• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

The thing about Party Chat is that the only real incentive for is to just talk amongst friends. Very rarely will people actually get into a tactical mindset and try to play with teamwork but coordinating each other. But then again I hate hearing little brats moan and scream "sex" on the mic to get attention

snoopeasystreet said:
Having party chat blocked is pretty dumb.

There are ways that they could eliminate cheating without cutting off party chat. Something like locking the camera to a team mate, giving you the exact same field of vision as them would be much better.

Pro tip: If there's just two of you, private chat still works.
How do you get it to work for two people?

phinious

Anyway to turn off autoaim in MP on the 360 version? It seems like my crosshairs keeps jumping to "almost" be on people. Maybe im crazy?!?

cameltoe

phinious said:
Anyway to turn off autoaim in MP on the 360 version? It seems like my crosshairs keeps jumping to "almost" be on people. Maybe im crazy?!?

No way....IW blows dinger for this ommission...

Klyka

Banned
daw840 said:
The mall portion,
which I am assuming is the "offensive" part of the game, was an absolute blast. You never get to actually be the bad guy in any of the FPS games I have ever played.

Man you must have a really awesome mall if it has it's own FUCKING AIRPORT YOU GOD DAMN MORON GOD DAMMIT!

Mr.Green said:
No party chat is a fucking deal breaker and I don't care how many times it has already been mentioned.

You wanna disable it in some l337 h4rDc0r3 modes to please the competitive 14 year olds. Fine. But let me play the game with my friends without having the hear these fucking twats.

I agree, I dont get the thought process behind this. Im sure there was a good reason for this (I hope) but they need to find a way to get it in there. Its ridiculous.

I dont want to have to go set my Voice preferences every time I play a game

TruHero

Banned
I got near the end of the campaign before jumping onto XBL for about 45min last night. Fuckin' awesome game. I was glued to my HDTV

The narrative & action are epic. Truly top-notch campaign. And the MP is just....perfect.

I thought Uncharted2 was going to be my GotY, but MW2 has changed things.

Man.. am I the only one who absolutely ADORES multi-player and yet at the same time absolutely blows at it? Sure, I'll get the occasional 27-19 game... But I'm almost something along the lines of 12-17..

But it's so fun! :lol

Anyone got tips on how to get better? :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't like that one map where it's this big brush patch around what looks like the world's toughest vine fence in the middle. It's just too segmented, so you are out of the action often.

Also, Shepherd told
Price not to launch the nuke. But it seemed like Price wanted to do it anyway...was Shepherd tacitly not saying anything? Like he knew Price would do it so he said stop it even though he wanted Price to do it?

GodofWine

dakster said:
Absolutely ridiculous, they put out a patch that fucks the online up, this all should have been tested. I'm on limited time as it is.

Well, at least they are working on it...they are probably doing something as fast as possible making changes on the fly, which likely means the servers will go in and out until they are done.

Im more happy to see they are working on this on day TWO than pulling a 9 month Slant Six suck-a-thon.

Y2Kev said:
I don't like that one map where it's this big brush patch around what looks like the world's toughest vine fence in the middle. It's just too segmented, so you are out of the action often.

Also, Shepherd told
Price not to launch the nuke. But it seemed like Price wanted to do it anyway...was Shepherd tacitly not saying anything? Like he knew Price would do it so he said stop it even though he wanted Price to do it?

i think my friend told me that its from cod 2.

but yeah i fucking hate that map. always do bad on it.

Inferno313 said:
Man.. am I the only one who absolutely ADORES multi-player and yet at the same time absolutely blows at it? Sure, I'll get the occasional 27-19 game... But I'm almost something along the lines of 12-17..

Dont sprint as much, just move around so ur gun is ready to shoot and you're able to react quickly. Also, what I like to do sometimes is when the game starts, let everyone else run ahead and just follow them into the fight.

How long does it take to complete the campaign ? If it's yet another 6 hours campaign it's no buy for me.

Klyka said:
Man you must have a really awesome mall if it has it's own FUCKING AIRPORT YOU GOD DAMN MORON GOD DAMMIT!
:lol :lol :lol

nofi

DMeisterJ said:
Is anyone else ecstatic that there is no install for MW2. Given how most PS3 games opt for the install, it's a welcome change.

There's a little one, isn't there? Hidden behind the first intro movie?

Milk Lizard said:
How long does it take to complete the campaign ? If it's yet another 6 hours campaign it's no buy for me.

:lol :lol :lol

I did it in one sitting, was a little over 4 hours. Shortest COD campaign I've seen yet.

taoofjord

I want to say that I'm incredibly disappointed by MW2 but I suppose, in a way, it's exactly what I expected. Leading up to the game's release I kinda felt like this forum was being a bit too harsh on it but now I pretty much agree with everyone's complaints -- and then some.

Multiplayer is still fantastic, but unfortunately, I played MW1 to death and am just not feeling MW2's cool tweaks... I'm just sort of worn out on it I guess. Not to mention that the community is filled with jerky people who are just out to get the highest kill count as opposed to playing the game to have fun.

