• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Whats the general consensus on the 4 new DLC maps? Do they allow for more strategy than the original maps or are they a little chaotic too?
Hows the new gun? Does it display emblems well?

Whats the general consensus on the 4 new DLC maps? Do they allow for more strategy than the original maps or are they a little chaotic too?

I like the new gun. Very versatile, it's literally almost taking a assault rifle and sub machine gun and fusing them together. The new maps aren't bad. Grind can be fun at first, but got annoying after awhile. Hydro is ok, feels small though. Downhill is my favorite, feels big and is fun to play demolition. Mirage is not bad, can have it's good games and bad games. Overall I think they add good variety.

Jrmint

Downhill is the best map in the game in my opinion.
Hydro is also very fun.
Grind I could go either way on but people really like it.
Mirage I don't like at all.

Peacekeeper is awesome though. It has great range, it's best to use on medium sized maps. It is perfect for Downhill. Close range it takes one extra bullet to kill than a PDW or MSMC so it's not as great in that range.

Anyone seen this picture doing the rounds:

r3yYktm.jpg

A lot of people are calling it as fake.

Not sure myself....

Jrmint

Just realized - how would you have a map in a plane only anyway? That'd be like the smallest map ever.

0/10 on that fake picture.

I like the new gun. Very versatile, it's literally almost taking a assault rifle and sub machine gun and fusing them together. The new maps aren't bad. Grind can be fun at first, but got annoying after awhile. Hydro is ok, feels small though. Downhill is my favorite, feels big and is fun to play demolition. Mirage is not bad, can have it's good games and bad games. Overall I think they add good variety.

Downhill is the best map in the game in my opinion.
Hydro is also very fun.
Grind I could go either way on but people really like it.
Mirage I don't like at all.

Peacekeeper is awesome though. It has great range, it's best to use on medium sized maps. It is perfect for Downhill. Close range it takes one extra bullet to kill than a PDW or MSMC so it's not as great in that range.

Ok. Thanks guys.
I'll probably grit my teeth and fork out the 1200 MSP for it soon.

Playing this game solo can be hell. No one knows how to play this shit.

Just hit me up if you see me on Steam and don't want to run solo. I'm usually up for a game; I've just been horribly addicted to Fire Emblem as of late so playing BLOPS2 by myself is low priority.

It sucks that the WiiU version is getting the red-headed stepchild treatment. The multiplayer is on par with what I remember the PS3 version looking like and the off-screen play is a terrific feature for this game. Shame, really.

popeutlal

It sucks that the WiiU version is getting the red-headed stepchild treatment. The multiplayer is on par with what I remember the PS3 version looking like and the off-screen play is a terrific feature for this game. Shame, really.
There simply aren't enough players for Activision to pay attention to the Wii U version. Before christmas there were around 1500 players now there are about 3000-3500 players at any given night...well blame Nintendo putting out a device that only a few people want.

And forget what I said about Wii U players being really good, majority of them are just terrible, with any control scheme.

eek5

I can't even fathom playing this game with randoms and having voice chat on. How do you guys do it?

Usually goes like this:
Me: Hey everyone, what's going on? What's up "gamertag"?
Silence..

then occasionally I'll get:
Me: Hey everyone, what's going on?
Someone: Not much.
Me: Sup dude. You partied up?
Them: Nope
Me: I'll pick you up.

Then I back out and invite them and build my rag tag unstoppable pub party, one person at a time. Sometimes people are annoying as shit and I end up just straight up muting them while they're in my game but I'll still do callouts and they seem to hear them. Other times I'll run into really chill dudes that are decent at COD and I'll end up sending them a friend request after 4-5 matches.

SadAli

Neo Member
I can't even fathom playing this game with randoms and having voice chat on. How do you guys do it?

Pretty much the only way I play unless it's a rare occasion when a friend is on. To be honest I tend to not even turn my headset on anymore and just zone out to the waffle, occasionally muting when someone has too much static, a nasty cold or is just plain boring.

Always live in hope that I'll hear something interesting and be encouraged to join in though guess I'm not helping the situation by remaining tight lipped.

Probably doesn't help that for some reason BLOPS II is convinced that I want to continually play games with people from mainland Europe rather than someone a little more local.

