• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

eek5

When people says spawns are bad I wonder if all they play is shitty game modes like TDM.
If thats all you play you deserve it, its a mode that shouldn't exist in multiplayer shooters at all.

TDM has the most predictable spawns in the game. I can tell you where the enemy team is spawning at any point in the game just by eyeballing where my 5 other teammates are.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
I am not a Call of Duty guy. Never have been and odds are very good I never will be. I think tonight confirmed that. So I picked up Black Ops 2 because I really enjoyed Black Ops campaign and wanted to check out the sequel.

So far the campaign is pretty cool and looks pretty nice too. But I wanted to try my hand at MP. That was a very bad decision.

I have never been called a
'fag'
so many times in all my life. Holy crap guys! I've played Halo online for ages and have never faced that kind of junk talking before. I've heard things like, "aww man that's bullshit" and "fuck you man" but never heard the
'fag'
term thrown away so damn much. I also suck balls at CoD online, but that stuff is really uncalled for.
To be fair, I suck really bad. Halo 4, I can hold my own and do fairly well and it's tons of fun. CoD for me is very much from here on out a strictly campaign and zombies game. Wow. I knew about the jokes about CoD online but holy hell are they accurate. I felt actually bad trying to play online. Like this was some exclusive club and I was a terrible person that wore funny pants and needed to get the hell out there.

Campaign was fun though. :/

Dude, put everyone on mute and just play the game... yep there are a lot of morons... however I think it reflects pretty well our society...

All of these maps are too big and confusing. There is no simplistic geometry and design or straight forward routes to travel. It's as if every map was made to be a maze. There are just too many nooks and crannies to get lost in.

What happened to the amazing maps from the original Black Ops?

Stantron

Same as with MW3, I feel like I'm being punished for a good internet connection.
The lag is really sucking the fun out of multiplayer. I'm constantly a second behind others. :/

-TK-

Wtf am i reading, "the best Call of Duty since Modern Warfare?" "one of the best entrys in the series?"

Is that true GAF?

Yes, because it is. BO1 is still better, but BO2 is much better game than Mw2 or Mw3.

And yes - there there are some bad spawns, but they are usually caused by idiot run and gunners teammates. People really need to stop running like headless chickens and learn how to protect spawns. If everyone is just running alone in different parts of the map - somebody will spawns behind you sooner or later.

My impressions of multiplayer after playing about 8 hours:

+ Hit detection is good enough and superior when compared to Mw3
+ Map diversity is great.
+ Much less grenade and explosion spam
+ No more deathstreaks and support killstreaks - thank god!
+ Killstreak doesnt give you more killstreaks - yes!
+ Game plays very smoothly and is much more colorful than Mw3
+ Audio quality is improved alot.
+ League play

- 99% players so bad it isn't even funny
- Some bad spawns may happen
- Bo1 had much better in-game statistics than this one
- There are only few hardcore modes
- No footsteps (the biggest flaw in the game)

deano469

Neo Member
I would like to post my review of the game up on here, unfortunately i only got to play online for a whole 3 minutes last night on PS3 before the servers went down. Retried a few times over the space of 4 hours but didn't get back on either time and had my PS3 freeze and lock up 4 times, kinda reminds me of what happened when the first Black Ops was released. Fingers crossed its sorted and i get to have a game tonight, im gutted as i finished work early to get a good few hours in yesterday :-(

Riggs

Banned
Seriously what the fuck is up with the sound. With headphones I can barely, if ever, hear footsteps and if I'm at the edge of a map it sounds like there's a load of shit going down out of bounds instead of inside the map

Same, main reason I am not liking. Always has been like this for CoD even with my turtle beach X51s. Other games I hear foot steps fine. I would buy the TB Tango but I am not spending 300 dollars for a headset for a game I don't even like that much. They promise you can hear the foot steps though! lol

If I can't hear shit going on in an fps its pretty much over for me. BF3 , CSS, CS GO, I can hear what's going on and its a huge advantage. Getting shot in the back all night sucks, and these guys are not using dead silent ...

MechDX

Ok finally got to play and I like it but I have one HUGE issue:

I go inot a game, it plays fine, game ends.....then when the next game starts I get the map name in the left corner, the treyarch logo in the botom right and a green screen that just sits there. I have to reboot all the way back to the dashboard to play again. Anyone have this issue???

