• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I late joined a game of Capture the Flag in Nuketown only to die every time I respawned. The other team wasn't even doing the objective. They were just spawn camping. They had over 70 kills each. Wtf is up with that bullshit?

Edit:

And another thing I noticed, what's the point of using a grenade, sticky, betty, axe (lol), or any of the other options once you unlock the C4? It renders all the other tactical grenades useless because it's so effective.

I late joined a game of Capture the Flag in Nuketown only to die every time I respawned. The other team wasn't even doing the objective. They were just spawn camping. They had over 70 kills each. Wtf is up with that bullshit?

Edit:

And another thing I noticed, what's the point of using a grenade, sticky, betty, axe (lol), or any of the other options once you unlock the C4? It renders all the other tactical grenades useless because it's so effective.

That's yet unfortunate truth of Black Ops 2. I've been playing yearly since CoD4 and from my personal opinion BO2 is the most spawn trap happy one of the bunch. Nuketown being the worst offender. You should probably avoid the objective modes when you run into games like that because they have more strict spawns and you'll always end up spawning on the same side.

I don't play Team Deathmatch or Kill Confirmed in this one, but at least the spawns should move around in those. Domination is fine too as long as the other team doesn't hold B and either A or C.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge of the spawn system can give you some info on how the spawn flips and all that work, but pretty much anything on the small maps like Nuketown and Hijack are going to be filled with spawn trapping in Capture the Flag and Demolition.

And as for the grenades/etc vs. C4, you're right. There isn't much use in using them. Grenades have a further throw distance so if you like to randomly throw things around they're pretty good, but I don't believe stickies can the thrown as far (anyone care to correct me? I'm not sure) so they don't really seem to have as much use. I'm not a user of the combat axe either, but it does have its uses since it's so fast to throw and seems to have a pretty strong aim assist if you just throw it randomly in the air for some lucky kills.

Don't underestimate the bouncing betty though. It's great for objective defense or covering your back. It's also useful to just toss in a flank route because if someone trips it and survives, you still get a hit marker so it can give away enemy positions.

The spawn system in Black Ops 2 is an abject disaster. After 13 patches, it's almost as if nothing has been addressed. Can someone logically explain to me why I'm spawning directly in front of and beside people on Nuketown?
Shipment in MW1 was much bigger than Nuketown, rememeber that it had the two upstairs cabins on each side where people could snipe from and spawn safely. Now show me on a map like this:
nuketown.jpg

Where someone can safely spawn if in a 6v6 game you have an enemy in both houses, both back yards, one in the middle, and the sixth guy whereever. And that's TDM, which is going to have more options for spawns than gamemodes like Domination and Hardpoint.

Nuketown was shit in BO1 as well and the only maps with worse spawns than Nuketown were all the MW3 maps where you would have a 50% chance of watching enemies spawn.

And it wasn't that they didn't playtest nuketown. It's that people keep requesting for that horrendous map. This is same CoD community that in MW3 would vote for Dome constantly and thought Rust was a good map in MW2 (which BTW was also a map with bad spawns.)
tl;dr: 13 patches in and Black Ops 2 is still fucking trash.
It's a million times better than the two CoDs that came before it. For starters there is much better weapon balance in this game. When's the last CoD game where you could say all 7 weapon classes (LMG,AR,SMG,Sniper,SG,Shield,Secondary) had notable use?
That's yet unfortunate truth of Black Ops 2. I've been playing yearly since CoD4 and from my personal opinion BO2 is the most spawn trap happy one of the bunch. Nuketown being the worst offender. You should probably avoid the objective modes when you run into games like that because they have more strict spawns and you'll always end up spawning on the same side.
Nuketown sucks, but BO2 isn't the game with the worst spawns.

MW3is worse.

Semtex and Frag have the same arch.

Shipment in MW1 was much bigger than Nuketown, rememeber that it had the two upstairs cabins on each side where people could snipe from and spawn safely. Now show me on a map like this:
http://blackopsguide.net/images/nuketown.jpg

I think you're getting Shipment mixed up Wet Work.

