• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Mr.Green said:
You keep telling yourself that.

Telling myself what, the undisputed truth? Its the version with the best graphics, best performance, best controls (no shitty auto aim for a start) and its multiplayer is no better or worse than the console version. Yes it is the best version, its just not upto par, with other PC shooters is all. Check out these comparison pictures, there's quite a leap in graphics:

http://www.pcgames.de/aid,699195/Mo...owser&image_id=1220187&browsersize=fullscreen

McLovin said:
Most of it is good looking, what I meant was (for example) when walking outside the trees looked like they where dropped in and pop out to me. The line where the trees and ground meet isn't organic at all to me. It just pops out and screams last get to me. Then at other parts I'm blown away by the lighting.

Every COD game has suffered from this, adding SSAO to the PC versions sorts it out a treat though.

R2D4

Banned
I just got past the part where you are fighting between
the three resturants
. Pretty awesome. I've always wanted a game like World In Conflict but in FPS form.

Oh and if Killzone 2 had MW1&2 controls it would have been so awesome that my copy wouldn't have been on Gamestops used shelf after 2 weeks of playing it.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
wtf is going on with the activision servers?

on ps3 it goes between not connecting at all, to connecting and dropping... i need my cod fix, dammit.

Had the game since 12:00am tuesday morning, fucking great.

Fired up multiplayer right away with 5 of my buds and played until 7:30am. :lol Had no idea where the time went! Good thing we all took off the next day.

I gotta say, I love the "winning kill" cam. Its awesome being in the lobby and your teammates are going apeshit going "OWNED!" :D

SP campaign is awesome so far, haven't finished it yet, but very good so far.

Spec Ops is awesome. A lot of fun with a buddy, and I like it way better than the zombie mode in WAW.

All in all, totally addicting, kickass sequel.

Raxus said:
It is overwhelming at first but you adjust.

I hope its just an adjustment period. Skidrow by far is the biggest offender of "TOO MUCH." There's a million goddamn windows, rooms, alleyways and roofs. That's not the only map that is way too layered, but its by far the worst example of "Look how much shit we put into this map! LOOK! LOOOOOOOOOOOOK!"

In MW1, when I got killed, I had a general idea/direction of where an enemy would be because of the map design and wouldn't be upset that I killed because I'd go "Well, I knew someone could've been where I was looking, I'd just respawn, and try to flank the guy who killed me.

MW2? 75% of the time on 75% of the maps I could get shot from the top right, the top left, my direct left or right, or somewhere behind and below me. I'm not saying this because I want to camp or anything, but its like wherever I go, I have to look EVERYWHERE and in my opinion that's because of the map design. The maps do not seem nearly as focused as MW1. It all just feels like a free-for-all to me.

But, I've also played only Ground War because of the number of guys we had playing, so that may be the big reason why I'm getting so annoyed with the map design is the sheer number of people. I'm really hoping in the 6v6 playlists, shit calms down.

But for now, the maps are just way too busy and layered and unfocused.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Probably a long shot, but is there eventually a perk that keeps counter-UAV from effecting you? It is getting used so much that I'm going to swap out UAV from my killstreaks which would have seemed unthinkable before.

AHappyPanda said:
I'm really hoping in the 6v6 playlists, shit calms down.

I would say there is an adjustment period. I felt this same way with COD4 when it first came out. It took a bit to get used to but eventually I got nice and settled and I'm sure people got used to the maps and into their own "game." Right now I think there are SO many new players online, some COD4 veterans and some not that are just getting used to the game, trying out new perk options, and so forth. But once the game has been out for a bit, I believe it will get better.

Mooreberg said:
Probably a long shot, but is there eventually a perk that keeps counter-UAV from effecting you? It is getting used so much that I'm going to swap out UAV from my killstreaks which would have seemed unthinkable before.

I'm not exactly sure but I dont think so. If there was, it would more than likely be Ninja pro or cold blooded pro perk but I highly doubt it. Somebody can prob confirm this for me. I dont have all the perks unlocked yet so I'm not sure. I already took out UAV from my killstreaks since a lot of other people fire them up anyway. I have it set to predator missile, precision airstrike, and then harrier, one right after another. Racks up tons of kills.

