• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Well I feel like an idiot. I've been using the SCAR exclusively since I unlocked it but never realized it recoils only to the right :p

Havent seen any mention of this hack yet. Two guys were invincible, calling in non stop lightning strikes off the bat without even getting a kill and all players on his team eventually kept teleporting to the same flag. Strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z28zR9DkslM

Theater mode from hacking players POV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OsdW6cSApQ

I think I was in a match like this earlier, my teammates kept calling in lightning strikes even thought none of them seemed to be doing well enough to call that many in.

edit: nope, false alarm

Not to be a nuisance, but how is the game doing since the January patch on PS3?

I dont play Blops II, but always hope a new patch will change my mind (I have the game, just dont put it in as I dont like to put up with some of the way mechanics are tuned)

eek5

I dont play Blops II, but always hope a new patch will change my mind (I have the game, just dont put it in as I dont like to put up with some of the way mechanics are tuned)

They haven't changed any major mechanics so you probably still won't like it.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Its pretty much the same.

zeelman

I don't get it, its Double Weapon XP weekend and the game is horrible and laggy mess again, even though there's less people playing then on Double XP weekends. The game decided I should have Open NAT, so it should work fine. I love how my NAT type is not a reliable indicator of how good my connection will be in this game.

I don't get it, its Double Weapon XP weekend and the game is horrible and laggy mess again, even though there's less people playing then on Double XP weekends. The game decided I should have Open NAT, so it should work fine. I love how my NAT type is not a reliable indicator of how good my connection will be in this game.

I don't think NAT effects your in-game connection much. Its got more to do with matchmaking and stuff like that.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Doesn't NAT dictate who you can connect to, not the quality of the connection itself? So it doesn't matter if NAT is open if the other people you are playing with just have shitty connections anyway.

Jrmint

What are your guys favorite snipers and sniper setups?

I'm currently loving the XPR 50, I'm not the greatest sniper so the semi auto is helpful and it still has nice 1 hit potential.

Currently running Ballistic CPU and Fast Mag on it, looking forward to trying the thermal scope.

I'm currently loving the XPR 50, I'm not the greatest sniper so the semi auto is helpful and it still has nice 1 hit potential.

Currently running Ballistic CPU and Fast Mag on it, looking forward to trying the thermal scope.

Don't like the sway on the XPR. :/

I don't think NAT effects your in-game connection much. Its got more to do with matchmaking and stuff like that.

Exactly. All NAT really does is allows all your devices connected to you network router to use one "public" IP instead of every device using their own IPs online. Its more for "saving" on IP addresses then it is the actual connection speeds.

eek5

My favorite snipers are probably XPR50 and DSR50. Here are my setups:

SVU/DSR/Ballista + BCPU
XPR+ACOG

Then I'll usually run Kap, BR23 or Tac-45 + emags, overkilled naked SMG or lately I've been just using a naked shotgun.

For SVU, I just use it like a scoped 2-shot Fal.

kb8Ynta.png

My SVU k/d would probably be up there too but I 1.3'd 200 kills or something soloing HCKC to gold it. I am a scumbag.

Rubenov

At Gamestop, don't know anything about this game, just want something to play.

Quick decision, 360 or PS3? Live is not relevant to this.

I like the part of this game where you're shooting someone, you've put about 8 shots into them but they're still alive, and as you continue shooting you know you've already lost. The game has decided they will not be dying from your weapon. Just awesome lag. Today I even hit someone in the chest twice with a sniper rifle and they lived. That was a new low for me.

eek5

xJavonta

Banned

DSR-50. Hands down, that bolt-action is just too good

This is quite possibly the most annoying thing ever.

Nori Chan

My go to sniper class

DSR W/Variable zoom
B23R W/Silencer

Ghost
Cold Blooded, Fast Hands
Awareness

Claymore

DSR is hands down the best sniper for me and the raffica if just too good in CQ.

eek5

The funniest thing about that footage is that if you were up against any other gun you would have been long gone but of course the S12 and its 6 damage per pellet.....

