most fun I've ever had with CoD. The battles over the tough bomb sites on those maps is as intense and thrilling as the game ever gets. The battles were epic and the tension would be running high when your team finally managed to clear the area and lock down the most strategic positions, with 10 seconds left on the clock to plant.

Well I guess we like the game differently. It seems that you like the idea of spawn trapping, so you prefer dom people to constantly spawn on their one flag or demo people to constantly spawn only in their base on their side of the map. I prefer a game where it's not about which team spawnkills the other team. I want a normal game with safe spawns and people can just play. I haven't noticed anything hard about planting. Yes some teams spawn closer to one bombsite, like on Bakaara, people spawn on top of the B street, but usually it's about defending one bombsite. It doesn't happen often having a 2 bomb defense win. So I guess we just like the games differently and for me it changed for the better.

are you on 360? PS3?

cause if you're on 360 and you complain about hit detection then PS3...

OMG BO1 all over again, sigh...

Victrix

*beard*
If the netcode is really like BO and not CoD4/MW2 (or, at worst, MW3 post patches) I'm going to be really bummed the hell out

I've been playing every CoD over the last few weeks, and BO had the worst netcode by far

Jack_AG

Banned
All this bad talk makes me want to pull my preorder. This will be my first CoD game since MW2.

Funny cuz we've heard a lot of people give glowing impressions - amazing how 1 or 2 negative impressions destroy whatever hype a lot more positive impressions built up.

Not sure what to do. Money is tight so I don't want to be throwing around 60 bucks on bad games and i'm extremely tired of BF3.

tuco11

Is Hardcore TDM available at start or do have to reach a certain level first? Any impressions or videos from any of the hardcore modes yet? I

All this bad talk makes me want to pull my preorder. This will be my first CoD game since MW2.

Funny cuz we've heard a lot of people give glowing impressions - amazing how 1 or 2 negative impressions destroy whatever hype a lot more positive impressions built up.

Not sure what to do. Money is tight so I don't want to be throwing around 60 bucks on bad games and i'm extremely tired of BF3.

You should purchase the game. Campaign is phenomenal...Zombies is amazing too. Multiplayer is fun, but impressions are mixed right now because everybody online is a very competitive skilled player. Connections aren't the greatest now either because there aren't very many people to choose from while in matchmaking.

When the game releases and people have solid connections and it returns to normal call of duty, where you can play every game mode and league play etc.. I believe it'll be a great game.

Is Hardcore TDM available at start or do have to reach a certain level first? Any impressions or videos from any of the hardcore modes yet? I

Every game mode is available. You no longer have to unlock them.

Jack_AG

Banned
You should purchase the game. Campaign is phenomenal...Zombies is amazing too. Multiplayer is fun, but impressions are mixed right now because everybody online is a very competitive skilled player. Connections aren't the greatest now either because there aren't very many people to choose from while in matchmaking.

When the game releases and people have solid connections and it returns to normal call of duty, where you can play every game mode and league play etc.. I believe it'll be a great game.

Every game mode is available. You no longer have to unlock them.
Yeah I might as well. I'm really looking forward to zombies. As long as Trey patches issues and doesn't pull a Dice i'll be happy.

Gorillaz

Eh...I would still invest. Atleast redbox it the first 2 days like i do just to get a feel for the game.

I hope I can get lucky and find a redbox to rent this and try out the multi myself, I just need a new good multiplayer game for the holiday dammit.

DTKT

Bad hit detection + bad spawn system have me a bit worried.

I was about to pre-order and and pre-load but I'll wait for the game to be out and some more impressions.

Hey I am thinking of getting this but I was wondering if anyone who is getting the PS3 hardened would be willing to trade me their Nuketown Zombies code for a month of PS+ code. I am not really into special editions but I loved zombies in the last game and I don't need an extra month of PS+ (I got it when I bought the AC3 season pass).

I am quoting this again, but to save me from searching through the previous pages, just pm me if you are interested.

Gorillaz

I hope I can get lucky and find a redbox to rent this and try out the multi myself, I just need a new good multiplayer game for the holiday dammit.
Go online and reserve it at close by redbox...trust me if you live in a big city like me the game will be rented from literally every redbox within 5-10 miles of you by tuesday mirning.

Go online and reserve it at close by redbox...trust me if you live in a big city like me the game will be rented from literally every redbox within 5-10 miles of you by tuesday mirning.
I know it sucks because as far as I know online reserves don't have a set time to come online in the a.m, they don't come on at midnight and by the time I wake up, they're usually gone.

Floex

So are the maps as small as MW3? Can hardly remember a thing of that game but this was one of the main issues

Add me to the 'MW3 had by far, by far, the worst spawning

I really don't know how people can stand playing anything other than search and destroy :p

Every time I watch it just doesn't seem THAT fun to me. I guess I just don't like respawning. You die, you lose!

Madtown_

I really don't know how people can stand playing anything other than search and destroy :p

Every time I watch it just doesn't seem THAT fun to me. I guess I just don't like respawning. You die, you lose!

I wish that some game modes would require you at least watch the killcam before respawning. Could prevent some of the revenge deaths and slow things down at times.

I just put it on mute lol.

This stream is alleviating fears about health for me, now it's just good maps and decent spawns.
What are you seeing about the health? can't see stream.
Hope health feels higher/damage lower, but that's a personal preference.

Top Bottom