• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

eek5

Any good configurations for the SCAR? I cannot use it but I need 7 more killstreaks (bloodthirsty) for gold camo. It is painstaking (like every other game I am getting a killstreak).

Any and all advice would help.

Currently using:

Scar - Suppressor, FMJ, Laser Sight
Ghost, Blind
Toughness
Dexterity

Quickdraw for sure.

If you're having problems burst firing try SF. You should be able to 2-burst at almost all ranges but you can really get the same effect 3 bursting yourself.

Suppressor is good since Scar is pretty much infinite 3hk (2hk w/ headshot) so there is really no silencer penalty other than 1% decrease in recenter speed.

I wouldn't use laser. The Scar ROF is too slow to be that competitive CQB unless you get headshot anyway so extra hip fire accuracy won't help much. Better off saving 2 points and using a Kap-40 secondary.

FMJ is unnecessary as well. Scar has LMG penetration already and its high damage should 3hk through most thin materials anyway. You'll have problems strafing in and out of cover to maximize FMJ without stock as well.

Fast mags is unnecessary because scar has a rediculously fast reload cancel time. (1.25s which is fastest w/o fastmags of any AR/SMG)

MMS is ok but I think Scar's irons are good. The main advantage of MMS is being able to spot campers through cover and picking them off with high penetration. This doesn't happen nearly enough to use as a main attachment though. I usually have a SCAR/SMR/SWAT w/ MMS for an anti-camp class.

Other sights: No need IMO since Scar's irons are really good.

I like grenade launcher since random recoil sometimes screws you over. You should be able to kill someone that you 1-2hit with the outside radius of the noob tube so it's great for engagements where you hurt someone and they duck into cover. I am not sure if these count for bloodthirsty or if they even count on your total gun killsl for Scar though.

Here is my loadout:
SCAR + grenade launcher, quickdraw
Kap-40 (no attachments)
flak jacket
scav + toughness
dexterity
c4

edit: I don't know about bloodthirsties but I just checked and grenade launcher kills do not count toward total gun kills. That explains my lower k/d on SCAR and AN

i still don't really "get" how to play hardpoint and demolition. i usually play KC or TDM and when i play any other modes besides domination i end up playing significantly worse.

Quickdraw for sure.

If you're having problems burst firing try SF. You should be able to 2-burst at almost all ranges but you can really get the same effect 3 bursting yourself.

Suppressor is good since Scar is pretty much infinite 3hk (2hk w/ headshot) so there is really no silencer penalty other than 1% decrease in recenter speed.

I wouldn't use laser. The Scar ROF is too slow to be that competitive CQB unless you get headshot anyway so extra hip fire accuracy won't help much. Better off saving 2 points and using a Kap-40 secondary.

FMJ is unnecessary as well. Scar has LMG penetration already and its high damage should 3hk through most thin materials anyway. You'll have problems strafing in and out of cover to maximize FMJ without stock as well.

Fast mags is unnecessary because scar has a rediculously fast reload cancel time. (1.25s which is fastest w/o fastmags of any AR/SMG)

MMS is ok but I think Scar's irons are good. The main advantage of MMS is being able to spot campers through cover and picking them off with high penetration. This doesn't happen nearly enough to use as a main attachment though. I usually have a SCAR/SMR/SWAT w/ MMS for an anti-camp class.

I like grenade launcher since random recoil sometimes screws you over. You should be able to kill someone that you 1-2hit with the outside radius of the noob tube so it's great for engagements where you hurt someone and they duck into cover. I am not sure if these count for bloodthirsty or if they even count on your total gun killsl for Scar though.

Here is my loadout:
Kap-40 (no attachments)
flak jacket
scav + toughness
dexterity
c4

edit: I don't know about bloodthirsties but I just checked and grenade launcher kills do not count toward total gun kills. That explains my lower k/d on SCAR and AN

This reply is awesome. Thanks for the insight, I took it to heart! SCAR challenge complete! (I didn't try the grenade launcher though, I stay away from that on principle haha)

Edit: Where can I find my weapon statistics? I haven't gone into too much detail on this COD yet.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
After close to 12,000 SCAR kills I decided to start playing with the sniper rifles last night. Every map seemed new and fresh.

