• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Tron999

Anyone else's PS3 online MP totally broken? I can't get in to any game.

EDIT: The stats on the screen say 407 are in playlists, with 55515 total players online. does that mean that 55000 people can't get into a game?

J-Rzez

MidnightRider said:
All I have to say is "to each his own"

I don't agree with any of the stuff the dude you are responding to said......

It seems there are far too many haters who thought the game was going to be more than it is. They got their feelings hurt and are now picking things to cry about.

The game was made for fun..... not for being real or for "movie" purposes as the guy made the comment about.

Who cares about the acting/story line/cut scenes/etc.... ????

Didn't you buy the game to have fun and shoot some enemies? Did you get that taken care of?

Lowering standards, especially from games that sold by the epic fuck-tons, could only mean good things for us gamers!

Sucks to hear about the PS3 version being broken, again. I learned my lesson last time though with that, and playing a borrowed copy from my friend who had their 360 RRoD. The way some people are frustrated with the SP being supposedly short and annoying, and that if you don't have an A-game skill you're getting destroyed in MP, it won't be long for me to score a used copy.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So the airport scene was indeed important to the story, but here's how they should have done it:
How about being a cop in the airport trying to stop them? You only have your firearm, and you'd see people being dispatched all around you...and you're pretty much powerless to stop them. Then you could regroup with the SWAT outside and try to take them down, maybe getting one or two of them, but the others overpower everyone. Then you run after them and see the body near the ambulance.

Then the game flashes back, showing you the perspective of the American guy killing civilians (while not allowing you to control it) and showing the very end.

Not only would this be less controversial, it would be much more powerful...here's a game that gives you dozens and dozens and dozens of enemies to pick off with your big-ass machine guns, but in this level, it's the enemy who has the guns, and who is mowing down civilians while you're completely ill-equipped to deal with them.

MidnightRider said:

anything NEGATIVE said about it will put you in the class as a HATER

same as in life.

if you say something negative about something/someone.... you are a HATER

It's called having an opinion. You go around labeling everyone a hater because they have a negative aspect about any little thing?

Just got to the
snowmobile
part of the second level.
Got to say I am having a good time with the game so far even though the visuals are starting to look a little dated.

How shoddy does the start menu screen look though. I was like this can't really be the main menu.

Sai-kun

Banned
MidnightRider said:

same as in life.

Why do you have to be hating on him?

taoofjord

MidnightRider said:

same as in life.

It seems you don't actually know the definition of what a "hater" is. The way you use the word is a crutch, too, considering life isn't black and white.

Reading some of these posts on the controversial level really baffles me.

Do none of you watch movies where innocent civilians are shown to be slaughtered like that all the time? Yes, it's horrendous, but that's the point. You need to show stuff like that to gain proper hatred for the bad guys.

I was totally shocked by it, too - seeing them shoot down so many people in cold blood was absolutely chilling, but do you know what effect that had on me? I didn't, for one single second, consider shooting someone. Yes, it's true you don't have much choice once the SWAT gets there, but for me to be playing a FPS, with a huge gun in my hand and hundreds of moving targets and not once get tempted to shoot them is pretty fucking amazing. I was more engaged with the story then than at any other time.

As for claims it will influence real terrorism... :lol The countless terrorist attacks that have happened previously didn't need a video game to give them the idea. Attacking an airport is hardly an original concept; security is extremely tight there for a reason.

I don't consider it to be a cheap move for more sales at all. I think Infinity Ward wanted to do something that would push the boundaries of narrative forward in games, and they succeeded in my books.

TruHero

Banned
taoofjord said:
Does it make it easier for you to believe in your opinions when you label anyone with a different perspective a "hater"?

There are definite MW2-haters though. Just check out the MW2 UK Sales thread that just popped up. There are people in there boo-ing MW2's success.

Now just why would people do that?

Impressions:

1. Gonna be a long, long road to 700 levels worth of prestige. But that's what makes this game so fun, amirite? By the way, I am dead serious about this. Video games are very serious business.