Yeah but if you look at the frame right before I pull the trigger (and even the trigger frame) I'm right on his char model even on the very first shot. I should've killed him in 5 of my shots but there was weird latency where his model wasn't actually where it was on my screen. It's a weird desync issue.

yep, the core of this game is so broken.

They need to rework the whole engine. IMO it all started with that theatre mode.
They just keep adding bs to the engine witch it was not designed for, but hey , i you keep pushing these things out every year it will never change probably.

legacyzero

Banned
Max joining us PC guys, eh?

You have to embrace the M/KB, Max. It's really the only way you can compete with the PC people. I tried playing with a pad, and you just get murdered.

My advice? Get you a Mouse that works for you, (I roll with a Deathadder. Simple, yet ergonomic and satisfying.) customize your controls to work best for you, and take em to school.

But then again, I've never really seen eye-to-eye with Max on COD (on which ones were good/bad). It's almost opposite :lol. I despise MW2, LOVE Black Ops. I'm not a fan of BLOPS II, he seems to like it.

Fantastic video by Maxilmillian that really sums up Black Ops 2.

Sounding Off: Can Black Ops 2 Be Saved?

i have the exact same situation as him.

All my friends stopped playing and i also switched to pc and i have to say it's been great! It still has some of these WTF moments but way WAY less often then on console.
Dedicated servers really helps this game a lot. It is like a whole different game.

I was a +4 kd player on console and i was really struggling with mouse and keyboard (been from my quake/cs days that i have actively used one)
But it is slowly rising again, it sits at a + 3 ish right now and i'm happy with that.

i also been playing allot of BF3 and that has been Frigging amazing on pc!
I'm secretly hoping that bf4 on consoles actually do runs at 60fps because i still like to play on console(all my irl buddies are there)

Fantastic video by Maxilmillian that really sums up Black Ops 2.

Sounding Off: Can Black Ops 2 Be Saved?

Modern Warfare 3 ever being fixed is revisionism as far as I'm concerned, sure they acknowledged an issue, but for me, nothing was ever fixed.I wouldn't attribute the number of 100 kill games to any lag disparity either;first off that's a lot harder to prove and is running off a number of assumptions on what the guy you're facing is experiencing so the argument has little merit. Killstreaks being WAY stronger than ever before and smaller maps feeding people to the meat grinder quicker are really the only reasons why; I've seen videos of people getting 100 kill games with only 20-30 gun kills and that says everything I need to know right there(edit:how many did Max even get?).

I've had my issues with lag, still do really. The game is inconsistent for me. But I'm not going to speak for the whole CoD community and project my opinion onto what I feel others might be experiencing. So I'll speak for myself; the notion that Black ops needs to be saved is a bit absurd to me, and I don't feel there's been a real consensus reached as to whether there is a problem or not. If I get in a laggy match, I quit and I can usually find a better one, and really I can't ask for much more at this point. As far as others having problems it feels like a mixed bag (at least more so than the last few Call of Duties), both here and other forums, I mean we've had quite a few people here step forward and say the game is fine for them, so really if there is an issue I think signs point to it not being widespread at least. Really, you just have to acknowledge that online play on consoles is far from perfect and is gonna come with it's fair share of bs with all games,just take the good with the bad and roll with it; or not and migrate to pc like Max.

Modern Warfare 3 ever being fixed is revisionism as far as I'm concerned, sure they acknowledged an issue, but for me, nothing was ever fixed.I wouldn't attribute the number of 100 kill games to any lag disparity either;first off that's a lot harder to prove and is running off a number of assumptions on what the guy you're facing is experiencing so the argument has little merit. Killstreaks being WAY stronger than ever before and smaller maps feeding people to the meat grinder quicker are really the only reasons why; I've seen videos of people getting 100 kill games with only 20-30 gun kills and that says everything I need to know right there(edit:how many did Max even get?).

