• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Probably too soon to ask but any hints etc about the next DLC(and if it has another gun)?
A friend in my clan just bought me the season pass, now im back into the game again.

I had a bug today where my entire HUD dropped out in a domination match. This happened twice....I couldn't see my progress as I capped a point-I couldn't even see the "A", "B" or "C" markers. Weird.

Is this common? 360.

HQ, KC, and HP all use TDM spawns so it's actually pretty easy for us.

Hardpoint is really easy since the order of hardpoints are all static so it becomes all about spawn control. For example on hijacked the first point is at bdom so you rush mid but the second point is on pool side so you actually want to have your team push past mid and have someone anchor that spawn. In 6v6 it is really predictable but in multi-team, hardpoint is kind of a clusterfuck since you can't really anchor; everyone just rushes into the HP.

KC is also a clusterfuck because you can't half-map it like TDM. You have to rush out and grab tags so the spawns start to get a bit unpredictable.

HQ is a lot like hardpoint except the HQ are completely random and the way you cap/destroy makes it so that sometimes a team will gain a shitload of momentum by capping a point, then getting the spawn on the other side of the map where the HQ is. A lot of teams are bad though so you can use the offline time to push past the HQ and flip the spawn.

The thing that ruins HP/HQ for me is the use of tac insertions though but we managed to beat a couple teams that were all tac inserting on HQ the other day just because we could control the spawn better. Most of the HQ aren't far enough back on maps to flip spawns on their own so if you're anchoring it then tac inserters will just be free kills non stop.

Tac inserts are way too powerful in any objective mode. Especially in demolition too because that is the game mode that depends the most on map control and having somebody spawn on top of a bomb and not in their base makes it pretty much impossible to win or even do well with slaying, cause you have to wipe out 12 people really quickly to even have a shot at planting.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Almost got my dragonfire emblem.

The best thing happened. I join a TDM lobby. I always play solo so the first thing I look out for is clans or a big party. I see that there are four guys in a party but before the game starts they're put on opposite teams, so no big deal. Also I notice via their lobby leaderboard stats that they really suck.

We're playing on Meltdown (which I feel is an underrated map). The two guys in the party on my team immediately head left. I thought, OK, they're going to flank up the leftside and try to hit the sniper building/spawn. But they just stay there. Both of them drop Tac Inserts. I thought it was peculiar because it's more or less right beside the spawn. I go my own way and play normal.

I die and respawn again at the same spawn point. Since I'm running engineer, I see two enemy Tac Inserts lit up to the left of our spawn - right beside where my teammates put theirs! My teammates are still standing there. The enemies spawn at their Tac Inserts and are immediately killed by my teammates. Yup - they're boosting.

So I go on to get a dragronfire right after this. I fly as fast as I can over the tac inserts and I wait for them to respawn. I kill them at least 6 times then go on to kill a few more people. Glorious! They must have been fuming!

Ryck

Tac inserts are way too powerful in any objective mode. Especially in demolition too because that is the game mode that depends the most on map control and having somebody spawn on top of a bomb and not in their base makes it pretty much impossible to win or even do well with slaying, cause you have to wipe out 12 people really quickly to even have a shot at planting.
If you are playing Demo and you don't have an EMP grenade equipped you are pretty much doing it wrong.

I always have a tac insert and EMP grenade equipped. ( thanks to Tactician).

xJavonta

Banned
So whenever I select the peacekeeper, I just get a knife instead. WTF is this glitch...

....:/

That still hasn't been patched? I haven't played in about 2 weeks on 360, but in round-based gametypes whenever a round was over, my PK would be a knife and I'd have to play a different class for the rest of the game. What the fuck Treyarch

Rate the maps from your favorite to your least favorite. I'll go first!

Tier One- Good Maps

1. Standoff- Looks great, is playable with any gun. Surprisingly less camping than you would think given the number of buildings.

2. Turbine- I love environmental maps. True there may be too much sniping, but this is the biggest map, and therefore one of my favorites.

Tier Two- Decent Maps

3. Slums- This is where there's a huge drop-off. I only think there are two good maps in this entire game. Slums at least is hectic without being too small.

4. Carrier- Another map where any gun is playable. Totally meh from an aesthetic point of view.

5. Overflow- I feel like this is one of the most tactical maps. Very boring setting, and a few too many tight spaces.

6. Raid- I wish it had been more open and less of a choke point map. Way too many choke point maps in this game.

7. Meltdown- I don't like the camping in the rooms, but other than that, this map is okay.

8. Yemen- Another tactical map. But it feels like the majority of the action ends up in one area.

Tier 3- Bad Maps

9. Express- At this point, the maps are just shitty. I feel like this map encourages the Remington too much.

10. Drone- Horribly boring map. The sliding doors make for really stupid choke points.

11. Cargo- I used to like this map. But now it just feels cluttered to me.

Tier 4- Shamefully Designed Maps

12. Aftermath- I don't get this map. I just don't understand it. It's not a huge map, yet sometimes it takes forever to find anyone. I can't imagine anyone liking this map.

