• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Wizman23

Banned
For all you bitching about no Party Chat its not the end of the world. Go into your profile and turn voice so you can only communicate with friends. This is not brain surgery.

Arjen said:
I've been called a fat American because i spoke Dutch (???)
and that i'm a stupid foreigner (????)
and the usual other bullshit.
All in high pithed voices offcourse.
*sigh*

Its crap like this, more than any player caps, that makes dedicated servers such a better experience. On any half decent server those fuckwits would be gone within seconds, never to return, alas now even PC gamers are at the mercy of the mass of idiots. If this is progress, then I'm happy to live in the past.

VaLiancY

Ogs said:
Thats what that ACS module at the beginning of the game was about, they used it to disable/bypass all the detection stuff America has. Yeah its stretching it completely but thats there reason :lol Just how the Russians got that thing, i have no idea, nor do i think its explained.

That's what I didn't get. What about the basic radar systems on warships or America's allies giving a heads up. My head hurts

TruHero

Banned
ghibli99 said:
Thanks for the impressions. I was really excited about playing through this one, but after cancelling my PC preorder based on the unbelievable crap I read in the 'hubris and BS' thread, I'm not even motivated to pick up a console version. And from what I've been hearing around the office, folks are sharing your meh impressions... I do think a lot of it comes from the high bar that was set with recent games like UC2 that MW2 just feels a bit unpolished, behind the curve, and a retread in some respects.

I know that I will play it someday. Just not right now.

Sounds to me like you are just looking for affirmation that MW2 isn't "all that". There are plenty of us in here who think MW2 is fantastic.

Shnookums said:
Is spec-ops mode for 2 players or does it go up to 4?

2 player max. But Special Ops is still incredibly fun. Kinda short though

Mr.Green

Klyka said:
I just mute everyone except my mates. It's like party chat. Sure the others can hear you,but that just makes it more fun to talk trash about them.

Congratulations. Your breed makes party chat a necessity.

_Xenon_

Banned
How did the Russian cross the whole US land and go all the way to the capital without being noticed? I know they used the module to disable the satellite network but I don't think that thing can make their huge & loud ass air carries invisible.

And for 'that' level ... the level itself is kind of necessary for the plot but the way IW carried it out is truly disgusting.

Controversial content + leaked video + 12 yo kids going apeshit = more $$$ I guess.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Wizman23 said:
For all you bitching about no Party Chat its not the end of the world. Go into your profile and turn voice so you can only communicate with friends. This is not brain surgery.

I am not in a Party Chat with everyone playing MW2. We are usually playing different games, or some are playing MW2 and the other SF4, stuff like that. Care to give me a workaround for that?

Mik2121

Man, I'm going to play some COD4 to get ready for MW2 whenever it arrives tomorrow :_)

I'll be probably laughed at by all my PSN Friends :(

winnarps

Klyka said:
I just mute everyone except my mates. It's like party chat. Sure the others can hear you,but that just makes it more fun to talk trash about them.

Yep.

I muted a ton of people last night when we had to actually fill the rest of our team out, but it wasn't that much of a hassle.

Don't understand why there's so much complaining. They give you the mute feature for a reason.

Edit: As for the different game scenario, well, I don't have an answer. That usually doesn't affect me, so I don't really care.

cameltoe

-PXG- said:
Because Party Chat has been disabled, I've already been called a nigger twice :/

This is why we SHOULD have nice things.

I muted a room full last night...it was a war! No one was really playing just yelling at each other.

I have a ps3 is anyone having trouble connecting to multiplayer it's stuck on online status
fetching playlists and updating rank and unlocks.. it's been like this for like 30 minutes....

Barrett2

Im' on the last mission right now, playing on Hardened.

IW are just incredible at creating a guided FPS experience. When you consider how many shitty FPS games are made each year, the number of 'holy shit' moments packed into MW & MW2 is just awesome.

I feel bad, I have been ignoring party requests since I got this, but damn this single player is keeping my attention.

Solomon said:
Wow, now that I've played through the campaign, "No Russian" makes so much more sense and I've totally changed my mind about IW's intentions. They really are amazing artists and entertainers.

NOT.

Playing the level in context only makes it even more obvious that this was a cheap and sensational way of generating more pre-sales and attention for the game. I hope the boys at IW can sleep with themselves when this is inevitably mirrored by a real life event inspired by their game. Actually, I hope that they can't.

