• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
PSA:

Turbine is the worst map in this game.

I will see your Turbine and raise you a "Yemen is the worst map in the game."

Too many places to have to keep a track of and sniper heaven.

So what are Wildcards? Deathstreaks or something?
They let you bypass the "rules" and do things like equip two Slot 1 perks.

Also, you might not eat to do the texture install on PS3 if what an earlier post said was correct and it causes freezing when trying to edit emblems and such.

rCIZZLE

Allows you to tweak your character further by giving another attachment to your gun or using multiple perks of the same group, among other things. You cant use too many of them though as classes have item limits with items being everything from perks to wildcards to nades to even primary guns and their attachments.

Kyoufu

They let you bypass the "rules" and do things like equip two Slot 1 perks.

Also, you might not eat to do the texture install on PS3 if what an earlier post said was correct and it causes freezing when trying to edit emblems and such.

Allows you to tweak your character further by giving another attachment to your gun or using multiple perks of the same group. You cant use too many of them though as classes have item limits with items being everything from perks to wildcards to nades to even primary guns and their attachments.

Oh I see. Thanks.

I noticed some freezing but it was temporary. Should I uninstall it?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

They're kind of like a different set of perks altogether. They cost a point and the basic Wildcards give you an extra Perk per tier. For example, the Wildcard "Perk 1 Greed" gives you an extra Perk slot in the first tier so you can run two at once. You can have up to three Wildcards. There are no Deathstreaks in Black Ops 2.

tatsuki

Playing Ps3 version in the UK. Servers not working for me. Not letting me join any games except League games?
Same thing happening to me in the US. It started around 4 hours ago for me. I figured I would take a break and go take a nap. I'm awake now and it's still giving me the error message for multiplayer.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
rather enjoying the game, especially because so many of my friends are playing online.

it sucks that all the non-douchey gamertag labels only unlock after you prestige, though.

Yeah, playing this has made me realize how much I take BF3 for granted. Between the shit maps, gameplay, and constant hard locks (2 this morning within an hour of each other,) I'm packing it in.

It's like Retard Rumpus Room.

Spawns are a joke but that could be fixed eventually. Maps on the other hand, not so much.

Maps might as well have been randomly generated they're so poorly designed, blatantly unoriginal, redundantly convoluted and incoherent. It's like Treyarch listened to all of the COD naysayers that think COD is just run-n-gun chicken with his head cut off and peek-a-boo simulator and intentionally made maps, guns and sound design (free nuketown and ninja perk with preorder) that pretty much redeems their opinion. Trey does realize that the crouch walk in the game for a reason right? It is the rock to the sound whore's scissors. It's already in the game.

Game design 101 for Treyarch: flanking is not possible without choke points. I need to be able to predict the enemy location or else it's not flanking, it's running around like an idiot.
I love how every single 90+ degree turn in these maps has a waist high trash can or a construction barrier or crate in the corner. Brilliant problem solving there, treyarch. So brilliant, you use it on every corner. Their are more ways to infiltrate a completely irrelevant 6 by 6 room in Blops2 than there were ways to infiltrate an entire map long building in Bloc or the three story building focal point in Crash.

And it's the larger maps that are the worst offenders. Entire portions are irrelevant and are there to serve as some illusion to the fact that your "big" map plays out exactly like the small ones.

This game's maps are so bad, they make MW3's maps seem downright brilliant by comparison. It takes integrity and confidence and creative problem solving to design a good map: to say "Let's not just add some buildings and then interconnect them in every way possible, because we're not sure if we can balance these maps and we're not sure if the chokepoints will work."

About as much intelligence is required to play this game as their was intelligence used to make it. And the game locked up on me twice.

Coldphire

Neo Member
My thoughts after 3.5 hours playing Multiplayer on 360:

- I got up to level 20, so leveling seems to be pretty fast in the first half of the levels. I'm sure it slows down in the second half. I was getting a new level every other game basically.

- The pick 10 system takes some getting used to especially since almost everything is locked in the beginning. I'd recommend backing out of the lobby everytime you get alot of unlocks and looking at your options slowly.

- I don't like the attachment system right now because all my weapons have basically nothing unlocked. After a few more nights I'll have a weapon that I can put anything on to fall back on when I want to get back in a groove, but right now it makes it hard because I can't set up the perfect class. I also make experimenting with a new gun hard. Am I sucking because the gun is just not good or do I have to wait til I unlock RDS or grip etc.

- I am really going to enjoy the unlock system including the attachments once I prestige once. This first prestige is tough because I'm still experimenting with everything.