Shipment was just a square with storage crates in it. It was so damn small it was common to actually spawn INSIDE another player. You'd be looking at the inside of their face during the pre-match countdown clock. What a joke.

Ensoul

Quick Scoping is the worst. Cannot believe they brought this back after they took it out of the first black ops. I don't have a major issue with shotguns but what gets me is when I shoot someone 3 times and they blast me once and I die.

Never understood the love affair with nuke town either. You get spawn trapped all the time and you're getting killed every 5 seconds. Never understood how that map is enjoyable.

Quick Scoping is the worst. Cannot believe they brought this back after they took it out of the first black ops. I don't have a major issue with shotguns but what gets me is when I shoot someone 3 times and they blast me once and I die.

Well, the problem with Black Ops 1 is that whatever they did totally gimped real, legit sniping too. So they had to revert it somewhat.

Ensoul

Well, the problem with Black Ops 1 is that whatever they did totally gimped real, legit sniping too. So they had to revert it somewhat.

Never was a huge fan of sniper rifles so I did not use them all that much so I have to ask why were they gimped on BO? I know the hit detection was awful in BO, maybe that had something to do with it?

Tenumi

Banned
My question is, why not take the easy way out and just remove Sniper Rifles entirely from future games? I mean, Semi Auto Battle Rifles are good alternatives for ranged combat, and it seems like most maps made don't actually have enough open space for sniper rifles.

Ensoul

My question is, why not take the easy way out and just remove Sniper Rifles entirely from future games? I mean, Semi Auto Battle Rifles are good alternatives for ranged combat, and it seems like most maps made don't actually have enough open space for sniper rifles.

They don't so that is why I assume they added the quick scope back.

I miss the Model and being able to kill someone in one shot...

Anyway, I hear the lowered the rate of fire for the Ballista with this last update (Haven't been on in a week or so)? How can you make a gun any slower than that?

Rashid

Banned
Does anyone else have problems trying to get the Free For All Master Calling Card? I've done all 8 challenges, every single one including the 15/20 killstreak ones and it still says 7 of 8 challenges completed. What the heck.

Hoodbury

Anyone knowledgeable with Portforwarding? Do you know is it an all or nothing deal? I was able to setup some of the recommended ports but for some reason I got an error message when trying to setup 2 of them. Said something like that port is already being used somewhere else.

So I got some ports opened but not all of them. I got to play 5 matches after I did that and I did notice better performance, but 5 matches is a pretty small sample.

Just curious if anyone knows about the intricate details of portforwarding.

I might try resetting my router to factory settings and then seeing if I can setup all the ports tonight.

Thanks

Does anyone else have problems trying to get the Free For All Master Calling Card? I've done all 8 challenges, every single one including the 15/20 killstreak ones and it still says 7 of 8 challenges completed. What the heck.

There is a hidden one called Nuked Out which requires you to get a nuclear medal in FFA.

I miss the Model and being able to kill someone in one shot...

Anyway, I hear the lowered the rate of fire for the Ballista with this last update (Haven't been on in a week or so)? How can you make a gun any slower than that?
Ballista's nerf was very slight. went from 51RPM to 47RPM (For comparison the DSR nerf was from 50RPM to 40RPM)

Literally all of the quickscoping community's grief is because their quickscoping quadfeeds have to be done with a gun with a slightly smaller OHK hitbox (and the slight delay in sprint recovery)

Hopefully now that pick10 is here to stay treyarch puts a few more shotguns in their next game. One can be the 1887 with the only attachment options being the long barrel and a saw off attachment, one can be some double barrel with the same limitations, and one can be the USAS with all the shotguns attachment options.

I say treyarch because I have a feeling that Ghosts is going to have shitty shotguns again. IW was extremely stubborn to only do that one shotgun buff. Their refusal to buff the AA12 was inexcusable.

Ghazi

I will never use an 1887 that doesn't have an akimbo option.

I wish I could have akimbo PDW's with laser sights and extended mags on both (I'm kidding)

Revson

I don't have a problem with shotguns in public matches, but the R870 is about as strong a shotgun as the game needs.

I wish they would ban shotguns in league play, too many people rely on them to get kills in hardpoint.