Put about 4.5 hours into it last night, and I *think* I'm at the lest level, not sure though. I only have campaign impressions so far (No spoilers):

Good:
+ Controls and feedback feel like a COD game should. Was never broke and they didn't fix it :)
+ Far more variety of weapons to pick up during the campaign. You can really tailor your combat style.
+ Every level has multiple, open area, intense, over-the-top, crescendo set-pieces that would stand just fine on their own as final levels in other shooters.
+ Epic story is fucking epic. Its the 2012 of shooters, for better or worse.
+ Love the variety in the missions.

Not Sure:
+ "That level" hit me harder than I thought it would. Half way through playing I also got a disk read error (from a HDD installed game!) so I had to replay the entire thing again. Not sure I'd want to give it a third go actually. Kudos to IW for having balls though.

Bad:
+ Opening levels are much harder than later levels. Very frustrating to start the experience with a jam covered face for most of the time.
+ Lots of weird glitches where dead enemies will be stuck to geometry, hanging and twitching and writhing. Also saw a good many allied soldiers staring blankly into walls, with their guns poking through the other side, oblivious to the fight.
+ No noticeable AI improvements. Enemies will still rush you and then cop a squat in the open. You still can't rely on allies to cover the rear or flanks. You have to be a one-man-12-eyed-multidimensional-monster-of-war. Speaking of which...
+ Ramirez *must be* an army of one. While his commanding officer hides behind store counters and overturned tables, he ceaselessly barks orders at Ramirez to go and run past enemy helicopters and whole battalions of infantry, in the wide open, to singlehandledly defeat entire offensives. Its this part of the game that got on my nerves. For all the dedication to realism, this game really does expect you to singlehandedly wipe out entire enemy armies, and if you don't do said task at a full gallop, expect to be screamed at constantly. I know a game like this needs to throw tons of enemies at you, and that mechanic works when you're in the midst of a giant battle with large numbers on both sides. But the mechanic completely breaks down when its a solo mission, or just you and one or two other guys. "Hey guys, I know you want me to hurry it up, but I kindof have 50 dudes surrounding me from every rooftop, window and doorway. It'll take me a minute."
+ The story details can be hard to pick up on, as its almost always presented snippets of conversation during load screens or in-game chatter, easily missed with all the explosions going off everywhere you look. Going to fuck with my center channel tonight to see if I can make the voices clearer.

All in all, I am looking forward to replaying the campaign - it feels like its balanced more for multiple playthroughs than for making the best initial impression.

I guess most newer players are in TDM. When I go there I usually get at least a 2-1 K/D ratio or better. But in Domination I get around 1-1 to 1.5-1 more often.

Jhoan

I got it yesterday with a $20 GC from TRU. I haven't played it yet, I've been too busy playing The Orange Box. Honestly, I'm not even hyped about it. On the other hand I am looking forward to playing Spec Ops, so that should be fun. I remember the TRU people were very happy because a ton of people bought it. EDIT: put my GT in the Online thread.

bdouble

Rice-Eater said:
I guess most newer players are in TDM. When I go there I usually get at least a 2-1 K/D ratio or better. But in Domination I get around 1-1 to 1.5-1 more often.
yeah probably because thats the only mode they have unlocked.

The Chef

AHappyPanda said:

I came to a similar conclusion playing last night. I NEVER camp but I discovered that on some maps that is really the only way to keep a decent kill/death ratio. If your running anywhere on the ground you have to deal with a million windows and tiny alleys where someone will pop your head. And if no one is there then surely there will be people on the second and third floors of buildings your running by.

Im starting to hate those maps. To walk around at all will mean instant death from an unknown location constantly. :/
Your way better off finding a small window of your own and setting up shop there.

ZeroRay

Damn it IW!

How much do you have to fail to mess up a patch to fix another bloody patch?

I was able to play last night with the patch installed so I'm confused as to what is going on.

