• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Not sure if you guys already know, but there was a small update last night:

https://twitter.com/DavidVonderhaar
Pushing a small update. Hardpoint score limit increased. Season Pass availability from in-game Store.

Your version (at least on the 360) should be 20.130.15.

Currently playing campaign and so far I'm enjoying it. Didn't know there would be challenges and leaderboards. Nice surprise.

Been playing mostly Domination and HC TDM. Haven't found a favorite map yet. Need to play more.

Enjoying the fact that I can carry 2 trophy systems. Helps out when I'm capping B in Domination.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I have been using Lightweight/Extreme Cond. and I feel like I am not even moving that fast. Feels like two wasted perks.

Acinixys

Aftre playing another 2 hours of MP on PC i have to say that im very disappointed with the hit detection. Ive been playing with the 870 exclusively, and about 50% of the time ill hit a guy right in the chest from 1-2 meters and he'll take me out with no damage. Its very frustrating. Maybe im just too use to BF3

Victrix

*beard*
Are you adsing? The shotguns all need ads in this one, their spread is much worse without it, and the ksg is pointless without ads.

Vol5

Soooooo.

Finally got the game to work on my PC in windowed mode at 1280x768 (clearly the issue is with 1080p or fullscreen. Still getting out of memory warnings as well when switched to fullscreen)

I think it's OK. Nothing spectacular, but it's OK and definitely better than BLOPS1, which I hated.

'Some' of the maps are uninspired and lack real, true coherence. There are walls just placed in places to give cover. Treyarch should include them as part of a building or other structure. As it is things look out of place and takes away from the feeling of certain maps. Also, some maps are a bit sparse.

On the whole though, definitely a better MP experience than BLOPS1, at least on Hardcore.

ruxtpin

Banned
Is it just me, or do the guns feels like they have no recoil at all?

I even killed someone with a sniper last night, after my SMG ran out of ammo, and that NEVER happens.

MrDaravon

Man, I thought I had finally found my groove last night after hours of getting destroyed, but nope, getting utterly destroyed again this morning. I've only found one gun that's clicked for me at all, and I can't find any combination of perks that seems to work for me. I don't care about going on crazy sprees or getting high-end kills streaks, I'd just like to fucking break even so I don't feel like a total piece of dogshit for my team. I just went 4/17 and that's been my best performance of the day so far. I just don't know what to fucking do in this game, I've never been so frustrated in an online shooter.

I even killed someone with a sniper last night, after my SMG ran out of ammo, and that NEVER happens.

Yeah, I don't sense any recoil. You can fire and zoom in and out of the scope simultaneously without any deviation from the target. It's weird.

Acinixys

Are you adsing? The shotguns all need ads in this one, their spread is much worse without it, and the ksg is pointless without ads.

Im running RDS/Laser/Heavy Barrel (forgot its CoD name). Im CQC i just hip fire because ADS is useless, but beyond 4m or so i always ADS. Youre saying i must ADS in every fight? Usually missing the first shot = death, which is why i prefer to hipfire. Lets you jump around more.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Im running RDS/Laser/Heavy Barrel (forgot its CoD name). Im CQC i just hip fire because ADS is useless, but beyond 4m or so i always ADS. Youre saying i must ADS in every fight? Usually missing the first shot = death, which is why i prefer to hipfire. Lets you jump around more.

Long Barrel, Adjustable Stock. If you want a third, Laser Sight.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't gotten high enough in levels, what are the attachments for the crossbow?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I don't get why they keep making small shitty maps, horrible.

I think there's actually a good mix, with quite a few large maps. I like the chaos of some of the smaller maps.

Is there a strategy in this game other than being patient , watching corners--basically camping areas for short bursts before moving on? Because when I try to be aggressive people just shoot me in the back or spawn behind me.

My biggest streaks last night came when I basically just pushed on an area, waited for a short moment where people would run in blindly, kill them and then do the same with another area.

I don't know how you can run and gun and maintain a good ratio in this game.

amar212

I still can't fathom the genius behind decision to launch without Team Tactical in rooster.

The Multi Team is not a supplement because if focuses on only-kill playlists.

I really, really can't understand the obvious bias against Team Tactical since COD4 times because that game mode is getting constant slapping from developers or they change it in crazy and stupid ways that undermines its essence.

3vs3 matches, all modes and all maps in rotation (except FFA), focus on teamwork and great way to enjoy the game in more tactical environment. Why is it so hard??

domstah

Anyone else having trouble connecting to the "online service" on 360? I've been trying on and off for half an hour with no luck ...

