• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III |OT| No Content For Old Gen

Today, I got microsoft to issue a refund for my pre order digital download of black ops 3.

I tried installing it 5 times and it was stuck at 98% every single time. Super annoying.

I picked up a retail copy at best buy for free (thx reward points) and the same thing happened. 98%.

I've tried everything. This one last time I'm installing it without downloading the patch first. If this doesn't work, well ... smd call of duty youre dead to me.

Ive been trying to get this to work since thursday. Im about to drown my xbox one.

Yoday

I just finished the campaign, and that was incredibly disappointing. Bad mission design, needlessly convoluted story, terrible characters, awful dialog, and some of the worst voice acting I have heard in a long time. I would say this is probably the worst campaign in the series history. I finished the game and all I could think about was how disappointing it was compared to the fantastic campaign in AW. Just bland, and frankly ugly compared to AW most of the time too.

having an issue with campaign tonight on xbox one.

when I go to join a public match, i click on the play current mission, or select a mission, it loads me back out to the join campaign menu again. I can't go back to main menu, nor can I resume my campaign solo. I've gone to dashboard and quit the game as well as hard booted my console and still same issue. Played the first few missions last night in co-op no problem.

Anyone else having that issue?

Zomba13

Since when is Shotgun a profane word? Why can't I call my custom class Shotgun? In a game with shotguns, with a category called shotgun. Why can't I call my class shotgun, which only I will see?

Edit:Ok, apparently hotgun is profane but not otgun. Also Ass is a no no word but Assault is ok. Double standards :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Since when is Shotgun a profane word? Why can't I call my custom class Shotgun? In a game with shotguns, with a category called shotgun. Why can't I call my class shotgun, which only I will see?

Ok, apparently hotgun is profane but not otgun.
Is it just blocking ho?

I think you are right about the range being lowered to try and balance it. Though if they just nerf it to the point of it having no use then that would also be pretty bad.

I haven't actually been killed by that many people using it, kuda seems to be more popular but that might change. I find the more cautious/support gorgon set up a fun class to mix up my usual run & gun style with.

I really do think this gun is going to be killed off with a nerf. The only good thing going for it is the 2 shot kill range. Everything else about it - RoF, ADS time, mobility, etc are all just terrible. So once it loses that one niche, it'll be useless.

TBH I actually quite like the Gorgon for the same reason because it requires you to play very passively. This isn't my usual playstyle since I like to run and gun, but it's nice sometimes positioning yourself on a choke point and mowing people down. Personally I think it's great that a LMG can compete with SMGs and ARs, but with all the complaining I see about this gun, it's almost definitely going to get nerfed and I don't think it'll survive that nerf.

Zomba13

"Hotty" is also a banned word. So I can't have classes called "Shotgun" and "Auto Shotty".

EDIT: Looks like it's blocking "ho" but only in 3 characters or more. So You can use the word "Ho" by itself (which I assume they don't want) but you can't use it as part of another word like "Show" or "Shotgun" or "Chowder".

I don't think it needs to be changed, if you use it and miss your first shot,the rate of fire means you die vs anything else in a gun fight.

Even if both people fire at the same time its probably a coin flip due to its horrible fire rate.

Its just that when you die to one, it feels like it killed you faster than it did. I actually prefer the Dingo, its like a SLMG.

I actually really like the Dingo as well. It's a beautiful thing and very consistent with its 4 shot kills and a really good fire rate.

As for Gorgon, I think it shines at those longer ranges where it still gets 2 shot kills. But again that's the only good thing going for it. At close range even with its ability to 2 shot you're going to lose most gunfights due to the terrible RoF. So if they take away the longer range 2 shot kills this gun will be pointless, kind of like the Ameli from Ghosts which also killed with 2 shots but at a very close range. But no one used it.

So yeah I really don't think it needs to be changed either even though I personally use more aggressive guns myself. This weapon is very clunky and the only bad thing I can say about it is that it promotes a very passive/campy play style.

sdornan

I just finished the campaign, and that was incredibly disappointing. Bad mission design, needlessly convoluted story, terrible characters, awful dialog, and some of the worst voice acting I have heard in a long time. I would say this is probably the worst campaign in the series history. I finished the game and all I could think about was how disappointing it was compared to the fantastic campaign in AW. Just bland, and frankly ugly compared to AW most of the time too.

Completely agree.