Haven't tried spec ops yet, but it seems enjoyable enough... so no comment on that.

Single player, though, is where my main problems are. The graphics are disappointing, especially after playing games like Batman: AA, Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, and Midnight Club: LA. It feels very old school PC-ish, in that the environments feel very sterile and crafted as opposed to organic. Not a lot of attention is put into the blending of textures (floor meeting wall, for example). It's not an ugly game by any means, but for such a high profile, high budget game I expect more (same goes with Halo: ODST).

Beyond the visuals, the campaign's writing is pretty bad. The opening narrative monologue is cringe-inducing with EVERY line being yanked from countless other war movie cliches. The missions also feel completely disconnected, and sometimes, feel of little importance.

Then, the "shooting gallery" gameplay, which I enjoyed all the way up to MW1, now feels stale to me. Same goes with the scripted sequences. I'm pretty sure this has to do with Uncharted 2 as it really blew me away with its brilliant set pieces and "interactive cut scenes".

Finally, the game feels like it wants to be realistic and ALSO be an over-the-top action movie and it just doesn't mesh, in my opinion.

The game isn't bad by any stretch, but I'm thinking it's just not for me. Based on what I want out of a game, and out of an FPS, the stuff I list above bothers me enough to hinder my enjoyment. I might have to take this one back to the store. :\

Y2Kev said:

Also, Shepherd told

I think Shepherd wants the war to continue, because he wants America to give a shit about the events in MW1 instead of just being "oh dear". Prices plan was to heavily fuck with the war going on in the east coast (nuke goes off in space, EMP's everything, everything gets shut off basically and "calms" shit down (no helicopters, tanks, UAV, missiles etc flying around), not what Shepherd wants.

-PXG-

Because Party Chat has been disabled, I've already been called a nigger twice :/

This is why we SHOULD have nice things.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ogs said:
I think Shepherd wants the war to continue, because he wants America to give a shit about the events in MW1 instead of just being "oh dear". Prices plan was to heavily fuck with the war going on in the east coast (nuke goes off in space, EMP's everything, everything gets shut off basically and "calms" shit down (no helicopters, tanks, UAV, missiles etc flying around), not what Shepherd wants.
But Shepherd continues to work with
Price until he betrays him. I mean, you'd think this would be war crimes level stuff :lol

Shepherd is a boring Big Boss ripoff.

VaLiancY

Y2Kev said:
Price until he betrays him. I mean, you'd think this would be war crimes level stuff :lol

I thought I was the only who got a major
Metal Gear Solid
vibe from this game.

-PXG- said:
Because Party Chat has been disabled, I've already been called a nigger twice :/

you can go in and set your voice settings to hear people on your friends list only. Its a pain in the ass and shouldnt have to deal with it, but at least you wont hear a bunch of racial slurs.

As far as IW makings fun of F.A.G.S., I havent seen a setting "turn off idiot PR stunts"

Ogs said:
Prices plan was to heavily fuck with the war going on in the east coast (nuke goes off in space, EMP's everything, everything gets shut off basically and "calms" shit down (no helicopters, tanks, UAV, missiles etc flying around), not what Shepherd wants.

Where did the jet come from at the end of the mission? Shouldn't that be shut down too?

This game is soooooooo much fun.

I probably don't need to read any of the spoiler stuff......... as I haven't really played much of the story mode yet.

ghibli99

taoofjord said:
I want to say that I'm incredibly disappointed by MW2 but I suppose, in a way, it's exactly what I expected. Leading up to the game's release I kinda felt like this forum was being a bit too harsh on it but now I pretty much agree with everyone's complaints -- and then some.

Multiplayer is still fantastic, but unfortunately, I played MW1 to death and am just not feeling MW2's cool tweaks... I'm just sort of worn out on it I guess. Not to mention that the community is filled with jerky people who are just out to get the highest kill count as opposed to playing the game to have fun.

Haven't tried spec ops yet, but it seems enjoyable enough... so no comment on that.

Single player, though, is where my main problems are. The graphics are disappointing, especially after playing games like Batman: AA, Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, and Midnight Club: LA. It feels very old school PC-ish, in that the environments feel very sterile and crafted as opposed to organic. Not a lot of attention is put into the blending of textures (floor meeting wall, for example). It's not an ugly game by any means, but for such a high profile, high budget game I expect more (same goes with Halo: ODST).

Beyond the visuals, the campaign's writing is pretty bad. The opening narrative monologue is cringe-inducing with EVERY line being yanked from countless other war movie cliches. The missions also feel completely disconnected, and sometimes, feel of little importance.

Then, the "shooting gallery" gameplay, which I enjoyed all the way up to MW1, now feels stale to me. Same goes with the scripted sequences. I'm pretty sure this has to do with Uncharted 2 as it really blew me away with its brilliant set pieces and "interactive cut scenes".