I've had my issues with lag, still do really. The game is inconsistent for me. But I'm not going to speak for the whole CoD community and project my opinion onto what I feel others might be experiencing. So I'll speak for myself; the notion that Black ops needs to be saved is a bit absurd to me, and I don't feel there's been a real consensus reached as to whether there is a problem or not. If I get in a laggy match, I quit and I can usually find a better one, and really I can't ask for much more at this point. As far as others having problems it feels like a mixed bag (at least more so than the last few Call of Duties), both here and other forums, I mean we've had quite a few people here step forward and say the game is fine for them, so really if there is an issue I think signs point to it not being widespread at least. Really, you just have to acknowledge that online play on consoles is far from perfect and is gonna come with it's fair share of bs with all games,just take the good with the bad and roll with it; or not and migrate to pc like Max.

I'd say there was definitely an issue during pre-release and the first couple weeks after street date. Now, it's more similar to every other Call of Duty to the point where if you have 4 bars, you're in a solid game. 3 bars is just quit out immediately and search again, cause then you're playing at a disadvantage. I'm sure people are getting mad because others use lightweight and strafe all over their screen or pop out and kill them before they can react, but it definitely isn't lag compensation.

MW3 only really had the lag compensation issue if you were host. It was fixed pretty quickly and now that game is just as perfect as the rest. Play on 4 bars and there is never an issue.

If you were to put in an Call of Duty right now and get into a lobby where you have 4 bars or host, your connection will be fine. The whole thing where people claim 2 bar people lead lobbies because they are compensated is kinda bullshit. Go play on 2 bars yourself and see how much of a disadvantage you are playing on. And if you're host, you still have the best connection, no matter which Call of Duty it is. The advantage is nowhere near as large as it used to be, but it's still there, just miniscule.

To sum up, if you're playing in a 4 bar lobby, and claim lag compensation is fucking you up, that's not true. And if you're playing in a 1-3 bar lobby, it's not lag compensation, it's the fact that you're too far away from the host, therefore on a higher ping, so you're playing on a few millisecond delay compared to others, which can explain all these situations where you unload and they turn around and kill you.

And I don't really feel like debating with anybody, especially Fantasmo or Mr. Enigma. If you disagree and wanna have an intelligent conversation, then I'll answer you.

Magik

The problem, for me at least, is that it has gotten worse every iteration. CoD4, WAW, and MW2 were fine, but once BLOPS1 came out, it just kept getting worse and worse with every new game. I get that its never going to be perfect, but come on, it shouldn't be this bad.

eek5

And if you're host, you still have the best connection, no matter which Call of Duty it is.

Host on BO1 stinks because framerate goes to shit.

I am not a huge fan of host on BO2 either. I've been playing off-host for a while now and I prefer off-host 4bar to being host, mostly because it's hard to consistently stay host in this game. In the lobby the game will just suddenly decide to give host to somebody else for absolutely no reason or it'll merge lobbies and give host to someone else when the other team leaves so you have to keep adjusting to host/nonhost gameplay which plays out a lot differently IMO. In MW3 for example if I pulled host, I'd pretty much be host for the rest of the night unless I had to back out to pick people up.

I feel like I have to use really fast TTK weapons on host or I don't really have a chance at. Then again, for a while I was hosting 70-80% of my matches and putting up 2.0's consistently and now i'm hosting like 10% and putting 2.0's consistently so it's probably just me not being able to adjust on the fly.

The other night we were in a TDM lobby w/ the same guys. We beat them by 20-30 3 matches in a row then I pulled host the 4th match and it all went to shit. Suddenly this one guy with a 1.0 k/d became a godly quickscoper and would get me every single time. Makes no sense. I stayed and lost 2 more matches to just make sure it wasn't my imagination lol

The problem, for me at least, is that it has gotten worse every iteration. CoD4, WAW, and MW2 were fine, but once BLOPS1 came out, it just kept getting worse and worse with every new game. I get that its never going to be perfect, but come on, it shouldn't be this bad.

I don't know. My friend got COD4 off that XBL sale so I popped my disc back in and played it. I was getting killed after I turned corners, etc. just the same. I think people just didn't recognize/care about that kind of shit and now they do.

Host on BO1 stinks because framerate goes to shit.