Victrix

*beard*

You have to ADS - it's kind of stupid honestly, because one major advantage of shotguns over SMGs was the ability to perform effectively while hipfiring, and they've somewhat lost that here.

That said - 870, ads at any range outside ultra close, S12 you can spray, KSG you must ads unless you like rolling dice (its a single slug, so hipfiring it is a bit like hipfiring a sniper with slightly better spread), and the M1216 you can also hipfire but only at damn close range, that thing is a popcorn shooter.

Swap out the Red Dot for Quickdraw. RDS is marginally useful on the KSG, which has real range, but you don't need it on the other three, they don't have the range to need an optic at all.

It's not that you can't hit at close range without adsing, you obviously can, it's that adsing raises your chance of a 1hko, which you need to outperform an smg. Otherwise you're seriously better off with an smg and a laser sight just spraying from the hip.

The auto and semi auto shotties you can get away with hipfire slightly more just because of rate of fire, you can stagger your target long enough to kill them.

Oh, MMS and Stock are also good attachments for shotguns - move at full speed while ADS and spot targets through walls in buildings etc.

But yeah, get Quickdraw and ADS a bunch until you get used to them.

This happens when you lag, the other player has already taken a shot at you but because of lag from your side you don't see them and by the time you see them you are dead. It's fair and square cause that other player did see you and killed you from his perspective. As for unloading the whole clip, that's lag again...you don't need to unload the whole clip as you only need as many bullets to kill if there's a delay then they will die regardless of you putting the whole magazine or just the number of bullets needed....but it will take a while before they die because of the lag (unless ofcourse you get shot at by someone before your target is dead, in which case you won't get the kill).

One can do nothing about this but only try and minimize the lag to as low as possible, but you can only go as far since there'll always be some amount latency delay due to players being in a geographical locations. It's not the game's fault if your latency to the host/server is higher than others.

yes and no. Its the only game series I have played where it goes on and off like it does. I can have a great ping and still get that. Its a lag compensation that the game throws in when you are hosting or something like that. There is a difference between it and actual lag.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a strategy in this game other than being patient , watching corners--basically camping areas for short bursts before moving on? Because when I try to be aggressive people just shoot me in the back or spawn behind me.

My biggest streaks last night came when I basically just pushed on an area, waited for a short moment where people would run in blindly, kill them and then do the same with another area.

I don't know how you can run and gun and maintain a good ratio in this game.

That is COD in a nutshell. Camp but not camp, so to speak. You hear youtube commentators complaining about "camping" but they are guilty off being behind shoulder high walls 90% of the time. COD is a positional shooter not a run n gun. Even though I just run around with a shotgun.

pa22word

Whoever thought it was a good idea to put the brightness adjust screen on an already extremely darkened screen needs to get their head examined >.>

I spent like 10 mins trying to figure out wtf was wrong with my monitor before I realized the dude on the main menu put on shades when the game started >_<

Oh, and the campaign is exhilarating thus far, but suffers from all the familiar Call of Duty problems that have been plaguing the series for so long. It really feels like after Call of Duty 4 both IW and Treyarch just upped and forgot how to properly pace a game. I feel like this is going to be Black Ops 1 all over again where upon finishing the campaign I think it's not too bad, but upon replaying it already knowing the scripting and I start to see how shallow it all is and end up hating the game.

On a positive note, the game seems pretty well optimized and the FoV slider is a welcome addition, I just wish it went higher than 80 =\

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
So if I prestige I won't lose progress on my weapon correct? I'd hate to try and get iron sights on my Ballista again.

Correct. Going Prestige now will get you added camos, etc.

Same here. I rock an AR and SMG and both feel the same. Regardless of long-range or CQ, recoil feels significantly lower compared to Black Ops 1 and Battlefield 3 (last FPS i played a ton of).

Man, I thought I had finally found my groove last night after hours of getting destroyed, but nope, getting utterly destroyed again this morning. I've only found one gun that's clicked for me at all, and I can't find any combination of perks that seems to work for me. I don't care about going on crazy sprees or getting high-end kills streaks, I'd just like to fucking break even so I don't feel like a total piece of dogshit for my team. I just went 4/17 and that's been my best performance of the day so far. I just don't know what to fucking do in this game, I've never been so frustrated in an online shooter.

Yep, me too. I play rounds where I get a decent K/D and score high, but for other times, I sometimes go 4-10 or something that pisses me off. I mean, I'm quite good at FPS' and I have no idea why I kinda suck at this version of CoD.

