• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Barrett2

November NPDs for this game will be hilarious. Its been out one day and I am ranked 2,018,615!!! On only one platform!!

Id' love to know what kind of contract Infinity Ward has with Activision. The royalties from this game must be astronomical.

McLovin

I didn't get any trophies at all and I beat the game on hardened :/
also after the 1.02 update today my ps3 won't connect online.. I keep getting an error.

Shadow780

brain_stew said:
Its the best version without a doubt, but the multiplayer is gimped to console standards now. If you're not planning to put much time into the multiplayer anyway, I guess that's a none issue.

That's good to hear.

TheExodu5

Banned
lawblob said:
November NPDs for this game will be hilarious. Its been out one day and I am ranked 2,018,615!!! On only one platform!!

Id' love to know what kind of contract Infinity Ward has with Activision. The royalties from this game must be astronomical.

How do you find your ranking?

At the end of a level in which
Shepard shoots you, that scene would've been more powerful if I actually understood why, exactly, he shot the player.
:lol

MidnightRider said:
All I have to say is "to each his own"

I don't agree with any of the stuff the dude you are responding to said......

It seems there are far too many haters who thought the game was going to be more than it is. They got their feelings hurt and are now picking things to cry about.

The game was made for fun..... not for being real or for "movie" purposes as the guy made the comment about.

Who cares about the acting/story line/cut scenes/etc.... ????

Didn't you buy the game to have fun and shoot some enemies? Did you get that taken care of?

As for the comment about "the game seems to be for jerky people who care about their Kill Death Ratio/Kill score"..... let them have their fun. The game can't stand fun to people who camp for very long. If you seem to have gotten yourself into a match with all campers.... drink the koolaid and put your back into a corner.... wait it out. Shoot when you can. orrrrr you could just quit and go find a new game.

Yet these exact things would not fly for any other game.

SalientOne

Internet Batman
Ogs said:
He possibly needed to get deeper into Makarov's doings so they can grab each and every person involved with him ? And how do you know how the CIA operates ? There pretty well known for being brutal. Also, the opening, i guess if you were in an airport where security guards carry weapons openly, and you see a bunch of guys walk out heavily armed, you wouldnt be confused for a few seconds at all (they open fire pretty damn quickly after the civilians turn there heads) ?

Im not saying they didnt stretch out the story to pure unbelievable, they did, but simply writing off this level as purely a shocker isnt right imo.

Fair enough. Your suspension of disbelief obviously stretches a few hundred miles longer than mine. I remain convinced that this was an attempt to shock the audience by a group that has become understandably desensitized to their subject matter (military violence), supported by management at IW and Activision that are interested in only one thing: $$$

Luckily for them, they have people like you willing to defend their choices. Meanwhile, the register goes:

KA-CHING! KA-CHING! KA-CHING!

Barrett2

TheExodu5 said:
How do you find your ranking?

Im' just going off of the "kill count" number that runs on the crawl at the bottom of the screen in the multiplayer menu.

Having completed the game, im' not really sure what the hell was happening during the game. The story definitely needed some transitions, and it would have been nice to slow things down for a minute or two to provide more coherent connections between the characters. But still, I don't think you can really blame IW for simply going with the "bigger & more of it" model in making a sequel. Do what worked the first time, and turn up the volume.

TruHero

Banned
McLovin said:
One thing I noticed about the visuals is that inside the lighting, textures etc. look great. MP maps look great too(the ones I played) but the out door woods parts look horrible. Easily last get looking. I wish they would have polished the whole game to look consistent throughout.

I dunno....I find MW2 to easily be one of the best looking games this gen.

Solomon said:
Fair enough. Your suspension of disbelief obviously stretches a few hundred miles longer than mine. I remain convinced that this was an attempt to shock the audience by a group that has become understandably desensitized to their subject matter (military violence), supported by management at IW and Activision that are interested in only one thing: $$$

Luckily for them, they have people like you willing to defend their choices. Meanwhile, the register goes:

KA-CHING! KA-CHING! KA-CHING!

Yeah it probably does, too much 24 i guess :lol

KAOz

Short bus special
McLovin said:
I didn't get any trophies at all and I beat the game on hardened :/
also after the 1.02 update today my ps3 won't connect online.. I keep getting an error.

That is apperantly the 1.02 patch which was full of bugs, and fucked up the PSN activation-thingie. At least that's what I gathered from reading their forums.

IW are fucking worthless at patching stuff it seems.

Hanmik

can someone please confirm that it is patch 1.02 that breaks online on PSN... ? I will not download the patch tonight if it is the patch that causes PSN to sign out..

PLZ make this game work tonight..

Mr.Green

brain_stew said:
Its the best version without a doubt, but the multiplayer is gimped to console standards now. If you're not planning to put much time into the multiplayer anyway, I guess that's a none issue.

You keep telling yourself that.

spootime

Am I the only person confused by the story?
why did shepard want to kill the task force guys? Did price nuke the US? Why didn't the CIA just capture makarov before he shot up an airport?

DMeisterJ

Banned
Hanmik said:
can someone please confirm that it is patch 1.02 that breaks online on PSN... ? I will not download the patch tonight if it is the patch that causes PSN to sign out..

PLZ make this game work tonight..
Well, you have to patch games to play online. So if you don't patch, you still won't play online.