What's regarded as the best sniper rifle?

i still don't really "get" how to play hardpoint and demolition. i usually play KC or TDM and when i play any other modes besides domination i end up playing significantly worse.

I mainly play domination, demolition, hard point, ground war and search and destroy.

Domination is pretty simple. just capture the flags, the more flags your team has captured the faster your teams points increase. hard point is basically the same except the "flag" moves.

I mainly play domination, demolition, hard point, ground war and search and destroy.

Domination is pretty simple. just capture the flags, the more flags your team has captured the faster your teams points increase. hard point is basically the same except the "flag" moves.

yeah i mean i exclusively played domination in MW2, but i never really tried other modes. i keep seeing posts about how people get huge scorestreaks in these other modes, but i'm only able to get long streaks going in kill confirmed. it's like i'm not playing the game right.

eek5

I actually think XPR w/ ACOG is the best sniper rifle. It has the same ADS time as DSR but it's semi-auto and it has the same bonus multipliers as the Ballista does. When you're using ACOG the center speed decreases but for some reason just being able to fully see how much the recoil is allows you to aim while it recenters making it the best sniper for follow up shots.

If you're not down with semi-auto, I think Ballista is better for aggressive play because of the extra 0.05s. I know it doesn't sound like a lot but it makes a difference. The magazine size is also larger so in "oh-shit" situations you have a little more room to miss.

DSR is a great defensive sniper though. If you're just locking down a long line of sight it is probably the best option. Being able to OHK people through cover even as low as the chest is great and you can get OHK's off people's hands which isn't possible w/ the other sniper rifles.

SVU plays more like an assault rifle with shitty ADS time.

This reply is awesome. Thanks for the insight, I took it to heart! SCAR challenge complete! (I didn't try the grenade launcher though, I stay away from that on principle haha)

Edit: Where can I find my weapon statistics? I haven't gone into too much detail on this COD yet.

You can either check with barracks in game or go to http://elite.callofduty.com and sign up there to see your stats online.

Hardpoint is really a team game. On the surface it looks like a headquarters-lite but the fact that the HP cycle is the same every map makes the emphasis on rotating positions in the game much more important. For example on Raid the first hardpoint is in the death ring. If you spawn garage you want to control the ring but you also want to rotate all 6 of your players past the ring so you can secure the spawn behind the kitchen before the hardpoint switches. If you're in kitchen spawn you want to take ring but also half-map so you won't allow a spawn rotation/flip.

Demolition is kind of the opposite. Everything is half mapped because spawns are constant. You basically want to spawn trap on defense and also kind of spawn trap on offense lol

yeah i mean i exclusively played domination in MW2, but i never really tried other modes. i keep seeing posts about how people get huge scorestreaks in these other modes, but i'm only able to get long streaks going in kill confirmed. it's like i'm not playing the game right.

Oh ok, got ya. I find I get better score streaks in domination because people are more focused on the objective and not me.

I just had the worst match ever. The entire enemy team was hiding in the same room on Yemen with riot shields blocking the doors, trophy systems, bouncing betties, and claymores everywhere. They also had scavenger so it was pointless to keep hacking the trophy systems and use explosives against them. No one on my team got more than 11 kills and that was me. I left the lobby but I'm taking a break from this game. People like that ruin this game for me.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So my friend is a little obsessed with league play now, I've played a few with him but my god do some of these people know how to play, I would question if some of them are using one I those mouse/keyboard accessories by the way they move around and aim so finely; but some of these guys know exactly what to do in every situation, just get my arse totally kicked sometimes.

I had my whole team leave at one point, I just ended up playing a long game of hide and seek with the enemy team.

I just had the worst match ever. The entire enemy team was hiding in the same room on Yemen with riot shields blocking the doors, trophy systems, bouncing betties, and claymores everywhere. They also had scavenger so it was pointless to keep hacking the trophy systems and use explosives against them. No one on my team got more than 11 kills and that was me. I left the lobby but I'm taking a break from this game. People like that ruin this game for me.