13. Hijacked- Too small for a game with a terrible spawn system. Also, I find the Remington is overpowered on this map. I do well on this map, but I never feel good about it.

14. Plaza- Campers paradise with the roofs only accessible by ladder. I just leave the lobby when this map comes up. It's especially terrible for One in the Camber.

eek5

TDM mostly.

Good Maps:
Express
Standoff
Grind
Raid

OK maps:
Hydro
Downhill
Meltdown
Overflow
Slums
Yemen
Hijacked
Cargo

OK map depending on starting spawn:
Carrier

OK map if they removed ladders on GELE/Dales:
Plaza

Bad Maps:
Drone
Aftermath

For Me the only thing that matters is avoiding the following maps:
- Carrier
- Aftermath
- Hijacked
- Nuketown

I prefer maps where my LSAT and can shoot through people's headglitch spots.

That still hasn't been patched? I haven't played in about 2 weeks on 360, but in round-based gametypes whenever a round was over, my PK would be a knife and I'd have to play a different class for the rest of the game. What the fuck Treyarch

By the way I added you to the clan a long while ago and forgot to tell you. :lol

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I am so bloody tired of being made host, over and over again, I have had to leave the last 5 matches because I always end up as it, my general match performance just jumps out a window every time.

I play mostly kill confirmed, sometimes domination.

Favorites (in no particular order):
raid
standoff
slums
plaza

Don't mind playing:
meltdown
cargo
express
hijacked
overflow
carrier
drone

Least Favorite:
aftermath
turbine
yemen
nuketown

eek5

I am so bloody tired of being made host, over and over again, I have had to leave the last 5 matches because I always end up as it, my general match performance just jumps out a window every time.

If you play in a party, give party leader to someone else. That's the easiest way to pull host (being party leader of a large party)

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure he purposely plays poorly so he can fake rage and rake in those youtubes dollars

Yeah I've seen a few of his videos, and there's only one reason he has an audience. Must be frustrating for all the better players out there trying to become a hit on YouTube.

It really bugs me when he doesn't reload though, I reload even if I've just shot 3 bullets.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Seeing as others are doing it, in alphabetical order.

Good maps, those that I generally enjoy playing regardless of mood or what I might be trying to achieve:
Downhill
Grind
Standoff
Turbine

Mediocre maps, ones that can be good fun and sometimes a pain in the ass when your team is shit, not the worst designed maps in the world:
Aftermath
Cargo
Carrier
Drone
Express
Meltdown
Overflow
Plaza
Slums
Yemen

Bad maps, generally don't have a good time on them or consider them badly designed:
Hijacked
Nuketown
Raid

Shitty maps, maps that I just don't get along with for some reason:
Hydro
Mirage

I don't really consider any to be outstanding or that I really love to play each match.

I can't believe they topped Nuketown. Hijack is perfection.

I don't think anything will ever beat Nuketown in perfection.

Hijacked is pretty much the same, but it's more linear and the middle is more of a baby buffalo land now. Nuketown has perfect lines of sight. The garage on the yellow house all the way to the backyard of the other house. The doorway of the other house can look all the way to the shed side of the yellow house. Peeking out of the bus gets you a good line of sight of the other side of the yellow house and the list can go on forever. Using the trailer for cover gets you good lines of sight for both houses. The upstairs also are better in Nuketown. And the middle section has cover with the truck and bus, which makes running around more of a viable option. Spawn locations and the spawn system is better on Nuketown as well (for demolition). And lastly killstreaks are significantly more awesome on Nuketown than Hijacked.

Hijacked is a lot harder to be mobile on. Similar to most Blops 2 maps, there are 3 ways to get to the other side of the map with long deadly lines of sight. The outside part of the ship is deadly, so is the middle, so is underground, and all the right in the room with the couch. Also it's bigger, so whenever you finally get to the other side, you can easily get overwhelmed by people respawning over and over again coming back for you, with no help from your team.

Regardless though, they're both amazing maps. Nuketown just plays a lot faster and the faster the map/game mode plays, the better for me. Demo on Nuketown is about as fast as it can get. SPM is incredibly high in that.

eek5

I'm not the biggest fan of how easily the spawns flip in TDM on hijacked. You'll literally spawn in at the beginning of the game, walk to the first set of posts outside of bdom and get shot from behind. It's a bit silly and overly touchy. The additional spawns they added all the way back in pool, on side-path, in both top-decks, and bottom deck haven't really helped at all. The map should play fast as hell on TDM but it's pretty much become a game of how fast I can set up a spawn trap. Feels like I'm playing demo or something just head glitching one of the pillars and picking people off as they sprint out of their spawn.