Sai-kun

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Yet these exact things would not fly for any other game.

Exactly what I was thinking. :lol :lol

MW2 is pretty good so far. For some reason the action reminds me of Uncharted 2, but in first person, and the graphics aren't as good. *shot* :p

the snowmobile level was awesome at the end :D :D

Barrett2

IMO, the visuals do look a bit uneven. One minute I am impressed at how good a set piece aircraft looks in a MP map, the next minute I am distracted by terrible looking water animations flowing over a wall. Overall nice presentation, though. Good enough, at least.

taoofjord

MidnightRider said:
All I have to say is "to each his own"

I don't agree with any of the stuff the dude you are responding to said......

It seems there are far too many haters who thought the game was going to be more than it is. They got their feelings hurt and are now picking things to cry about.

The game was made for fun..... not for being real or for "movie" purposes as the guy made the comment about.

Who cares about the acting/story line/cut scenes/etc.... ????

Didn't you buy the game to have fun and shoot some enemies? Did you get that taken care of?

As for the comment about "the game seems to be for jerky people who care about their Kill Death Ratio/Kill score"..... let them have their fun. The game can't stand fun to people who camp for very long. If you seem to have gotten yourself into a match with all campers.... drink the koolaid and put your back into a corner.... wait it out. Shoot when you can. orrrrr you could just quit and go find a new game.

I'm not hating the game just to hate it. Nor am I actually even "hating" the game to begin with. I criticized it, but in the end, it's still a good game like I said on the last page. Does it make it easier for you to believe in your opinions when you label anyone with a different perspective a "hater"? I'm curious, how old are you?

Arhal_Katarn

gofreak said:
Not sure if old, but the game sold through 1.23m at retail in its first day in the UK alone.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/36482/Modern-Warfare-2-smashes-day-one-sales-record

1,230,588 to be exact. Comfortably doubles the previous record set by GTAIV (609,000).

Holy shit! One thing i would like to know is if it has betean Halo 3's records on the 360. It surely must have done with those insane numbers about 600-700k of those must be on the 360.

I don't think the patch broke it.. i think whatever their serv system is is down because i played WITH the patch for like 3 hours this morning

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
BattleMonkey said:
... sarcasm?

60fps is important to some people, and it's becoming less and less common in big budget games on consoles. I think MW2 does look really good. It's not on the technical level of the likes of Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2 or insertgraphicalshowcasehere obviously, but the smoothness of the action is visually fetching.

lunlunqq

started the SP again since I cannot connect to IW's matchmaking server (WTF is this shit???). it seems like you have to run through a pre-set course to succeed in the campaign... for example in the first mission right after your Humvee is blown up and you retreat into the house. the sgt is yelling at him to stay away from the windows and just run to the next check point. i wanted to kill a few guys on the rooftop through the windows. you know what? i moment i get close to the window, i got shot in the face and blood covered everything. yet, taking care of the enemies inside the building and running to the next checkpoint is relatively easy... the game just forces you to make progress in certain pace. i really envy you guys who "got" it the first time you play it. my first playthrough was really frustrating.

i'm tired of the "it's all about MP" bullshit. I know the MP is the main entry and SP is just a side dish. but if serve shit along side your entry, it's gonna ruin the whole dinner. :(

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
bloodline said:
MSN has up one of the better reviews I've seen for the game. Its really demonstrates just how sad all the "gaming" sites are. Game journalists really are nothing but fanboys. I miss the likes of Shawn Elliott and company over at 1up. I mean, the reviews I read/watched on gametrailers, ign, and giant bomb were absolutely terrible. They all may as well been the same review. I guess the more traditional outlets have become a better source for game reviews these days.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30501433/vp/33844922#33844922

Wow that was a good review there. touched on a number of things other reviews overlooked.

GuardianE said:
60fps is important to some people, and it's becoming less and less common in big budget games on consoles. I think MW2 does look really good. It's not on the technical level of the likes of Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2 or insertgraphicalshowcasehere obviously, but the smoothness of the action is visually fetching.

So we ignore the hordes of games that can run at 60+fps on PC and look better?

Good looking, maybe, but game of generation.

SmokyDave

I've been so vocal about boycotting this game around the office that the guys have bought me a PS3 copy and left it on my desk, wrapped in a bow. I must admit, I cracked up.

Blablurn

i can't connect to the online mode. there is the "online status" windows which won't dissappear. WTF :( i'm talking about the ps3 version btw.

finished SP one hour ago. i think it was okay but nothing special. i expected a little bit more mindblowing action... maybe my expectations were too high..

in the meanwhile. it's still trying to connect...

McLovin

TruHero said:
I dunno....I find MW2 to easily be one of the best looking games this gen.
Most of it is good looking, what I meant was (for example) when walking outside the trees looked like they where dropped in and pop out to me. The line where the trees and ground meet isn't organic at all to me. It just pops out and screams last get to me. Then at other parts I'm blown away by the lighting.

taoofjord said:
I'm not hating the game just to hate it. Nor am I actually even "hating" the game to begin with. I criticized it, but in the end, it's still a good game like I said on the last page. Does it make it easier for you to believe in your opinions when you label anyone with a different perspective a "hater"? I'm curious, how old are you?

anything NEGATIVE said about it will put you in the class as a HATER

same as in life.

if you say something negative about something/someone.... you are a HATER

Top Bottom