Finally, the game feels like it wants to be realistic and ALSO be an over-the-top action movie and it just doesn't mesh, in my opinion.

The game isn't bad by any stretch, but I'm thinking it's just not for me. Based on what I want out of a game, and out of an FPS, the stuff I list above bothers me enough to hinder my enjoyment. I might have to take this one back to the store. :\
Thanks for the impressions. I was really excited about playing through this one, but after cancelling my PC preorder based on the unbelievable crap I read in the 'hubris and BS' thread, I'm not even motivated to pick up a console version. And from what I've been hearing around the office, folks are sharing your meh impressions... I do think a lot of it comes from the high bar that was set with recent games like UC2 that MW2 just feels a bit unpolished, behind the curve, and a retread in some respects.

I know that I will play it someday. Just not right now.

Y2Kev said:

Pretty sure he still needed Price & Gang for the location of Makarov's safe houses, once they pulled the data (which probably had Makarov's location in there), thats when he pulled out his cuntyness, to clean up the whole CIA fuckup, as the people in task force 141 were the only ones to know about it.

I thought it was more like a series of 24, constantly going further up the food chain of bad guys :lol

MarkMclovin said:
Where did the jet come from at the end of the mission? Shouldn't that be shut down too?

Im guessing they came from outside of the EMP blast zone, they did take awhile to get there :p

BattleMonkey said:
Minor detail in a game full of plot holes, especially gaping one such as
Russia somehow doing a surprise invasion of the US all the way up the Virginia with no one noticing, or even how completely impossible it would be to do such a thing without the need of hundreds of air craft carriers that would need to go through international waters undetected.

Thats what that ACS module at the beginning of the game was about, they used it to disable/bypass all the detection stuff America has. Yeah its stretching it completely but thats there reason :lol Just how the Russians got that thing, i have no idea, nor do i think its explained.

dakster

Neo Member
Inferno313 said:

I'm not a great player but normally can finish first or second in free for all.

Keep your gun chest to head level all the time, the amount of people that run around with cross hairs pointing at the ground in fps is unreal.

If you dont have headphones get a pair and use them, you've probably seen plenty of people on killcam sitting stationary while the enemy around them is charging about like an elephant, yet they don't react = them dead.

When going round corners already have the sights ready to shoot.

Reload when you get a chance, don't run about with a quarter fill mag.

Learn the maps best you can!

More experienced players can probably add a lot more, but the above will improve your game.

MarkMclovin said:

Minor detail in a game full of plot holes, especially gaping one such as
Russia somehow doing a surprise invasion of the US all the way up the Virginia with no one noticing, or even how completely impossible it would be to do such a thing without the need of hundreds of air craft carriers that would need to go through international waters undetected.

Mik2121

So.. what's exactly going on with the PS3 version? Is the online working or not? Does some update mess it or what?.

I'm probably getting my game tomorrow or in two days, and I'd like to know what to do whenever I get it!. Or maybe by then all this mess is fixed?

Sushen

taoofjord said:
Solid 4/10 for you, I guess. There are stores that take back opened games nowadays?

Arjen

-PXG- said:

I've been called a fat American because i spoke Dutch (???)
and that i'm a stupid foreigner (????)
and the usual other bullshit.
All in high pithed voices offcourse.
*sigh*

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Party Chat disabled on TDM is the most stupid thing ever and is really killing my enjoyment. Really, I don't wanna hear some fucktards, I wanna talk with my friends, joke, waste time... etc, can't do that with 12 people. It's one of the dumbest decisions I've seen this generation. Really stupid IW. Fix it =(

cresto

Is installing MW2 onto the 360 HD worth it? I don't really have the room, but I think it might run a bit smoother.

If it IS: Can I delete my Lost and Damned DLC and redownload it later?

Mr.Green

-PXG- said:

IW really dropped the fucking ball on this one. I guess that's what happens when developers mistake their forum members for a significant part of the people buying their games.

I'm sure the kids playing this for hours a day are thrilled by this feature but for 99.9% of the people it's a fucking pain in the ass.

I know you can restrict chat in the privacy settings but it's inconvenient. You need to sign off Live and back in every time. At least make an in-game option to mute everyone not on your friends list? Or even better: apologies ---> patch.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I really hope Sony doesn't give in like Microsoft when they have party chat next year. Because that would suck big time.

It should be up to the developer to ensure there wont be any cheating, not by disabling premium services that people have enjoyed for years up to this point.

Klyka

Banned
I just mute everyone except my mates. It's like party chat. Sure the others can hear you,but that just makes it more fun to talk trash about them.

SalientOne

Internet Batman
Wow, now that I've played through the campaign, "No Russian" makes so much more sense and I've totally changed my mind about IW's intentions. They really are amazing artists and entertainers.

NOT.

Playing the level in context only makes it even more obvious that this was a cheap and sensational way of generating more pre-sales and attention for the game. I hope the boys at IW can sleep with themselves when this is inevitably mirrored by a real life event inspired by their game. Actually, I hope that they can't.

Top Bottom