Xux

+ Much less grenade and explosion spam

+ Killstreak doesnt give you more killstreaks - yes!
Can't say I agree with these two; partially 'cause the second just isn't true in that you do get points from pointstreak kills just less than what you get with the stuff in your load out.

And there's plenty of explosive spam in HQ. Kinda torn between spending my first prestige token on Ghost, Flak Jacket, or Tactical Insertion 'cause none of them've really exploded yet.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying MP quite a bit. FAL, MK48, and 870 are all pretty neat guns.

maomaoIYP

Same, main reason I am not liking. Always has been like this for CoD even with my turtle beach X51s. Other games I hear foot steps fine. I would buy the TB Tango but I am not spending 300 dollars for a headset for a game I don't even like that much. They promise you can hear the foot steps though! lol

If I can't hear shit going on in an fps its pretty much over for me. BF3 , CSS, CS GO, I can hear what's going on and its a huge advantage. Getting shot in the back all night sucks, and these guys are not using dead silent ...

LOL. I've haven't heard any footsteps since BO1. Treyarch completely messes it up again. Since you can never hear footsteps, it's simply a race to a UAV while keeping your eyes firmly locked on the minimap. I don't know why I keep getting suckered into buying a Treyarch game.

Mind

Neo Member
Wow... what a complains :). How could you say this game is bad for Assault Rifles. I've playing the game since friday and almost in first prestige but I can't agree at all. Some levels are indeed like a mace but there is always a main route you can take. Anybody that complains that Assaults are bad in this game need to play differently. You don't hit and run with a Assault! Take your time going from cover to cover. If you don't like this style... don't play with Assault. It's really easy. Pick a SMG if you like to run like crazy or rush to your goal.

I play with the SMR Assault Rifle. It's single shot weapon. It's completed with target finder and silencer. You really don't need a grip when you use a target finder. Most of the time I end of top of the list when the game is over and I play all levels.

Rush with SMG and shotgun
Take the main route and be cautions with Assault and LMG
And camp with Sniper - YES camp! You don't run around like crazy with a sniper

Well I have had played the game for a few hours. I like the pick 10 and the maps are decent. In the other COD games I could finish positive in most game. Not in this game. I simply cannot stay alive. I am getting shot in the back all the time, I lose gunfights most of the time. Whenever I kill someone 80% of the time I die a second later because their teammate avenges them. I am not sure how I like the game. Right now it is just pure frustration going negative every game and getting killed every 15 seconds. This is the first COD where I don't think I am going to get better at it.

I'm right there with you Buddy. Nothing but bad luck for me all night. Bad first impression.

Rainy Dog

And once again the PS3 version looks horrible on default settings.

Seems like I state this in every COD thread and no one notices, but I'll write it again for those that are lucky enough to take any notice ;)

Make sure your PS3 is set to RGB limited and turn the in game brightness down! About 5 notches from the bottom is about correct. Increases contrast and colours to where they should be and corrects the gamma. Image is terribly muddy and washed out on the games default brightness setting.

I also think the IQ looks quite a bit better if you force it to 720p. Still looks slightly softer than the MW games, but definitely cleaner and somewhat of an improvement from letting the PS3 upscale it to 1080p.

I've only tried all the MP maps with bots so far, but it certainly runs consistently smoother than Blops 1 which is good. Initial impressions of the maps and general feel of the game aren't too positive if I'm honest, but I'm trying not to let my old(er) age pessimism cloud my immediate judgement and give the game a fair crack of a whip first :)

Jack_AG

Banned
Does anyone have a clue how to access Nuketown? Is it the map on the bottom of the Zombie map menu? I have no way of selecting it. Downloaded it, installed it, can't find it. My other buds are having the same issue.

Is it a bug or are we just clueless? PS3 version, btw.

Fistwell

Does anyone have a clue how to access Nuketown? Is it the map on the bottom of the Zombie map menu? I have no way of selecting it. Downloaded it, installed it, can't find it. My other buds are having the same issue.

How do you mean access? There's a playlist that's all nuketown all the time in core (last option at the bottom). PC here, but that shouldn't matter.