Jrmint

Eh I think I'm going back to MW2. I dunno.
I tried that and was definitely remembering that game with rose colored glasses. The play style is completely different than Black Ops 2. Maybe that's what you like, but it was completely unplayable to me now.

HPhins54

Neo Member
I disliked the game from the start and forced myself to play it to feel like I got my money out of it. Figured that the problems in the game would be fixed eventually and took a few months off.

Fast forward to this week. Decided to give it another shot and I feel like it hasn't changed. Going to finish the campaign and probably trade it in for what little amount I can get. I very rarely trade in games, but I just don't see myself ever touching the MP again.

I'll throw in MW3 when I need my CoD fix.

eek5

I tried that and was definitely remembering that game with rose colored glasses. The play style is completely different than Black Ops 2. Maybe that's what you like, but it was completely unplayable to me now.

I went back to play some MW3. I don't remember if it was like this before but holy shit are there a lot of corner campers. I played in 5-6 different TDM lobbies and at least half the team was just corner camping in every single match. That and clearing a room, turning my back then having someone spawn in the room I cleared even though it is in between all my teammates.

Maybe I used to check every single corner back when I played MW3 but I don't remember that at all. I barely even check corners in BO2 because when you have teammates positioned there are a ton of "safe zones" that you can just run through.

All the good players have vacated from that game though. It's so bizarre. Everyone is <80 and they all have K/D's less than 0.8 in TDM.

I tried to play BO1 to see how that was but I guess my disc cracked or something. Can't find my MW2 or COD4 discs. :/

I went back to play some MW3. I don't remember if it was like this before but holy shit are there a lot of corner campers. I played in 5-6 different TDM lobbies and at least half the team was just corner camping in every single match. That and clearing a room, turning my back then having someone spawn in the room I cleared even though it is in between all my teammates.

Maybe I used to check every single corner back when I played MW3 but I don't remember that at all. I barely even check corners in BO2 because when you have teammates positioned there are a ton of "safe zones" that you can just run through.

All the good players have vacated from that game though. It's so bizarre. Everyone is <80 and they all have K/D's less than 0.8 in TDM.

I tried to play BO1 to see how that was but I guess my disc cracked or something. Can't find my MW2 or COD4 discs. :/

MW3 was always like that lol, alot of corner camping and alot of getting shot in the back. Black Ops 2 flows much better.

Hello you fine bunch of fellows,

So today i bought black ops 2 on the ps3.

i'd never played a call of duty multiplayer before so i was quite looking forward to it

i got it home, booted it up, installed the inevitable patch, pressed play online, signed in, and then got an error message saying that i was unable to connect to the black ops 2 servers

did a bit of googling and it turns out it used to be quite a common problem, and i'm guessing it still is a problem, there are various solutions and various yeahs and nehs of its effectivness

so yeah, kinda looking for some help from a some wonderfully helpful soul to point me in the right direction, any solution i should be going for, please help :(

i play plenty of multiplayer games on my playstation, so why is black ops a mess,

are treyarch just a bunch of fuckin' hacks?

HiiiLife

Still the same ol unbalanced mess? Or are the hackers a lot more rampant nowadays? I just miss CoD4 & MW2 so much. Haha.

xJavonta

Banned
Fersure. I never liked MW2 (only played it because that's what everyone else I knew was playing haha)

However, I played it on PC about a year and a half ago and enjoyed it a lot more on there than X360 for some reason.

I just picked up MW3 again and I'm really enjoying it. I actually had some of that double XP stuff left over in my account and that lasted for quite awhile and helped me level up my stuff. I always found MW3 fun though, when it released I raved about how great it was in comparison to the other CoDs.

Actually, here's a video of me playing MW3. It's short since the render limit in that game is like 30 seconds, so I had to speed the clip up to 2x the speed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvo9pgZhU2U

Jrmint

Still the same ol unbalanced mess? Or are the hackers a lot more rampant nowadays? I just miss CoD4 & MW2 so much. Haha.
The biggest difference I noticed is the lack of rushing as a good tactic. I'm not one who likes to stay in one place for long and MW2 just does not support that. Back when I played that game I was much more of a camper so I probably liked that, but now I like to stay on the move. That game just supports camping so much more. Only certain maps are good for staying on the move, invasion comes to mind.