Nizz

God dammit, I pre-ordered the game from Amazon and went with the super saver shipping. I figured the game would ship at or around the 10th, just that it would take a little longer to get here.

I could have sworn the date I would get it was the 16th, come to find out it's shipping on the 16th, and delivery estimate is Nov. 23-Dec. 1. Fuck man, trying to save a couple of bucks...

And I can't change or cancel the order either. :( By the time I get the game, I'll probably have had a couple of hours in the Bad Company 2 beta.

Happy Veterans Day!

So I burned through the single-player campaign in pretty much one sitting yesterday. Yeah it's not that long but it packs a lot into what's there. It's totally ridiculous but in a good way, imagine Tom Clancy went totally insane and this would probably be the result. I love stuff that's totally over the top so
staging a full-on battle to re-take Washington DC from Russian paratroopers including running firefights inside the west wing of the White House
is totally up my alley. But while my credulity is very pliable but even I found myself wondering why the
Russians would stage such an expensive and ultimately surely doomed partial invasion of the Eastern US simply as payback for a terrorist atrocity; if all they want is revenge and they have the capacity to knock out our early warning systems, why not simply smother the Eastern Seaboard with ICBMs, why a territorial invasion that does much less damage and has no ultimate goal?

Anyway my main problem with the single player story is not how silly it is but how fragmented it seems. MW1 had the same problem but not quite as badly; it's really just a series of disjointed episodes with very little narrative causality between them. Explain to me why I'm attacking this sub base or raiding this Russian gulag again? Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention in the briefings but a lot of it seemed to make very little sense.

Anyway. Small quibbles, the story was a lot of fun overall, really enjoyed the many callbacks to the story in MW1 and if anything this episode exceeded the first in terms of "oh shit" story moments and plot twists. Definitely a worthy successor to the first game and I liked how they
didn't resolve much of anything, leaving it all wide open for MW3

So now onto multiplayer. This isn't my first console FPS but it's the first one I've really attempted to play online (unless you count the few hours I spent getting continuously murdered in Halo 3 before ragequitting) so I fully expected to get owned but it wasn't really that bad. I scored a decent number of kills and generally didn't embarrass myself, was on the winning side in a few TDM games, but it's clear I have a *lot* to learn. As a long-time PC mouse-and-keyboard multiplayer I don't know if I'm really going to be able to settle into the console method, the ability to whip around quickly is a big part of mouse-based play and the much slower turning speed here feels like a big limiter and will take some getting used to. I will persevere though; if anyone here has some very basic survival/gameplay tips for online play I'd really appreciate it.

ckeur

Can someone post when the servers are up (for them). I'm still really hoping to be able to play before going to work ...

big_z said:
just finished the single player tonight.... no idea what the hell happened.

From what I gathered, Shepard was the army commander of the attack in MW1 that ended in the nuclear device going off and killing so many troops and feels that the US didn't respond properly. Between MW1 and MW2, the relationship between Russia and the US started to fall apart. Shepard doubtlessly arranged for the defense satellite ending up in Russian hands. He hires the Terrorist-for-profit Makarov and "plants" an American soldier in deep cover with his group. Makarov leads an attack on a Russian airport, ending with shooting the plant to put the blame on the US. Russia blames the US for the terrorist attack and launches a full-scale preemptive strike, using the codes they got from the satellite to get the drop on the US. Meanwhile, using shells from the attack, 141 trace down the arms dealer who sold the weapons Makarov used in the attack in Rio. During this time, Russia's attack has become a full scale invasion, with Russia promising to kill 1,000 Americans for every Russian civilian lost in the terror attack.