Edit:Ok, apparently hotgun is profane but not otgun. Also Ass is a no no word but Assault is ok. Double standards :(

I named a variant Show Stopper and it said it was profane.

Also, I'm hoping that Pharo is like the Goliath. Anyone use it yet?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The fact that you fight that damn spider robot something like 10 times (which is not an interesting fight to begin with...oh hey shoot this now fire your rocket launcher that youll only find when you fight this thing, ok do that again three times) shows how creatively bankrupt the gameplay is in the campaign.

Man. Man! What a terrible, terrible effort all around.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I feel that I played a different Advanced Warfare than everyone else. That campaign was so incredibly boring.

Yoday

The fact that you fight that damn spider robot something like 10 times (which is not an interesting fight to begin with...oh hey shoot this now fire your rocket launcher that youll only find when you fight this thing, ok do that again three times) shows how creatively bankrupt the gameplay is in the campaign.

Man. Man! What a terrible, terrible effort all around.
Yeah, there was so little variety. The only fun I had with those tank fights was when I went with the control core and started taking them over, but by the time you do there are no enemies left to fight with the thing. Which leads me to another point, splitting the abilities into three separate specs was a terrible idea. They should have taken two or three abilities from each spec and just made one more fleshed out upgrade path. Having to choose just one spec at a time wasn't fun at all in single player. I feel like their focus on trying to make everything work for co-op killed the single player experience.

On PC, is there any way to sync my offline campaign progress with my online progress? I started playing offline at launch when I couldnt connect to the servers, and now I would have to start again if I want to play while connected online.

Matticers

Is anyone else having weird controller issues while playing the campaign? Every time I play it, my controller randomly freaks out. The aiming gets slow and starts to drift on it's own. And the character wants to do his own thing even if I'm pushing in another direction. Happens multiple times every level that I play. I haven't had this issue with any other game either. After a while it goes back to normal but it happens again later on randomly so it's pretty annoying.

I just wanted to see if it was just me or not. I doubt this 20th anniversary controller is dying already.

Is anyone else having weird controller issues while playing the campaign? Every time I play it, my controller randomly freaks out. The aiming gets slow and starts to drift on it's own. And the character wants to do his own thing even if I'm pushing in another direction. Happens multiple times every level that I play. I haven't had this issue with any other game either. After a while it goes back to normal but it happens again later on randomly so it's pretty annoying.

I just wanted to see if it was just me or not. I doubt this 20th anniversary controller is dying already.

Sometimes when I play the single player, the game would act as if I was online with lag, which effected my aiming.

Ihyll

I was really looking forward to this game. But the connectivity issues and lag compensation have made this game nearly unplayable for me.

Nothing like hearing 5 or 6 hit markers on a guy and then me getting gunned down with 1 or 2 shots.....Then in the middle of a game I get the "Connection Interrupted" message flashing across the screen. My NAT type says Open and I'm at 5 bars.

Sojgat

I think the COD cycle may be in effect already. I've already seen posts on GameFAQs saying that AW has better movements and a better Domination setup than BO3.

Even with all it's problems, some people really liked AW MP (I was one of them), the people who hated it were just vocal about it.

As for the campaign, I've been singing it's praises all year. It was the best SP FPS experience of 2014. That's right, it's better than Wolfenstein.

Jblanks

Don't like how silencers in the game suck. They need a buff for sure.
Driftor made a video detailing, how bad the silencer makes the weapons damage drop off.

HelloMeow

Anyone else notice a huge drop in consistency since yesterday?

I'm getting shot around corners, insta killed and i need a shitload of bullets for kills sometimes.

MrNelson

Banned
I have to agree.

I honestly think that this was supposed to start another series, but Activision decided to slap the Black Ops name on it to help sales. Then they had to retool some things causing the campaign to become a disjointed mess, and throw in a reference to Menendez and another to Nova 6 to give it some kind of relation. I seriously can't believe that there is no payoff for Reznov

I had a hard time debating whether or not this was actually worse than Ghosts (I never played 3,so that's my low point), but I have to say that it is. At least there I was somewhat invested in the plot and wanted to see it to the end. Here I regret not giving up on it sooner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSeq3x3gQSA

Cool moment I had in a match, if I kept running the wall I was definitely going to die so I had to improvise. Movement options in this game are off the chain.

2MLG4me

GIF7600a.gif

Movement feels amazing in this game.

