• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

What's the map DLC situation like right now? I see there's a pack coming out soon, and I'm wondering what I should do if I only want to buy one DLC. How does the map rotation work when multiple DLCs are out but you only own one of them?

thanks

What's the map DLC situation like right now? I see there's a pack coming out soon, and I'm wondering what I should do if I only want to buy one DLC. How does the map rotation work when multiple DLCs are out but you only own one of them?

thanks

You only play with other people that just have the one DLC.

It significantly reduces the amount of people you can play with, therefore greatly increasing your chances of having a worse connection.

Also, player skill is noticeably better, resulting in harder competition and worse performance by you.

For some game modes, there might only be 1 or 2 lobbies if you own just one DLC.

eek5

The largest playerbases will either have no DLC or all the DLC. Getting just one pack and a random one at that will significantly hinder your ability to find good matches once the "24/7 new DLC" playlist goes away.

Balls, that sucks. There probably isn't a better way to do it from their perspective, but that stings.

How are you guys liking the first map pack?

Eh I'll just buy it and see for myself. I love that you can buy different amounts of points on Amazon. And no tax.

eek5

Balls, that sucks. There probably isn't a better way to do it from their perspective, but that stings.

How are you guys liking the first map pack?

Eh I'll just buy it and see for myself. I love that you can buy different amounts of points on Amazon. And no tax.

One of the best map packs I've purchased for any COD imo. The first pack was pretty good in MW3 but these maps are a lot better overall. I pretty much always vote for a DLC map when it's available.

Wish we could see individual map stats like mw3 elite. I'm pretty sure they're all in my top ~6 maps though in terms of spm and k/d. Lot of mid-range engagements which are kind of missing in the vanilla maps

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
The largest playerbases will either have no DLC or all the DLC. Getting just one pack and a random one at that will significantly hinder your ability to find good matches once the "24/7 new DLC" playlist goes away.

Is there a reason why we didn't get a turn DLC off button like MW3 had, I have a friend who doesn't have any of the DLC when the rest of us in the group do, and while the game says it will search for games without the DLC it still brings up maps that he doesn't have so that is evidentially broken.

Is there a reason why we didn't get a turn DLC off button like MW3 had, I have a friend who doesn't have any of the DLC when the rest of us in the group do, and while the game says it will search for games without the DLC it still brings up maps that he doesn't have so that is evidentially broken.

Complain at Vonderhaar's twitter.

eek5

Weird. I play with a guy without DLC and that has never happened to me. Does it matter who is hosting for you?

Radec

This is actually like Dota2's The International event.

But with that stupid trash talking because players are so close with each other.

It's been a really even match so far, final game in best of 11 now, all the way to the end.

And I have no faves, have no idea who everyone is just watching for esports :p

Just picked up this game after a few years' CoD hiatus and I have some questions:

1) Is BOII generally considered the best CoD yet? If not, why not?
2) Are the plot and characters related to the first Black Ops in any significant way?
3) Is Sam Worthington on the cover? Looks like him on the title screen and I know he voices one of the two (?) player characters.
4) Is any of the DLC worth it (sweet guns/attachments) or is it all just additional maps?
5) Has this November's CoD game been announced? I assume it would be Infinity Ward developed, right?

Sorry, I do know these are dumb questions.

Just picked up this game after a few years' CoD hiatus and I have some questions:

2) Are the plot and characters related to the first Black Ops in any significant way?
3) Is Sam Worthington on the cover? Looks like him on the title screen and I know he voices one of the two (?) player characters.
4) Is any of the DLC worth it (sweet guns/attachments) or is it all just additional maps?
5) Has this November's CoD game been announced? I assume it would be Infinity Ward developed, right?

It's definitely one of the better CoDs in terms of multiplayer. THe connection can be frustrating at times and the spawns sometimes suck but in terms of weapon/perk/equipment balance it's one of the best CoDs yet. If it had MW2 quality connection and the shotguns got a slight buff it would be perfect.

It is going to be developed by Sledgehammer Games again, just like Modern Warfare 3.

An official announcement is expected soon. Within the next 4-7 week or so.

It also won't be called Modern Warfare 4 because that sounds too similar to Call of Duty 4.

It's definitely one of the better CoDs in terms of multiplayer. THe connection can be frustrating at times and the spawns sometimes suck but in terms of weapon/perk/equipment balance it's one of the best CoDs yet. If it had MW2 quality connection and the shotguns got a slight buff it would be perfect.

Just to add, it really is fantastic, except for C4 spammers. It took me about a week to get used to the new engine/guns, then I really saw the game shine. The Dlc is nice to have the extra maps, but the gun is just okay. I only recommend it if you're going to be playing for more than a month from now.

snacknuts

we all knew her

Seriously? They are already overpowered.

domstah

A tip I picked up - if you want to beat up on newbs, and just feel better about how much better of a player you are - delete the DLC. You will only be "matchmade" against those without the DLC - who are likely to be less hardcore players.