Some suggestions for those having trouble:

- I know everyone tells you that you have to run around shooting from the hip in order to play COD and there are plenty of people that do well doing that, but I have much more success learning the maps and using position to take advantage of people running into your line of sight. Basically find the general area that the enemy is in (red dots obviously if UAV is up, but also the blank area where your team is not if no UAV) move to a spot behind cover looking that direction and wait a few seconds for someone to come. If they don't then check the mini map again for which way you need to face and move to a new spot. Once you kill someone wait 1 or 2 seconds to see if anyone else comes then move to a new spot near where you were. Anyone you killed will know where you are and any enemy nearby will have seen you on the map for a second. By moving you can sometimes catch the same person or someone trailing them off guard.

- Learn what type of gun works on which map and set up a class with each. If you love a shotgun that is great, but on a map with a majority of long sight lines you are only going to be effective in a small portion of it. Yemen is an example of a map with alot of long sight lines. I used an ACOG scope on it just by luck and really cleaned up, but if I came around a corner in close range I got cleaned easily. Once you know which guns are best on which maps it makes it alot easier to do well because you are set up for that layout.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Will someone spoil the big "controversial" moment from this CoD for those of us who aren't planning on picking this up?

Ensoul

That's what I'm doing now. I'm just playing it regardless of what others think of my K/D. What's worse is, in Battlefield, I can have a crappy K/D but once someone sees my SPM, they know I go after objectives, etc. Yes, I know Blops 2 has an SPM, too. But be honest, it's the K/D what most people look at.

My net is down now so can't play, but I did manage to hit level 21 in a day's worth of playing. That might be the most painful level 21 I've experienced in any MP FPS ever. :(

I'm using an AR and an SMG, one semtex, one electric grenade, have Extreme Conditioning, and the rest are up for grabs.

What loadouts work now? For gun attachments, I use Fast Reloading and the Quick Aim. Have not unlocked the suppressor for the AR just yet. Is the SWAT AR a good gun?

Also, I've seen a lot of people have two perks on each tier 2 and 3. Might this be the "godly" build? These guys were level 40+ already, too.

People do look at your K/D to see how good you are. Hell I do it as well. I just have to stop obessing about it lol. Yeah I am on level 15 and it is painful thus far. I am mostly using AR. I cannot seem to find a setup that works for me yet though. As a secondary I so use a launcher to knock down the UAV but of course the issue is many times I die before I can get a lock on it. But yeah overall I may have a game or two where I go 12-7 but many, many games I end up going like 4-11, 6-8 and so on. Very rare for me to finish with a + K/D.

But yeah this is probably the toughest COD yet online. Seems like many people are struggling to do well.

FStop7

Banned
I want something more slow and methodical? Is that possible in BLOPS?

Noooooooooooo. CoD multiplayer starts at "fast paced" and goes up to near Quake levels of frenetic.

Can you guys explain how this manifests in the game? I know what you mean by lag, and therefore I should be able to ascertain the meaning of lag comensation, but I'm struggling to visualise what you mean.

Dude runs around a corner, I see him and hip fire an SMG. I get two or three hit markers and then suddenly I'm just dead. When watching the killcam it appears I'm just standing there and never take a shot when the dude kills me. I seem to get fucked over sometimes because I have a very low latency connection and the lag compensation sides with the dudes with the slower connections.

Noooooooooooo. CoD multiplayer starts at "fast paced" and goes up to near Quake levels of frenetic.

But it always wasn't like this, was it? I seem to remember MW1 and WaW being a little slower paced. It seems like they ratcheted it up to Bay-levels of stupidity in MW2.

FStop7

Banned
But it always wasn't like this, was it? I seem to remember MW1 and WaW being a little slower paced. It seems like they ratcheted it up to Bay-levels of stupidity in MW2.

I think you're right. I'll put it this way: When Halo 3 and MW1 came out I don't recall having much of a problem going back and forth between them.

With Halo 4 and BLOPS 2 (as well as MW3) the difference in pace is very difficult for me to adjust to.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
am i the only one who cant play in a party all day long?

I get a black screen saying no servers everytime, all my friends have this too.

it works SOMETIMES when you play alone but thats no fun in my opinion.

Eideka

Banned
I've played the game with a friend and...Is it just me or TXAA looks really awesome in motion ? It gives a very cinematic feel.

Not that much in screenshots I allow.

smr00

Banned
Played my first online COD game since MW1 and man did i get my ass handed to me, it's to be expected since i am not the greatest console FPS gamer although i do dominate Halo. I gotta get used to this crazy high paced action.

I love, love, LOVE the 60fps but for now i am diving into the campaign.

Top Bottom