Victrix

*beard*
I'm doing terrible. No load out is working/clicking with me :(

Try the SWAT, M27, or LSAT with a Target Finder and hang back behind cover camping out

If you want to play aggressively, take whichever SMG you like, put a Laser Sight on it and hipfire relentlessly. Get a Silencer on when you can. Bring a Launcher secondary and immediately take down enemy UAVs (if you are in a safe place to do so) or back off (if not)

If you like the shotguns, be sure to ADS with them, and work towards the Quickdraw attachment, it helps considerably

Stick near the objectives to score those sweet bonus points

If you want to play with some midline scorestreaks but you're having trouble maintaining your streak, take Care Package and run Engineer, reroll them for better results

What part of MUTE does Treyarch not understand? Why is this so hard? When I want to MUTE the whole lobby-mute the whole lobby!!

And yes, Sticks and Stones is great.

Rainy Dog

So not sure how to describe this but I am having a big problem on the 360 with what seems like BF3 PS3 type controller lag. I feel you can not zero in like before. I have tried multiple controllers and all sorts of settings. Am I the only one feeling this? I feel like I am fighting the controls as if I am covered in syrup or something like that.

Maybe its just me but something feels off

One of the blokes on the Denkirson boards has found that they've fudged the deadzone somehow, so that could be what you're noticing?

Link.

Didn't notice it myself on the PS3 but I am struggling to settle on a sensitivity since they've changed the scale. I always played on 3 but can't seem to find one that matches that like for like with both turn and ADS speed...

Xux

It should be the atomic symbol on the first world map you get from choosing to play. It's alone on a separate area map.

Animator

Game is amazing. Hands down my fav cod game since cod 4. I am pleasantly surprised how good it looks and runs on the pc too. Hardpoint is amazing fun.

Linkhero1

Try the SWAT, M27, or LSAT with a Target Finder and hang back behind cover camping out

If you want to play aggressively, take whichever SMG you like, put a Laser Sight on it and hipfire relentlessly. Get a Silencer on when you can. Bring a Launcher secondary and immediately take down enemy UAVs (if you are in a safe place to do so) or back off (if not)

If you like the shotguns, be sure to ADS with them, and work towards the Quickdraw attachment, it helps considerably

Stick near the objectives to score those sweet bonus points

If you want to play with some midline scorestreaks but you're having trouble maintaining your streak, take Care Package and run Engineer, reroll them for better results

Thank you for the tips. I will try these out.

My main issue aside from network connections has been enemies spawning behind me, so hopefully that's patched soon.

demolitio

Liking it A LOT more than MW3 so far. Time to jump in the SP and see how it is. I liked Black Ops a lot more than any of the MW campaigns simply because it knew what it was going for instead of feeling like just a bunch of big Hollywood moments strung together by a basic story that only served to give them a reason to have a level in certain environments or parts of the world to give you variety. Black Ops had plenty of traveling, but it didn't feel as forced.

The only thing I'm annoyed at with BO2 right now is the weapons list for being so inconsistent.

Just got my first glitch in MP.

I was moving a planted Guardian around. When I re-planted it again...poof, no gun. Which kind of pissed me off because I was very close to scorestreak #3.

I'm making a video of it.

Great, great, great game. Not getting shit in the back because I'm actually paying attention.

Is anyone else's gamestop code for the calli g card not working?

Linkhero1

Great, great, great game. Not getting shit in the back because I'm actually paying attention.

Someone spawning and killing you a few seconds after they spawn has nothing to do with people not paying attention. It's something that needs to be fixed because it's annoying.

Hijacked is on of the worst fucking maps I've ever played. It sucks as the design is fine, but due to how freaking small the map is, you will constantly and I mean constantly either run into someone spawning or have someone spawn behind you. Terrible map.

eek5

The guardian is really good right now. People just don't know how to destroy it yet. I think it's the best pointstreak for multi-team, by far. If your team manages to get two or three you can completely lock down areas. People sometimes just avoid that area completely. The hit markers give you a really good heads up if you want to cover your flanks as well. It's like a claymore that keeps giving!

Riggs

Banned

lol ....

Maps are so insanely small, cannot hear foot steps, playing this game is like being on meth or crack in real life. You ever see a crack head how they are always looking around every single second thinking someone is out to get them? Kind of like this game ....