GIF24b93e.gif

I'm getting shot around corners, insta killed and i need a shitload of bullets for kills sometimes.

Had one like that but my ping was 160ms so check your connection meter and make sure you have good ping or else get out of the game. To enable it, press menu, go to settings, network and toggle it on at the bottom.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can't understand how anyone can find the movement in BO3 impressive if they are experienced in Titanfall. It is 100x more limiting and janky by comparison.

It still feels smooth to control and is easy to grasp. Titanfall was great in that aspect as well, but I don't feel like it's janky here. Similarly, I love the thruster in Halo 5. I'm just a big fan of any game embracing stuff like this.

In Treyarch tradition, the sound of the game is SHIT, especially that of the guns. Reload sound is stronger than firing your assault rifle, which is ridiculous. I remember this being an issue with most of their iterations of COD. Last year's AW had muuuuch better gun firing sounds, which is a shame.
I have to crank up the volume of my amplifier significantly higher than other games, say Halo 5 for example. And even then, there's something off about the guns...Am I the only one with this issue?

Other than that, the game looks gorgeous, gameplay is fantastic, really liking it.

HelloMeow

Had one like that but my ping was 160ms so check your connection meter and make sure you have good ping or else get out of the game. To enable it, press menu, go to settings, network and toggle it on at the bottom.

It's 45ms at most. The game feels like AW at this point with all this bullshit going on.

I was really looking forward to this game. But the connectivity issues and lag compensation have made this game nearly unplayable for me.

Nothing like hearing 5 or 6 hit markers on a guy and then me getting gunned down with 1 or 2 shots.....Then in the middle of a game I get the "Connection Interrupted" message flashing across the screen. My NAT type says Open and I'm at 5 bars.

I have this issues when i try to play with a group. Alone, its fine. But when i want to play with my friends? impossible.

This needs to be fixd ASAP

It's 45ms at most. The game feels like AW at this point with all this bullshit going on.

This ping counter feels like bullshit.

Games shows me 30ms ping but i still need my entire magazine to kill someone... makes sense.

I don't believe you

I'm going to need some video evidence of this

Here's a long video discussing the weaknesses in BO3's movement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZfdPlW6paw

Here's some of Titanfall:
KraNoZ.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6BELshKYE8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axj9V3BQFh8

Biggest difference other than the controls being a hell of a lot smoother is that in Titanfall you can run on pretty much everything.

It still feels smooth to control and is easy to grasp. Titanfall was great in that aspect as well, but I don't feel like it's janky here. Similarly, I love the thruster in Halo 5. I'm just a big fan of any game embracing stuff like this.

I think the difference here is that what BO3 is doing is a much more direct comparison to Titanfall than the thrust in Halo 5, and not a favorable one.

Victrix

*beard*
In Treyarch tradition, the sound of the game is SHIT, especially that of the guns. Reload sound is stronger than firing your assault rifle, which is ridiculous. I remember this being an issue with most of their iterations of COD. Last year's AW had muuuuch better gun firing sounds, which is a shame.
I have to crank up the volume of my amplifier significantly higher than other games, say Halo 5 for example. And even then, there's something off about the guns...Am I the only one with this issue?

Other than that, the game looks gorgeous, gameplay is fantastic, really liking it.

Nope, it's driving me fucking crazy, and they had the exact same issue in BO2 and did nothing about it apparently.

At least in BO2 the Supercrunch audio setting raised the volume enough that you could hear it - here? Almost sounds quieter.

I have to use headphones instead of my home theater system, so dumb.

Sorral

Man, I really hope that the Gorgen and the 48 stay the same and don't get nerfed. The Gorgen is amazing for Safeguard that it tears through the robot's health and the nature of the mode makes it even better. The infection map was great for it as well... So fun that a lot voted for it three times in a row.

I normally don't use LMGs until I tried these two. Figured why not and I don't regret it.

That happened to me last night. I just stopped playing for a while, then reset everything, and it was OK after that. I don't know why the hit detection? went to shit somehow that my Kuda became worse than a BB gun.

Repo Man

The High Boost option in the sound settings under Audio Presets made it a bit better, you can hear explosions and gunfire and the sounds still have a bit of oomph. The bass boost option just seems to muffle everything and the default Treyarch Mix sounds just weird. Not sure why the sound feels overall so neglected when compared to say BF4 which is pretty amazing at times even with cheap shitty PC 2.1 speakers.

Top Bottom