2. Props to Activision for publishing the $60 version with an instruction book that looks straight out of an 8th-grade computer aided drafting class, printed on a 1987 plotter. Well-done, and way to make a real connection with the majority of the people that are buying this game. I will never ever buy another limited-ultra-realistic-hardened-verteran-legendary-collector's-mythic-game-of-the-year-edition, just so I can have a proper manual. By the way, I am dead serious about this. Video games are very serious business.

3. Nice job on the kill streak perks, the excellent weapons and add-ons, and the fairly entertaining emblems, titles, etc. By the way, I am dead serious about this. Video games are very serious business.

Edit: Congrats on providing yet another tool to aid The Terrorists. Now, along with Google Earth, MW2 will be an invaluable tool for The Terrorists in their war to destroy Our Freedom and Way of Life. When you start becoming a terrorist in a video game, The Terrorists win. I'm DeuceMojo, and I do not endorse this message.

Sai-kun

Banned
DeuceMojo said:
Impressions:

1. Gonna be a long, long road to 700 levels worth of prestige. But that's what makes this game so fun, amirite? By the way, I am dead serious about this. Video games are very serious business.

2. Props to Activision for publishing the $60 version with an instruction book that looks straight out of an 8th-grade computer aided drafting class, printed on a 1987 plotter. Well-done, and way to make a real connection with the majority of the people that are buying this game. I will never ever buy another limited-ultra-realistic-hardened-verteran-legendary-collector's-mythic-game-of-the-year-edition, just so I can have a proper manual. By the way, I am dead serious about this. Video games are very serious business.

3. Nice job on the kill streak perks, the excellent weapons and add-ons, and the fairly entertaining emblems, titles, etc. By the way, I am dead serious about this. Video games are very serious business.

I saw that fucking manual. :lol What the hell was up with that?

JaseMath

I'm personally more offended that there are quotes by Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney when you die than by the airport level. But then that's probably just me...

JasonMCG said:
I'm personally more offended that there are quotes by Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney when you die than by the airport level. But then that's probably just me...

Love how the quotes have no significance at all to whats going on other than to make it all seem pretentious. Might as well be quoting Dr. Seus.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Just got to the
snowmobile
part of the second level.
Got to say I am having a good time with the game so far even though the visuals are starting to look a little dated.

How shoddy does the start menu screen look though. I was like this can't really be the main menu.
What was up with adjusting the game's screen horizontally and vertically at the beginning? I still don't understand that.

TruHero

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
So we ignore the hordes of games that can run at 60+fps on PC and look better?

Good looking, maybe, but game of generation.

I'm not ignoring other games on PC, because I wasn't referring to PC games.

I stand by my statement: MW2 is one of the best looking games (on consoles) this gen.

BattleMonkey said:
It's called having an opinion. You go around labeling everyone a hater because they have a negative aspect about any little thing?

opinion...... hating...... whatever.

Sai-kun said:
Why do you have to be hating on him?

was not hating on him... i was more or less hating on "they"

The Stealth Fox

Great game. Good story, from what I could understand of it. Probably will have to replay to pick up the subtleties.

Glad they did away with infinite waves, makes the game much more replayable now.

The RPD/RDS stopping power/steady aim combo is saving my k/d ratio. It was .4 before I started using that and now I'm almost at .8.

TruHero

Banned
Dax01 said:
What was up with adjusting the game's screen horizontally and vertically at the beginning? I still don't understand that.

Did you do any adjustments?

I adjusted it so that the arrows were at the edge of my HDTV. I thought that was what we were supposed to do.....?

Sai-kun

Banned
MidnightRider said:
opinion...... hating...... whatever.

was not hating on him... i was more or less hating on "they"

Well quit hating, bro.
AHappyPanda said:
Haven't read the thread yet...

Anyone else think the new maps are waaaay too busy?

