• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III |OT| No Content For Old Gen

Kalentan

Playing The Giant... Jesus I forgot how much I loved this map. Time to play it again, perfecting my strats.

When PSN was down after the hack, Der Riese was my most played map in Black Ops original.

Considering it's been a while, I'm surprised how much of the map I remember.

Xeilyn

Any early players here that have also played Halo 5 I have a few questions.

Is the aiming good vs. Halo?

Are the maps fun and varied?

Is there microtransactions to get weapon/perk advantages or can you do it without spending money?

Not trying to start a war, just want some honest opinions, I am honestly disappointed with Halo 5's MP offerings and to me Halo is feeling clunky as hell and I've made it to rank 31+ already so lots of time and effort sunk into giving it a fair chance =/
- Yes the aiming is great and i really dont like the way the aiming feels in Halo 5
- Great maps, a couple of them are a bit meh but overall the best maps since BO2
- No microtransactions. You can buy supply drops with ingame currency to get camos, taunts and such

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You accidentally answered most of questions about the game, thank you for that! Have you by any chance played Halo 5? I'd like your brutally honest opinion on it if you have, no sarcasm.

Thanks =)

Nah, no Xbox. Playing on PC.

I should add that I feel kinda detached from the series after all these years of annual releases and changes and whatever to the point where I'm not sure I can appropriate judge the game for someone who still has some investment in the series. It's kinda evolved into this intimidating, illusive hodgepodge of ideas that seem almost alien to me, like it's a fad outside of my generation (which makes no sense because CoD totally originated in my generation).

But yeah. Of my admittedly insanely brief play of both the campaign and multi, which shouldn't be used as a metric to critically judge the game, I can tell this definitely isn't for me. And this after both Ghosts and AW, neither of which I could finish the campaign let alone get into the multiple, it's safe to say I'm well and truly out.

RanoNL

Tmartn and his "first supply drop opening".

http://youtu.be/Fly_FT8mcxc

Man. I really hate this greedy cards/packs/drops/stickers DLC.

"But you can earn them by playing..."

Ranking 15 levels = 10 coins. Common drop = 10 coins. Rare drop = 30 coins.

aravuus

I don't think you can buy them with real money, though

And as long as it's just cosmetic stuff, I really don't care

im_dany

The new movement system is decent, but coming from Titanfall and Halo 5 I'm probably spoiled since it's inch perfect there.
I played 4/5 maps and only one of them (Breach) looked like it was designed for the new movement system.
I'm not used to COD anymore so it took me some time to settle there but it looks like everyone else chose the same gun as myself (the first AR).
I'm not completely happy but not even disappointed, I'll take my time with the mp before judging it.

Back to zombies: I started a game with randoms on Der Riese. The map is beautiful, it's still the same but you can see how it's now a 2015 map and not a 2008 one. Found Ray-Gun, Wonderwaffe and Monkeys in my first 4 box tries, then the game ended for no reason lol.

oSoLucky

Like most modern FPSes, the spawning system could use some work. I spawned in literally the exact same spot 4 times in a row, and of course the 3 enemies there weren't going to move. I'm averaging 2 to 3 spawn deaths per game atm. The maps aren't THAT small. Having a lot of fun otherwise though, and most of the maps seem really fair once you learn them.

Alienous

I appreciate how shady the cryptokey/future microtransactions dude looks. He looks like he's trying to rob you, which is at least honest.

Kalentan

Huh, they made a tiny change in Zombies that I may or may not like...

In Solo play you need to turn on the power now to get the revive perk. I'll have to get used to that.

Cause honestly, I rarely play matchmaking, either play solo or with friends.

TheRed

Campaign is decent so far, but multiplayer is a blast. I played 5 or 6 matches and enjoyed all of them, even on Nuketown which I usually hate.
Interesting thing is I started by playing campaign with my steam controller since it's all I want to use nowadays. Once I got it configured well enough I was having a lot of fun and I'm playing on veteran. I decided to try it out in multiplayer and wow besides the first match where I was still getting comfortable and got destroyed, I was top score or close to it in everym match after. I really don't think I'm ever gonna switch to keyboard and mouse now :D
I just love how it plays with the steam controller, the grips are perfect for slide and jump so I can really control my fast movements while still aiming. Also I'm not really sure but I felt like the gyro really helps me fight against flinch when I'm getting shot and I win most of those fights.

zsynqx

The aquarium map is really getting on my nerves. The side with the water really needs a path to let you into the B flag as it is otherwise separated from the rest of the map.

Huh, they made a tiny change in Zombies that I may or may not like...

In Solo play you need to turn on the power now to get the revive perk. I'll have to get used to that.

Cause honestly, I rarely play matchmaking, either play solo or with friends.

