• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

mxgt

Banned
Lag is still the most frustrating thing about these games

Taking fire, move behind wall, die anyway. Watch killcam which shows me clearly visible. Sigh.

HiiiLife

it is really bad, unplayable bad. Losing every gunfight you'd know you win without that bullshit.

i'm not the one to brag but just to give you an idea. last 2 cod games i had 4.5 kd's now i'm struggling to keep a 1.5/2 . I mainly play tdm

This x100. I easily maintained above a 2.0 KD in the previous CoDs. But I am STRUGGLING with this game. WTF is going on Treyarch?

nOoblet16

Ive got to say, the CoD engine is starting to look and feel really outdated. Activision should man up and let IW or Treyarch create a new engine. Or at least license Frostbyte 2. I'd love some delicious world destruction in a CoD game

You're missing the point, they probably can match up to BF3 visuals easily but they'd need to sacrifice the control/input delay because they'd need to downgrade to 30FPS. The controls in COD are to simply put..perfect for a console shooter, and this is largely because of the fact that they aim for 60FPS unlike every other console shooter out there.

Sojgat

The graphics certainly look nice for a COD game. There's a little bit more pop in than I've noticed in previous titles, but the design and little details all around the maps are leagues ahead of a lot of other shooters. Maps made up of rubble and bombed out buildings are nothing to write home about, but the environments full of displays, running water, and moving elements are really cool.

-TK-

I can't understand why people ALWAYS cry about lag, hit detections on discussion forums. I've been playing Cods since Cod4 and I never have any big problems with those - Neither has my friends.

Bo2 is working very well too. Even much better than Mw3. Some bad games may happens, but usually everything works great. My k/d is currently about 3.5 but will arise easily over 4.0 when I'll learn the new maps better.

A great game.

HiiiLife

Hmmm. Maybe cause it IS a problem? Nice try though. I hate how people ALWAYS have something to say when others are bringing up legitimate complaints. Based off a few of these comments, I'm clearly not the only one experiencing connection issues.

I thoroughly enjoyed MW3's campaign, I thought it was a blast. I've liked all the MW campaigns.

WaW's was pretty decent in places, awful in others, and BO1's was just garbage. I'm hoping this one is a lot better.

MW2/CoD 4 > 2 > Blops 2 > MW3 > WaW > 1 > Blops > Being eaten by a goat > 3

That's how I'd rate the SP campaigns. Can't pick between 4 and MW2.

So far this game is the third best MP experience, behind COD4 and MW2.

RS4-

The ways spawns are handled changes the way I play. It's hard to flank when every time an enemy dies means they have a huge chance of spawning relatively close to you.

Also annoying when you spawn, look for the UAV or drone to shoot down, only to get shot within seconds before you get a rocket off.

I can't understand why people ALWAYS cry about lag, hit detections on discussion forums. I've been playing Cods since Cod4 and I never have any big problems with those - Neither has my friends.

Bo2 is working very well too. Even much better than Mw3. Some bad games may happens, but usually everything works great. My k/d is currently about 3.5 but will arise easily over 4.0 when I'll learn the new maps better.

A great game.

Its been in every Cod game I have played (MW1,2 and BlOps). Its a known entity and if you havn't noticed it then good for you. I regularly would have games when everyone would die the second I saw then and the next game full clips in some ones back wouldn't kill them. There are youtube vids out there that prove it as well.

Fistwell

Could the people having problems with lag list what platform they're playing on? I've had a cple of instances of kill cam not matching what had happened on my end (PC here btw), but by far and large, it's been mostly fair. A lot more so than in MW3 (PC as well).

nOoblet16

Its been in every Cod game I have played (MW1,2 and BlOps). Its a known entity and if you havn't noticed it then good for you. I regularly would have games when everyone would die the second I saw then and the next game full clips in some ones back wouldn't kill them. There are youtube vids out there that prove it as well.

This happens when you lag, the other player has already taken a shot at you but because of lag from your side you don't see them and by the time you see them you are dead. It's fair and square cause that other player did see you and killed you from his perspective. As for unloading the whole clip, that's lag again...you don't need to unload the whole clip as you only need as many bullets to kill if there's a delay then they will die regardless of you putting the whole magazine or just the number of bullets needed....but it will take a while before they die because of the lag (unless ofcourse you get shot at by someone before your target is dead, in which case you won't get the kill).