After i finished the level i felt like i fully understood exactly why that was put in there.

Its shocking and horrific, its meant to be, not so Fox news can have a bash on it, its so the player thinks "holy shit", and its meant to make the player really fucking hate this Makarov guy. Watching the team slowly walk through the place with absolutely no remorse for what there doing, just shows how nasty these guys are, you the player, really want to take him down, but then right at the end, with the big twist, it sets up the rest of the game. Russia thinks America did the massacre, hence why the war starts. Its grim, its meant to be, and it only gets grimmer.

Although there is 1 thing that got me, 1 of the guys got killed through the mission, why wasnt he identified as a Russian ? Blah

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
VaLiancY said:
I thought I was the only who got a major
Metal Gear Solid
vibe from this game.
A little bit of MGS, and a little bit of The Rock, I thought.

I just finished the campaign, and liked it a lot, for what it's worth. Less variation in the missions than the first game, but I thought that they were much more memorable, overall.
The Gulag, the oil rig, the streets of Virginia and D.C. — really great locales and experiences.
It's still all very formulaic, though, and feels like the same old COD campaign (for better or worse).

Arjen

Wizman23 said:

I have friends that play other games, and i have friends off friends joining from time to time.
Whats the point of no partychat allowed in TDM and Domination??
Discussing tactics? Pff come on.

VaLiancY said:
That's what I didn't get. What about the basic radar systems on warships or America's allies giving a heads up. My head hurts

Yea it's completely stupid, but also
The whole idea of a russian invasion is just ridiculous. The amount of warships needed to even get all those planes, choppers, troops across the seas to America would be the largest flotilla of ships in the history of mankind that somehow America never noticed being made or that no international ally noticed moving across the ocean. It's basically impossible for Russia to have flown the entire invasion force that we see in the game across such a distance. So the game assumes that an incident triggers this invasion, so Russia magically had the largest navy in History of mankind sitting around waiting in hiding for use at some specified date?

f0u8t4.jpg

So I'm guessing a new Call of Duty came out recently...

big_z said:
just finished the single player tonight.... no idea what the hell happened.

From what I gathered, Shepard was the army commander of the attack in MW1 that ended in the nuclear device going off and killing so many troops and feels that the US didn't respond properly. Between MW1 and MW2, the relationship between Russia and the US started to fall apart. Shepard doubtlessly arranged for the defense satellite ending up in Russian hands. He hires the Terrorist-for-profit Makarov and "plants" an American soldier in deep cover with his group. Makarov leads an attack on a Russian airport, ending with shooting the plant to put the blame on the US. Russia blames the US for the terrorist attack and launches a full-scale preemptive strike, using the codes they got from the satellite to get the drop on the US. Meanwhile, using shells from the attack, 141 trace down the arms dealer who sold the weapons Makarov used in the attack in Rio. During this time, Russia's attack has become a full scale invasion, with Russia promising to kill 1,000 Americans for every Russian civilian lost in the terror attack.

This is where the plot kind of gets hazy for me:

Discovering Makarov behind the attack, they also learn that he was interested in a certain prisoner being held in the Gulag. They sneak past Russia's defenses and rescue the prisoner, discovering it was Price. Makarov meanwhile uses one of his men in the Russian army to kill some VIP. Shepard wants the 141 to go directly after Makarov, but Price wants to help stop the war first. To do so, he launches a nuclear missile at Washington D.C., distroying it in relative safety in the atmosphere and using the explosion to knock out electronics in the area, the surprise of which the US soldiers use to their advantege to drive the Russians out of their holdings in DC. The threat of the nuke launch frightens Shepard's supiors enough that they grant him total leeway with the army.
Shepard sends Soap and company to hunt down Makarov, narrowing is hiding place to one of two locations: a hidden mountain retreat and an airplane graveyard. Roach and Ghost go to the retreat while Soap and Price check out the Graveyard. While both groups check for Makarov, with Roach and Ghost using his computer to look for more clues on his location, Shepard's loyal soldiers launch an attack on both. Ghost and Roach are killed by Shepard personally, and their bodies are burned. Soap and Price escape through a fire-fight between Shepard's men and Makarov's terrorists. With nothing else to lose, Price and Soap hunt down Shepard.