Also you should watch this guy's videos too: https://www.youtube.com/user/ImProbablyUnemployed

His videos provide really good analysis of why he does well playing BO2 - providing some insight in to the psychology of a good objective player.

eek5

The best? It's close. If the next DLC pack is a slam dunk I think it'll be one of my favorites. It definitely is the most balanced COD we've seen.

4) Yes. The 3 maps are good. The engagement ranges are kind of unique compared to vanilla maps. It comes with one gun (peacekeeper) which is decent but I am not a fan of it.
5) Just rumors.

The best? It's close. If the next DLC pack is a slam dunk I think it'll be one of my favorites. It definitely is the most balanced COD we've seen.

4) Yes. The 3 maps are good. The engagement ranges are kind of unique compared to vanilla maps. It comes with one gun (peacekeeper) which is decent but I am not a fan of it.
5) Just rumors.

I would say MW2 is probably the most balanced CoD to date and MW3 2nd best.

Without the noob tubes and commando, everything else is pretty well balanced with the guns and perks. Killstreaks were decent as well.

eek5

I would say MW2 is probably the most balanced CoD to date and MW3 2nd best.

Without the noob tubes and commando, everything else is pretty well balanced with the guns and perks. Killstreaks were decent as well.

Yeah but noob tubes, commando, and OMA exist so....

mk14 is too good lol

Haha that gun is great. Stuff like that always seems to go unnoticed though for burst and semi autos. The G11 might be the greatest gun in CoD history because it's 1 burst kill in the CoD where guns were weakest. It had plenty of ammo as well. Somehow the Type 95 got patched, but the G11 didn't even though the G11 was better. (they always patch based off popularity) :p

MW2 FAL and Blops 2 FAL/SMR are essentially the same gun as the MK14.

eek5

Mk14 had a faster RoF than FAL/SMR though and it was 2HK at further than SMR dropoff. I think it was even OHK headshot close range because of 1.4x HS multiplier too. That gun was unreal.

In all the past CODs I've had a handful of guns I was really good at and the rest were pretty garbage. I've always tried to get 1k kills on everything but this is the first COD where I've actually done decently w/ almost all the guns

508meVJ.png

Usually there is a drop-off in my most used guns where it goes from 1.8-2+ k/d down to like 1.3-1.5 range for everything else. I don't think I've gotten much better; the guns are just a lot more usable now IMO.

Mk14 had a faster RoF than FAL/SMR though and it was 2HK at further than SMR dropoff. I think it was even OHK headshot close range because of 1.4x HS multiplier too. That gun was unreal.

In all the past CODs I've had a handful of guns I was really good at and the rest were pretty garbage. I've always tried to get 1k kills on everything but this is the first COD where I've actually done decently w/ almost all the guns

Usually there is a drop-off in my most used guns where it goes from 1.8-2+ k/d down to like 1.3-1.5 range for everything else. I don't think I've gotten much better; the guns are just a lot more usable now IMO.

I still feel like there are the good guns that stick out in every category, except for maybe SMGs, which are all good and seem to dominate any other weapon tier.

I could say the same about MW2 though with doing well with every gun. I honestly don't think it gets more balanced than that. What broke it was perks, such as OMA, Danger Close, Commando, and Sitrep Pro. The guns themselves are extremely balanced IMO.

Seriously? They are already overpowered.

The only one that can be argued as overpowered is the 870 and even that is simply a case of people pissed off that a pump-action will OHK them when they come face to face around an unexpected corner. It's effective 1HK range is still shorter than the max damage range of most SMGs.

Go try using the S12 on a map that isn't hijacked and then come back and tell me how overpowered the shotguns are.

Nebula

From someone who has all shotguns gold and uses them often, I can say that the Remmington can be pretty OP in most peoples hands. The KSG takes some good aiming so that isn't OP. The S12 is harder to use effectively, and requires long barrel and laser sight to be effective. Even then it still very rarely one hits, and to get one hits requires you to hug people or sneak up from behind and get close. The m1216 is pretty powerful but not as powerful as the Remmington. It takes a bit of getting used to but once you get familiar you can kill most people in close range within 2 shots. This also requires the laser sight and long barrel however.

Remember that this is just my experience with the weapons though. Also if you're looking to gold the Shotguns, go Hardcore. It will save you plenty of time, and I surprisingly pulled nice positives even though I barely play Hardcore.

Thanks for all the responses to my questions! I am really enjoying this game so far, both multiplayer and campaign.

What is the "best" SMG in this game?

Top Bottom