I've ran into the same thing a few times and it can be especially problematic when its a whole team, it totally ruins the game when it happens as there really is nothing you can do unless your properly equipped for it and can communicate with your team; we got lucky at one point and took a few out but then respawning across the map while the rest of their team piles back in from around the corner really just puts you back in the same position, it's just a circle of not really getting anywhere.

Which room was it for you, the one over the tunnel that has only one entrance?

The best way we had to handle it was EMP grenades trown outside around the room so they can't be taken out, the hope is they knock out everything followed by chucking every grenade you have into there then running in guns blazing; but as I said, if the spawns are against you they just go back in.

MechDX

I would bust out my LSAT wall banging class and go to town on them.

CaptainAmerica.gif

Next map pack is called "Uprising"

So now the map packs spell FEAR RU and possibly the last two map packs could be "S," which would spell FEAR RUSS, which makes the zombies story somewhat interesting.

The rumors are only listing 2 maps and a zombies one. If that's the case and it's still 15 I'm going to be very disappointed.

I'm pretty sure it'll be more than that. That was just all that was found in the code of the website.

There's definitely more zombie game modes to be released based off what was found on the game back during the summer. I'm sure if you look hard enough, you can find a full multiplayer map list for all maps (including DLC) like MW3 had available a few months before the game as well.

It would also make sense if they had more gun DLC.

Anyways, I'd still purchase it cause I only get the DLC for the zombie maps and they're completely worth it for $15

MrDaravon

Quickdraw for sure.

Here is my loadout:
Kap-40 (no attachments)
flak jacket
scav + toughness
dexterity
c4

I just re-picked the game up after not playing since November or December. In CoD games I usually go either full auto AR (I don't like single or burst fire AR's) or SMG. I think I was running a SCAR setup with Quick Draw and the Stock (or whatever it's called, the one that lets you aim faster when ADS). Is the SCAR still considered the best AR? I left early enough where I think there was still some debate about that, and I know there have been balance patches and whatnot. I'm also going to try swapping out my launcher for the KAP-40 you list above; I've always played these games "defensively" by always having a launcher to shoot down shit and running ghost/etc at all times, but I'm going to try mixing it up a bit and see how that goes.

Aside from that though, what's the go-to SMG now? No clue. Also, what's a good low-level Scorestreak setup? I just played my first few games back and I'm pretty terrible, I was running UAV/Hunter Killer/Care Package. I just swapped out Care Package for Lightning Strike, but I just never clicked with this game when I was playing it like previous games; I could get nukes and shit in MW2 and MW3 (gun kills, not streak kills) but BO2 just never really clicked with me in the same way for some reason. I'm hoping that taking a break from it for a few months completely (I've never been away from a CoD for more than a week or two in several years) will give me a fresh look on things.

So my friend is a little obsessed with league play now, I've played a few with him but my god do some of these people know how to play, I would question if some of them are using one I those mouse/keyboard accessories by the way they move around and aim so finely; but some of these guys know exactly what to do in every situation, just get my arse totally kicked sometimes.

I had my whole team leave at one point, I just ended up playing a long game of hide and seek with the enemy team.

I've ran into the same thing a few times and it can be especially problematic when its a whole team, it totally ruins the game when it happens as there really is nothing you can do unless your properly equipped for it and can communicate with your team; we got lucky at one point and took a few out but then respawning across the map while the rest of their team piles back in from around the corner really just puts you back in the same position, it's just a circle of not really getting anywhere.

Which room was it for you, the one over the tunnel that has only one entrance?