Chaplain

DreamMachine said:
I have a ps3 is anyone having trouble connecting to multiplayer it's stuck on online status
fetching playlists and updating rank and unlocks.. it's been like this for like 30 minutes....

The new patch breaks matchmaking. So no multiplayer until another patch is issued from what I have read.

RavenFox

Banned
Darn online is still not up. Shucks after such a good multiplayer romp lastnight. Guess SP or spec-ops until its sorted out.
Game Analyst said:
The new patch breaks matchmaking. So no multiplayer until another patch is issued. lol
The patch did this shit? IW can you get your shit together please.

snap0212

What the hell? IW fix the PS3 Version... now. This is ridiculous.

Some people paid $150 for this game. You better get all of it working.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Klyka said:

I don't see how this is a good thing.

I don't speak much online, but when I do, it might be to give some kind of advice like "behind you!" or "you take the right"

I obviously think they can hear me if I can hear them, but hey guess what they've muted me.

Don't see why certain people are SOOOOO intent on sticking to their little cliques. sorry but if you fuckers are on my team, I want to be able to hear you and be heard. Otherwise YOU'RE THE PROBLEM in your own little private chats talking about what you're gonna have for dinner or some shit.

Sure you get annoying idiots, I don't know how many as I haven't ventured online yet, but when it gets bad I mute one person or I turn my volume down. I don't need to have a chit chat while I play. If I'm talking during the game then I'm talking about the game and there's no need for privacy there.

There should be an option where party chat is public or private. Its best for creating a party and playing together, but why does a stranger have to be on the outside unless invited? sucks.

McLovin

Beat the game in one sitting.. pretty good single player. Unfortunately all the annoyances from the first game where still there for me. Infinite enemies spawns(although not as bad) and AI thats as dumb as bricks. Not that they where easy(I died allot) but I got the feeling that they weren't really thinking all that much. One of my favorite parts "hooooooly shiiiiiiit eeeemmmmpppp!!1" I was like wtf?!

SalientOne

Internet Batman
Ogs said:
After i finished the level i felt like i fully understood exactly why that was put in there.

Its shocking and horrific, its meant to be, not so Fox news can have a bash on it, its so the player thinks "holy shit", and its meant to make the player really fucking hate this Makarov guy. Watching the team slowly walk through the place with absolutely no remorse for what there doing, just shows how nasty these guys are, you the player, really want to take him down, but then right at the end, with the big twist, it sets up the rest of the game. Russia thinks America did the massacre, hence why the war starts. Its grim, its meant to be, and it only gets grimmer.

Although there is 1 thing that got me, 1 of the guys got killed through the mission, why wasnt he identified as a Russian ? Blah

Come on. THAT'S the biggest problem that you had with the internal story logic for that level?

How about the fact that
you're a fucking CIA agent walking through an airport of civilians, mowing them all down??? There's no way to deviate from this and progress. You can't shoot down Makarov and his men (like any agent would when placed in this situation - no, scratch that - a real agent would have informed his handlers and the agency would have intervened), and you can't play a passive role in the assault without taking part. I also LOVE (sarcasm) the start of the level where you walk out of an elevator with an exposed arsenal of weapons pointed at the civilians and guards and they stand there silently watching you as though you are a pack of harmless janitors.
The WHOLE THING makes no sense, it's sloppy storytelling and it exists for only one reason: IW said, "you know what would be AWESOME and help sell like millions of extra copies of our fucking game? if you could
gun down civvies in a fucking airport,
that's what! Now come up with a story excuse for it."

Kotick is laughing to the bank and IW are a bunch of reprehensible jackasses for doing it.

TruHero

Banned
lawblob said:
Im' on the last mission right now, playing on Hardened.

IW are just incredible at creating a guided FPS experience. When you consider how many shitty FPS games are made each year, the number of 'holy shit' moments packed into MW & MW2 is just awesome.

I feel bad, I have been ignoring party requests since I got this, but damn this single player is keeping my attention.

Yeah man.

"Thrill Ride" is definitely an apt description of the campaign. So many "holy shit" shit moments. The campaign is short, but sweet.:D

Mr.Green

Wizman23 said:

Besides the points against it that already have been made and that you so conveniently ignored because it didn't fit with your biting rebutal, the problem I had with that when I played that way is that sometimes there are friends of friends in your party you'd want to chat with but not necessarily add to your friends list because, you know, it might be full or something.