I am not a huge fan of host on BO2 either. I've been playing off-host for a while now and I prefer off-host 4bar to being host, mostly because it's hard to consistently stay host in this game. In the lobby the game will just suddenly decide to give host to somebody else for absolutely no reason or it'll merge lobbies and give host to someone else when the other team leaves so you have to keep adjusting to host/nonhost gameplay which plays out a lot differently IMO. In MW3 for example if I pulled host, I'd pretty much be host for the rest of the night unless I had to back out to pick people up.

I feel like I have to use really fast TTK weapons on host or I don't really have a chance at. Then again, for a while I was hosting 70-80% of my matches and putting up 2.0's consistently and now i'm hosting like 10% and putting 2.0's consistently so it's probably just me not being able to adjust on the fly.

The other night we were in a TDM lobby w/ the same guys. We beat them by 20-30 3 matches in a row then I pulled host the 4th match and it all went to shit. Suddenly this one guy with a 1.0 k/d became a godly quickscoper and would get me every single time. Makes no sense. I stayed and lost 2 more matches to just make sure it wasn't my imagination lol

That's so strange. From MW2 thru MW3, I'd host about 85% of my matches. It'd just take a couple games for the original host to leave to give it to me. In Black Ops 2, it also takes a couple games for the original host to leave for me to receive host, but lobbies merge really often so I have to keep going thru that process. I've never lost it in the same lobby though without a merge.

And playing with host doesn't give a disadvantage. If anything, it's a little bit of the opposite. You'll notice it even more in private match, when you know who the host is. Possibly it's placebo if your case, where you realized you were host so it played with your mind?

Cause if there was some sort of experiment and you played 1 game with host and 1 with a solid 4 bar connection (not host), I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference, without being told which is which.

Host was A LOT of fun to receive back in the day (MW2). Now it's just like whatever. It's still good because nobody can end the game on you by dashboarding, or cause a host migration while your killstreaks are up, but there really isn't any connection advantage or disadvantage.

Jrmint

People not voting for Downhill is really starting to get annoying. It seems like every time it comes up people vote random. I really don't understand it, it's such a great map.

Really wish they hadn't taken away the Revolution only playlist, what harm was it doing? People paid $15 for this let us play them if we want to.

eek5

That's so strange. From MW2 thru MW3, I'd host about 85% of my matches. It'd just take a couple games for the original host to leave to give it to me. In Black Ops 2, it also takes a couple games for the original host to leave for me to receive host, but lobbies merge really often so I have to keep going thru that process. I've never lost it in the same lobby though without a merge.

And playing with host doesn't give a disadvantage. If anything, it's a little bit of the opposite. You'll notice it even more in private match, when you know who the host is. Possibly it's placebo if your case, where you realized you were host so it played with your mind?

Cause if there was some sort of experiment and you played 1 game with host and 1 with a solid 4 bar connection (not host), I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference, without being told which is which.

Host was A LOT of fun to receive back in the day (MW2). Now it's just like whatever. It's still good because nobody can end the game on you by dashboarding, or cause a host migration while your killstreaks are up, but there really isn't any connection advantage or disadvantage.
It's possible it was placebo. This guy would literally turn a corner and quickscope me immediately. I mean, it's possible that he warmed up but he was trying the same shit for 3 matches in a row where I wasn't host and it wasn't working. I got quickscoped like 8 times that match which is about as many times as I've been quickscoped total prior to that match lol.

It's possible that I've compensated my aim for off-host or something and I just can't cope with having to stay 100% on target as host. I mean, my aim isn't that great so I might just not be getting hit markers that I'm used to or something. I've found that guns like the M27 are almost unusable for me on host; I'll get 3 hit markers and die whereas same lobby w/o host I'll get the kill almost all the time.

In either case though, I've been able to have good games on all kinds of connections so you're probably right about it being placebo.

It's possible it was placebo. This guy would literally turn a corner and quickscope me immediately. I mean, it's possible that he warmed up but he was trying the same shit for 3 matches in a row where I wasn't host and it wasn't working. I got quickscoped like 8 times that match which is about as many times as I've been quickscoped total prior to that match lol.