The best way we had to handle it was EMP grenades trown outside around the room so they can't be taken out, the hope is they knock out everything followed by chucking every grenade you have into there then running in guns blazing; but as I said, if the spawns are against you they just go back in.
I'll try to explain what room it was. It's the room that has one door and a window you can't crawl in from the outside. The door leads to another room that has two doors (that's where all the explosives were.) one door leads to stairs that go down and the other leads outside with fruit stands. I think its one of the first spawn points at the beginning of the match if I remember correctly.

eek5

I just re-picked the game up after not playing since November or December. In CoD games I usually go either full auto AR (I don't like single or burst fire AR's) or SMG. I think I was running a SCAR setup with Quick Draw and the Stock (or whatever it's called, the one that lets you aim faster when ADS). Is the SCAR still considered the best AR? I left early enough where I think there was still some debate about that, and I know there have been balance patches and whatnot. I'm also going to try swapping out my launcher for the KAP-40 you list above; I've always played these games "defensively" by always having a launcher to shoot down shit and running ghost/etc at all times, but I'm going to try mixing it up a bit and see how that goes.

Aside from that though, what's the go-to SMG now? No clue. Also, what's a good low-level Scorestreak setup? I just played my first few games back and I'm pretty terrible, I was running UAV/Hunter Killer/Care Package. I just swapped out Care Package for Lightning Strike, but I just never clicked with this game when I was playing it like previous games; I could get nukes and shit in MW2 and MW3 (gun kills, not streak kills) but BO2 just never really clicked with me in the same way for some reason. I'm hoping that taking a break from it for a few months completely (I've never been away from a CoD for more than a week or two in several years) will give me a fresh look on things.

Keep in mind that I only play TDM for the most part.

I think M8/SMR/Fal are all good but they're all burst weapons which you don't like. SCAR is probably my most used automatic rifle but it probably isn't very consistent. Sometimes it will kick very randomly and leave you screwed. When you get random recoil on the AN-94 it cancels itself out and can often center you horizontally which is really nice.

The AN-94 also is really accurate on its first two bullets too so you should get your reticle on top of a person before firing. In CQB you can burst fire to increase RoF to around 700-720 rpm which should put you a bit better off than the SCAR.

If you like playing more aggressive the T25 is pretty good. It is shit in long range for the most part if you're playing against competent AR players but in close-mid range it is pretty decent. It has better hip fire than any of the other ARs and a sliiightly faster move speed. The downside is that you run out of ammo fast because of its fast rate of fire. I also carry a kap secondary on this class but mainly so I can switch instead of reloading when I'm caught in between multiple people.

For SMGs I like the Skorpion EVO if you have good aim. It's similar to AN-94 in that you should wait until your target is on the crosshair before or else you'll burn through your ammo hitting nothing. If you don't like that kind of SMG the MSMC is still really good as is the PDW although I don't like the PDW as much as I used to anymore. I don't play SMGs that often but the vector w/ SF is a lot of fun if you ever warm up to burst firing. It can fire at almost 1200rpm and has very little recoil in SF making it able to engage up to mid range fairly well.

For TDM I usually run UAV/HS/LS. I used to mainly run UAV/CUAV/VSAT but I've found that any time I would reach vsat we'd be winning by so much anyway that we'd be better off w/ me rolling over LS twice. Sometimes I take HS out because I'm not a huge fan of player controlled scorestreaks that leave you vulnerable for a long time.

I would bust out my LSAT wall banging class and go to town on them.

SWAT/MMS and headshotting would work well too. I always do this to people trying to worm in hijacked office.

MrDaravon

With the people I roll with we usually either do Ground War (which I prefer because I like a ton of people and/or crazy shit going on) or Hardcore TDM/KC.

I'll check out the AN94 and the T25. I didn't play a ton of the game before I dropped it and up until that point I think I had only really used the SCAR, the SWAT, and maybe whatever the starting one was (?) but found the SCAR to be the best out of those three. Also I'm biased since I loved the SCAR in previous games it was in.

When I was playing I was torn between the Vector and the Skorpion but was using the Skorpion more, I just wasn't sure if anything had changed with that or not. The games I played today I was just re-adjusting so I stuck with the SCAR, I'll have to go back to these two and take a look.