One can do nothing about this but only try and minimize the lag to as low as possible, but you can only go as far since there'll always be some amount latency delay due to players being in a geographical locations. It's not the game's fault if your latency to the host/server is higher than others.

Sojgat

Having to join then quit games multiple times until eventually stumbling upon a local host, has been a huge problem here for every game since the COD4 update. Either that's been fixed, or I've been extremely lucky over the last couple of days. I've never had a bad connection, and there also hardly ever seems to be anyone who does. I've seen the lag compensation at work in a few killcams, but it seems pretty rare. Again maybe I've been extremely lucky, but I've always been forced to be cognizant of everyone else's connections during games (and who knows how accurately that's represented anyway).

Nakazato

Am I the only one having issues trying to play on xbox live I can't connect to the server. I tested again with reach and reach worked

Edit connected to a game and server drops me 2 mins later

nOoblet16

Having to join then quit games multiple times until eventually stumbling upon a local host, has been a huge problem here for every game since the COD4 update. Either that's been fixed, or I've been extremely lucky over the last couple of days. I've never had a bad connection, and there also hardly ever seems to be anyone who does. I've seen the lag compensation at work in a few killcams, but it seems pretty rare. Again maybe I've been extremely lucky, but I've always been forced to be cognizant of everyone else's connections during games (and who knows how accurately that's represented anyway).
Pretty sure they've had the option to have the game pick only pick local hosts rather than one located anywhere in the world since MW2.

Am I the only one having issues trying to play on xbox live I can't connect to the server. I tested again with reach and reach worked
Quit to main menu (where you pic between campaign, multiplayer and zombies) and log in again into multiplayer, worked for me.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
it is really bad, unplayable bad. Losing every gunfight you'd know you win without that bullshit.

i'm not the one to brag but just to give you an idea. last 2 cod games i had 4.5 kd's now i'm struggling to keep a 1.5/2 . I mainly play tdm

This x100. I easily maintained above a 2.0 KD in the previous CoDs. But I am STRUGGLING with this game. WTF is going on Treyarch?

Yep. Same here. I'm not the best CoD player in the world, but I always maintain a good 1.3-1.7 K/D. In Black Ops 2, I can't even reach 1.0!

Although, I attribute most of that to playing against level 30+ and up people who clearly had better gear and knew the map inside out. Even so, I'm struggling to kill people for some reason. Add how difficult it is to pull of the high scorestreaks in TDM.

Played Domination more than TDM now, but asshats don't give a shit about the capture points. I normally take it by myself but end up dying in the process. :( Makes me wish the capture zone was a bit larger. Heck, in BF3, I can capture flags by myself with confidence. But in Blops 2, it's like you're discouraged from attacking flags unless you have a mate or two who are willing to help out...I find that randoms don't give a shit most of the time.

Spookie

So far this game is the third best MP experience, behind COD4 and MW2.

What? No, no no. I've played CoD 1, 2, 4, MW2, Blops and now this. I'd firmly put this on the 'complete dogshit' pile with MW2. I've been playing the MP for a grand total of 90 minutes and I'm already sick of death of it. My attention has dwindled with CoD over the years but due to the complete lack of skill required to play this game I'm tapping out already. I should mention I've only played these games on the PC where the lack of recoil and the accuracy of the mouse and guns really fuck things up.

nOoblet16

What? No, no no. I've played CoD 1, 2, 4, MW2, Blops and now this. I'd firmly put this on the 'complete dogshit' pile with MW2. I've been playing the MP for a grand total of 90 minutes and I'm already sick of death of it. My attention has dwindled with CoD over the years but due to the complete lack of skill required to play this game I'm tapping out already. I should mention I've only played these games on the PC where the lack of recoil and the accuracy of the mouse and guns really fuck things up.

Maybe you should try playing objective based gametypes like S&D.
It's not true when people say COD doesn't requires skills, it does just in a different way. Some games require you to build the skill around recoil, accuracy and solid teamwork to provide covering...while others require you to have good map knowledge with awareness and fast reaction time...I put COD in the latter bracket.

Yea if you press the back button in the multiplayer menu you get the option for preference.
EDIT: For this game it's different, press X when you select Find match in matchmaking.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Played for 4 hours last night and maybe played only 12 games on PS3. Just wasting a ton of time sitting in full lobbies and the screen says "looking for more players to balance teams..." HUH!?!?!?! We have 12/12 start the game!!!!!!! So I back out and restart, same thing....every....time. "looking for more players to balance teams..." "looking for more players to balance teams..." "looking for more players to balance teams..." Sooooo annoying.