It's possible that I've compensated my aim for off-host or something and I just can't cope with having to stay 100% on target as host. I mean, my aim isn't that great so I might just not be getting hit markers that I'm used to or something. I've found that guns like the M27 are almost unusable for me on host; I'll get 3 hit markers and die whereas same lobby w/o host I'll get the kill almost all the time.

In either case though, I've been able to have good games on all kinds of connections so you're probably right about it being placebo.

Haha the sniper thing is so annoying. I'd say I lose the majority of my firefights to quickscopers. It's even stranger that the quickscopers are most common on nuketown, and still absolutely destroy me. The most frightening thing to run into when on a high killstreak is a sniper cause their insta kill.

M27 gets me 3 hitmarkers and I die regardless of if I'm host or not. It just fires way too slow and has weak bullets. The only pro is the little to no recoil. There would be a problem if you couldn't kill people up close with a skorpion as host, but an M27 is weak regardless of connection. I can actually say the same for most ARs. I'll shoot a few bullets but lose the gunfight. That's why this is such an SMG dominant game. So I always have my akimbo Kap40s for close range cause I'll never win close range against an SMG with an M27 :p

And yeah I've had good games on all sorts of connections. If I go 40-15 on a 3 bar, I was still on a poor connection, but I still played smart. It's just that if it was a 4 bar connection, I probably wouldn't have died as much, which could've led to more killstreaks and more kills and possibly something like 50-10 instead.

I just never have connection issues when playing on a 4 bar or host now, but I always lose firefights to snipers and shotguns, but that's game mechanics and not connection. It gets really infuriating after a while too xP

And just a side note, higher RPM is always better. As long as the gun even has a halfway decent amount of range, it kills quicker, which is better. Skorpion and Vector fall into that category for primaries in this game. The only high RPM gun that has ever been truly awful is the F2000 because the recoil made it very difficult to use even at medium range. Besides that, why would you not want the quicker TTK?

eek5

And just a side note, higher RPM is always better. As long as the gun even has a halfway decent amount of range, it kills quicker, which is better. Skorpion and Vector fall into that category for primaries in this game. The only high RPM gun that has ever been truly awful is the F2000 because the recoil made it very difficult to use even at medium range. Besides that, why would you not want the quicker TTK?

Yeah, I know what you mean but using the Fal every match gets real old for me.

I have been playing with the SF vector though and that is a ton of fun. With select fire it goes up to 1200 RPM which is faster than skorpion but it has zero recoil. If you have a good trigger finger it is a better SMG/AR hybrid than the peacekeeper. I can hit people in head glitches at medium range and still drop people w/ quickness in close range.

Also, I didn't believe this and was really skeptical but I turned my vibration off at the beginning of this week. I don't know if this is another placebo thing but my accuracy and trigger finger have been really on-point lately. Really helps out with keeping the vector as close to 1200 rpm as possible in SF

Yeah, I know what you mean but using the Fal every match gets real old for me.

I have been playing with the SF vector though and that is a ton of fun. With select fire it goes up to 1200 RPM which is faster than skorpion but it has zero recoil. If you have a good trigger finger it is a better SMG/AR hybrid than the peacekeeper. I can hit people in head glitches at medium range and still drop people w/ quickness in close range.

Also, I didn't believe this and was really skeptical but I turned my vibration off at the beginning of this week. I don't know if this is another placebo thing but my accuracy and trigger finger have been really on-point lately. Really helps out with keeping the vector as close to 1200 rpm as possible in SF

The Vector is probably my favorite gun in this game. I've never bothered using select fire on it though. I may as well give it a shot the next time i play. This game got really boring really quickly though, so the only time I really play multiplayer anymore is during Nuketown weekends :D

eek5

The Vector is probably my favorite gun in this game. I've never bothered using select fire on it though. I may as well give it a shot the next time i play. This game got really boring really quickly though, so the only time I really play multiplayer anymore is during Nuketown weekends :D

Yeah I'm starting to get over it after finishing all the AR/SMG challenges. My group has just been playing different modes to get those player cards. Playing objective modes after like 3000 games of TDM is strange lol

Are servers down?