Maybe they've added "friends of friends" in the privacy settings since then but I highly fucking doubt it.

Besides, I don't wanna get too dramatic here, but IW has no business disabling a feature of Live I pay for every fucking year. Like kids who wanna cheat won't just use Ventrilo on their PC or something anyway.

I really don't like the missions in America so far because suburban Virginia is so terribly boring compared to the Favela or Kazakhstan mountains.

Klyka

Banned
kaizoku said:
I don't see how this is a good thing.

I don't speak much online, but when I do, it might be to give some kind of advice like "behind you!" or "you take the right"

I obviously think they can hear me if I can hear them, but hey guess what they've muted me.

Don't see why certain people are SOOOOO intent on sticking to their little cliques. sorry but if you fuckers are on my team, I want to be able to hear you and be heard. Otherwise YOU'RE THE PROBLEM in your own little private chats talking about what you're gonna have for dinner or some shit.

Sure you get annoying idiots, I don't know how many as I haven't ventured online yet, but when it gets bad I mute one person or I turn my volume down. I don't need to have a chit chat while I play. If I'm talking during the game then I'm talking about the game and there's no need for privacy there.

There should be an option where party chat is public or private. Its best for creating a party and playing together, but why does a stranger have to be on the outside unless invited? sucks.

I worded it wrong. I mute everyone except my mates and people who have a decent voice/speak english. I don't need to hear some dudes talk in spanish or russian or whatever. I also mute little kids or people with annoying/grating voices. After all is said and done, there are usually not many people unmuted. :lol

bloodline

Neo Member
MSN has up one of the better reviews I've seen for the game. Its really demonstrates just how sad all the "gaming" sites are. Game journalists really are nothing but fanboys. I miss the likes of Shawn Elliott and company over at 1up. I mean, the reviews I read/watched on gametrailers, ign, and giant bomb were absolutely terrible. They all may as well been the same review. I guess the more traditional outlets have become a better source for game reviews these days.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30501433/vp/33844922#33844922

-PXG-

Oops. Too busy playing and recovery from the flu...

PM me if you want to be added to the meta gamertag.

There are around 35 spots left. If I don't add you now, you will be added later. Everyone is added in the order in which the PMs are recieved.

ScOULaris

In response to single-player:

Wow, I haven't seen a complete lack of understanding the importance of transitions in storytelling since Tommy Wiseau's The Room.

MW2 just jumps from one hollow, overdone set-piece to the next, with maybe a jam-filled shooting gallery romp wedged in between. The story is illogical, and you never get a chance to give a damn about ANY of the characters.

When a game just sprints forward through its plot with little-to-no transitions or slow points in which you can reflect upon the events of the story, you get a choppy mess.

IW should take a good look at Uncharted 2, which so effortlessly kept a fast pace and told a good adventure story while giving the player control during all of the most exciting parts.

On the plus side, MP is as good as ever. :D

ghibli99 said:
Thanks for the impressions. I was really excited about playing through this one, but after cancelling my PC preorder based on the unbelievable crap I read in the 'hubris and BS' thread, I'm not even motivated to pick up a console version. And from what I've been hearing around the office, folks are sharing your meh impressions... I do think a lot of it comes from the high bar that was set with recent games like UC2 that MW2 just feels a bit unpolished, behind the curve, and a retread in some respects.

I know that I will play it someday. Just not right now.

All I have to say is "to each his own"

I don't agree with any of the stuff the dude you are responding to said......

It seems there are far too many haters who thought the game was going to be more than it is. They got their feelings hurt and are now picking things to cry about.

The game was made for fun..... not for being real or for "movie" purposes as the guy made the comment about.

Who cares about the acting/story line/cut scenes/etc.... ????

Didn't you buy the game to have fun and shoot some enemies? Did you get that taken care of?

As for the comment about "the game seems to be for jerky people who care about their Kill Death Ratio/Kill score"..... let them have their fun. The game can't stand fun to people who camp for very long. If you seem to have gotten yourself into a match with all campers.... drink the koolaid and put your back into a corner.... wait it out. Shoot when you can. orrrrr you could just quit and go find a new game.