I did change my playstyle intentionally today though, and dropped the launcher I've always had on every class (I'm the guy who is always shooting stuff down) for the KAP, and it actually worked out much better. I always flipflop between an AR class and a SMG class depending on my mood and the map, but running the SCAR + KAP was giving me more or less the best of both worlds since going around corners and/or into enclosed areas I could just switch to the KAP for the speed and close-range damage boost and it was working out really well for me. I did try the C4, and I'll stick with that a bit more but I'm not sure if that's for me or not. I think my setup was something like:

-SCAR w/Fore Grip and Quickdraw
-KAP (no attachments)
-Hardline, Toughness, Scavenger, Dexterity
-C4

I just presitged the SCAR so I don't have it re-unlocked yet, but I'm a huge fan of the stock since I like being able to aim quickly in ADS, so once I re-unlock that I might either drop Fore Grip for it, or drop Toughness/additional Perk 2 to add a third attachment to the SCAR. I should hopefully be able to play some more this weekend to see if I can re-acclimate.

eek5

Why does the disc still spin when when the game is installed into the hdd?

It will spin when you first start up the game and if you switch between SP/MP/Zombies it'll spin again.

With the people I roll with we usually either do Ground War (which I prefer because I like a ton of people and/or crazy shit going on) or Hardcore TDM/KC.

I'll check out the AN94 and the T25. I didn't play a ton of the game before I dropped it and up until that point I think I had only really used the SCAR, the SWAT, and maybe whatever the starting one was (?) but found the SCAR to be the best out of those three. Also I'm biased since I loved the SCAR in previous games it was in.

When I was playing I was torn between the Vector and the Skorpion but was using the Skorpion more, I just wasn't sure if anything had changed with that or not. The games I played today I was just re-adjusting so I stuck with the SCAR, I'll have to go back to these two and take a look.

I did change my playstyle intentionally today though, and dropped the launcher I've always had on every class (I'm the guy who is always shooting stuff down) for the KAP, and it actually worked out much better. I always flipflop between an AR class and a SMG class depending on my mood and the map, but running the SCAR + KAP was giving me more or less the best of both worlds since going around corners and/or into enclosed areas I could just switch to the KAP for the speed and close-range damage boost and it was working out really well for me. I did try the C4, and I'll stick with that a bit more but I'm not sure if that's for me or not. I think my setup was something like:

-SCAR w/Fore Grip and Quickdraw
-KAP (no attachments)
-Hardline, Toughness, Scavenger, Dexterity
-C4

I just presitged the SCAR so I don't have it re-unlocked yet, but I'm a huge fan of the stock since I like being able to aim quickly in ADS, so once I re-unlock that I might either drop Fore Grip for it, or drop Toughness/additional Perk 2 to add a third attachment to the SCAR. I should hopefully be able to play some more this weekend to see if I can re-acclimate.

Yeah the KAP is really good. I love it for situations where you need to turn tight corners since it is very competitive with most CQB weapons in the game. I think once you get used to the trajectory that C4 flies at you will like it a lot more. You can double tap reload (x on xbox) to detonate the C4 as well. I think it detonates faster doing that than using RB twice but I'm not 100% sure. It should be really good in ground war; I've seen some people who only play ground war have like 50%+ kill rate with C4 which is rediculous. They just grab a scav and toss it over walls for kills lol

Been playing some Sticks and Stones to level up the Ballistic Knife, it's insanely fun.

I get a crap load of kills but i ALWAYS get humiliated at least twice in a game.

One of the worst maps I've had the displeasure of playing in. This game is nothing but pray and spray. The spawns are just atrocious. I don't know why people keep giving their money to Treyarch.

One of the worst maps I've had the displeasure of playing in. This game is nothing but pray and spray. The spawns are just atrocious. I don't know why people keep giving their money to Treyarch.

VSAT's ruin this game.

you couldn't say the SR-71 Blackbird ruined BO1, though.

EDIT:
Is the SCAR still considered the best AR?

Aside from that though, what's the go-to SMG now?

The AN-94 and the M8A1 are considered the best AR's

I personally think the PDW is the greatest SMG, because it's magazine trumps the MSMC.

eek5

VSAT's ruin this game.

you couldn't say the SR-71 Blackbird ruined BO1, though.

It's pretty funny seeing how terrible spawns are w/ VSAT. In FFA especially. People will literally spawn in knifing range of you sometimes.

