• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III |OT| No Content For Old Gen

When I look at the Lobby Leaderboards I'm always seeing myself being in the top 3 SPM-wise. I have around 400 SPM, my KD isn't great, about 1.2.

The lobby will typically be me and a couple of others around 370-400 with most around 250-280 and then it goes as low as 180 with all the others, if anything it seems that KD is where it is putting most of it's emphasis as they're normally in a much closer range.

tigerin

Guide? You mean, how do you switch to it?

Just go into controller settings, and switch button layout to Bumper Jumper, it switches your jump and tactical buttons. There's also Bumper Jumper Tactical, which does that, and also switches crouch to your right stick, and melee to B(or square on PS4).

Yea, i want to know if there are tips to be good at it. I see players running on walls and thrusting while stacking up kills(guys like driftor from youtube) . I want to adopt that style.

It really doesn't.

Because the pool of players is so much smaller the higher your k/d or spm, you'll continue getting matched with people who have average k/d or spm.

Sure, you probably won't be getting matched with people at .5 and lower, but how often does that happen anyway?

It's mostly a placebo effect.

then please explain why i only find 1/2 lobbies with 3 people in it with +2.5kd 400spm and before i got matchmaking with 50 games found and had people from all skill levels, including a couple of 0.5's

ShinMaruku

Anybody for some games later/ I am learning my new combination of a SMG and Sniper Rifle, it's very rewarding to take people out with them :)

Hikami

I would've never noticed the SBMM thing unless someone told me. My SPM is really low since I've just been going for the Dark Matter and Hero camos.

That would explain why I keep getting matched with really low non-prestige leveled people. I thought a bunch of people just bought the game recently or something, though that probably adds to it as well.

eek5

pA4mPc2.png
yEcNrD5.png

I went from above average to completely shit-tier. Some of these lobbies are crazy.

It really doesn't.

Because the pool of players is so much smaller the higher your k/d or spm, you'll continue getting matched with people who have average k/d or spm.

Sure, you probably won't be getting matched with people at .5 and lower, but how often does that happen anyway?

It's mostly a placebo effect.

I don't believe this. I'm not finding any lobbies with mixed players. It's all high k/d dudes in TDM for me. If I'm not getting dropped into a match it's a partially filled lobby full of mid-high k/d dudes.

I can't stand SBMM. I play with a group that is HUGELY diverse in skill level. The lower tier players in the group are getting decimated because of the higher tier players' skill level.

Edit: Also I can't use ANY of the lower TTK guns. It's all M8 and Vesper now.

yEcNrD5.png

I went from above average to completely shit-tier. Some of these lobbies are crazy.

I don't believe this. I'm not finding any lobbies with mixed players. It's all high k/d dudes in TDM for me. If I'm not getting dropped into a match it's a partially filled lobby full of mid-high k/d dudes.

You should check the three videos I just posted moments ago. In one of them (the one in which we made a miraculous comeback and some dude on our team went around 60-20), the person who was #1 on our team and at the top of the score per minute list had 603 SPM. It's totally bonkers.

eek5

I can't stand SBMM. I play with a group that is HUGELY diverse in skill level. The lower tier players in the group are getting decimated because of the higher tier players' skill level.

Edit: Also I can't use ANY of the lower TTK guns. It's all M8 and Vesper now.

Yeah if you aren't using the top tier weapons now you're pretty boned. I played against a dude with a vesper last night and he was was INSANE. Couldn't kill him until I switched to vesper as well. (I mean I was seeing him first, head glitching etc. and he'd always win until I switched)

My main problem with SBMM is you never really get better. If you improve at this game you just get matched with better players so you always feel like complete shit. I'd consider myself average-above average but I'm getting dropped into lobbies with 2.0 k/d 300+ spm dudes in TDM and I can't get anything going, at all, unless I just play super conservative head glitching and "zone patrolling" (camping) the entire game.. which isn't fun at all :(

Jblanks

First lobby I go into, theres a max prestige guy level 60, and about 6 non-prestigers..let's see how it goes.

Won the first round 100-52, both max prestige and 7th prestige on their team left.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, i want to know if there are tips to be good at it. I see players running on walls and thrusting while stacking up kills(guys like driftor from youtube) . I want to adopt that style.

Most of those guys use scuf controllers, which have extra triggers added to the back of them that act as the face buttons.

I know one of the pro guys from Optic, Scumperjumper, uses the claw technique, where he has fingers on triggers, shoulder buttons, and at least one finger on the face buttons at all times, I couldn't imagine playing like that ever. You can see it here: https://youtu.be/3JtYLt4Kwo0

jorgejjvr

First lobby I go into, theres a max prestige guy level 60, and about 6 non-prestigers..let's see how it goes.