MW1 maps were chaotic, but they were controlled. The MW2 maps, sans 2 or 3 that seemed more akin to the MW1 maps, were giant clusterfucks to me.

needs more shipment

MW1 maps were chaotic, but they were controlled. The MW2 maps, sans 2 or 3 that seemed more akin to the MW1 maps, were giant clusterfucks to me.

TruHero said:
Did you do any adjustments?

I adjusted it so that the arrows were at the edge of my HDTV. I thought that was what we were supposed to do.....?
I had to adjust it horizontally, then vertically. Why would MW2 want you to do that?

BattleMonkey said:
Love how the quotes have no significance at all to whats going on other than to make it all seem pretentious. Might as well be quoting Dr. Seus.
Um, the Rumsfeld quote isnt an endorsement at all, it's his infamous "we know where they are" (the WMDs) quote. it foreshadows what's going on in the story of the campaign. There are all sorts of quotes in here that kind of, you know, mock patriotic ideals.

Dax01 said:
It's awesome and more games should do it? Hell, consoles should have it in their frakking menus. TVs are not universal in how much of their input they actually display mister Dax. Hell, mine varies depending on which jacks I plug in to.

Also most games account for this naturally, meaning people using monitors and stuff that display 100% get screwed up games.

BattleMonkey said:

Wish it was quoting Dr. Seuss 'cause I am perfectly sick and tired of the quotes in COD games. OK, OK, some f'ing guy had some pithy comment about war and peace, we get it.

Was it me though, or did COD4 have a massive number of completely fabricated quotes attributed to like "US Army Infantry Field Manual" and "Unknown Drill Sergeant" and "Fat Guy Who's Read Too Many Issues of Soldier of Fortune." It's about as bad as just making some shit up and then putting "-Oscar Wilde" next to it. :lol

"It is generally inadvisable to eject over the area you've just carpet bombed."
-USAF Training Manual

winnarps

AHappyPanda said:

Some of them are huge. The snow level with the derailed train seems so big for 6v6 matchups.

The smaller ones seem to have several levels to them as well, which definitely took some getting used to.

Also, the respawn system is still shoddy. I think I died immediately on respawn about 10 times last night.

taoofjord said:
It seems you don't actually know the definition of what a "hater" is. The way you use the word is a crutch, too, considering life isn't black and white.
Haters_gonna_hate.gif

Raxus

AHappyPanda said:

It is overwhelming at first but you adjust.

The Chef

BruceLeeRoy said:

:lol Completely agree.

In the training level in the beginning - the guys playing basketball and fixing the hummer - I thought those character animations were fantastic.

This game does look very good, however there have definitely been times playing multiplayer, like the snow level with the two warehouse style buildings, where I would see a set piece like a car that seriously looks comparable to a car in Golden Eye on N64.

And WOW at the script of this game.

"Keep and eye on those rooftops. Stay frosty"
"Hoora"

God that shit is so terrible.

But still I'm having a great time playing.

JaseMath

BattleMonkey said:
Well, that and they're war criminals if you ask me. It's insulting just to see a quote by Confucius followed by a quote from Cheney.

EDIT: Actually, if ignoramus is right and the quotes do foreshadow what's going on in the story, then they probably belong for reasons above.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
BattleMonkey said:
So we ignore the hordes of games that can run at 60+fps on PC and look better?

Good looking, maybe, but game of generation.

PC games don't count towards the "generation." Never have. They're always graphically superior if you have the hardware to run it. Generations only apply to consoles.

That said, I don't think it's the "game of generation" graphically at all. I'm just saying that 60fps is becoming less and less common, and it delivers a starkly different experience.

BattleMonkey said:
The heartbeat sensor seems useless, anyone actually use this in MP? It has slow refresh rate, is very vague, and mp moves to fast for it to have any use.

I think it's more to combat snipers and campers. Useful when you don't have a UAV, or your UAV is jammed.

The heartbeat sensor seems useless, anyone actually use this in MP? It has slow refresh rate, is very vague, and mp moves to fast for it to have any use.

shpankey

not an idiot
Well, played most of the night last night. Wow fucking WOW!