Spookie

It's not true when people say COD doesn't requires skills, it does just in a different way. Some games require you to build the skill around recoil, accuracy and solid teamwork to provide covering...while others require you to have good map knowledge with awareness and fast reaction time...I put COD in the latter bracket.

Map awareness? Maybe that would apply if everyone didn't sound like they were running around barefoot on hardwood flooring. I remember being able to determine where people were on CS back in the day by the volume and height of footsteps. I'm too old for this shit. :(

Victrix

*beard*
Maybe everyone already knows this, but when you go into matchmaking and hit find match, press X to change the network quality search parameter, you can change it to 'best'. I can't recall an awful game last night, but I haven't had too many issues with netcode so far, shrug. Excepting a bit of lag in ground war, but hey, thats ground war, its always semi terrible :p

(std disclaimers: fios, east coast us, 360 version)

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Few things I wish were different:

Primary gun should not count as a pick 10 but knife should.
There should be no wildcard for grenades. 2 lethal should be 2/10.
UAV should be a personal UAV or require more points to obtain.

cameltoe

Map awareness? Maybe that would apply if everyone didn't sound like they were running around barefoot on hardwood flooring. I remember being able to determine where people were on CS back in the day by the volume and height of footsteps. I'm too old for this shit. :(

Totally agree here.....

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Played for 4 hours last night and maybe played only 12 games on PS3. Just wasting a ton of time sitting in full lobbies and the screen says "looking for more players to balance teams..." HUH!?!?!?! We have 12/12 start the game!!!!!!! So I back out and restart, same thing....every....time. "looking for more players to balance teams..." "looking for more players to balance teams..." "looking for more players to balance teams..." Sooooo annoying.

Yep. Happened to me a ton of times, too. Kinda thankful it wasn't just me. XD

I thought it was my connection at first, but after reading peoples' posts, it seems the PS3 version have this problem. It is better than what Black Ops 1 was for the PS3 though. That game's connection and matchmaking was shit. Black Ops 2 is better but the game could benefit so much from dedicated servers.

madmackem

I wonder why reviewers aren't pulling up all the jank, some of its laughable. I've had ai on horse back looking like a plastic toy with no animations, I've watched a fire fight between ai two feet apart shooting at each other for what seemed like minutes before I put them out of there misery. Moh got pulled to bits for situations like that but I've seen no mention of it in reviews.

I must say, having not played a CoD since 4 and coming right from Battlefield 3 these maps are on average waaay too small. Still fun though. I hope the DLC adds some bigger maps.

madmackem

Also the hosting in multi is straight up broke, in a party I have the best connection by miles with 20mb upload and people in my party with less than mb are getting host.

Ensoul

Yep. Same here. I'm not the best CoD player in the world, but I always maintain a good 1.3-1.7 K/D. In Black Ops 2, I can't even reach 1.0! .

This sums up my online experience thus far. I was an average player at black ops and was usually able to finish above a 1.0 KDR. Now I am just getting my ass handed to me. I am around a .88 right now (Mostly play TDM) and I only think it will get worse from here. The pick 10 system is a good idea but right now I just feel the perks and the add ons to the guns are just useless to me because I think I would die just as quickly with or without them.

As for the lag compensation (Xbox 360cannot get a grasp if that is a big problem or not yet) I do have fios and their second best speed. However I do feel like I am getting screwed out of kills as I lose about 75% of my gun fights. I am not ready just yet to say it is as bad as MW 3.

I don't know, maybe I should just stop obsessing about my stats and play the game. :/

Loved BLOPS1 and I absolutely hated MW3, I jumped into BLOPS2 because of the futuristic settings/weapons and I'm glad I did; game is fantastic.

Played last night for a while after work, got myself to level 15 and I'm having just as much fun as I did with BLOPS, fantastic game. It pulled me away from Halo 4 though :(

HiiiLife

I am destroying with the Ballista. Lol. So far it's helping to even out the lag compensation in my favor with the one shot kills.

Nabs

HCTDM is so good again :) I can't wait to play some with friends tonight.

I'm on PC and went with Fullscreen rather than Windowed Borderless and I feel like my mouse is more responsive. It could be in my head.

Top Bottom