• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Victrix

*beard*
The thing I don't like about this game, and it seems like its been an evolving problem with the series, is that there's no sense of range. 90% of the fights happen at close range. I don't think that was the case with MW1.

CoD4 had (gasp) actual grass you could hide in, and many pointless areas that enlarged maps artifically. This was bad for game flow, but good for, well, chilling out.

MW2 had more mid to large sized maps.

MW3... yeah.

These maps are definitely on the small side. For that, they have good flow, good cover, and multiple routes in and out of almost anywhere, but they are definitely designed to create a lot of conflict at almost any central point on the map and have few out of the way areas to take a moment to breath.

Me personally, I vastly preferred MW1 and 2s maps to BO or MW3. BO2 is somewhere in the middle for me. They're mostly good maps for a style of play I don't enjoy quite as much, but still preferable to MW3.

Anyway, all that said, take an AR or an LMG and slap an advanced optic on it and you can definitely mow people down at a distance. The SMGs are quite terrible at range, so as long as you can catch the runners before they can close the gap, you can come out on top. This is much harder without real friends to cover your flanks though, because there are damn few spots that you can hole up safely.

Speaking to that, unlock Scavenger and take Claymores or Betties with Shock Charges or Trophy System along with a Guardian and a Sentry and you can create your own little fortress of solitude in certain areas.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
After 5 hours of multiplayer only a few words come to mind... run like a mindless chicken, kill, get killed respawn. Ok, but zombie might be more my thing!

Man this game is fucking nuts, I went into Gamestop at 3 in the afternoon to try and get Ratchet HD collection (yea I'm lame ok) and this is what I see:
gLywe.jpg

(line continues out of the door)

And it was like this the entire day I was told... that's crazier then most of the midnight launches I go to and it's at 3pm. What.

Almost to 55, but I don't know if I'm going to make it. I want to see if Ghost makes the multi any less of a constant struggle. It fucking boggles my mind that this game, even more than MW3, ACTIVELY PUNISHES you for having a good connection.

It is one of the most infuriating things I've encountered while playing an online game. Eventually I've just gotten worn down by the constant bullshit I've seen in my killcams. I can do well, or what I consider well (2.0+ k/d) if I just camp a room with dual betties watching my back, but it's not much fun. Otherwise if I walk around the map I know that any enemy I encounter I basically have, at least, a few tenths of a second disadvantage on.

Man this game is fucking nuts, I went into Gamestop at 3 in the afternoon to try and get Ratchet HD collection (yea I'm lame ok) and this is what I see:
gLywe.jpg

(line continues out of the door)

And it was like this the entire day I was told... that's crazier then most of the midnight launches I go to and it's at 3pm. What.

All the kiddies getting out of school.

Adamm

Is there clan unlocks in this the same way there was in mw3 - like double xp and such?

And will there be a new gaf clan or is it just carrying on from mw3

A well respected news paper here (De Standaard) previewed the game, saying its the most realistic game with the best story, because a Hollywood guy wrote it lol.

Xux

Question to anyone that knows.

Let's say I spend a regular unlock token on Flak Jacket (not a Prestige Unlock Token).

Then I Prestige.

When I come around to the level gate, do I have to "rebuy" Flak Jacket? Or do I get to have it automatically unlocked?
You have to re-buy it.
can you only have 55 unlocked items each Prestige (until the last one)?
Yes.
So whats the hax gun/gear combo thats all the rage because its overpowered in this game? There's always some.

I need to know so I can wi.... errh, stay away from it! :p

So far my AR have all felt pretty useless, not sure, things just feel off.
SWAT-556 w/Select Fire.

Xux

Thanks. Looks like I'm going to carefully plan out those 55 tokens.

I don't find unlocking a fun mechanic. No Prestige for me.
Yeah, me neither; if you didn't keep your weapon level progress when you prestige I wouldn't bother this game.

Sojgat

I'm loving the MP more than I have since COD4. Matchmaking is actually working well in Australia, I haven't been put in a single laggy game yet, and the maps are great (I like Drone and Raid in particular). Nice work Treyarch.

Anyone else having an issue (360) loading up mp or zombie game modes?
I select one or the other and the game just loads w/out end.
Campaign works fine though.