This is where the plot kind of gets hazy for me:

Discovering Makarov behind the attack, they also learn that he was interested in a certain prisoner being held in the Gulag. They sneak past Russia's defenses and rescue the prisoner, discovering it was Price. Makarov meanwhile uses one of his men in the Russian army to kill some VIP. Shepard wants the 141 to go directly after Makarov, but Price wants to help stop the war first. To do so, he launches a nuclear missile at Washington D.C., distroying it in relative safety in the atmosphere and using the explosion to knock out electronics in the area, the surprise of which the US soldiers use to their advantege to drive the Russians out of their holdings in DC. The threat of the nuke launch frightens Shepard's supiors enough that they grant him total leeway with the army.
Shepard sends Soap and company to hunt down Makarov, narrowing is hiding place to one of two locations: a hidden mountain retreat and an airplane graveyard. Roach and Ghost go to the retreat while Soap and Price check out the Graveyard. While both groups check for Makarov, with Roach and Ghost using his computer to look for more clues on his location, Shepard's loyal soldiers launch an attack on both. Ghost and Roach are killed by Shepard personally, and their bodies are burned. Soap and Price escape through a fire-fight between Shepard's men and Makarov's terrorists. With nothing else to lose, Price and Soap hunt down Shepard.

played it few hours last night.. so far so good. though in terms of the story, it hasnt grabbed me like cod4. the missions are very very short.

regarding the character ghost.. his voice is very similar to gaz. and i know that the voice actor is back doing mw2. was that intentional to make him mysterious? there is no way it can be gaz because i saw him die.

vehn

so is online broken for the rest of the 1.5 million ps3 users? Seems rather shitty for them to do that >.> Rather have online than trophies...

Its rather appalling the PS3 version has so many online issues, I remember this being the case during the COD4 launch. Surely they would of anticipated that at least a couple of people were going to want to play the MP section of the game. The number of pre-orders should of served as a subtle hint.

Any problems with the 360 version?

Raxus

Someone EMP'ed the PS3 servers.

Also the 360 version has been working fine. I have had only two instances where the map refused to load for me and there is always the nagging host advantage bullshit but aside from that servers have been brilliant.

Raxus said:
Someone EMP'ed the PS3 servers.
I'm looking at you guys. :|

EDIT: Wow, people don't like Skidrow?
I fucking love it. SOOOO many places to go, so many places to pop off shots from, etc.

I can understand if you don't like it in TDM or something, it probably would be annoying with all the camping, but I play HQ 90% of the time and Skidrow is fantastic for it. Capture HQ, set up some people across the street in windows... watch what happens.

Sean

Banned
AHappyPanda said:
I hope its just an adjustment period. Skidrow by far is the biggest offender of "TOO MUCH." There's a million goddamn windows, rooms, alleyways and roofs. That's not the only map that is way too layered, but its by far the worst example of "Look how much shit we put into this map! LOOK! LOOOOOOOOOOOOK!"

In MW1, when I got killed, I had a general idea/direction of where an enemy would be because of the map design and wouldn't be upset that I killed because I'd go "Well, I knew someone could've been where I was looking, I'd just respawn, and try to flank the guy who killed me.

MW2? 75% of the time on 75% of the maps I could get shot from the top right, the top left, my direct left or right, or somewhere behind and below me. I'm not saying this because I want to camp or anything, but its like wherever I go, I have to look EVERYWHERE and in my opinion that's because of the map design. The maps do not seem nearly as focused as MW1. It all just feels like a free-for-all to me.

But, I've also played only Ground War because of the number of guys we had playing, so that may be the big reason why I'm getting so annoyed with the map design is the sheer number of people. I'm really hoping in the 6v6 playlists, shit calms down.

I agree, the maps in MW2 that I have played so far don't seem as tightly designed as the ones from CoD4. They're more complex and intricate but not necessarily more fun.

Nizz

slunk2zero said:
Its rather appalling the PS3 version has so many online issues, I remember this being the case during the COD4 launch. Surely they would of anticipated that at least a couple of people were going to want to play the MP section of the game. The number of pre-orders should of served as a subtle hint.

Any problems with the 360 version?
The one thing I was hoping would be solid this time around. I still remember staring at a "downloading game settings" screen on PS3 and it taking a while to jump into matches. Maybe it's a blessing I won't have the game for another week or two.

Hopefully the problems should be ironed out by then. Are any 360 players experiencing the same thing?