This and Uncharted 2 have blown my mind of late. 2 of the greatest games I've ever played and it comes on consecutive weeks. I can't believe just how fricken awesome this game is. I'm going to have to give it the edge now on my GotY. I didn't think anything would top UC2 for a long time for me, and just 1 week later and here it is. :D

The graphics are mind numbing. So detailed, so preeeeeeeeeety. The control is absolutely flawless. So responsive and smooth. The presentation is light years beyond most games (save UC2). Did I mention the graphics? So incredibly detailed and man, I am just at a loss for words. This game is just leaving me speechless. I kept trying to stop playing last night and got in the "just one more checkpoint" endless loop. Checked my friends list on Xbox Live and every single friend on there was playing. :lol I seen 2 co-workers still playing at 3am along with me. Both couldn't wait to talk to me this morning, both red-eyed as hell and just spraying superlatives about how awesome this is. :lol

The game is just so fucking FUN I can't stop myself playing and can't stop thinking about getting off work and getting back to it. Not even UC2 had this big of an effect on me. Again... WOW!!!

taoofjord

Foliorum Viridum said:
Reading some of these posts on the controversial level really baffles me.

Do none of you watch movies where innocent civilians are shown to be slaughtered like that all the time? Yes, it's horrendous, but that's the point. You need to show stuff like that to gain proper hatred for the bad guys.

I was totally shocked by it, too - seeing them shoot down so many people in cold blood was absolutely chilling, but do you know what effect that had on me? I didn't, for one single second, consider shooting someone. Yes, it's true you don't have much choice once the SWAT gets there, but for me to be playing a FPS, with a huge gun in my hand and hundreds of moving targets and not once get tempted to shoot them is pretty fucking amazing. I was more engaged with the story then than at any other time.

As for claims it will influence real terrorism... :lol The countless terrorist attacks that have happened previously didn't need a video game to give them the idea. Attacking an airport is hardly an original concept; security is extremely tight there for a reason.

I don't consider it to be a cheap move for more sales at all. I think Infinity Ward wanted to do something that would push the boundaries of narrative forward in games, and they succeeded in my books.

I'm still undecided on how I feel about that mission... but I will say that I don't think it was in as bad taste as many have stated. It made me feel awful, in a way no game has done so before, and for that I appreciate it. Don't get me wrong, though, the folks at IW are no great artists. You can tell this game was made by nerdy war movie lovers, not people driven to making a sweeping, emotional statement... which almost makes me appreciate this mission more, seeing as how I didn't particularly find it offensive or put there for controversial reasons. And others are right, you see this sort of stuff in movies all the time. Sure, IW could have taken the highest moral road and not put it in there, but it isn't there fault that people, immature or disturbed, could feed off of this in a sick way.

Raxus

BattleMonkey said:
I do. It is fantastic sniping. If I pick up an enemy trying to approach me I whip out my shotgun just in case. It is nice to have a general idea where enemies are at. Similar to halo it is vague but it works.

winnarps

BattleMonkey said:

Works well with Bling (HB + Silencer) for a stealth class-type.

I often pick up the premade 50cal from the new players (it has the HB sensor attached) and use it when my team doesn't have UAV. I just swap back to my main weapon when I get near enemies.

Barrett2

Foxtastical said:
The single-player Favela level was pretty terrible.

Does everyone hate it because its unclear where to go? That was my problem with it; I kept wandering down dead-ends. I didn't think the combat was too bad on that level, though.

BattleMonkey said:

Considering I spend quite a bit of time viewing the kill cam :)lol) I've seen that heartbeat sensor in action. Its refresh rate seems >= UAV and apparently it was good enough to spot my sneaky self a few times.

Personally I think that thermal scope is the all-singing-all-dancing-be-all-end-all of weapon attachments. Can't make out your enemy from a distance? Sometimes you need to see everything in black and brilliant white.