Sojgat

Some people have been complaining about the overly vocal/abusive nature of many COD players online, and I'm with them for the most part. Some of the crap that falls out of people's mouths is disgusting, and I've never been able to fathom why they put on headsets just to abuse randoms. I have to say though, that when you're winning it all becomes music to the ears hearing these little babies whine and call you a fag. I'm not some sort of COD pro but last night I was on a hot streak winning round after round of free-for-all. This one kid was making angry remarks at me every time I killed him, he sounded so frustrated, like he was about to start crying. Fantastic stuff:)

aku:jiki

Some people have been complaining about the overly vocal/abusive nature of many COD players online, and I'm with them for the most part. Some of the crap that falls out of people's mouths is disgusting, and I've never been able to fathom why they put on headsets just to abuse randoms. I have to say though, that when you're winning it all becomes music to the ears hearing these little babies whine and call you a fag. I'm not some sort of COD pro but last night I was on a hot streak winning round after round of free-for-all. This one kid was making angry remarks at me every time I killed him, he sounded so frustrated, like he was about to start crying. Fantastic stuff:)
Haha, that part is amazing and part of why I'm so addicted to the series. The tears are delicious!

The one I just really, really don't understand are the kids that put the headset next to their speakers so they can blast distorted, barely hearable hiphop to the lobby. After years and years of CoD, I still haven't been able to figure out if they're being intentionally obnoxious or if they actually think the lobby will think they're badass for listening to rap music.

Linkhero1

The one I just really, really don't understand are the kids that put the headset next to their speakers so they can blast distorted, barely hearable hiphop to the lobby. After years and years of CoD, I still haven't been able to figure out if they're being intentionally obnoxious or if they actually think the lobby will think they're badass for listening to rap music.

Lmao, every time. Can't go three games without one kid doing this. It's pretty embarrassing and they usually gets made fun of by everyone else.

NinjaBoiX

I went to pick my copy up at a local supermarket, as it was half price when you bought MS points. There were no more on the shelf, so I asked a lady who worked there, if they still had copies.

"Yes" she says, staring blankly at me.

There are a few awkward seconds of silence as we stare at each other. I'm waiting for the penny to drop.

"Well, could I have one please?" I ask, confusion spread across my face.

"Yes" she replies, again, staring almost straight through me. I waste another 10 seconds with this moron, literally just looking at each other, before I slowly back away, wondering if she is maybe having an episode or something.

Anyway, I eventually got sorted by someone who can actually conduct a conversation with a human, and walked out satisfied.

However, when I was ringing it up on one of the self serve tills, a woman who clearly worked there, and would presumably know the promotions and such, was buying a copy for her son, but without the points. I found this strange, as it was like an extra £3 to get 2100 points with the game. Ah well, her loss I guess. Well, his loss.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Haha, that part is amazing and part of why I'm so addicted to the series. The tears are delicious!

I can't believe people still do this shit. I had someone doing this last week in Halo 4, it sounds so fucking bad it's hilarious.

Riposte

Is there strong lag compensation / handicap for having a good connection? Felt like I've been slower on killcams since plugging in the console directly.

Acinixys

Ive got to say, the CoD engine is starting to look and feel really outdated. Activision should man up and let IW or Treyarch create a new engine. Or at least license Frostbyte 2. I'd love some delicious world destruction in a CoD game

LOL, what? Modern Warfare 3's campaign was atrocious. The American Missions in MW2 were fucking incredible and hearing "So...when we going to Moscow"

*Never goes to Moscow*

Probably the most disappointed I've ever been with a campaign since Halo: Reach.

BO2 is A HUGE step up.

I agree MW3 is bad. That wasn't the real IW.

derwalde

Well, what do you think about it?

A 1 or 10? :lol

PS3: 10
360: 1

on a serious note: i really want to buy that game, but i suck at FPS. reading about people who play FPS for years and still getting smashed, i dont think im going to get any fun out of the MP. :/

rezuth

Ive got to say, the CoD engine is starting to look and feel really outdated. Activision should man up and let IW or Treyarch create a new engine. Or at least license Frostbyte 2. I'd love some delicious world destruction in a CoD game

Like the game isn't terrible enough with the point streaks. No thank you.

Is there strong lag compensation / handicap for having a good connection? Felt like I've been slower on killcams since plugging in the console directly.

it is really bad, unplayable bad. Losing every gunfight you'd know you win without that bullshit.

i'm not the one to brag but just to give you an idea. last 2 cod games i had 4.5 kd's now i'm struggling to keep a 1.5/2 . I mainly play tdm

Am interested in this game. It sounds quite good, and as a big big fan of COD4 I would jump back in when given the chance.

One question though; is the E3 demo bit where your asked if you can fly a plane, answer no then get told its dead easy and you'll be fine anyway - STILL in the game?

This honestly could sway me :D

Top Bottom