I can sign-in in PSN but can't seem to connect to BLOPS2 servers :/

scheduled psn maintenance. servers not scheduled to be back up until 7pm PST:

We wanted to take a moment to let everyone know that there is a planned maintenance for PlayStation Network scheduled for Monday, March 4th from 8AM to 7PM Pacific Time (11AM to 10PM Eastern). To clarify, this is an eleven hour maintenance.

If you’ve signed onto PSN over the past few days, you’ll still be able to play online and access apps during this period, but you may receive a maintenance notification when attempting to access the PlayStation Store, PlayStation Home, and Account Management as these services will be unavailable. Be sure to sign in now if you wish to access the Network during this maintenance window.

Thanks for your patience during this maintenance timeframe, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network-Support/MAINTENANCE-PSN-Maintenance-Scheduled-For-March-4th-2013/m-p/39681849

Yeah I'm starting to get over it after finishing all the AR/SMG challenges. My group has just been playing different modes to get those player cards. Playing objective modes after like 3000 games of TDM is strange lol

Objective modes are great, but because the way this game spawns, a lot of them are ruined. Headquarters and Kill Confirmed (if that counts as objective :p) are just awful in this game. Hardpoint can be fun, but there are some instances where if you're in the hardpoint or even near it, there is no way out to go somewhere else without dying. Domination spawns people in the middle of the map randomly, instead of at their flag (really noticeable on nuketown) and Demolition is completely fucked cause the spawn base things. CTF has some pretty awful spawns too, but is still playable for sure.

I just feel like in MW3, I liked every game mode except TDM and KC. I played alotta everything, but demo definitely had the most playtime and I was really high on that game mode leaderboard :p

This game I feel like I can pretty much only play demo and have a good time, while the rest is awful I still can't believe they kept KC and took away Team Defender, when KC is campers TDM and Team Defender is the Rushing variant of TDM.

eek5

Objective modes are great, but because the way this game spawns, a lot of them are ruined. Headquarters and Kill Confirmed (if that counts as objective :p) are just awful in this game. Hardpoint can be fun, but there are some instances where if you're in the hardpoint or even near it, there is no way out to go somewhere else without dying. Domination spawns people in the middle of the map randomly, instead of at their flag (really noticeable on nuketown) and Demolition is completely fucked cause the spawn base things. CTF has some pretty awful spawns too, but is still playable for sure.

I just feel like in MW3, I liked every game mode except TDM and KC. I played alotta everything, but demo definitely had the most playtime and I was really high on that game mode leaderboard :p

This game I feel like I can pretty much only play demo and have a good time, while the rest is awful I still can't believe they kept KC and took away Team Defender, when KC is campers TDM and Team Defender is the Rushing variant of TDM.

HQ, KC, and HP all use TDM spawns so it's actually pretty easy for us.

Hardpoint is really easy since the order of hardpoints are all static so it becomes all about spawn control. For example on hijacked the first point is at bdom so you rush mid but the second point is on pool side so you actually want to have your team push past mid and have someone anchor that spawn. In 6v6 it is really predictable but in multi-team, hardpoint is kind of a clusterfuck since you can't really anchor; everyone just rushes into the HP.

KC is also a clusterfuck because you can't half-map it like TDM. You have to rush out and grab tags so the spawns start to get a bit unpredictable.

HQ is a lot like hardpoint except the HQ are completely random and the way you cap/destroy makes it so that sometimes a team will gain a shitload of momentum by capping a point, then getting the spawn on the other side of the map where the HQ is. A lot of teams are bad though so you can use the offline time to push past the HQ and flip the spawn.

The thing that ruins HP/HQ for me is the use of tac insertions though but we managed to beat a couple teams that were all tac inserting on HQ the other day just because we could control the spawn better. Most of the HQ aren't far enough back on maps to flip spawns on their own so if you're anchoring it then tac inserters will just be free kills non stop.

zeelman

Yeah, I had to deal with that last night. I hate how the netcode loves to give quickscopers the advantage. Its a shame Treyarch chickened out from what they did with snipers in BLOPS 1. They were very well balanced in that game.

Top Bottom