Other subtle changes are the zombies take less damage early on which really threw me. Used to be like 6 pistols and a knife for max point efficiency but now they go down in like 3. In the hour or so I played of it, which were 3 attempts, I never found the Pack a Punch :(

PepperedHam

I'm level 6 and I just bought a common drop with 10 coins. Did I do something special to get em because I definitely didn't rank to 15.

Awareness is too good with headphones

I immediately put Awareness on in the beta and was like
fduuujR.gif

CoD footsteps have been too quiet for too long

Cross posting from the Last Gen vs. Current Gen thread

Whoever said that the Last-Gen version would have an 8GB patch was full o' shit.

The game on last gen (PS3 at least) is 4GB with a 2GB patch.

That's it.

Oh yeah,
Visuals are eh, performance is more 20/30fps than 50/60fps, and emblem editor, Gunsmith, Paintshop, Campaign, Dead Ops Arcade 2, Veteran Camo, Gore effects outside of Zombies and Supply Drops are missing... It's stil a blast though, but maybe a $20 blast.

- Yes the aiming is great and i really dont like the way the aiming feels in Halo 5
- Great maps, a couple of them are a bit meh but overall the best maps since BO2
- No microtransactions. You can buy supply drops with ingame currency to get camos, taunts and such

Nah, no Xbox. Playing on PC.

I should add that I feel kinda detached from the series after all these years of annual releases and changes and whatever to the point where I'm not sure I can appropriate judge the game for someone who still has some investment in the series. It's kinda evolved into this intimidating, illusive hodgepodge of ideas that seem almost alien to me, like it's a fad outside of my generation (which makes no sense because CoD totally originated in my generation).

But yeah. Of my admittedly insanely brief play of both the campaign and multi, which shouldn't be used as a metric to critically judge the game, I can tell this definitely isn't for me. And this after both Ghosts and AW, neither of which I could finish the campaign let alone get into the multiple, it's safe to say I'm well and truly out.

Thank you both for the replies. I really appreciate it =)

Phionoxx

Having a lot of fun so far. Started in offline mode (unknowingly) so my Campaign progress isn't reflected online which is a bit of a bummer. You have separate profiles for playing local vs. playing online - but I guess I can use the online profile to try and knock out a realistic run. Campaign on Hardened isn't too bad yet through Mission 4.

Only got up to level 2 on MP but so far seeing nothing but maxed out green bar connections which is great!

Xeilyn

Man the gorgon is so much fun, reminds me of the FAL with rapid fire from BO2

BTW, any PS4 gaf community i can join?

Kalentan

Other subtle changes are the zombies take less damage early on which really threw me. Used to be like 6 pistols and a knife for max point efficiency but now they go down in like 3. In the hour or so I played of it, which were 3 attempts, I never found the Pack a Punch :(

Do you know where the generator is on Shadows of Evil? Looked around for quite a bit and opened a decent number of doors and never found. Well I may have, if I didn't activate a trap, step forward and kill myself by accident.

jmelons

What modes of MP did you play? There are a plethora. You might find one that fits

Victrix

*beard*
Cannot believe I'm still getting bullshit 'can't join lobby' on friends and vice versa in 2015 on call of duty 9000.

zsynqx

Do you know where the generator is on Shadows of Evil? Looked around for quite a bit and opened a decent number of doors and never found. Well I may have, if I didn't activate a trap, step forward and kill myself by accident.

Not one generator for the power. When you transform into beast you power up generators using the electric attack which are near perk machines and certain doors. Then you can use perk/unlock those pasages.

Kalentan

Not one generator for the power. When you transform into beast you power up generators using the electric attack which are near perk machines and certain doors. Then you can use perk/unlock those pasages.

Aaaah. Okay and how about those plant things I've seen? I tried attacking it in the beast form but it did nothing. A sort of activation bar did appear for me once but I stopped it by accident and couldn't figure out how to make it appear again.

>:)

Anyone having issues with Zombies? 99% of the games i try to join look like this
qaFoBXg.jpg

And then I get disconnected

zsynqx

Aaaah. Okay and how about those plant things I've seen? I tried attacking it in the beast form but it did nothing. A sort of activation bar did appear for me once but I stopped it by accident and couldn't figure out how to make it appear again.

Yer I am still scratching my head about what they do. I accidentally opened one by pressing square but not sure why it let me and one of the fly things popped out. Also got to a bit where there was a portal and some random new perk called widows wine.

knitoe

The game is pretty good. The first Treyarch CoD game I will continue playing. Their other ones have always turned me off with shitty hit detection and lag during launch. So far, my only complaint is why are they still using the same weak ass bullet hit sound.

It'll take some time to get used to this movement system after reaching Prestige 14 in AW. But I can instantly tell I will play this game for years.

aravuus

Have to keep graphics settings at ~medium to get stable 60fps on a GTX970 lmao

Also 0% players on ground wars :( Put it in the core menu goddamn it, maybe it'll get some players then

Top Bottom