Yeah, I could push up from that position but enemies would spawn behind my team and I'd have to sprint back to the other side of the boat and setup the trap again otherwise it's 1-3 kills, run to the other side, 1-3 kills, run to the other side over and over. It just feels a bit touchy compared to maps like hydro or downhill where spawns won't really flip until you get 3-4 people well past mid and you've killed most of the enemy team.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
If you play in a party, give party leader to someone else. That's the easiest way to pull host (being party leader of a large party)

Yea it isn't so bad in a party with friends, but every time I jump on by myself I usually always end up as host, if not in the first game then usually the second or when the previous host leaves; it wouldn't be so bad but I can feel when I am host, usually end up getting killed by stupid shit like a guy turning around after two blasts to the head to get killed.

Heh, I probably sound like this when playing with friends sometimes, CoD can be so on and off that when it is an off day it can enrage me like no other game, I usually just turn off the 360 and walk away though.

I wouldn't say he is wrong about people running around with just a knife though, it's pretty ridiculous how shitty the hit boxes are when trying to hit them, if the game can't keep up with them then they shouldn't be allowed to move that fast in the first place.

I'm not the biggest fan of how easily the spawns flip in TDM on hijacked. You'll literally spawn in at the beginning of the game, walk to the first set of posts outside of bdom and get shot from behind. It's a bit silly and overly touchy. The additional spawns they added all the way back in pool, on side-path, in both top-decks, and bottom deck haven't really helped at all. The map should play fast as hell on TDM but it's pretty much become a game of how fast I can set up a spawn trap. Feels like I'm playing demo or something just head glitching one of the pillars and picking people off as they sprint out of their spawn.

Yeah, I could push up from that position but enemies would spawn behind my team and I'd have to sprint back to the other side of the boat and setup the trap again otherwise it's 1-3 kills, run to the other side, 1-3 kills, run to the other side over and over. It just feels a bit touchy compared to maps like hydro or downhill where spawns won't really flip until you get 3-4 people well past mid and you've killed most of the enemy team.

Pretty much my biggest issue with Hijacked is how quickly the spawns flip flop back and forth, I got stuck playing the level just now and in the space of 5 seconds it flipped spawns from either end of the boat, meaning I got shot from behind by someone spawning twice in a row. That and the fact that Hijacked is just Nuketown with an extra under the boat route, and so they could try and sell us Nuketown again at a later date.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TDM impressions of new maps on PC:

-Hydro - fucking great
-Grind - fucking great
-Downhill - super solid
-Mirage - solid/mixed

Overall, a pretty great show. Hydro and Grind are easily up their with my favorites from the main game and probably my favorites from other DLCs from the previous games too.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
TDM impressions of new maps on PC:

-Hydro - fucking great
-Grind - fucking great
-Downhill - super solid
-Mirage - solid/mixed

Overall, a pretty great show. Hydro and Grind are easily up their with my favorites from the main game and probably my favorites from other DLCs from the previous games too.

I really like Grind and Downhill, but for some reason I can't get to grips with Hydro and Mirage, like at all, and usually kiss what K:D ratio I have going on goodbye for the match, lol.

HiiiLife

I haven't played this in the longest. I'm going to be playing some TDM/KC tonight on the 360. If anybody wants to party up then DM me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I really like Grind and Downhill, but for some reason I can't get to grips with Hydro and Mirage, like at all, and usually kiss what K:D ratio I have going on goodbye for the match, lol.

Once you find a good loop to run on Hydro and the areas that people tend to gravitate towards, it can be pretty easy to rack up the kills.

I still haven't figured out Mirage yet.

eek5

Once you find a good loop to run on Hydro and the areas that people tend to gravitate towards, it can be pretty easy to rack up the kills.

I still haven't figured out Mirage yet.

The bus side is pretty action packed in TDM. I don't like the middle unless you get in early and have mid map control, otherwise you run in and you can get shot from too many directions.

Poolside is OK but there are a lot of head glitches on both sides. It's good if you have a sniper or long range AR like Fal or something but I generally avoid that side entirely.

Ensoul

I have been playing horribly the past few days. Finally last night I said screw it. I am not running around like crazy anymore. I did not camp, but I picked my spots and moved slowly from spot to spot being careful and it has helped. I had 5 decent/great matches. Probably helps I switched to TDM as well. I swear whenever I play kill confirmed I simply cannot get the tags because whenever I kill someone there is always a teammates behind him who kills me within 5 seconds.

Not the most exciting way to play but it beats finishing 8-24.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm quite fond of the FAL, some people like to put select fire on and turn it into an automatic, but I prefer its pressing it and having that control on how fast I want it to shoot, such a nice gun.

I did find it weird you can use the Knife as a secondary.

Some people remove all the weapons and just run around all crazy with the knife, you will learn to dislike them, lol.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
As of right now I've been using the SWAT. Just unlocked the FAL. Is it semi auto like previous titles?

Yeah FAL is semi-auto, but all burst/semi guns can be turned full auto with an attachment (select fire). I ended up feeling quite good about the SWAT with select fire + laser sight and using it mostly from the hip.

Top Bottom