The spawn system in Black Ops 2 is an abject disaster. After 13 patches, it's almost as if nothing has been addressed. Can someone logically explain to me why I'm spawning directly in front of and beside people on Nuketown? I could understand this on Ground War, but in regular 6v6 games, this fucking chaos should not be happening. It certainly didn't happen on the original Black Ops.

It fucking mystifies me how a map like Shipment from Call of Duty 4 could manage to avoid this spawn bullshit, yet every game gets worse and worse and worse. How does this seem to go backwards and get worse with every iteration?

In regards to Black Ops 2, I'm sure as to what happened. Sometime during the lifespan as the main Call of Duty for the original Black Ops, David Vonderhaar developed a raging boner for eSports. I'm thoroughly convinced Vonderhaar and his band of merry men only tested this game in that precious 4v4 environment and gave no fuck about anything else. That can only explain the maps that get smaller and smaller, the spawn system being a complete fucking mess even on 6v6, the characters moving way too fucking fast, lag compensation that has never been addressed (and has been proven to exist even on fucking LAN), and just about everything else.

Vonderhaar will only address something if it pisses off his precious eSports crowd. Not an eSports darling and don't like something about Black Ops 2? Fuck you, you don't matter.

I swear to fucking god this series goes backwards with every new game that comes out. Call of Duty 4 was gaming utopia. What a tornado of chaos it's become.

And don't even get me started on the fucking quickscoping. Those people are the cancer of Call of Duty, but who can blame them when the fucking lazy ass developers give fuck all about addressing it?

tl;dr: 13 patches in and Black Ops 2 is still fucking trash.

And COD Ghosts is still going to sell like hot cakes.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Shotguns have the worst accuracy, even within a ten foot radius.

I find shotguns to be really hit and miss, which is totally dependent on the games connection. Sometimes every shot lines up perfectly, and sometimes I feel like I'm shooting at a ghost to the point of chasing someone most of the way across a map and getting hit marks but they just won't die, eventually turning around and nailing me in one.

Jarsonot

Hey guys/gals... I'm playing on Wii U.

My cousin can join my game and send me invites, but I don't get the option to send him an invite or join his game...

Anyone know why this is?

Raptor

Any advice for the FAL?

I just want to know the best attachments and general tips.

I will be using that till I unlock the Ballista and once I get that those two will be my weapons of choice pretty much forever.

Revson

Any advice for the FAL?

I just want to know the best attachments and general tips.

I will be using that till I unlock the Ballista and once I get that those two will be my weapons of choice pretty much forever.
Quickdraw, Reflex, Stock.

Just practice your trigger finger and you'll be unstoppable if you can shoot fast and aim well with the FAL. And don't be afraid to hipfire with it.

Just a little under 24 hours until the DLC #4 reveal trailer will be released. I'm pretty excited to see what the new zombie map will include, except the first trailer is usually 2 mins of multiplayer footage and a short 15 second teaser of zombies :/ But there also might not be any multiplayer this time if the map pack style is the same as Black Ops 1. 2 more weeks and it'll finally be here :D

EDIT: Oops, forgot today was August 5th lol. The trailer will be a week from tomorrow on the 13th, not the 6th, which also means 3 weeks until the DLC release, not 2.

Raptor

I had a game in carrier that went 11-80 or something, I could not move 3 steps without being spawn killed.

Was ridiculous, seriously Treyarch needs to do something about this.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Quickdraw, Reflex, Stock.

Just practice your trigger finger and you'll be unstoppable if you can shoot fast and aim well with the FAL. And don't be afraid to hipfire with it.
Thanks for this. I've been using it and have been having so much fun with the FAL. It's definitely deadly!

Tenumi

Banned
So, a WaW map remake, a potential Blops Stadium remake/spiritual successor, two new maps, and what is presumably the "Origin" of the zombie story.

Cool, can't wait.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I had a game in carrier that went 11-80 or something, I could not move 3 steps without being spawn killed.

Was ridiculous, seriously Treyarch needs to do something about this.

I assume this was in some kind of objective game? I pretty much exclusively play TDM and I don't get spawn killed except for the occasional game on small maps like Nuketown or Hijacked.

Top Bottom