Concept17

My impressions so far of the PC version...

My PC blows through the game with no problem on a 4870. But then, the game doesn't really look that great. The lighting is its best asset, as everything else looks a bit dated at this point, and like others have said, having played UC2 recently, this game just doesn't look good, even the single player set pieces.

I've only played a couple hours of singleplayer, and so far its 'ok'. It moves too quickly and you don't really care all that much, but the missions themselves are pretty entertaining. Not a lot to say here, as I got the game for multiplayer.

I'm only rank 13 right now, but so far things are pretty great. The additions to the game help add a fair amount of variety to situations, rather than the same repeated 10 seconds that happened in 4. Its not as repetitive, which is a huge plus for me. Naturally the lack of a server browser and dedicated servers sucks. The first few connections I had all were terrible pings, and in addition, you only get bars that represent your ping, and not an actual number. It is quite clearly a direct port of the console online system, which hasn't changed much since 4. Matchmaking on the other hand is faster this time around.

The reward system is much much better this time. You feel a bit more compelled to master one gun at a time than before. And all the new experience gains keeps the experience fresh. Sniper rifles seem improved this time around, but that may just be that I'm on PC instead of console this time around. Machine guns I haven't tried much, but they seem a bit more difficult. SMGs are fantastic, as well as automatic pistols. Regular pistols are about what you would expect.

Have yet to get very far in any mode though, so we'll see how it goes. Haven't tried spec ops yet either.

Solomon said:
Come on. THAT'S the biggest problem that you had with the internal story logic for that level?

How about the fact that
you're a fucking CIA agent walking through an airport of civilians, mowing them all down??? There's no way to deviate from this and progress. You can't shoot down Makarov and his men (like any agent would when placed in this situation - no, scratch that - a real agent would have informed his handlers and the agency would have intervened), and you can't play a passive role in the assault without taking part. I also LOVE (sarcasm) the start of the level where you walk out of an elevator with an exposed arsenal of weapons pointed at the civilians and guards and they stand there silently watching you as though you are a pack of harmless janitors.
The WHOLE THING makes no sense, it's sloppy storytelling and it exists for only one reason: IW said, "you know what would be AWESOME and help sell like millions of extra copies of our fucking game? if you could
gun down civvies in a fucking airport,
that's what! Now come up with a story excuse for it."

Kotick is laughing to the bank and IW are a bunch of reprehensible jackasses for doing it.

He possibly needed to get deeper into Makarov's doings so they can grab each and every person involved with him ? And how do you know how the CIA operates ? There pretty well known for being brutal. Also, the opening, i guess if you were in an airport where security guards carry weapons openly, and you see a bunch of guys walk out heavily armed, you wouldnt be confused for a few seconds at all (they open fire pretty damn quickly after the civilians turn there heads) ?

Im not saying they didnt stretch out the story to pure unbelievable, they did, but simply writing off this level as purely a shocker isnt right imo.

Edit - You also have remember the CIA guy reported to Shepherd, who probably told him to continue with the attack.

McLovin

One thing I noticed about the visuals is that inside the lighting, textures etc. look great. MP maps look great too(the ones I played) but the out door woods parts look horrible. Easily last get looking. I wish they would have polished the whole game to look consistent throughout.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
DreamMachine said:

Yes, same. Just wanted to get some matches in, but can't. Glad to know I'm not alone.

Edeuinu

Just a trophy question for anyone that knows.

I seemed to be getting them but I think they may have stopped popping for some reason but want to be sure before I continue.

The last story one I got was Cold Shoulder.
This is obviously after the snow mobile level. After that is the airport level (which does not have one I hear), then you chase that dude through the shanty-like town and the guy with the hawk tackles him on a car. Then you start off in Virginia in the suburbs and I'm on top of a resturant.
I'm descriptive right?! Anyway, should I have gotten another one since, or at the end of the one I'm on then?

I grabbed the update this morning, but saved on that level I was just on about half way through last night. Blah.

Shadow780 said:
yeah.....so is the PC version any good?

I'm mostly just gonna play campaign and co-op with friend(s)

Its the best version without a doubt, but the multiplayer is gimped to console standards now. If you're not planning to put much time into the multiplayer anyway, I guess that's a none issue.

Top Bottom