You can also push up pretty far into enemy territory in modes like TDM without flipping spawn as long as your team is rotated far back enough.

zeelman

I personally think the PDW is the greatest SMG, because it's magazine trumps the MSMC.

The PDW also has a way better recoil pattern. I finally golded the MSMC earlier this week and I'm glad to be done with it. I don't understand the appeal of that gun. The recoil pattern is terrible, the fire rate is kinda slow, and the reload takes forever.

The PDW also has a way better recoil pattern.
The MSMC recoil pattern is terrible.

There are no recoil patterns in Call of Duty.
All guns fire into a cone-shaped area, and all sprays are random, not patterned.
There is also little-to-no gun barrel raise either.

I think you are confusing CoD with CounterStrike, which is also confusing.

eek5

The PDW kicks up and to the right like the SCAR. The MSMC has recoil more similar to the AN-94 so the horizontal recoil can sometimes cancel itself out. I find the MSMC to be superior of the two in 1v1 situations, especially after the last patch that has rendered the PDW more difficult to use in mid-range.

The PDW is still great in objective game modes especially if you keep yourself in close range but I prefer the MSMC by far.

The last couple of days i've been trying to complete the challenges for the Special weapons. All i can say is that Sticks And Stones is an absolute blessing for this.

Ballistic Knife is by far the easier to do, doing the retrieved blades challenge was easier than i thought too, i literally just shot out the blades i had and retrieved them and went huntin'.

The Crossbow on the other hand is a bit tougher, just getting the 300 kills will take you a while but again, it's easier to do it on Sticks And Stones because everyone else is using the same weapons as you. The hard part though is getting a Bloodthirsty. It took me about 3-4 hours to do it and i was pulling my hair out by the end, and i'm not ashamed to admit that i yelped with joy when i finally done it. Again, Sticks And Stones is the best place to do it, and you have to get lucky with regards to a lobby, and also..........STRAFE LIKE HELL.

The "get a kill with each bolt in a clip" challenge is actually the easier of the Crossbow challenges, it comes naturally i find, if you've gotten the 300 kills you should have a better understanding of the weapon and how to use it effectively. Also the Car Kill one appears to be very, VERY specific. I thought i completed this challenge 3 times before i completed it because i blew up the vans on Standoff, but i ended up getting it by blowing up one of the Humvees on Slums instead.

Lastly, the Assault Shield. You have to be really patient with this, and you HAVE to play it on Hardcore. If you do this playing the Core modes, you're a braver soul than i. Don't sprint when you lock on to someone who is shooting at you, you will give them a free kill, instead crouch and walk over to them slowly, and as soon as they begin to reload go in for the kill. Use Concussion Grenades and the Lightweight and Extreme Conditioning perks. Also expect to take a beating but don't let it deter you, if you're getting 6+ kills a game with it, you're doing something right. Also, the "no weapons" challenge is very specific too, not only no gun (using Overkill) or any secondary but also no grenades, either lethal or tactical.

Also expect lots of hate messages for using the Shield, in my case, messages from Portuguese and French folk possibly talking about my mother.

Watched some MLG games from that Dallas grand finals and wow, these guys are pretty good. Aiming are top notch that's a given, but the positioning on the maps with different modes are ridiculously good.

They all practice meticulously, i've been watching the OpTic team train on Twitch and it's really interesting how they do it. They have to learn not only how the spawns work for each game mode but also for each map, and they have to memorise call outs for each too.

I've never really cared about esports before but Black Ops 2 has really put it at the front of my mind.

Haven't touched this since December due to the spawn and lag comp issues. Checked the patch notes briefly and still saw not a single mention if lag tweaks/fixes.

Have they seriously not done a single thing to correct the lag issues? Please don't tell me they're still pinning the blame on the users.

Haven't touched this since December due to the spawn and lag comp issues. Checked the patch notes briefly and still saw not a single mention if lag tweaks/fixes.

Have they seriously not done a single thing to correct the lag issues? Please don't tell me they're still pinning the blame on the users.

If they've done anything, they've certainly stayed very quiet about it.

Top Bottom