Paying attention is one thing, having a game where the maps are so small that you literally have someone coming from behind or to the side every single 7 seconds (time it ... it's about every 7 seconds I find) just gets comical. To each their own though.

Again I had some very good streaks but it had nothing to do with my skills, it was simply realizing that I am going to be bombarded by other players running around like chickens with their heads cut off and I just adapted. That is not my idea of fun. There is really no room for strategy in a game that has maps this small, it's a cluster fuck. I really wish it wasn't, but it is.

Not really even upset I knew what I was getting into, I am still baffled that I bought this game knowing what I knew. 100% my fault I don't blame the dev.

For what its worth I don't hate the game, the campaign had some funny ass moments in it. I'll just trade it in tomorrow for something, still haven't played AC3.

Victrix

*beard*
Thank you for the tips. I will try these out.

My main issue aside from network connections has been enemies spawning behind me, so hopefully that's patched soon.

Spawning is heavily mode dependant - stay the hell away from Hardpoint, it has the worst spawns by a mile.

Other than that, spawns are controlled largely by proximity. What this means practically is that if you're playing with a team of randoms, you can expect the enemy spawn to get pushed by gung ho rushers constantly, which will cause them to spawn elsewhere. Keep an eye on your teammates positions, if you are off on your own and someone on your team pushes into their spawn, you're likely going to have enemies spawning nearby.

The spawning also isn't as twitchy as MW3 was, so it will spawn enemies very close to you if you're the only person up in the current enemy spawn area.

If you can't play with a group, at least make an effort to stay relatively near the bulk of your teammates, this both gives you distractions and largely prevents spawns nearby, as the spawning system (in most modes) prefers to spawn players away from danger - its when your team of randoms is all over the damn map that it becomes really unpredictable.

Gonna try some of the gun/gear suggestions in here and see if I can find something I like, just struggling to get anything feeling 'right' atm.

I loved BOs1 soooo much it was always gonna be difficult to live up to my expectations of a sequel - at the moment I'm enjoying it but I still haven't learned the game enough to form a proper opinion of it all. Once I'm happy with some guns and understand the maps better (if you even can with this game? MW3 was a shitfest in that sense) we'll see.

Atm one frustraiting thing is playing with moron teams that don't care at all about the objective in objective based games. I like winning. :( But I've been playing online games enough to know its not often a reality on random public servers.

Must be nice to play on a 'proper' team, like if you have a bunch of guys who all want the win.

Linkhero1

Spawning is heavily mode dependant - stay the hell away from Hardpoint, it has the worst spawns by a mile.

Other than that, spawns are controlled largely by proximity. What this means practically is that if you're playing with a team of randoms, you can expect the enemy spawn to get pushed by gung ho rushers constantly, which will cause them to spawn elsewhere. Keep an eye on your teammates positions, if you are off on your own and someone on your team pushes into their spawn, you're likely going to have enemies spawning nearby.

The spawning also isn't as twitchy as MW3 was, so it will spawn enemies very close to you if you're the only person up in the current enemy spawn area.

If you can't play with a group, at least make an effort to stay relatively near the bulk of your teammates, this both gives you distractions and largely prevents spawns nearby, as the spawning system (in most modes) prefers to spawn players away from danger - its when your team of randoms is all over the damn map that it becomes really unpredictable.

Will keep that in mind. I was wondering what sensitivity you were playing with? I currently have mine set to 10.

The difference a silencer makes to your kd is ridiculous.

haven't been running with a silencer at all and I've been doing pretty well, I figure if a uav is gonna be up constantly it defeats the purpose of a silencer.

this man just gave good advice, listen to him

Victrix

*beard*
Will keep that in mind. I was wondering what sensitivity you were playing with? I currently have mine set to 10.

Whatever default was (4?). I upped it to 5 tonight because it felt sluggish yesterday, now it feels too twitchy at range. I can't find a comfortable setting yet. Some research on another forum suggests they tweaked the dead zone which is bad juju for me, because I'm really used to the way it was set before and I'm using a new controller.

10+ is hyperfast territory, that's all close range smg/shotgun, no way I could use that sens and kill anyone at a distance reliably, but if you can, more power to you!

The thing I don't like about this game, and it seems like its been an evolving problem with the series, is that there's no sense of range. 90% of the fights happen at close range. I don't think that was the case with MW1.

Top Bottom