Soooo glad they kept the 1-hit/1-kill melee system, and even spiced it up a bit with the commando perk. It's great 'cause I stab like no other -- it's like a slam dunk yaknow, a high percentage shot.

Kinda miss 3 Frags, and I'm not sure if that's returning in any way -- grenade spam aside, it kept you on your toes. Camping a rooftop isn't such a great idea if two or three grenades come rolling up on you.

I miss Martyrdom. Read into that what you will.

Aside from the unpolished looks in the interface, it's the same game, but better.

MaxSteel

multiplayer levels are SO vertical and layered - makes the radar damn near useless in certain situations and seems to be getting me killed a lot. not a complaint really - just a comment - i'm sure i'll get used to it.

Raxus

Once you get the hang of the maps, especially Favela. You learn all sorts of cool shortcuts and work arounds and that is when the game really opens up.

Wasteland and skidrow do kinda suck though.

Carlisle

Awesome. MW2 arrived on release day from Amazon with super-saver shipping. In yo' face Primers. But alas, I'm still trying to finish up CoD4 before I open up this one. Maybe after this weekend....

Jonsoncao

Banned
no online issues for me at least :lol

xbot peasant here, I paid a fucking retarded $50 for playing online like a retard each year, so at least M$ should let me enjoy the online without worrying too much :lol

Raxus

DeuceMojo said:
Soooo glad they kept the 1-hit/1-kill melee system, and even spiced it up a bit with the commando perk. It's great 'cause I stab like no other -- it's like a slam dunk yaknow, a high percentage shot.

Kinda miss 3 Frags, and I'm not sure if that's returning in any way -- grenade spam aside, it kept you on your toes. Camping a rooftop isn't such a great idea if two or three grenades come rolling up on you.

I miss Martyrdom. Read into that what you will.

Aside from the unpolished looks in the interface, it's the same game, but better.
Use Scavenger it refills equipment and special grenades as well as ammo. As long as a "fresh" gun is nearby you should be able to keep using your 'nades.

Just got my order in from UPS and currently playing "Cliffhanger" and I noticed they used the scrapped scrapped MacMillian voice talent from E307.
Currently enjoying the game so far and I'm a bit shocked there's no opener for this one. It just throws right in the middle of it all.

GodofWine

slunk2zero said:
Its rather appalling the PS3 version has so many online issues,

Technically...it was one issue (party invite) and that had a work around....and somehow they did something due to trophies (yawn) that set off a tactical nuke.

The game functioned perfect...now it just doesn't function. I know, I know, its like saying that an engine is just missing a battery, but its such a minor bug that took it down that they should just be yelled at for missing something stupid and easy, than for shipping a broken game.

Edit - that said...this shit better be working tonight!!!! RAWR!!!!!!!!!!!!

McLovin

R2D4 said:
I just got past the part where you are fighting between
the three resturants
. Pretty awesome. I've always wanted a game like World In Conflict but in FPS form.

Oh and if Killzone 2 had MW1&2 controls it would have been so awesome that my copy wouldn't have been on Gamestops used shelf after 2 weeks of playing it.
It did have them.. it was one of the alt options.

blehh said:
That most definitely does not apply to the server issues we're currently having.

tomi123 said:
fourzerotwo:

@OPM_UK The amount of players on #MW2 PSN overwhelmed the PSN presence server which updates "what you're doing" and is essential to parties.39 minutes ago from Tweetie in reply to OPM_UK
I fucking KNEW it had something to do with the presence data. It's been acting wonky ever since release, almost everyone was showing "At the Main Menu" when I knew for a fact they weren't. After 1.02 it started working again, though. Sigh.

tomi123

fourzerotwo:

@OPM_UK The amount of players on #MW2 PSN overwhelmed the PSN presence server which updates "what you're doing" and is essential to parties.39 minutes ago from Tweetie in reply to OPM_UK

Grecco

Horribly late to the party
. But im in the Airpoart thing and semi disapointed that you fail the mission when you shoot the terrorists.

Top Bottom