BattleMonkey said:

Didn't play much last night, but in one TDM on rooftops this one guy kept killing me with heartbeat sensor. It's like a campers dream, just wait around a corner, and even if it refreshes slow you'll still know they're coming towards you which gives the camper a definite edge.

Since Rooftops had a lot of right angles (hallways, sharp corners, all sorts of abrupt turn areas) it is a definite advantage. I think on the more open maps it will be useless.

Some probably already voiced thoughts:

The Bad:
The gameplay in the main campaign is really simple and quite boring. When you did the sneaking mission in the first MW and you had to take out two guards with your friend, it was exciting and created a very good tension. Now you´re served that same mission over and over and it's not exciting and it's not fun. The vehicle parts in the game are also extremely simple, and very easy. With the kind of tempo they have set up there´s no chance to introduce a vehicle and actually have some challenging gameplay attached to it, so they just canned the gameplay. The shooting is not very fun either, most of the time you don't really have to do much, your comrades will take care of mostly anything on their own, it's also hard to spot enemies, especially with the smear constantly covering the screen, be it blood or dust. The high tempo is the only thing that kept me playing through the 5 hour campaign, not because the set pieces were good, but I was constantly hoping something fun would come along. Also the story, as most would probably agree, is terrible. The presentation is complete shit. What?, where?, who am I now? And the controversial scene that some here said they got sick playing through, is not any more sickening than the rest of the game. It's war porn, the CE had a fucking gadget included that is used to kill people in the dark. Not saying I'm disturbed by this myself, it's only a video game. If the gameplay in the campaign was actually fun, I would forgive the bad story, especially since I had no expectations on that after MW1.

The Ugly:
I'm putting forwards some complaints here mainly because the big gaming media gave it such high ratings for the graphics. 10/10 from IGN and I think GameTrailers said in their review that it was the best looking multiplat game to date(Dead Space and GTA IV easily beat MW2, yes despite the frame rate issues in GTA). The lighting engine does a good job sometimes, I think. It's so inconsistent, I don't know if it is actually a good engine or they just put lot's of work into some of the assets. Inconsistency is the biggest problem with the graphics, the game world is not believable when the ugly is always somewhere on your screen. Explosions and smoke look terrible. When you in one mission start out under water, I had some PSX flashbacks. The game over all isn't ugly, it's just decent looking. The blurry resolution isn't helped much by the overdone focus blur and on camera dirt layers.

The Good:
Haven't played that much MP yet, but the hour or so I spent with it was fun. I can easily see myself spending a lot of time with that. I also have hopes that the co-op missions are good, though I can't play them yet (PS3 friend invite bug).

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
BattleMonkey said:

I kinda agree. I was really excited to get it too. But I found that I spent more time looking at it than I should be (to stay alive that is). It helped a couple of times but I don't think it's for me.

I'm glad I can enjoy a game.

I thought the graphics were excellent, locations were amazing and I didn't think any of the levels were dull. There were a few in COD4 that I wouldn't want to replay but there was enough variety this time around to keep me interested. One of the only games I can play for more than an hour or two at a time. I hope more games take a page from Infinity Ward's book because this was one fun campaign. Wasn't offended by anything and enjoyed the level you all are talking about. Who cares if it really was for sales, it worked out for the story.

Plus, multiplayer is a ton of fun. Never really did much with the last game but I'm right back into the swing of things this time around. One awesome game.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
After a few calls and complaints UPS finally delivered my game. I don't understand why UPS or the driver think my workplace was closed for the holiday when the whole building and businesses in the building are open. Maybe they should check first, quite sure the businesses like gamestop and macy's in the downtown area next to my job were opened and got their packages. UPS is something else...ugh.

JaseMath

lawblob said:
Does everyone hate it because its unclear where to go? That was my problem with it; I kept wandering down dead-ends. I didn't think the combat was too bad on that level, though.
I didn't mind the non-linear approach of it - it's a Rio slum after all. The checkpoints were vague and dying over and over again because of it didn't help.

Top Bottom