And of course the prevalence of noob tubes.

It's hard to put into words, it just felt completely different.

xJavonta

Banned
The biggest difference I noticed is the lack of rushing as a good tactic. I'm not one who likes to stay in one place for long and MW2 just does not support that. Back when I played that game I was much more of a camper so I probably liked that, but now I like to stay on the move. That game just supports camping so much more. Only certain maps are good for staying on the move, invasion comes to mind.

And of course the prevalence of noob tubes.

It's hard to put into words, it just felt completely different.

OH GOD DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON THAT SHIT

Jrmint

But noob tube rants are so fun :)

Remember getting killed them right when the game starts bc people figured out the exact angle to shoot them at? Boy I miss those days...

HPhins54

Neo Member

CoD 4 is still by far my favorite in the series as far as the MP goes. I still play it on PS3 sometimes. It's pretty easy to get a game, but it can be laggy. Thankfully, I've not run into too many hackers.

MW2 was such a huge let down. I was so hyped because I loved 4 and between the glitches (care package and javelin come to mind), and the grenade launcher/OMA perk combo, I never really enjoyed it.

Nebula

So it turns out that I may have been wrecking my 360 controllers thanks to the way I do something on Call of Duty, and according to my Brother, I've been doing it since Call of Duty 4 released.

I constantly click in the analog stick when running. I've been told this multiple times for a month or two now and it's really starting to annoy me, yet I keep doing it. I'm sure it's killing whatever controller I happen to be using as well and I would really like to stop doing it.

Anyone have something controller related they used to do that annoyed them and managed to stop doing it? I'd love some help on this.

Also screw the LSW. Gun just isn't for me.

I've had a consistently good experience the last month with Black Ops 2, but the last couple days has been awful again, extreme lag spikes constantly now, and back to taking damage late into cover and getting insta-killed around corners by players who can't even break even, on top of a bunch of other little things being affected again. Plus I'm getting something I didn't get before; input lag, really, really bad input lag at times. Shit sucks man. I'll chalk it up to bad luck and just take a break from the game for a few days.

HiiiLife

CoD 4 is still by far my favorite in the series as far as the MP goes. I still play it on PS3 sometimes. It's pretty easy to get a game, but it can be laggy. Thankfully, I've not run into too many hackers.

MW2 was such a huge let down. I was so hyped because I loved 4 and between the glitches (care package and javelin come to mind), and the grenade launcher/OMA perk combo, I never really enjoyed it.

I actually picked up CoD4 and MW2 and made a new gamertag. Surprisingly, I never came into a single hacked lobby on either game. I really enjoyed my time. I know most players moved onto future CoDs but I'm enjoying going against familiar faces on these old past ones. Lol.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Is there anything better than dropping two sentry guns at two spawn points? lol, went 18-1 without really doing anything.

SeanR1221

Is there anything better than dropping two sentry guns at two spawn points? lol, went 18-1 without really doing anything.

My best game ever (25-0) on Grind had a set up with sentry guns.

I earned the care package and sentry gun. My care package gave me another sentry gun. I put one in the upstairs center building facing the outside area, and the other facing the ramp area. I then earned another sentry gun and put it by the stairs. I basically just sat between the three sentry guns and let the kills rack up.

I joined a Domination round last night where the score was about 150-4 when I joined (I was on the losing team).

I had several kills, captured several points but my team's score never increased.

Has anybody else seen this?

Sentry gun is definitely my favorite, especially considering I play Domination pretty much exclusively.

Once in awhile it will get taken out really quick by people with EMP grenades, but usually it just does a beastly job of holding down B flag for my team.

so while prestiging, my kdr has dropped in playing mostly kill confirmed. but man, once i get bouncing betties + scavenger that shit jumps straight up. im only on prestige 2 i might just stay level 55 (when i get there) until another double xp weekend. im slowly working on prestiging weapons, but i dont really enjoy that process.

i normally use the msmc, and i starting using the skorpion. seems like it could benefit from either fast mags or extended clip, but it's really great on hijacked and other smaller maps. i cannot stand using the mp7 ever again.

i think once i finish prestiging the scar i'll pick up the mtar again and try out the m27.

edit: i loved me some scavenger + danger close noob tube action in MW2!

Top Bottom