Man, I don't get why they keep making small shitty maps, horrible.

You just made me think of Turbine! Fuck! I hate that map. It's so disjointed. You have no idea which paths are passable, same with walls etc. I've played it countless times where the enemy was just camping in one of the "houses." It just seems so barren.

This sums up my online experience thus far. I was an average player at black ops and was usually able to finish above a 1.0 KDR. Now I am just getting my ass handed to me. I am around a .88 right now (Mostly play TDM) and I only think it will get worse from here. The pick 10 system is a good idea but right now I just feel the perks and the add ons to the guns are just useless to me because I think I would die just as quickly with or without them.

As for the lag compensation (Xbox 360cannot get a grasp if that is a big problem or not yet) I do have fios and their second best speed. However I do feel like I am getting screwed out of kills as I lose about 75% of my gun fights. I am not ready just yet to say it is as bad as MW 3.

I don't know, maybe I should just stop obsessing about my stats and play the game. :/

That's what I'm doing now. I'm just playing it regardless of what others think of my K/D. What's worse is, in Battlefield, I can have a crappy K/D but once someone sees my SPM, they know I go after objectives, etc. Yes, I know Blops 2 has an SPM, too. But be honest, it's the K/D what most people look at.

My net is down now so can't play, but I did manage to hit level 21 in a day's worth of playing. That might be the most painful level 21 I've experienced in any MP FPS ever. :(

I'm using an AR and an SMG, one semtex, one electric grenade, have Extreme Conditioning, and the rest are up for grabs.

What loadouts work now? For gun attachments, I use Fast Reloading and the Quick Aim. Have not unlocked the suppressor for the AR just yet. Is the SWAT AR a good gun?

Also, I've seen a lot of people have two perks on each tier 2 and 3. Might this be the "godly" build? These guys were level 40+ already, too.

Z3M0G

Game is amazing... but it pisses me off when I'm playing on PS3 which has blu-ray... and I'm watching FMVs with extremely shitty compression artifacts... with a noticeable solid line (in the artifacts) right down the center of the fucking screen.

That is COD in a nutshell. Camp but not camp, so to speak. You hear youtube commentators complaining about "camping" but they are guilty off being behind shoulder high walls 90% of the time. COD is a positional shooter not a run n gun. Even though I just run around with a shotgun.

Alright...this gives me a bit of hope...of just being a little more patient next time I play. I haven't taken CoD seriously since 4 and MW2, and I mostly ran with a silent approach...silenced guns, cold blooded, etc.

I'll look for a similar approach here.

fuenf

I havent experienced a single freeze on PS3, hopefully my luck will continue.
I finally gave the campaign a go and wow it's amazing, I didnt like the Strike Force mission at first (it's tough on hardened) but after figuring out how that mode works, it was a blast.

Raptor

I am destroying with the Ballista. Lol. So far it's helping to even out the lag compensation in my favor with the one shot kills.

This what I wanted to hear, Ballista will be my main pretty much all the time, reminds me of my beloved Kar98k back in CoD2.

:D

Z3M0G

Did I read here that there is a way to do a texture install for the PS3 version? I found nothing for this in the options. Maybe it was another game entirely...

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Really don't like the Aftermath map, unlike most others unless I literally stay in one place I end up getting shot going around almost every corner from behind. The rest though seem alright, none I have been taken with yet but besides Aftermath I enjoy the rest of them so far.

Anyone know if we can change reticle colour? And anyone know if Treyarch have at all mentioned bringing Infection over? loved that mode, lol.

Well i cant get on a game at all this morning. Is there some kinda server problems going on on the PS3? I keep getting an error occured while trying to find a session, please try again.

Game is amazing... but it pisses me off when I'm playing on PS3 which has blu-ray... and I'm watching FMVs with extremely shitty compression artifacts... with a noticeable solid line (in the artifacts) right down the center of the fucking screen.

This. So horrible. Affects Xbox 360 too.

Fistwell

You just made me think of Turbine! Fuck! I hate that map. It's so disjointed. You have no idea which paths are passable, same with walls etc.
Rule of thumb: paths are "passable," walls arent.

So what are Wildcards? Deathstreaks or something?
They let you "break rules." Two perks in a given tier, pick a main gun as a side gun, etc.

I will see your Turbine and raise you a "Yemen is the worst map in the game."

Too many places to have to keep a track of and sniper heaven.
Any maps you guys enjoy?

Top Bottom