Won the first round 100-52, both max prestige and 7th prestige on their team left.
Will be joining in about 15 minutes

Maybe we can get a gaf room going

Will be my first experience with sbmm

Jblanks

Will be joining in about 15 minutes

Maybe we can get a gaf room going

Will be my first experience with sbmm

Alright.

Nothing too noticeable yet.

I'm sniping so I'm not near the top.

Also High Caliber should be taken out. It's a 1 shot headshot with the Sheiva, and Melts with the M8; add it with viewkick, and its pretty OP, and cheap.

eek5

That's a problem too. My team had good dudes but they all bailed the second we started off down 3 in tdm. One of the biggest problems with lobbies filled with try hards

fozzy

Yeah goodbye win loss ratio. If 1 person on your team leaves it can make all the difference. The game never fills the fucking space either.

Getting destroyed over and over trying to go for B dom on my own. Guessing the high spm stats on my team meant kill whores.

Guess if I carry on playing dom I'll start ignoring B as well :/

jorgejjvr

Definitely needed some time to adjust, and realize people now know what they are doing lol

Still mmanaged to get raps by the end there, last minute and wraight

someday

Banned
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QVoZgWqnBiw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N7IcHa_y5y0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TArrKRH4uXU

Three examples of how bad high level SBMM matches can be. I've noticed two things:

1. Whoever catches B first generally wins. It is difficult to recapture or to even back a comeback.

2. People quit A LOT in high level SBMM matches.
I only watched a bit of the first video but I laughed since that is most of my CoD games in a nutshell. I have a really poor k/d (.55 or so) and go for the win over my personal stats. I primarily play objective modes like Dom, Safeguard, and Hardpoint. I guess it will be interesting to see what this new matchmaking does for players like me.

eek5

Everything is mostly the same for me in solo TDM although I play a pretty campy style to begin with and now I'm only using the M8 instead of all ARs lol

ShinMaruku

I know I'm in a good team set up when every match I get "Wrecked"
Last match was amusing because of the rolly polies allowing me to set up my annhilator shots. Best thing is to stop a special ablitiy with a special. LAWD!

Drift0r did a video about this in AW and found that sbmm had little difference in connection quality.

I would definitely not consider what Driftor said as fact without a good secondary source. He has gotten multiple things wrong in his videos without making attempts to fix them.

I also would get laggy games and sit around looking for open lobbies more with a 2.0+ KDR. On another account I made, I made my KDR above 3.0 to see what happens and a wait for a lobby takes minutes.

As someone with a 2.30 K/D, 3.50 W/L, and 526 SPM, I can say that I'm arguably experiencing the SBMM the hardest. Honestly, for me it's not that I'm salty about not being able to go against noobs or anything, it's just that at my level (especially as a primarily solo player), every single game is an absolute competitive nightmare. The most I've been able to do recently is go even because it's like I'm going against six other versions of myself with as much knowledge as I have. That by itself is not bad, I like competition, but when EVERY SINGLE GAME is like that, it becomes frustrating and exhausting because I always have to give 110% while never getting any breathers. It's just awful for me.

And this is one of the biggest problems with SBMM. You almost have no room to play outside of your comfort zone or just at a more casual pace. You're always having to tryhard just to win a game and people will sit here trying to play high horse and ask themselves how this is a big deal when there is a whole playlist designed for competitive play. That, and its not normally just six random players who are at your skill level, it is usually coordinated parties who are most likely going to run the best weapons in the game and have plenty of scorestreaks up to keep you down.

I don't really care if I have to sometimes play backpack and carry the team against a few parties, but in a franchise that has been catering to a more casual audience for half a decade and there is no bans on the more controversial items in regular pubs, the flaws in the game will be easily exposed from map design, to weapon balance, to game mode rules. There is more to it than a handful of people just wanting to play against only meat shields.

Jblanks

Lol everyone just runs around with VMP, Vesper, or M8.

Might take a break for a bit, this is dumb.

Loved how they have a free MP weekend for PC, and then they add this shit.

Catvoca

Banned
I usually like to play pretty casually, listening to music or a podcast, but I still manage to pull a little under a 2 k/d in TDM so this matchmaking update is a nightmare. Constantly feel like I have to play with sound and one of the 3 or 4 best guns in the game or I'm just being destroyed. My connection definitely isn't as strong either. Think I'll finish this rank up to 55 and take a break. I'm glad I didn't buy the season pass, because if it stays this way I probably won't play much more. I just want to chill and have fun playing COD, I'd play counterstrike if I wanted to be competitive, or maybe even play the arena gamemode in COD which is meant for competitive players.

To be as hyperbolic as possible,
Blops 3 is now laggy combine 24/7 with everyone using VMP's and the M8a7.

Top Bottom